As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President Biden's Cabinet

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I want boring and safe and someone who will work well with Biden.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Klain will probably be fine. The understandable tendency to pick someone close to you for CoS is kind of frustrating in terms of activism given how much informal power the post holds.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Klain will probably be fine. The understandable tendency to pick someone close to you for CoS is kind of frustrating in terms of activism given how much informal power the post holds.

Yeah I struggled with this as well. I like that I had never heard of the dude before, but I also don’t want someone who knows Biden so well that there’s likely to be an unconscious bias to only allow him time with people he always hears from already vs being challenged by new people and their ideas.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Biden needs to be yelled at unceasingly

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So you fundamentally don't know what a CoS does? Like its not an oppositional position in a functional healthy admin.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So you fundamentally don't know what a CoS does? Like its not an oppositional position in a functional healthy admin.

Chief of Staff is pretty straightforward. You bring the President a diet coke when he pushes that button.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Rahm Emmanuel was behind a lot of the most regrettable decisions of Obama's early years. CoS isnt an ignorable appointment.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    CelestialBadger on
  • Options

As I understand it they’re the primary gatekeeper for who gets to talk to (and presumably influence) the president.

I don’t have a reason to beef about Klain. I was just sharing my hope that the CoS lets in like native activists more than he lets in CEOs.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    CoS is supposed to be a straight up extension of the President's will.

A trusted guard who intuitively understands what the President wants and needs and can advance their agenda.

Just because Trump needed a minder doesn't mean that is how a CoS is supposed to work. It's basically a Commanding / Executive officer position and the CoS is one of the most powerful positions in the world with no inherent or Constitutional power.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

As I understand it they’re the primary gatekeeper for who gets to talk to (and presumably influence) the president.

I don’t have a reason to beef about Klain. I was just sharing my hope that the CoS lets in like native activists more than he lets in CEOs.

Possibly. CoS is really defined by the relationship the President and they have and can vary wildly from administration to administration.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Donald Regan, Reagan’s CoS during his second term, was by many accounts the actual president of the U.S. for nearly three years due to Reagan’s Alzheimers.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Lol, zero fucking chance Rahm is anywhere near the Biden cabinet. Pretty sure Ron Klain hates him.

This post aged extremely well! :)

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

The ratio on this tweet is like Vision picking up Mjolnir

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    CoS is supposed to be a straight up extension of the President's will.

A trusted guard who intuitively understands what the President wants and needs and can advance their agenda.

Just because Trump needed a minder doesn't mean that is how a CoS is supposed to work. It's basically a Commanding / Executive officer position and the CoS is one of the most powerful positions in the world with no inherent or Constitutional power.

So sort of like what the term secretary started out as. Secretary was somebody who you trusted because they kept your secrets. That servant who you trusted and could basically speak with your authority on most matters.

Really part of it is that President, properly done, is way too big a job for a single person. CoS is like an extra prosthetic brain whose job is to sort out what you really need to deal with and what others can handle. Obviously that kind of work/authority requires a whole lot of trust in the person and for them to really understand each other.

It is the one position I actually think the President should have complete freedom to choose, because if they're gonna fuck that up then there gonna fuck everything up anyways.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Chief of Staff is pretty straightforward. You bring the President a diet coke when he pushes that button.

Pence is Chief of Staff?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Donald Regan, Reagan’s CoS during his second term, was by many accounts the actual president of the U.S. for nearly three years due to Reagan’s Alzheimers.

What a tremendously confusing name.

• Options

And you're not even the one with Alzheimer's.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

you want a confusing name? how about my favorite right fielder
    716XP25mJTL._AC_SY445_.jpg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

you want a confusing name? how about my favorite right fielder
    716XP25mJTL._AC_SY445_.jpg

to be fair i am betting based on no evidence that contents of his laptop would be a hell of a lot more interesting.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options

I have to believe there is at least one or two stories where the similarity was used to help them skate out of a situation where they almost got caught.

Some sort of sitcom scenario where the President is wandering around in boxer shorts asking for Donald while Nancy tries to keep the group of AIDS victims in the East Room away from the evangelicals in the Rose Garden.

Who am I kidding. Nancy giving a shit about people with AIDS?

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    Lol, zero fucking chance Rahm is anywhere near the Biden cabinet. Pretty sure Ron Klain hates him.

This post aged extremely well! :)

Could see it coming from miles away.

In any event - great choice, btw. Klain is someone capable of drawing from all wings of the party, and simply a super competent administrator.

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thank goodness AoC approves of Biden’s choice for Chief of Staff

God forbid he pick someone he actually likes and works well with, that’s not nearly as important as getting the seal of approval from a second-term congressperson.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Thank goodness AoC approves of Biden’s choice for Chief of Staff

God forbid he pick someone he actually likes and works well with, that’s not nearly as important as getting the seal of approval from a second-term congressperson.

Her being happy about something you're happy about is a dumb thing to complain about

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Also a happy choice because Klain was neck-deep in the Florida recount in 2000 (Spacey plays him in the movie). He'll ensure the Biden transition will remain on high-alert for any GOP legal fuckery...

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I mean Hugh Hewitt also applauded the pick. Everybody apparently likes the dude.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    You really couldn't pick a better person for the role in any dimension.

Everyone knows likes and respects him.

More people liking the pick is good, not bad. He is pretty much exactly the guy you want in this role whomever the president may be.

That he has a career working closely with Biden is just extra gravy - but he would be a great CoS pick for a President-elect Sanders or Warren or Yang or whomever as well if we are in an alternate reality.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I'm going to be curious how much Party dynamics and the desire to elevate profiles of folks will influence the pick for Secretary at DOT versus Biden's personal connections from being Amtrak's man on the Hill for so long. Because I really want it to be someone sympathetic to APTA and NACTO not AASHTO

Same, but lesser extent for Ed considering Professor Doctor FLOTUS (Prof FLOTUS PhD ?) is probably going to keep her day job teaching at community college.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Obligatory West Wing reference for Chief of Staff.

EDIT: Designated start time doesn't seem to work for embed. Go to 1m30s for the line.

enc0re on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    Obligatory West Wing reference for Chief of Staff.

EDIT: Designated start time doesn't seem to work for embed. Go to 1m30s for the line.

I mean say what you will about the mayor of sunnydale, he took his position seriously and treated his staff with respect and dignity.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Sometimes he was, other times it was Nancy, and who the hell knows who else in that rats nest. Reagan's second term was a clusterfuck even if you were a Republican.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Sometimes he was, other times it was Nancy, and who the hell knows who else in that rats nest. Reagan's second term was a clusterfuck even if you were a Republican.

Joan Quigley almost certainly made some decisions that he was not empowered to.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So what are Biden's best options for DoD and and some of the other stuff that democratic administration have been notorious for pick republicans to run, should he do the smart thing and not give those spots to republicans? Given the GOP's bullshit, doesn't seem prudent to give high profile spots to any of them, not like it's going to bring many, if any republicans to the table. Also it's not like any of the rat fucking republicans in the Senate, in positions that could be filled by a democratic governor appointee are either qualified or willing to give up their seat. Granted that last bit hinges on if democrats win the GA runoffs or not, if they get those, then some republican senator creators might be willing to take a low level appointment because it probably let's them do more than being a member of the Senate minority; especially, if they were looking to retire soon anyways.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    re: DoD: if he wants to staff it with someone from senior military, odds are they will be (at least) registered as a Republican. :|

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'd like to see him float Alexander Vindman as a possibility just to see people's heads explode, but the poor guy has been through enough hell already.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Bhow wrote: »
    re: DoD: if he wants to staff it with someone from senior military, odds are they will be (at least) registered as a Republican. :|

Not that that's necessary.

Yes, Mattis was a 4-star. Esper was a Lt Colonel.

But it's not a requirement of the position that they have active service, or have achieved field officer (Major and up), to serve in the position. Temp SecDef and SecNav for most of Trump's term, Richard Spencer, was previously a Captain.

Deputy SecDef never served. Nor did the previous Deputy (Shanahan), who was Acting SecDef for almost six months, and was in the process of nomination when he withdrew.

Under Obama, Gates was a 2nd Lt (though heavy Intel background), Panetta was a 1st Lt (again, Intel background), Hagel was enlisted, and Carter never served.

Under Bush Jr, Rumsfeld (*spits*) was a Captain.

Under Clinton, Aspin was a Captain, Perry was a 2nd Lt, Cohen never served,

Under Bush Sr, neither Cheney (*spits twice*) nor William Howard Taft IV (yes, of that WHTaft) served.

The idea that SecDef needs to be a Republican and/or top brass, is just wrong. I mean, fuck, you have to go back to Robert McNamara (under JFK/LBJ) to find someone of Esper's rank or above. Mattis being a flag officer is exceptional for someone holding the position of SecDef. Only George Marshall, former General of the Army, was a flag officer. And only a handful were field officers.

My first thought when I saw this was "I wonder how Jason Kander's treatment is going?". I know he's dealing with some issues, including PTSD, something that's relevant given the country's history of ignoring of it, and it's constant 'forever war' mentality.

But if he were fit enough, and willing to serve, he seems like the kind of man I'd want in that position.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I won't lie I wouldn't mind bringing in a woman or a former enlisted who is a person of color to be the Sec Def. As long as I have worked at DoD it has 100% been white men. Putting someone else in would be huge. There is already an internal push to make the top brass look more like the rest of the military. And the enlisted corp is more diverse than the actual population.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I won't lie I wouldn't mind bringing in a woman or a former enlisted who is a person of color to be the Sec Def. As long as I have worked at DoD it has 100% been white men. Putting someone else in would be huge. There is already an internal push to make the top brass look more like the rest of the military. And the enlisted corp is more diverse than the actual population.

Dang. If I had of looked at it without the inherent gender bias, I'd have added Tammy Duckworth to Jason Kander on that list. Added bonus of heads expoding like Dave's suggestion for Vindman.

Would be an issue for the Senate seat (though IL isn't likely to go Republican), especially if Democrats are able to get both Georgia seats. And her absence from the Senate would be missed.

But she'd be a good choice, if she wanted the job.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Pardon I'd this has been discussed in the thread already. The search function isn't working...

Anyway. Is there any chance the census can get fixed from all the fuckery of the previous administration? Which department oversees the census?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Pardon I'd this has been discussed in the thread already. The search function isn't working...

Anyway. Is there any chance the census can get fixed from all the fuckery of the previous administration? Which department oversees the census?

IIRC, it can be, but it'll be a significant pain in the ass, so it probably won't be.

If Biden had won with the mandate polling had suggested, it probably could have been done. But given the expense, Republicans are going to oppose the shit out of it. Unless the census actually underrepresents them, then they'll demand it be redone.

There's also the issue with the pandemic still continuing to rage on, which makes an accurate census quite difficult, and as that likely will be the case for up to another year (vaccination rollouts are NOT going to be fast, even when they're approved), and there's likely to be a dozen other things that have priority for Biden in that first year.

So, it's possible. But I wouldn't count on it. Not until at least early 2023, if Republicans finally get their comeuppance, and people vote the assholes into irrelevance. So... probably not.