As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kata Zero [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Chanus you rule

thanks buddy

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Hades is a spectacular game but I honestly can't consider it my game of the year. I think it's hampered in that by the fact that it's a rogue-like that only really innovates in its story presentation, which is perhaps bias on my part but really hurts my rating of it as an experience.

Half Life Alyx is definitely up there in terms of game of the year contenders, I could see it being my pick.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    my greatest skill is probably my ability to just knuckle down and get my work done first so it's out of the way and i never have to rush to finish things

but it also reveals just how much of my work day is unnecessary

i don't really mind having to be available 40 hours a week, just it's entirely unnecessary to be confined to a desk all of those hours most weeks

have you considered doing nothing until there's definitely just about not enough time to get your shit done then rushing through and just about getting things done while your heart beats out of your chest and swearing never to do this again until tomorrow

the problem is I'm divorced from any products of my labor and I sit alone in a cube, now an 80ft2 home office

I find that I am very fast about doing work if other people depend on it. Like if someone says I need this dataset as an input into my visualization, I will do the data engineering to make that happen as fast as possible and run my code in the evening for same day turnaround, etc.
    If there isn’t a clear purpose or if there’s just a vague deadline, I just don’t do much of anything.

I have two programming tasks that aren't due until the end of December. They will take a combined 1 day of programming. I keep waiting to start them because "I have plenty of time"

I literally cannot understand this. Every company I've ever worked for, including my current one, either downsizes personnel and/or loads on more work until every individual has far more work to do than can be reasonably done in a 40 hour work week.

There have been short periods of time, a few weeks or months here and there, when I've felt like there's been slack in my workload, but that's rare and transitory.

I think the work you do is about tech infrastructure and is quite real yeah? Like people will not be able to use their tech systems if your work goes badly.

I work on contracts where the end product is ‘analytics’ or sth that no one urgently needs. As such, the workload is very chill usually. My current contract is more concerned about performing the appearance of contract management than actually doing work so there’s a lot of nothingness.

Speaking of, I checked in with my remaining new job lead and they were basically like, we haven’t forgotten about you but we don’t know when we’ll have an update! Sigh. I’m taking next week off and I will restart the job search then.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think Hades did an excellent job of building combat mechanics and build progression that feel smooth and familiar but are also novel and intriguing.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    A few years ago, we had a number of employees in my department all quit in a row, and all of them mentioned burnout or exhaustion in our exit interviews.

After we replaced those people and got back up to our prior headcount, I did a structured employee engagement study for my department, basically doing some organizational psychology and asking people on my team about their experiences.

Out of the 10 people I interviewed, 8 of them said something in the category 'workload too high.'

Qualitatively, comments were stuff like

"I have a full-time job, and then somebody will throw a project in my laptop and suddenly I have to do my job and this extra project."
    "I feel like we need two of me."
    "When I and Megan [immediate peer] are both in the office, it's hard enough to get through our ticket list. But if either one of us calls out sick or goes on vacation, then tickets just pile up and pile up and pile up and then everybody gets mad at me."

I took all this to management and tried to talk to them about more headcount and just got shut down. Just a flat "no, we aren't talking about this."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    I think Hades did an excellent job of building combat mechanics and build progression that feel smooth and familiar but are also novel and intriguing.

I don't know that any of that was something I haven't experienced in a rogue-like before, though, it was just a particularly well-developed and polished version of that. Honestly, I played Pyre this year and while it's a far less polished game I was a lot more impressed with how they created something new and interesting with the gameplay. I would more easily call Pyre my game of the year than Hades.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    at the end of a mandatory training on data/security, there is a section where people can leave comments on the course and there are like

50 comments by coworkers, lauding the quality of the training reiterating that 'attacks can come from inside the organization!'

what type of person comments on a training video?!

'like if you still vibin to thwarted phishing attempts in 2020'

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    at the end of a mandatory training on data/security, there is a section where people can leave comments on the course and there are like

50 comments by coworkers, lauding the quality of the training reiterating that 'attacks can come from inside the organization!'

what type of person comments on a training video?!

'like if you still vibin to thwarted phishing attempts in 2020'

work sent out a survey about a thing recently

and it was 90 minutes long

i mean i got paid to do it but geez

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

I don't know that any of that was something I haven't experienced in a rogue-like before, though, it was just a particularly well-developed and polished version of that. Honestly, I played Pyre this year and while it's a far less polished game I was a lot more impressed with how they created something new and interesting with the gameplay. I would more easily call Pyre my game of the year than Hades.

Yeah depends what you are rating on. Hades is not the #1 most innovative game in the universe but neither are most other really good games. What it is is fluid and well-crafted and interesting and engaging and very pretty and fun to play. Very masterful game design and execution.

If you prioritize innovation, you will probably have to go deep indie and find wacky gameplay mechanics or weirdo structure of some sort.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Don't most awards shows require you to suck up to the committee of whoevers in order to get included?

I could see Valve not bothering because I mean who even knows what they're doing these days.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdy I've got Fiction (Dreams in Digital) on now and man that's a banger

they were good

I've honestly never heard Orgy before

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Arbys did a deep fried turkey hat and it instantly sold out
    it was amazing looking

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdy I've got Fiction (Dreams in Digital) on now and man that's a banger

they were good

I've honestly never heard Orgy before

i can usually hear orgy if they leave a window open

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    most people dont consider alyx because 99% of gamers cant play the damn thing
    and from what I seen it looked like hl2 except in VR?
    maybe there was something different but I think I watched sniper guy play it and it looked identical to HL2 except your avatar was alyx instead of gordon

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    man i don't think i've thought about Orgy since the 90s

they were part of that post-industrial group of bands i never really got into because i wasn't 14 anymore

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    my greatest skill is probably my ability to just knuckle down and get my work done first so it's out of the way and i never have to rush to finish things

i don't really mind having to be available 40 hours a week, just it's entirely unnecessary to be confined to a desk all of those hours most weeks

have you considered doing nothing until there's definitely just about not enough time to get your shit done then rushing through and just about getting things done while your heart beats out of your chest and swearing never to do this again until tomorrow

the problem is I'm divorced from any products of my labor and I sit alone in a cube, now an 80ft2 home office

I find that I am very fast about doing work if other people depend on it. Like if someone says I need this dataset as an input into my visualization, I will do the data engineering to make that happen as fast as possible and run my code in the evening for same day turnaround, etc.
    If there isn’t a clear purpose or if there’s just a vague deadline, I just don’t do much of anything.

I have two programming tasks that aren't due until the end of December. They will take a combined 1 day of programming. I keep waiting to start them because "I have plenty of time"

I literally cannot understand this. Every company I've ever worked for, including my current one, either downsizes personnel and/or loads on more work until every individual has far more work to do than can be reasonably done in a 40 hour work week.

There have been short periods of time, a few weeks or months here and there, when I've felt like there's been slack in my workload, but that's rare and transitory.

I think the work you do is about tech infrastructure and is quite real yeah? Like people will not be able to use their tech systems if your work goes badly.

I work on contracts where the end product is ‘analytics’ or sth that no one urgently needs. As such, the workload is very chill usually. My current contract is more concerned about performing the appearance of contract management than actually doing work so there’s a lot of nothingness.

Speaking of, I checked in with my remaining new job lead and they were basically like, we haven’t forgotten about you but we don’t know when we’ll have an update! Sigh. I’m taking next week off and I will restart the job search then.

That's a big part of it. But the catch-22 is that it isn't immediately (or consistently) the case that people will not be able to use their tech systems if your work goes badly. The consequences are deferred. Sometimes for years. Nobody updates Apache Struts for years, and nobody in upper management cares, until one day it's breached. (see: Equifax)

Over in r/sysadmin, there are a ton of stories that basically follow this pattern:

"My company laid off a bunch of IT people two years ago. Now we're facing imminent sword of damocles (looming obsolescence, major hardware failure, security audit, software licensing audit) and we need to clean up two years of neglect in three months."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    most people dont consider alyx because 99% of gamers cant play the damn thing
    and from what I seen it looked like hl2 except in VR?
    maybe there was something different but I think I watched sniper guy play it and it looked identical to HL2 except your avatar was alyx instead of gordon

It did a lot of great and fascinating things with the VR mechanics, and in general the uniqueness of the experience of playing it can't be understated. It's one thing to be clicking a screen shooting at combine, it's another thing entirely to be on your actual knees behind cover popping over to try to shoot combine standing a few feet away from you in real space with guns you are using your arms to actually aim.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Also it has the single best horror sequence that has ever been in a video game (if in part because it is literally impossible for any horror game not in VR to compare to horror in VR).

Winky on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

That's a big part of it. But the catch-22 is that it isn't immediately (or consistently) the case that people will not be able to use their tech systems if your work goes badly. The consequences are deferred. Sometimes for years. Nobody updates Apache Struts for years, and nobody in upper management cares, until one day it's breached. (see: Equifax)

Over in r/sysadmin, there are a ton of stories that basically follow this pattern:

"My company laid off a bunch of IT people two years ago. Now we're facing imminent sword of damocles (looming obsolescence, major hardware failure, security audit, software licensing audit) and we need to clean up two years of neglect in three months."

The best part is it's always like, the VP who made all the cuts got their bonus that year and then transferred out to some other organization.
    The new VP will also avoid any blame, and will probably turn around and farm the entire IT dept out to a service provider for more $ than the salaries of the original size internal dept, and get congratulations for their decisive action.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I don't think VR games stand a chance until it becomes a bit more ubiquitous
    Since the only way to judge them is by watching others play and that doesn't do them justice.
    i.e. Myself watching SniperGuy.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Seriously though the design of the horror sequence of Half-Life Alyx is so brilliant I could cry. If ever there was a Geralt "fuck" moment in gaming.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Me in 2020: I'm an introverted nerd so being quarantined doesn't affect me that bad

Also Me in 2020: Reaction videos are good, actually. Let me spend 4 hours watching folks react to stuff I've already seen.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I want to get a vr headset so I can play beat saber, but I’ve never even tried it, and it feels off to get an expensive console for a single game, plus shouldn’t I wait until the tech is more advanced etc etc etc
    But I love rhythm/dance games ;_;

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    succubi are great

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I don't think VR games stand a chance until it becomes a bit more ubiquitous
    Since the only way to judge them is by watching others play and that doesn't do them justice.
    i.e. Myself watching SniperGuy.

That is fair.

The combat and stuff in that game feels really great. I legit was immersed enough to be ducking and dropping to my knees to get behind cover. The gun mechanics were such that a zombie coming at you down a hallways as you struggle to reload your shotgun was a really tense and fun experience. Scrounging for ammo around the headcrabs was scary! I ran out at one point and had to pick up a chair to bat one away!

But the part of that game that really blew me away wasn't necessarily the puzzles or the combat, but it was a moment with Jeff. Probably a top ten of all time video game moment for me. Spoilers for Jeff!
    Jeff is a very scary monster who depends on sound to find you. You have to sneak around him, making noise to distract him, which is normally a mechanic I find pretty boring in games.

In this one, you're in a darker area, Jeff is lurking around. You have to go into a room, trigger a noise, loop around a shelf as Jeff runs into the room, then lock him in the room.

Fuck yeah, take that Jeff. Then you do another puzzle to open a door that Jeff would have killed you for otherwise. Then you need to activate an elevator. So you follow a wire in the wall so you can get the power to that elevator back on, because part of trapping jeff was turning off the elevator.

But to turn the power back on, you need to flip a switch. In the room with Jeff.

So you have to physically turn the crank and undo the bolt to open the door where you had just trapped Jeff. There's no timer or anything, it's just you in a scary dark room and knowing EXACTLY what is behind that door that you MUST open to progress. I stood there for two or three minutes just talking to twitch chat about how little I wanted to do this but how I knew I had to do it. It was a really great, really tense moment that I don't think would have hit nearly as hard without VR.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    man i don't think i've thought about Orgy since the 90s

they were part of that post-industrial group of bands i never really got into because i wasn't 14 anymore

Cutting deep Chanus.

How does it feel, to treat me like you do.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Other 2020 games:

Fall Guys, which as far as flash in the pan games go was real fun
    Doom Eternal
    Wasteland 3
    Crusader Kings 3
    Valorant

It's been a pretty crazy year for games, really

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Have you been promoted twice or just once chanus

depending how you look at it

i was hired from being a temp after two months (which is the fastest that's ever happened apparently)

promoted basically at the same time as my role changed from order tracking to handling a small branch

given the largest branch in the company to handle a few months later

promoted to a senior position within my level a couple months after that

that was year one

Please spare us mere mortals a fond thought when you leave your physical form behind and ascend to godhood within the next 18 months.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I want to get a vr headset so I can play beat saber, but I’ve never even tried it, and it feels off to get an expensive console for a single game, plus shouldn’t I wait until the tech is more advanced etc etc etc

I've played Beat Sabre and it didn't seem to benefit at all from being a VR game as far as I could tell.

The demo where you fiddled around on an cluttered desk was fun though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Have you been promoted twice or just once chanus

depending how you look at it

i was hired from being a temp after two months (which is the fastest that's ever happened apparently)

promoted basically at the same time as my role changed from order tracking to handling a small branch

given the largest branch in the company to handle a few months later

promoted to a senior position within my level a couple months after that

that was year one

Please spare us mere mortals a fond thought when you leave your physical form behind and ascend to godhood within the next 18 months.

there was an epic class in dnd 5th that was basically this description; "you become so badass that you are now a god"

• Options
    Seriously though the design of the horror sequence of Half-Life Alyx is so brilliant I could cry. If ever there was a Geralt "fuck" moment in gaming.

okay but which horror sequence tho

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedFastHummingbirdDerp

CHAIRS: THE ULTIMATE WEAPON

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I've played Beat Sabre and it didn't seem to benefit at all from being a VR game as far as I could tell.

I'm not sure you could do beat saber without it being in VR. Beat Saber rules and can be a pretty nice bit of cardio too

• Options
    edited November 2020
    what is san fransisco?

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

okay but which horror sequence tho

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedFastHummingbirdDerp

CHAIRS: THE ULTIMATE WEAPON

Jeff

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Do they spell it Beat Sabre in Europe?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Euroep

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I'm not sure you could do beat saber without it being in VR. Beat Saber rules and can be a pretty nice bit of cardio too

Maybe I missed some nuance, I only played a few levels

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Euroep

We should ask SnipreGuy

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular