As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread: Vaccines!

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Some infographics on transmission scenarios based on real case data in the health area I live in here in Vancouver area.

I wish people understood this more. It spreads no matter how safe you think you're being.

I had a vicious fight with my father recently, after he got on an airplane and took a cross-country vacation because he said he'd "be safe".

If you can get this from a game night, where presumably you know everyone and feel they are in your social bubble, I just can't fathom why you'd feel safe getting on an airplane. Or eating in a restaurant, for that matter.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Im sad that Maine is finally seeing a surge in cases, after essentially avoiding a large scale outbreak the whole time so far. Lockdown saved us the first time, and a rather slow reopening, along with geographic factors, helped during the second peak. But now we seem pretty screwed. Which isn't surprising, really.

Governor Mills seems afraid to take any meaningful measures in response so far, either for political or economic reasons. I think eventually reality will force Augusta to reimpose more severe restrictions, unless we're just gonna let the virus ravage our elderly population for a few months.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Im sad that Maine is finally seeing a surge in cases, after essentially avoiding a large scale outbreak the whole time so far. Lockdown saved us the first time, and a rather slow reopening, along with geographic factors, helped during the second peak. But now we seem pretty screwed. Which isn't surprising, really.

Governor Mills seems afraid to take any meaningful measures in response so far, either for political or economic reasons. I think eventually reality will force Augusta to reimpose more severe restrictions, unless we're just gonna let the virus ravage our elderly population for a few months.

I know which one I'm betting on.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

These graphs are very interesting.

Look at the extremely cyclical "currently hospitalized" graph. It tells a story of a large outbreak in May, one in August, and one right now.

But the same clear pattern is not found in tests, cases, or deaths, although you can see hints of it in cases and more strongly in deaths.

This leads me to conclude a few things:
    1. The US is in the middle of a third wave.
    2. Test capacity was shit until just about now.
    3. As a result, cases were severely underreported until now (may still be, but certainly was before).
    4. Deaths were significantly worse during the first wave.
    5. We have gotten significantly better at treating covid, but probably unlikely to get any better at it without new treatments/vaccines.
    6. Cases dropped sharply twice before. Either there were effective lockdowns or terrified people hid indoors en masse.

For comparison, here are the equivalent graphs from Norway (where I live).

uk4ogr0ymm5p.pngr6pyn4owb5eg.pngfpkd0onpt0s4.pngzihfspx35ez5.png

In order: Tested, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Graphs were updated today, data drawn from our health authorities, images created by a reliable newspaper.

Norway is of course quite small (5.5 million people) and demographics are different, but it is worth noting the difference in how the pandemic is going so far.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Not surprised at Maine getting up there, as a MA resident with a lot of RI contacts my Facebook has been full of people posting pictures of their road trip up north.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    It is sad and frustrating to see the news about the third wave at the same time as the news about the vaccine candidates starts to come out looking so good.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Unfortunately that first shutdown really blew a huge hole in states budgets, so unless the feds come to the rescue and pass some relief, no one can afford to do the right thing. I expect we'll see that can kicked down the road until the hospitals get overrun and it's far too late... so probably somewhere around Christmas / New year's I expect, like Jan 6. Somehow it'll all get blamed on Biden.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    Not surprised at Maine getting up there, as a MA resident with a lot of RI contacts my Facebook has been full of people posting pictures of their road trip up north.

Yeah people been traveling around New England like a bunch of fuckin idiots.

• Options
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Unfortunately that first shutdown really blew a huge hole in states budgets, so unless the feds come to the rescue and pass some relief, no one can afford to do the right thing. I expect we'll see that can kicked down the road until the hospitals get overrun and it's far too late... so probably somewhere around Christmas / New year's I expect. Somehow it'll all be blamed on Biden.

I don't think it'll take that long at these rates though

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Alaska's Governor just issued a new emergency declaration via statewide texts and a youtube video.

https://youtu.be/uwQUnIAjthk

Obvious stuff, but it's nice to see a Republican governor telling people to work from home if they can, socially distance and FUCKING WEAR MASKS. Shame he won't make it a mandatory though.

He's a big fan of Trump, but also took pretty good action at the beginning of the pandemic before it really hit Alaska. (Sadly it worked too well and he quickly went to "Let's open up now!")

Shits getting wild out there. Boss just told me to work from home for the rest of the week.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    It's pretty incredible, here we are in the midst of the worst outbreak at the worst possible time, and not a single state is really doing a damn thing about it. I guess New York is going to have all restaurants close by 10 every night? Like wtf is that actually going to do, just shut down restaurants / bars already. Instead of doing what we know works we just keep doing this song and dance around it and being like "why are infections so high?." I don't think anything has made me lose faith in people so much as our national failure at every level to actually take covid seriously.

To be fair, state governments are over a barrel because they can't go into debt to provide the relief they need in order to shut things down without literally killing people via starvation and homelessness. The federal government is the only entity that can help, and Mitch McConnell refuses to let it.

Every individual republican senator gives mitch power. They could take it away if they wanted, but they don't

I listened to a podcast about this a while back and apparently the reason the Republican senators are not doing any Covid relief is that they are sincerely against it. They don't want to do it. Just passing the relief funds that they did was a big deal for them, very controversial because it went so much against their principles.

Did the podcast say what their reasons were? I'm curious whether it's malice or stupidity.

I don’t remember. I’ve listened to a lot of podcasts in the last month. But it appears to be a principle very important to Republican voters and politicians- handouts are to be avoided.

Its a bit of both. Big part of the problem is the bailouts would focus on places that took the biggest economic hit from COVID. Until the last few months that was almost universally Blue States and cities. You average Republcian Red state voter wouldn't vote to piss on NYC's corpse if it was on fire.

Course now its spread and is going to hurt the red states just as bad.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    It's pretty incredible, here we are in the midst of the worst outbreak at the worst possible time, and not a single state is really doing a damn thing about it. I guess New York is going to have all restaurants close by 10 every night? Like wtf is that actually going to do, just shut down restaurants / bars already. Instead of doing what we know works we just keep doing this song and dance around it and being like "why are infections so high?." I don't think anything has made me lose faith in people so much as our national failure at every level to actually take covid seriously.

To be fair, state governments are over a barrel because they can't go into debt to provide the relief they need in order to shut things down without literally killing people via starvation and homelessness. The federal government is the only entity that can help, and Mitch McConnell refuses to let it.

Every individual republican senator gives mitch power. They could take it away if they wanted, but they don't

I listened to a podcast about this a while back and apparently the reason the Republican senators are not doing any Covid relief is that they are sincerely against it. They don't want to do it. Just passing the relief funds that they did was a big deal for them, very controversial because it went so much against their principles.

Did the podcast say what their reasons were? I'm curious whether it's malice or stupidity.

I don’t remember. I’ve listened to a lot of podcasts in the last month. But it appears to be a principle very important to Republican voters and politicians- handouts are to be avoided.

Its a bit of both. Big part of the problem is the bailouts would focus on places that took the biggest economic hit from COVID. Until the last few months that was almost universally Blue States and cities. You average Republcian Red state voter wouldn't vote to piss on NYC's corpse if it was on fire.

Course now its spread and is going to hurt the red states just as bad.

Probably worse because a lot of them don't have as robust a medical service as some of the densely populated cities do.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    My dad is feeling poorly after coming back from El Paso on a business trip. Not a good place to be visiting right now.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Indiana yesterday started rolling back their opening phases, by county. So we’ll probably be shut down soon.

Luckily my family has finally decided to cancel Thanksgiving this year for us. Granted my wife and I already let them know we weren’t coming, but it was good to see that decision made by the rest of them.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Look at the extremely cyclical "currently hospitalized" graph. It tells a story of a large outbreak in May, one in August, and one right now.

But the same clear pattern is not found in tests, cases, or deaths, although you can see hints of it in cases and more strongly in deaths.

3. As a result, cases were severely underreported until now (may still be, but certainly was before).
    5. We have gotten significantly better at treating covid, but probably unlikely to get any better at it without new treatments/vaccines.
    6. Cases dropped sharply twice before. Either there were effective lockdowns or terrified people hid indoors en masse.

Don't overlook the regional effects. The first was was heavily centered in the Northeast, the second in the south, the third started in the Midwest.

The third one started out as a midwestern one, but we're starting to see the seasonal effect kick in and cases are going up everywhere. But most of the places that had a large outbreak before this one are rising but still well below their previous highs for the moment, with the exception of Texas.

• Options
    Some infographics on transmission scenarios based on real case data in the health area I live in here in Vancouver area.

The idea of having a fitness class *anywhere* is absolutely insane to me.

There's two things you can't have no matter what until there's a vaccine: bars and fitness classes. Everything else is on the proverbial dimmer switch.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Wisconsin is at the point where the governor isn't even trying to introduce new restrictions because the state supreme court will just overturn them.

And our legislature has done nothing and will continue to do nothing so I guess we're just going to raw dog the pandemic this winter.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

There's two things you can't have no matter what until there's a vaccine: bars and fitness classes. Everything else is on the proverbial dimmer switch.

Yeah, on Reddit somebody was like "I can't believe there was some woman at my yoga studio who refused to wear a mask and they had to kick her out..."

To which many, many responses were why the fuck is anybody at a yoga studio right now?!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Outside distanced fitness classes. That's..it really. Gyms and fitness classes are probably the single worst idea besides like, singing in groups.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Oh yeah, it's ridiculous. I mean, maybe outdoor fitness classes would be ok.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    In my local park there’s a little area that used to have concerts but this year people have been using it for fitness classes, exercise and children’s sports classes. I see a lot of yoga there. I love it.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Wisconsin is at the point where the governor isn't even trying to introduce new restrictions because the state supreme court will just overturn them.

And our legislature has done nothing and will continue to do nothing so I guess we're just going to raw dog the pandemic this winter.

I think that's a bad move. Because you just fucking know they're going to put the blame on the Governor for not doing enough.

Evers should put out plans, make the legislature own the killing of it, and then do it again, some weeks later.

Democrats shouldn't be afraid to try and make Republican lawmakers look bad, just because what they're attempting is probably doomed to fail. Because looking feckless isn't a better option.

That's not to say that they need to go full bore into the breach. But make it abundantly clear "We tried to fix things, they chose to break it". It's hard to break through the media double standards, but it's better to have some kind of message.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Don't overlook the regional effects. The first was was heavily centered in the Northeast, the second in the south, the third started in the Midwest.

The third one started out as a midwestern one, but we're starting to see the seasonal effect kick in and cases are going up everywhere. But most of the places that had a large outbreak before this one are rising but still well below their previous highs for the moment, with the exception of Texas.

Weather is a clear factor

The first wave occurred...well in cities/travel hubs, but basically the ones in the north when it was too cold to do anything outside

Next it hit the south first in the places where it became too hot to be outside first, then moved north with the weather

Now it’s hitting again where everyone is congregating inside because it’s too cold, but this time people are even more complacent and we’re starting with a higher “seed” population

I think the CDC still has their old guidance, not the temporary new guidance that Pence made them take down...

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    My wife is now getting rapid response covid testing on a weekly basis at work. This shit's suddenly getting a whole lot scarier. Especially when I know/have heard that the rapid response tests are shit.

Yeah. They're okay-ish kinda sorta for telling you if you have it right now, so it's better than nothing, but the false negative rate is way too high to rely on it. PCR is the way to go, but it doesn't seem like those tests are what workplaces are using.

The rapid tests are actually good for workplaces; lock down the instant you get a positive test, and test everyone properly. I'm not sure if weekly testing is good enough, though.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    mcdermott wrote: »

Yeah, on Reddit somebody was like "I can't believe there was some woman at my yoga studio who refused to wear a mask and they had to kick her out..."

To which many, many responses were why the fuck is anybody at a yoga studio right now?!

I had a similar reaction to a woman bragging that her daughter always wears a mask in her dance class, with a bunch of kids and moms in a small room. I'm sympathetic to the argument that people should try to do as much as they can with safety restrictions, but heavy breathing in a small room is never going to be on the list.

The people who believe that masks make everything OK are like the kid who is playing with scissors and you'd really rather they not but you can't deal with that right now because the Trumper kids are actively trying to burn the building down with the matches they brought from home and you have to stop that first.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    MorganV wrote: »

I think that's a bad move. Because you just fucking know they're going to put the blame on the Governor for not doing enough.

Evers should put out plans, make the legislature own the killing of it, and then do it again, some weeks later.

Democrats shouldn't be afraid to try and make Republican lawmakers look bad, just because what they're attempting is probably doomed to fail. Because looking feckless isn't a better option.

That's not to say that they need to go full bore into the breach. But make it abundantly clear "We tried to fix things, they chose to break it". It's hard to break through the media double standards, but it's better to have some kind of message.

Yep. It's bad policy and bad politics!

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

I suspect you'll start seeing more on or after January 21 when there will be a renewed expectation of federal backing.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

He has issued Executive Suggestions, which is the best he can do according to the current supreme court's understanding of the constitution. This is not on the governor, but the republican legislature for doing nothing, and the supreme court for making things worse. Every death since their ruling that the governor can't do shit is on them, not Evers.

Edit: I'm certain we would have already locked everything down again had Evers been able to issue that order.

Edit2: My wife's school district was planning on going back to in person, but because of the E.S. they now have the cover from angry parents they needed to stay virtual.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

He has issued Executive Suggestions, which is the best he can do according to the current supreme court's understanding of the constitution. This is not on the governor, but the republican legislature for doing nothing, and the supreme court for making things worse. Every death since their ruling that the governor can't do shit is on them, not Evers.

Edit: I'm certain we would have already locked everything down again had Evers been able to issue that order.

He should still issue that order! He should be issuing orders and when the GOP knocks them down he should say "Look at these motherfuckers who want you to die! Aren't they motherfuckers?"

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    It is sad and frustrating to see the news about the third wave at the same time as the news about the vaccine candidates starts to come out looking so good.

Definitely true. But also remember that a vaccine is months away even if the trials would end successfully today. Getting enough doses out there and into enough people to actually make a difference will take a long time.

My best (optimistic) bet is that we will still have a craptastic winter but maybe start large scale vaccinations over summer when things are calmer anyway, and then hopefully we don't have to do this horrible dance again next autumn.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

He should still issue that order! He should be issuing orders and when the GOP knocks them down he should say "Look at these motherfuckers who want you to die! Aren't they motherfuckers?"

So you want the governor to be a dictator? As much as I hate it, you are asking him to defy the legislature and direct rulings of the supreme court of wisconsin. It fucking sucks, but Evers isn't going to go anywhere near that route without the federal government backing him up.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Don Young, Alaska's 87-year old At-Large Representative, who is almost certain to win his reelection, has just announced he's been diagnosed with COVID.

Young got a lot of bad press at the beginning of the pandemic for dismissing it and calling it the 'beer virus'

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Don Young, Alaska's 87-year old At-Large Representative, who is almost certain to win his reelection, has just announced he's been diagnosed with COVID.

Young got a lot of bad press at the beginning of the pandemic for dismissing it and calling it the 'beer virus'

Honestly there's going to be alot more of this; Congressmen and Senators dont live in some alternate reality America. At least not physically. I'll be surprised if there isn't at least a few openings in the legislature due to lawmakers passing away.

Edit: If I was a hack writer, that might even include a Republican senator in a blue state.

StarZapper on
  • Options

Honestly there's going to be alot more of this; Congressmen and Senators dont live in some alternate reality America. At least not physically. I'll be surprised if there isn't at least a few openings in the legislature due to lawmakers passing away.

Plenty of them probably had election night parties

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    My wife is now getting rapid response covid testing on a weekly basis at work. This shit's suddenly getting a whole lot scarier. Especially when I know/have heard that the rapid response tests are shit.

Yeah. They're okay-ish kinda sorta for telling you if you have it right now, so it's better than nothing, but the false negative rate is way too high to rely on it. PCR is the way to go, but it doesn't seem like those tests are what workplaces are using.

The rapid tests are actually good for workplaces; lock down the instant you get a positive test, and test everyone properly. I'm not sure if weekly testing is good enough, though.

Indeed, you're relying on their accumulated effects, not any one individual test being correct. You track where people go and who they interact with, and then use regular applications of cheap quick testing to cut out chains of transmission before they take off. They amplify your other efforts, as opposed to high speed PCR testing which is probably almost good enough to mean you don't need other approaches if you maintain consistent teams.

If every workplace was using the rapid antigen testing, then we would probably have things under control. Testing does work to control the virus, and false negatives aren't actually a problem in a repeat testing environment. Once a week is maybe enough, although you have to get people on a schedule so it's not "testing everyone Monday" needs to be 20% every weekday supported by contact tracing and caution.

I also can't believe we allowed indoor fitness classes to restart, or indoor dining. It's just insane.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Edit: If I was a hack writer, that might even include a Republican senator in a blue state.

We've already had five senators and I believe he is the 20th representative to test positive. Who knows how many more either 1) got infected but never found out or 2) didn't release the knowledge to the public

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I felt this was better here than other threads, but President Zelenskyy have been hospitalized with COVID. Yes, that President Zelenskyy, along with three of his top officials.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-president/ukraine-president-zelenskiy-hospitalised-due-to-covid-19-idUSKBN27S0QC?il=0

He isn’t critical or anything and it seems more like a precaution so far. Dude’s had a rough year.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

JUST IN: The ship's captain announces 5 people have tested positive for #COVID19 on SeaDream 1, the first cruise ship to embark on a voyage in the Caribbean since the #coronavirus shut down the cruise industry.

Ana Cabrera is a CNN anchor and correspondent.

Who could have possibly seen this coming, what a shock.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    My wife broke a tooth last night. Thankfully it didn't break into the root, but now she has to get a crown. And I'm super nervous after her visiting the dentist today. And since it's a crown, she will go back again in a couple of weeks to get the permanent crown installed.

I hate this.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    My wife broke a tooth last night. Thankfully it didn't break into the root, but now she has to get a crown. And I'm super nervous after her visiting the dentist today. And since it's a crown, she will go back again in a couple of weeks to get the permanent crown installed.

I hate this.

I've just had a crown done myself. The dentist was super ppe covered, they checked my temp, etc...

I'd probably delay cleanings but necessary stuff I feel like is safe enough, with the right precautions.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.