As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    cool.
    is there much effort to explain why if she came from the darkness timeline she's so willing to stasis it up?
    Big spoilers still

I think
    She's been hopping between many different timelines to find one where we don't instantly fuck up when encountering the Darkness. I imagine it's a bit of the Bray in her, she just kinda had a theory that guardians could wield the Dark to beat it back, and we're one of the few or perhaps the only where we succeed.

I haven't unlocked any of the DSC stuff yet, I'm wagering this is like the halfway mark. Though the first time you go to the Bray Exoscience lab, if you're an Exo I think you get a unique comment from Variks about having to literally relive your past as you stumble upon the origins of the Exo

Local H Jay on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Soooo I’m waiting for d2 to install on my Xbox so I can play the dlc

Meanwhile I have the season and got my artifact but have zero idea what to do? No quests next steps...

616610-1.png
    I’m legit confused. I seem to have fine nothing with my 10 dollars except unlock the bottom layer of the season pass

Does season of the hunt have no content?

616610-1.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Based on how few weapons they added, they fucked up hard on sunsetting.

At the very least, the stuff from ShadowKeep/Undying should have been kept in. There are holes in weapon archetypes and elemental coverage, and there's zero reason to do the moon grind stuff.

edit - Taken from a post on Reddit that I agree with:
    There are a total of 25 new legendary weapons in Beyond Light. For reference, Shadowkeep had 30, and Forsaken had 85 (and it was followed by BA which had 55). The real problem IMO is that we lost nearly every workhorse weapon in the game, and got a handful of very niche weapons to "replace" them. I was hoping we'd get some of the Black Armory weapons re-issued given the Exo theming of the expac and the BA eververse cosmetics, but nope.

ronzo on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    If anybody is looking to hit the soft cap in short order then hit up the Widow's Walk lost sector and start grinding the boss. Good source of light level and ghost mods to be had. Just sayin'.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ok so is there something I'm missing about enemy Stasis
    I get frozen from a mile away, I hold B to break out. It takes forever, and then I take a ton of damage when I bust out. Am I killing myself by breaking out or is there a mechanic I'm missing, because if it does about half my health to attempt to get out then I might as well just not even try

edited November 2020
    fuck the technocrat why the fuck is this fight so long holy shit
    yeah dude just freeze me mid-super and knock me into a death pit with 5% health left, real fucking fair, good job bungie

Crippl3 on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Oh man, I knew about the 60 fps, but apparently crucible is going to be able to hit 120 on series x.

So is this destiny with the latest xpac? I might have a route to a series x and don't have anything to play really that's x optimised.

Then again I don't think my tv has hdmi 2.1 so not sure I'm gonna get the full series x experience

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Soooo I’m waiting for d2 to install on my Xbox so I can play the dlc

Meanwhile I have the season and got my artifact but have zero idea what to do? No quests next steps...

i don't think the seasonal stuff kicks off till next week.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I did a few missions then I did that "grind the lost sector for soft cap" thing while I watched the Byf video on the Darkness. I enjoyed it but also I'm still dealing with a pinched nerve thing so despite wanting to play more, I can't because my arm hurts. Booo physical health, booooo

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so you can still only hold one Exotic Cipher, that's kinda bullshit.

And be very careful. There's at least one triumph for having a bunch of exotics that gives you one. If you already have one in inventory or the vault, it just vanishes because fuck you.

Yep - I had enough completed to collect all three, which I did !

Then checked my inventory to see...a single cipher.

Yay.

On the bright side, I checked the vendor, and there’s nothing I actually need or want.

I’ll probably pick up Thorn and Hawkmoon, for my Hunter.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    ok so is there something I'm missing about enemy Stasis
    I get frozen from a mile away, I hold B to break out. It takes forever, and then I take a ton of damage when I bust out. Am I killing myself by breaking out or is there a mechanic I'm missing, because if it does about half my health to attempt to get out then I might as well just not even try

Yeah, I have no idea here, but I think we're missing something. Says double tap O to break out, but I've tried mashing O, doing ba-dum rhythmic double-clicks, holding O, doing ba-dum-hold... And every time I break out I take massive damage, so I assume I'm doing something wrong?

Also, I tried to mainline the story the way I did when Forsaken launched, and uh, that's not necessarily a pleasant experience. Need to dick around between missions to get my Light Level up. @amicabilis was kind enough (thank you!) to help me with a boss encounter when I was about 30-40 levels too low and died right near the end.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    fuck the technocrat why the fuck is this fight so long holy shit
    yeah dude just freeze me mid-super and knock me into a death pit with 5% health left, real fucking fair, good job bungie

Yeah if you do the campaign normally without grinding this happens a lot. I struggled through several boss fights just doing the most over the top shit to win. I finished the main campaign to get the stasis, and I was around 1140. That was after 6 hours of play. @Peen did the Lost Sector grind and was +30LL on me, and he only did it for an hour.

edited November 2020
    The B button breakout works, you just get OHKO by shit because of the LL disparity. Bungie wants you to go grind patrols and shit, but the smart thing to do is the Lost Sector on the EDZ.

Here's my Technocrat ass pull win while being like 1120
    https://youtu.be/7-zaTXZcYaw

I abused the hell out invis dodge + sixth coyote

Boss fight for post-Beyond Light but pre-Deep Stone Crypt stuff
    https://youtu.be/phXKu_lbyMk

Not sure which of these two took me longer tbh

Local H Jay on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I ground the lost sector for an hour and ended the night at 1198, it's worth your time for sure.

Disrupter wrote: »
    I’m legit confused. I seem to have fine nothing with my 10 dollars except unlock the bottom layer of the season pass

Does season of the hunt have no content?

Seasonal content starts next week, the infographic from a TW@B had the whole schedule but they're holding until next week for some reason.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    'bout halfway through the campaign, judging from the quest steps. Is it me, or is the Ghost a lot more of a crybaby for some reason?

"I'm not sure you're doing the right thing, I have reservations about this new power you're using, I'm worried about how all those other people using it became evil monsters, abloo bloo bloo."

Like, get off my back. I can handle it. I'm in control.

I can quit using Stasis anytime I want.

H9f4bVe.png
    I was on-level for the boss, but you just take a huge burst of damage when you break out of Stasis I guess. Like, nothing was shooting me at the time, it just chunks my health.
    I beat it a while ago, still working on campaign. Taking breaks and such.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The ghost is a creation of the traveler, diametrically opposed to the darkness, whose power we're currently embracing. Its apprehension is pretty plausible. The darkness has already shown its ability to switch off the ghost and turn it into an intercom as well, which must be terrifying if the ghost really is sentient.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Funny moment: Using warlock statis melee to freeze two people in melee, then drilling one of the mapart with Vigilance wing.

The shatter explosion took out the other =D

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    campaign spoilers, eramis
    WHY DID THEY PUT THIS FIGHT ON A SERIES OF FLOATING PLATFORMS SURROUNDED BY INSTANT DEATH PITS IF ONE OF THE CLASSES' ONLY SUPERS IS MELEE
    SHE LAUNCHES YOU LIKE 50 FEET AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN FUCKING DO OTHER THAN JUST NOT USE YOUR ABILITIES

ok that's it, gotta get a group for this, holy shit why is this boss so fucking bad

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    I think the best way to play Destiny may in fact be to buy each major release and then ignore the minor releases because based on response here this expansion is looking to be Forsaken tier good content (which is encouraging).

Still, given my lack of time recently, and the scumminess of the microtransactions I've heard about, I may need some convincing.

Also I like how most of the first page of this new thread is just Destiny: Beyond Queues

Someone remind me tomorrow to share my rewritten version of Ozymandias by Percy Bysse Shelly that I wrote because I realized you could replace the line "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings!" with "My name is Skolas the Rabid, Kell of Kells!" and I feel like there's something there given the poem is about the impermanence of mortal creations.

But that's for a time that isn't 4:32 am.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    What scumminess of microtransactions are you talking about?

Re: Power Level, I didn't have to grind once the entire time and ended the campaign at like 1160. I haven't even stepped foot in a lost sector.

Re: having trouble on the bosses, if using your super is getting you killed when you try and use it on the boss (especially if it's due to the boss hitting you with a stasis attack) then save it for the fodder enemies and use grenades and weapons on the boss instead

Re: freeing yourself when frozen, on PS4 it defaulted to long press O, I'd be surprised if they did rapid tap O/B as the default on PC

Opty on
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Has anyone figured out how to do the new player stuff with an old character? Ship lady didn't have it

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Gah, I got approximately 30 minutes into this last night before real life interfered. Ideally I can actually get some time in today, as I want to check spoilers and commiserate and all that.

Hyped about the Series X upgrade version though. 120 FPS in Crucible is going to feel so strange at first though.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how to do the new player stuff with an old character? Ship lady didn't have it

there's a little console tucked into a cubby near the postmaster that seems to have all the new player stuff/other quests.

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    What scumminess of microtransactions are you talking about?

Locking things behind a paywall but not leaving a pathway to earn it through progression, a few other things that are mostly just my vague recollections of distasteful practices. There were some articles I read a little while ago about it (the last few months) that really soured me on the idea. I'm not sure where we've moved the needle since then.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I ground the lost sector for an hour and ended the night at 1198, it's worth your time for sure.

which lost sector?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Based on how few weapons they added, they fucked up hard on sunsetting.

At the very least, the stuff from ShadowKeep/Undying should have been kept in. There are holes in weapon archetypes and elemental coverage, and there's zero reason to do the moon grind stuff.

edit - Taken from a post on Reddit that I agree with:
    There are a total of 25 new legendary weapons in Beyond Light. For reference, Shadowkeep had 30, and Forsaken had 85 (and it was followed by BA which had 55). The real problem IMO is that we lost nearly every workhorse weapon in the game, and got a handful of very niche weapons to "replace" them. I was hoping we'd get some of the Black Armory weapons re-issued given the Exo theming of the expac and the BA eververse cosmetics, but nope.

Yeah so I didn't buy the DLC, i wanted to feel things out first.

For me, I'm SOOOOOO glad I didn't. This is just my opinion. No one is wrong for liking BL, btw.

But there are so few new weapons its INSANE. Like, damn.

When sunsetting was announced the concern was instead of making new weapons theyd recycle weapons. Well, they only made a handful of new weapons so that fear came to pass and then they didn't recycle (enough) weapons either! Just reissue them with new perks you ding dongs! Is their workflow or spaghetti code just make this too hard?! Is it actually that hard?! I'm seriously asking!

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I hear you, OpposingFarce. I went over to the /r/destinythegame subreddit and hoooooo boy, lot of salt there. It actually started to sour me on Beyond Light before I've even finished the campaign. Had to leave that accursed place and head back here.

Looking forward to finishing the campaign and digging into where I've spent most of my time for the past few months, which is Crucible.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On the other hand, Duality might actually be my favorite weapon now? I don't think I've ever found a shotgun that I've actually liked before.

Honestly, I think I'm okay with not having One Gun for Every Situation. Giving me a excuse to experiment around more.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    cursedking wrote: »

which lost sector?

Widow's Walk. You can run it end to end in ~1 minute, the boss drops a legendary every time and the chest has a drop sometimes too. I put the way I did it in a spoiler below but any tryhard PvE setup will work.
    Bottom tree Sunbreaker with Phoenix Cradle, weapons were Witherhoard/Vorpal SMG/Falling Guillotine. My path was run into the room, punch the first dreg to get Sun Warrior active, run past everything else, launch
    a Witherhoard on the hill and then use it and the SMG to melt the shanks and get the Nightmare buff, sword the boss down. It literally takes 30-45 seconds to run in and kill the important stuff, the rest of the time is sprinting in and out and a little bit of inventory management.

@ElementWrath the only stuff that is ever behind microtransactions are cosmetics and Bungie seems to have walked that back this season. The only stuff that affects the game is some items that you get from purchasing the season pass but that's pretty straightforward, you pay your $10 and you get to fully participate in the season.

I haven't gone on Reddit but I think people might be overreacting to the fact that it doesn't seem like world drops/Banshee/other vendor drops have changed so you can't dump tokens in the Tower and get all of the new guns. If people have datamined and have actually seen everything that's new and they're still mad then I take it back but I like that I'm discovering new guns as I play the game, I'd prefer it were that way.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I hear you, OpposingFarce. I went over to the /r/destinythegame subreddit and hoooooo boy, lot of salt there. It actually started to sour me on Beyond Light before I've even finished the campaign. Had to leave that accursed place and head back here.

Go to the Destiny2-Reddit instead. It's more light-hearted (BL-Boss spoilers).
    z9C1hez.jpg
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Looking forward to finishing the campaign and digging into where I've spent most of my time for the past few months, which is Crucible.

Crucible's pretty much the only place to bring in the power-capped Pinnacle weapons being sold at the new kiosk, right?

Owenashi on
    edited November 2020
    Is it possible the want trials/raid weapons to feel valuable again like d1/y1 and those will be the work horse guns?

Also a big warning sign to me about the dlc is the fact they felt the need to delay any seasonal content a week to spread out content

Screams lack of content to me

Still excited to get in but I’m expecting shadow keep not forsaken

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I'm sure they'll patch it right before I have the time to play tonight.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I like not having seasonal stuff start immediately since it means not doubling uo on base Beyond Light with seasonal grind.

Yea I think a lot of people (reddit) are just overreacting because they rush through everything at such a blistering pace. I'm sure we'll get more guns over time, and they'll probably reintroduce old ones.

My only pet peeve personally is the reused armor across Crucible/Gambit/Vanguard

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    My only pet peeve personally is the reused armor across Crucible/Gambit/Vanguard

Yeah, I went to see the Drifter first due to them (if I recall correctly) saying you could get the old GP armor through him and I saw the new armor and went "Oh yeah, this looks pretty cool for Gambit armor. Fits pretty well." Then I went to Zavala and I was like "Oh, he has new armor to-...oh, it's the same thing Drifter had but in Vanguard colors. Wait, does Shaxx have the same thi-yes, yes he does. Hmmm."

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    How's everyone feel about the Stasis subclass so far?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).