As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump's Lame Duck Extravaganza

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Um...

Dave Wasserman, editor of the Cook Political Report, calling it for Warnock. Seems early still.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I can't believe "I hate black churches" didn't work out

Wait, what

Loefflerism?

• Options
    Um...

Dave Wasserman, editor of the Cook Political Report, calling it for Warnock. Seems early still.

This one isn’t surprising he already beat her by a few percent in November

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Um...

He did it! He said the thing!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    If Ossoff also wins I want the entire Democratic leadership, touching their foreheads to the ground, in front of Stacey Abrams, on live TV.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Like I said at the bottom of last page, GA is where VA was in 2006. You have a huge population center that ends up finishing last and it's very democratic. One pretty much either needs to show signs they'll do well in that center or have a large enough lead to prevent that center from chucking them in the trash bin of history.

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Dry January is tough right now, ya'll.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    If Ossoff also wins I want the entire Democratic leadership, touching their foreheads to the ground, in front of Stacey Abrams, on live TV.

Said it before but she should be given the DNC chairperson

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    With est 77% reporting in, Warnock still ahead by 1.7% and Ossoff just ticked up from 0.9% to a 1.0% lead and both are over performing from the general.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dry January is tough right now, ya'll.

Fill your belly with root beer or sparkly water!! The bubbles will make you too full to reach for the booze and you can still be happy sober!

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

motherfuckers better make like it's Minas Tirith and there are still three fades to black left.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Yeah, Abrams needs to be treated like a damn demigod if the Dems pull this off.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    With est 77% reporting in, Warnock still ahead by 1.7% and Ossoff just ticked up from 0.9% to a 1.0% lead and both are over performing from the general.

Are you watching the needle? Those are projected numbers. In terms of votes counted both Republicans are actually ahead, but unlikely to remain there.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I can't believe "I hate black churches" didn't work out

worked for the proud boys.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    DHS wrote: »

motherfuckers better make like it's Minas Tirith and there are still three fades to black left.

I have shame I don’t get this reference ::hands over nerd card::

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »

Are you watching the needle? Those are projected numbers. In terms of votes counted both Republicans are actually ahead, but unlikely to remain there.

According to the 538 liveblog, there's roughly 685k votes left in blue areas, and 350k votes left in red, so things are looking pretty good for Dems right now.

But the real winner is going to be Manchin, and oof. But assuming things hold, at least shit will get votes for the first time in a fucking decade.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Ossoff is projected to end 1% up?????

The needle wouldn’t betray us would it

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Only if we can give her another run at Georgia governor too. With a pissed off Trump base, she would beat Kemp.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

Only if we can give her another run at Georgia governor too. With a pissed off Trump base, she would beat Kemp.

I saw some musing on the 538 blog that there's some data showing that Trump drove turnout of low propensity voters. When he's not on the ballot, things may very well revert to more like the 2018 results.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    This post right here, by Geoffrey Skelley is a good indication of this not being a good night for republicans, from 538
    Best I can tell, Perdue and Loeffler are running slightly behind Trump in margin. We’re up to 107 counties that have reported 95 percent or more of their expected vote, and if you total up the votes in those places, Trump won them by 25.7 points in November. But Perdue is only up 25.3 points in those places and Loeffler is up 24.8 points. Plenty of votes left to count, but that’s not what the GOP wants, especially as many of these are Republican-leaning places.

Pretty much, looks like early indications are off and the republicans are lagging behind Trump's numbers. This could be an indication that Trump did succeed in suppressing his party's turnout. We just need to see how all the blue strongholds look when they report in. That said though, if they are behind Trump in red country, they probably are doing worse in blue country than how they did in the general.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    DHS wrote: »

I have shame I don’t get this reference ::hands over nerd card::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtzudk40pE

the movie Return of the King is notorious for being nearly 4 hours long but have three fades to black before it actually ends

also Minas Tirith is the name of the city that is in. it's my go to for a reference of power supplicating to those who actually won it for them.

DHS on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

According to the 538 liveblog, there's roughly 685k votes left in blue areas, and 350k votes left in red, so things are looking pretty good for Dems right now.

But the real winner is going to be Manchin, and oof. But assuming things hold, at least shit will get votes for the first time in a fucking decade.

Unified Democratic control means we get to pass a full budget. Also, add technical corrections to things in must pass legislation like the NDAA. The SCOTUS case against the ACA gets mooted when they restore the mandate, even if it's just $1. &c. It's huge. We can't change black letter law for things like immigration reform without 10 Republicans, but the budget is so fucking much.

Also, fully staff the goddamn Government and Courts.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Unified Democratic control means we get to pass a full budget. Also, add technical corrections to things in must pass legislation like the NDAA. The SCOTUS case against the ACA gets mooted when they restore the mandate, even if it's just $1. &c. It's huge. We can't change black letter law for things like immigration reform without 10 Republicans, but the budget is so fucking much.

This post reads to me like we would still have the filibuster and I don’t like it

• Options

This post reads to me like we would still have the filibuster and I don’t like it

We would. Manchin and Feinstein won't vote to remove it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021

We would. Manchin and Feinstein won't vote to remove it.

Decent chance Feinstein won't be a problem for long, but yeah Manchin sucks. a lot.

edit: oops not a mortality thing but given reports of cognitive decline she may be inclined to "retire"

DHS on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Also, NO MORE MAJORITY LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL.

Which, the amount of shoulder tension that will relieve across America cannot be overstated!

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Not going to get too excited. But I fully expected a repeat of most “Dems have a chance but it’ll be an upset” nights where polls open and it’s just instantly clear they lost

So this is nice

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I think a vein in my forehead just exploded

• Options
    I just can't wait for Trump to split the GOP in two.

• Options

We will.

However, so many things are budget authority under the Byrd Rule. Like, so much.

Want COVID Relief? Not, $2,000 checks. I'm taking $3trn in aid to State and Local governments plus the Post Office and worker protections as a string attached for PPP loans, COVID Relief. That's budgetary. Want a $trn in infrastructure investment to build a high speed rail network? That's budgetary authority. Want to double ACA subsidies? That's budgetary.

So fucking much.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Uh, what happens if it's 1/1? Does the senate go red by default?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It would be 51/49, yes

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Sadly, Manchin seems keen on keep that shitty thing around. We'll see how the cards land though if the democrats win both races tonight and the GOP inevitable grinds shit to a halt because they are petty, entitled little shits. I'm betting we see the filibuster eat some sort of nerf though because Manchin was getting pissed about some of the gridlock. If I had to guess, it might be something like a rule where the majority leader can hold a vote to suspend the filibuster on key legislation like budget bills. (edit: to clarify, I mean hold a vote that only requires a simple majority, rather than the two-thirds to suspect having the filibuster active during certain votes).

My hope is he doesn't get in the way of granting DC and PR statehood because that likely would negate much of his new found power. On the other hand, he might prefer a setup where the democrats have a 2 or 4 seat majority (I don't see the first set of senators for either prospective state being republican because of how badly the GOP has shat on both) because it let's him break ranks on legislation they might want, that his base doesn't care for. With a 50-50 split that doesn't really exist and he might not want the rap of being the democrat that fucks everything up.

Mill on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Maybe we can actually help some people out financially when Dems can call for an up or down vote on shit

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well I'm not holding my breath for Democrats turning on the money faucet for us plebs.

• Options
    I should say that Democrats would only get 2 of those Bills, and so they take a shitload of time to write since you are literally putting everything into it. So that's not, like, a January 21st thing. But it's huge. And forcing the filibuster votes on things Republicans don't want to have to answer for should also help force the issue for things like the $2k checks.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Well I'm not holding my breath for Democrats turning on the money faucet for us plebs.

Neither am I, but at least it's a possibility now.

For the love of God, Democrats, don't fuck this up.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

They did the last time they had unified control.

• Options
    Even just removing McConnell as leader is huge.

There’s a lot of legislation that has heavy public pressure to pass that the GOP doesn’t want. If brought to a vote, the GOP would piss off a lot of their own supporters if they didn’t pass it. McConnell protects them by just not bringing House bills for a vote and the legislation just dies.

Without McConnell to protect the GOP, they’ll lose that protection. It’s hardly a perfect solution with the filibuster, but it’s orders of magnetic better than McConnell remaining as leader.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Reporter for the economist? THE DREAM IS REAL!?!

Folks, it's over. We have enough returns to project that both Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff will win their Senate runoffs in Georgia, giving Democrats control of the US Senate.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.