As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President Biden's Cabinet

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    As a non-American can someone explain why you would appoint someone from outside your party?

I mean, in Parliamentary systems sometimes you would do this if you had a minority or coalition government but I don’t understand it in the US context.

Please don’t tell me it’s in the name of some bullshit norms about being bi-partisan or something.

You usually appoint a few competent moderate people from the other party to show bipartisanship and because lots of times the most competent person isn't from your party.

Defense tends to go to a Republican because most people who would be eligible and qualified tend to lean Republican and Republicans are traditionally seen as better at military stuff.

You can also do strategic picks - if you can get a key Senator from the other party into a cabinet position they are out of the Senate. In this case if you can get Senators with a Democratic governor who appoints their replacement you could flip the Senate with everything being so close. Then they tow the line or get chucked out with nothing since Cabinet is up to the President.

It's unlikely to work in this case but fine for theorycrafting.

Fuck that narrative about DOD though.

On that note, who do we have in a safe House/Senate seat that left the military at, like, E6? I desperately want a former enlisted who is very well acquainted with and low-key hates Military Bullshit as SecDef.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    As a non-American can someone explain why you would appoint someone from outside your party?

I mean, in Parliamentary systems sometimes you would do this if you had a minority or coalition government but I don’t understand it in the US context.

Please don’t tell me it’s in the name of some bullshit norms about being bi-partisan or something.

You usually appoint a few competent moderate people from the other party to show bipartisanship and because lots of times the most competent person isn't from your party.

Defense tends to go to a Republican because most people who would be eligible and qualified tend to lean Republican and Republicans are traditionally seen as better at military stuff.

You can also do strategic picks - if you can get a key Senator from the other party into a cabinet position they are out of the Senate. In this case if you can get Senators with a Democratic governor who appoints their replacement you could flip the Senate with everything being so close. Then they tow the line or get chucked out with nothing since Cabinet is up to the President.

On that note, who do we have in a safe House/Senate seat that left the military at, like, E6? I desperately want a former enlisted who is very well acquainted with and low-key hates Military Bullshit as SecDef.

I don't know enough about the guy to know if it's a good idea or just petty, but I low key want Capt. Crozier as SecNav.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So I’m not sure where this question fits in all these threads but:

Can Biden get rid of the Space Force, or at least roll it back into the Air Force?

Or at the very least rename to something that doesn’t sound like a 5 year old came up with it?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    One historical problem with Dem cabinet and lower appointments is that they reserve law enforcement and military positions for Republicans, something that really fucked Obama and Clinton with the FBI director.

It also reinforces the narrative that the GOP is best at the core function of government - protecting the populace - with the Dems serving the auxiliary function of moderating the warriors who keep us safe.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Does this fit in this thread? This is bad. We're already running into a potentially bad thing.
    Edit - Okay citation is under dispute for validity.
    https://buffalochronicle.com/2020/11/07/mitt-romney-has-been-asked-to-lead-health-and-human-services-in-biden-administration/
    Mitt Romney has been asked to lead Health and Human Services in Biden administration

Sources are telling The Chronicle that Senator Mitt Romney has been asked by the presumptive President-elect Joe Biden to lead the Department of Health and Human Services. He is currently discussing the nomination with his family and is expected to accept the appointment.

Biden advisors expect that Romney — a former management consultant by training and a former CEO of Bain Capital — will be tasked with making the national healthcare system more affordable without legislation that modifies the Affordable Care Act.

That work is expected to focus on a massive transition to tele-health services, expansion of digital appointment scheduling, expanded access to pharmaceuticals online, and the development of artificial intelligence technologies that will automate patient intake processing, make screening recommendations, and seamlessly sync medical record access between multiple providers serving a single patient.

It’s unclear if Romney will be tasked with creating open market pricing systems for a’la carte medical services, which could advance the work that the Trump administration has done to require providers to make pricing for their services public. That strategy is seen as key to creating a price competitive atmosphere between providers.

Henroid on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That site seems...extremely not credible. "Schumer to advocate for upstate New York statehood"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "That site" is a local paper as far as I can tell.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

No, it is very much not. This is the Buffalo local newspaper with any credibility. That site is one of the many, many newspaper looking sites that sprung up to fill the gap in local news and fool people who don't look into their sources very carefully. They're usually also comically right wing, as is this one.

They routinely fabricate things like a Cuomo ban on e-cigs to fight COVID that never materialized. Mostly just print press releases.

And the goal of that article is actually to incite the right against Romney for being a turncoat.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fuck any "sources say" on cabinet bullshit. The jockeying for power in normal times make all that shit bullshit.

• Options
    Edited the post above.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Unless one got newly elected last week, there is a total of one Democratic member of Congress who made it to E-6: Mike Thompson (CA-5). And he served fifty years ago.

Democratic veterans in Congress are almost exclusively either former officers or Vietnam-era draftees.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

Unless one got newly elected last week, there is a total of one Democratic member of Congress who made it to E-6: Mike Thompson (CA-5). And he served fifty years ago.

Democratic veterans in Congress are almost exclusively either former officers or Vietnam-era draftees.

Out of curiosity, are the Republican's any better on that front? I guess I could see some of the Tea Party wave pushing forward a former enlisted but usually those candidates were firmly pushing upper class status. Before that I'd suspect just as many former officers as the Democrats.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

No, it is very much not. This is the Buffalo local newspaper with any credibility. That site is one of the many, many newspaper looking sites that sprung up to fill the gap in local news and fool people who don't look into their sources very carefully. They're usually also comically right wing, as is this one.

They routinely fabricate things like a Cuomo ban on e-cigs to fight COVID that never materialized. Mostly just print press releases.

And the goal of that article is actually to incite the right against Romney for being a turncoat.

Thanks for checking on that! I recently saw a Media Matters thing about the weird zombie-local stuff and how it tends to feed up to the more mainstream right-wing shit and it's real bad!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    cckerberos wrote: »

Out of curiosity, are the Republican's any better on that front? I guess I could see some of the Tea Party wave pushing forward a former enlisted but usually those candidates were firmly pushing upper class status. Before that I'd suspect just as many former officers as the Democrats.

No, they seem to largely fit the same pattern. Either former officers or people who weren't in the military for all that long.

The Republican veterans do seem to skew younger, but I haven't run the numbers to see if that's actually true.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Well, I would love to tell you it isn't. I really would. The specific discussions in this thread are because one seat could flip the Senate which is obviously extremely valuable. It is also why it wouldn't work for anyone other than a person ready to cash out their career for that specific cabinet spot for some reason.

I see.

I understand the power play part I guess. But the other motivations... ugh.

Also unlike in Parliamentary systems, the Cabinet's policy setting powers are limited. They all "serve at the pleasure of the President" and can be fired unilaterally and except for AG doing so wouldn't even be controversial in case of a policy dispute

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I highly doubt Romeny would a)accept a position as he is a firs term senator in a safe seat and b) would give him anything as it isn't strategically useful. Keeping Romney in the Senate is more helpful for Biden as he may actually vote for stuff to give it an air of bipartisanship. Treat all basically not really well sourced information on the cabinet with a mountain of salt. Just because the election is over doesn't mean the bullshit train has stopped.

In thoughts on the cabinet I would be happy to pull in a lot of career folks. Throw in actual policy wonks and nerds.

For Sec of State I would prefer a known hand at it. At least one of the major policy folks. I don't think Susan Rice is as high as people make her to be. Too much of a political lightning rod still because of well bullshit. She is well respected overseas and has good contacts from being ambassador of the UN. I will have to think but there are a lot of folks to pull from. And we lost most of our good State folks 4 years ago in an early purge. So lots of people who we can bring back.

Treasury is an interesting position. Regulation has been non-existent. They will lead any SEC investigations into Trump or his allies. And we are in a shit show. As long as they aren't a Freshwater Economist I am okay. I would prefer more of a researcher or maybe someone from the Fed than anyone from Wall Street. I know folks don't care for the Fed but there are a lot of folks who have the expertise to use this position for good.

HHS has a lot of work to do. I want a public health expert here. Someone younger as they have to do a lot of work. No one from the insurance industry though. But someone who worked in public health, maybe even around IHS, would be good. A focus on the most in need is super important.

SecDef is odd. I wouldn't mind enlisted. Funny enough one person I would love there but don't want to lose her in the Senate is Duckworth. She knows the Dept. Cares for the people in it. I know people are still angry at Mattis but I found him at least protective of the Dept verse the WH. I know my work is super heavily affected by who is in this spot. I expect whoever is in there is going to focus on two things I work on.

I believe during the primary it was said Labor is going to a member of Labor for once. I don't know the movement too well but I would like a person from the service industry or medical industry side of labor over manufacturing. I want a promotion of unions in broader areas. I want them to crack down on the anti-union activities in tech and white color jobs. Push for vertical integration and a revised labor union system to help increase union participation. I am not a fan of a lot of American unions structurally. They need reform. An ally pushing that from DoL would be good.

For Dept of Interior I would like someone on the conservation side but this is hard. This person needs to come in with day one plans to reverse the damage done by Trump's admin. And also with an aggressive plan to enforce to the strictest letter of the law around climate and environmental regulations. We need to aggressively inverse what has happened at this dept. No tolerance policy would be my hope.

Ed I want a teacher or a teacher union rep. But I need someone who can handle one of the biggest tasks for the department and that is around student debt. This is an admin.

VA for me is pulling a major public health system admin. This is a bureaucracy. But I want someone with experience working with limited resources to provide the best care to a hard to reach population here.

I have to think more as I don't have names. But I am not pushing for technocrats but I want actual experts. I want people who have worked with those with the least to be in charge. DoJ is the hardest as I want a heavy duty prosecutor there. But I want them to bring in BLM and other movement voices to help guide stuff on the civil rights side.

DHS needs to be blown up. This is hard. Having a immigration advocate at the top would be my hope.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Just got one of the first names that is actually being floated.

A leading candidate is Fed governor Lael Brainard, a senior Treasury Department official under Obama

She is an Obama fed appointee. Strong proponent of regulation. Some of the left will dislike her proponent of free trade. I have less issues with that because I know full well that the world of free trade isn't going to disappear. But we should negotiate so the treaties improve the standing of labor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I don't know enough about the guy to know if it's a good idea or just petty, but I low key want Capt. Crozier as SecNav.

Similarly, I'd hope for a position commensurate with his skills and expertise (ie, not a charity position), for Lt Col Vindman.

The man was an outstanding patriot, and the government needs more like him.

Can't be a Senate confirmed position, because McConnell would not permit it, and even if he let it come to the floor, it'd be a shit show. But if he wants a job in this Administration, there should be a position made available for him.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Similarly, I'd hope for a position commensurate with his skills and expertise (ie, not a charity position), for Lt Col Vindman.

The man was an outstanding patriot, and the government needs more like him.

Can't be a Senate confirmed position, because McConnell would not permit it, and even if he let it come to the floor, it'd be a shit show. But if he wants a job in this Administration, there should be a position made available for him.

I would love to see Marie Yovanovich brought in too, not just because it'd be a great f-you to the pubs, but because she was the smartest person I've ever seen give testimony in a situation like the impeachment and I feel like she'd be fantastic as, say, UN ambassador or similar.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I cannot express how much I am looking forward to a new Secretary of Education working with still in class actively teaching Professor Doctor FLOTUS

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Just got one of the first names that is actually being floated.

A leading candidate is Fed governor Lael Brainard, a senior Treasury Department official under Obama

She is an Obama fed appointee. Strong proponent of regulation. Some of the left will dislike her proponent of free trade. I have less issues with that because I know full well that the world of free trade isn't going to disappear. But we should negotiate so the treaties improve the standing of labor.

At the same time Yellen is supposedly favored to be Treasury Secretary

Safe to say there is a lot of things moving at the same time now and we won't know until they actually make the announcement.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Could be her willing to play the "bad guy" as Emanuel has a TON of baggage.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Rahm Emanuel was so despised that he couldn't win re-election as an incumbent in Chicago and that's why he didn't run again

Dude should be kept far away from anything the Democrats want for a future

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I don't think Emmanuel was under consideration at all. I don't think he and Biden worked well when he was the chief of staff.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    He’s not, a bunch of has-beens are going to try to float their names to remind people they still exist so they get invited to cocktail parties again

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    He’s not, a bunch of has-beens are going to try to float their names to remind people they still exist so they get invited to cocktail parties again

And its be pretty dumb to wait until Biden picks people to push left

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah rumors at this point are people either selling themselves or bullshit outrage porn. I have faith in the Biden campaign who runs a clean ship to not be bringing on shit burgers like Rahm Emmanuel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Lol, zero fucking chance Rahm is anywhere near the Biden cabinet. Pretty sure Ron Klain hates him.

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/biden-harris-transition-names-agency-review-teams

Biden has announced his review teams to start staffing up and evaluating various agencies.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    forget trying to pick off GOP senators, that won't ever happen, either way though we have our own house to clean, someone should offer DiFi something for example

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    forget trying to pick off GOP senators, that won't ever happen, either way though we have our own house to clean, someone should offer DiFi something for example

If only. Young blood, please.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    how about a trip to a nice farm upstate, where she can run and play with the other Boomers? :rotate:

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Make her ambassador to Bermuda or some cushy shit like that.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    how about a trip to a nice farm upstate, where she can run and play with the other Boomers? :rotate:

I'm pretty sure she's deep enough in the Silent Generation to have been able to be a boomers mom.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'm pretty sure she's deep enough in the Silent Generation to have been able to be a boomers mom.

Grandma

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    dang, didn't realize it was that bad...

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

She was 14 when the boomers started being a thing so not quite that bad. But yes, a position in the Cabinet that doesn't actually *do* much sounds about right. She can be the tea party and brunch with Republicans person. :P

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

She was 14 when the boomers started being a thing so not quite that bad. But yes, a position in the Cabinet that doesn't actually *do* much sounds about right. She can be the tea party and brunch with Republicans person. :P

Her daughter was born in 1957, so Peak Boomer

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    As was widely assumed for like a decade, Ron Klain will be Chief of Staff. Biden's Chief of Staff when he was VP, coordinated the Obama Ebola response after that. Boring, competent, fairly liberal. His wife is an environmental activist who has also served under Democratic presidents in roles protecting the environment (especially the oceans).

enlightenedbum on