As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The autocomplete deck feature in Hearthstone is wonderful right now. I threw in Confection Cyclone and said go, and this is what it gave me.

This is 100% my jam.

2x (1) Elemental Allies
    2x (1) Lab Partner
    2x (1) Magic Trick
    2x (1) Primordial Studies
    2x (1) Ray of Frost
    2x (1) Violet Spellwing
    2x (2) Confection Cyclone
    2x (2) Cram Session
    1x (2) Evocation
    2x (2) Mana Cyclone
    2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
    2x (2) Wandmaker
    1x (3) Chenvaala
    1x (4) Conjurer's Calling
    1x (5) Jandice Barov
    1x (5) Ras Frostwhisper
    2x (8) Mana Giant
    1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate

Code: AAECAc/6AwaDlgP4rAPFuAPQzgPZ0QOd2AMM5gSfmwPimwP/nQP7rAP9rAPzrwOFzQPNzgP30QP+0QP43QMA

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The Warlock burn-5-cards, get-another-copy, burn-5-more-cards combo should not exist in Hearthstone.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    The Warlock burn-5-cards, get-another-copy, burn-5-more-cards combo should not exist in Hearthstone.
    If only it wasn’t hard countered by the aggressive demon hunter decks.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I’m going to bring up Legends of Runeterra again (yes, I know you’re tired of hearing about it in the HS thread), but this is important!

LoR is doing it’s first ever big, in-client tournament starting on the 6th. 1024 players are in (the top 700 ranked players and 324 players to earn 7-wins in a gauntlet mode). First place earns $10,000, with the top 32 players earning cash ($150 for 32nd).

OK Dover, so what? That’s cool I guess? No! The cool part is that our very own Yilias made it into the tournament! We gotta all cheer him on to victory. He’s always been prominent in the HS thread, so I just wanted to pass this awesome news on. Good luck man!

Edit: and if he should make it through the grueling Swedish rounds and get into the top 32, I’m requiring everyone to watch the playoff stream and cheer him along in chat.

maybe i should play Runeterra

Can't tell if trolling, but yes, yes you really should.

i'm legit not trolling. i uninstalled hearthstone today cause i realized i'm just kinda sick of the meta and maybe even the game and the new reward system is kinda messed up and i just wasn't having fun anymore, so

plus just realizing the infinitely higher and higher cost of the game and how the only reason i hadn't quit sooner was because they hook you in with the "investment" you've made and how hard it is to come back if you leave

yeah, i legit might try it
    :O

What a difference ... a month made ... thirty little days

No hard feelings. <3 Dibby

Yeah turns out first impressions of a thing sometimes aren't how they end up turning out to be after some time passes and some reflection!! :P

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Is Rez Hunter doable? N'zoth and the two new Hunter purples are sitting in my collection unused and it feels like you could make something long-lasting out of menagerie death rattles.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The autocomplete deck feature in Hearthstone is wonderful right now. I threw in Confection Cyclone and said go, and this is what it gave me.

This is 100% my jam.

2x (1) Elemental Allies
    2x (1) Lab Partner
    2x (1) Magic Trick
    2x (1) Primordial Studies
    2x (1) Ray of Frost
    2x (1) Violet Spellwing
    2x (2) Confection Cyclone
    2x (2) Cram Session
    1x (2) Evocation
    2x (2) Mana Cyclone
    2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
    2x (2) Wandmaker
    1x (3) Chenvaala
    1x (4) Conjurer's Calling
    1x (5) Jandice Barov
    1x (5) Ras Frostwhisper
    2x (8) Mana Giant
    1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate

Code: AAECAc/6AwaDlgP4rAPFuAPQzgPZ0QOd2AMM5gSfmwPimwP/nQP7rAP9rAPzrwOFzQPNzgP30QP+0QP43QMA
    That is almost exactly what it's been giving me for Mage lately (I don't have Evocation). I wonder if it would be giving me Secret mage if I actually had the new Secret support cards (Sayge, Occult).

Unfortunately it also gets stomped by aggro decks.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Hey everyone! I’m going to bring up Legends of Runeterra again (yes, I know you’re tired of hearing about it in the HS thread), but this is important!

LoR is doing it’s first ever big, in-client tournament starting on the 6th. 1024 players are in (the top 700 ranked players and 324 players to earn 7-wins in a gauntlet mode). First place earns $10,000, with the top 32 players earning cash ($150 for 32nd).

OK Dover, so what? That’s cool I guess? No! The cool part is that our very own Yilias made it into the tournament! We gotta all cheer him on to victory. He’s always been prominent in the HS thread, so I just wanted to pass this awesome news on. Good luck man!

Edit: and if he should make it through the grueling Swedish rounds and get into the top 32, I’m requiring everyone to watch the playoff stream and cheer him along in chat.

maybe i should play Runeterra

Can't tell if trolling, but yes, yes you really should.

i'm legit not trolling. i uninstalled hearthstone today cause i realized i'm just kinda sick of the meta and maybe even the game and the new reward system is kinda messed up and i just wasn't having fun anymore, so

plus just realizing the infinitely higher and higher cost of the game and how the only reason i hadn't quit sooner was because they hook you in with the "investment" you've made and how hard it is to come back if you leave

yeah, i legit might try it
    :O

What a difference ... a month made ... thirty little days

No hard feelings. <3 Dibby

Yeah turns out first impressions of a thing sometimes aren't how they end up turning out to be after some time passes and some reflection!! :P
    Only sometimes. :bzz:
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Is Rez Hunter doable? N'zoth and the two new Hunter purples are sitting in my collection unused and it feels like you could make something long-lasting out of menagerie death rattles.
    At the moment, I would say no. Maybe reassess after whatever eventual nerf patch hits.

forty on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    12 game winstreak to diamond 5 with polkelt altruis hyper aggro DH

This is so brainless

I think dreadlord's bite and wriggling horror are too good in this deck

Mini fungalmancer and mini consecration on a weapon are strong?? Who knew

Beasteh on
  • Options
    I will never understand how some of you get to go so many games without running into someone highrolling their ass off.

PSA for the remaining few who haven't quit playing this mess. There's another choose your champion event, so pick whom you want to see go out in the first round and get one free pack.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Survival bias. We brag on social media when we overperform and not when we underperform.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/05ZLrgEu0sU?t=311

• Options
    I'm not talking about overall win rate, though. I'm talking specifically about ever getting to win that many games in a row on ladder. I doubt I've ever come close to 10 wins in a row because somewhere in there my opponent hits some sort of ridiculous nuts, completely shutting the game out, or I dead draw so hard that Team 5 should be tried in the Hague.

In unrelated news, it would appear I just hit a BG turn limit in an 8 AFK player game. I alt tabbed back in to check how it was going, 3 of us were remaining with 40 health left, a combat started, and then my hero exploded. It gave me 2nd place.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I'm not talking about overall win rate, though. I'm talking specifically about ever getting to win that many games in a row on ladder. I doubt I've ever come close to 10 wins in a row because somewhere in there my opponent hits some sort of ridiculous nuts, completely shutting the game out, or I dead draw so hard that Team 5 should be tried in the Hague.

It was Odd DH that got me my 12 in a row last month.

This month, Big Priest has infested the ladder. Odd DH is probably favored there, but it's not a pasting like it was last month.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    well it is rather easy to winstreak with demon hunter because you do a lot of damage very quickly and murder people on turn 5/6

• Options
    Not when you run into a Warrior who clears your shit and has 60+ health to burn through. :(

• Options
    Per game. Battlegrounds gives more raw exp than casual or ranked play.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Just beat a Druid as Pure Paladin.

He played Yogg (fuck that card) which of course came up with “cast all the spells” on the wheel (literally only result I’ve seen across 4 different opponents playing 7 Yoggs). It, of course, cast Potion of Illusion so the Druid could have another Yogg while simultaneously beating the crap out of my board.

My supersized Enraged Chicken, the sole survivor of my previous board, smacked him in the face for 14, leaving him at 8, when Yogg’s Rogue secret turned out to be +3-level-when-attacked, which upgraded : removed the free taunt he’d gotten from a Yogg-cast Libram of Hope.

So he runs his new Y’Shaarj and old Yogg into my Divine Guardian and he plays his new Yogg.

First spell: Pyroblast faces until someone dies.

First shot: His own face, killing him and handing me the game.

Get fucked, Yogg.

• Options
    Not when you run into a Warrior who clears your shit and has 60+ health to burn through. :(
    Or another classic example of the game's insurance if I ever dare to get 3 wins in a row:
    x7Dw6wu.png

Aggro mirror, opponent going first so he's already at an advantage and, naturally, he curved out great. He had a Reader ready right as his hand was getting empty. Meanwhile I draw 3 of my 4 weapons in my first 7 or 8 cards. And 11 cards into my deck I never got any draw.

• Options
    Have you considered bottling and selling your execrable luck

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    DH is easily countered by controll and Hunter aggro, which is why you are having more problems getting wins with DH.

Time to go midrange to be ahead of the meta.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Just beat a Druid as Pure Paladin.

He played Yogg (fuck that card) which of course came up with “cast all the spells” on the wheel (literally only result I’ve seen across 4 different opponents playing 7 Yoggs). It, of course, cast Potion of Illusion so the Druid could have another Yogg while simultaneously beating the crap out of my board.

My supersized Enraged Chicken, the sole survivor of my previous board, smacked him in the face for 14, leaving him at 8, when Yogg’s Rogue secret turned out to be +3-level-when-attacked, which upgraded : removed the free taunt he’d gotten from a Yogg-cast Libram of Hope.

So he runs his new Y’Shaarj and old Yogg into my Divine Guardian and he plays his new Yogg.

First spell: Pyroblast faces until someone dies.

First shot: His own face, killing him and handing me the game.

Get fucked, Yogg.
    Yeah...but Yogg is kind of fun to play, although I too get the random spell one the most. I did once get mindflayer goggles and they immediately resigned.

• Options
    Also of note I finally had the opportunity to cast all 4 old gods against a priest.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Have you considered bottling and selling your execrable luck
    The ultimate WMD.

Speaking of bad luck, here's the ultimate bad luck ping pong. Evolve Shaman pulling its usual highroll bullshit, 3 mana Mogu to clear one of my minions, then rotates it into the DH demon that drains stats from the opponents' minions, killing anything with 1 health and becoming a 15/15 this turn that likely would have killed me in no time. Fuck me!
    FZjQXGp.png

But wait! One of my minions rotated into a Doomsayer! Fuck you! Fuck everyone!

forty on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Speaking of Hearthstone grandmasters, Bloodyface has decided to come out as trans

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my spicy take is that if you like card games it's just fun to play every card game that comes out

try runeterra, try mythgard, try eternal, try faeria, even try the shitty fable hearthstone that was canceled and doesn't exist anymore and you can't try it. find a way.

not this one though

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Legend #40ish

2od3WK1.png?1

Stats:
    2irkAr4.png?1

List:
    ### Reno
    # Class: Priest
    # Format: Wild
    #
    # 1x (0) Raise Dead
    # 1x (1) Holy Smite
    # 1x (1) Northshire Cleric
    # 1x (1) Pen Flinger
    # 1x (1) Potion of Madness
    # 1x (1) Renew
    # 1x (1) Wave of Apathy
    # 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
    # 1x (2) Insight
    # 1x (2) Penance
    # 1x (2) Radiant Elemental
    # 1x (2) Seance
    # 1x (2) Shadow Visions
    # 1x (2) Shadow Word: Death
    # 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
    # 1x (2) Spirit Lash
    # 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
    # 1x (3) Apotheosis
    # 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
    # 1x (3) Breath of the Infinite
    # 1x (3) Palm Reading
    # 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
    # 1x (4) Kazakus
    # 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
    # 1x (4) Spawn of Shadows
    # 1x (5) Mass Hysteria
    # 1x (5) Raza the Chained
    # 1x (6) Reno Jackson
    # 1x (7) Psychic Scream
    # 1x (8) Shadowreaper Anduin
    #
    AAEBAZ/HAh6XAu0F0wrXCvIM9xPDFoUXg7sCtbsC2LsC0cEC2MEC8M8C6NACkNMCw+oCl4cD5ogD/KMDmakD8qwDk7oDr7oDn80Dy80D184D9tYD4t4D+98DAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

They gave me 11 star bonus this month so this is the 54 games from Bronze to Legend. 11 star meta is a bit different from 10 star meta, we're all pretty confident we'll get there eventually and you can kind of walk it into the net with suboptimal lists so it's less relentlessly cutthroat and a little memier.

As for the new cards
    Odd DH: People are playing a bunch of the new stuff like Dreadlord's Bite/Stiltstepper/Acrobatics but the deck still looks pretty bad
    Odd Paladin: Oh My Yogg is an auto-include, Carnival Barker is great, and Lothraxion seems like a sidegrade
    Big Priest: Wholly revitalized and now built around Blood of G'huun with Palm Reading accelerating the swing turns
    Reno Priest: Palm Reading and Insight are both great
    Secret Mage: Change of draw package with -1 Duplicate, -1 Netherwind, -1 Polkelt, -1 Aluneth, +2 Rigged Faire Game, +1 Occult Conjurer, +1 Sayge. Some people even go down to 6 secrets to squeeze more minions in but that seems sketchy to me.

Every other class either doesn't care about new stuff (Druid/Warlock) or doesn't exist.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Have been OK with the battle pass stuff but one of my weekly reward quests was “play an old god legendary from DMF 10 times”

I’m sorry but that is fucking stupid. Yes I get to re-roll but why is that even a quest to begin with?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Have been OK with the battle pass stuff but one of my weekly reward quests was “play an old god legendary from DMF 10 times”

I’m sorry but that is fucking stupid. Yes I get to re-roll but why is that even a quest to begin with?

$$$$$$$$

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Speaking of Hearthstone grandmasters, Bloodyface has decided to come out as trans

Wow, I feel extra bad since I had picked her as my champion, thus dooming her to immediate elimination. :(

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Secret Mage: Change of draw package with -1 Duplicate, -1 Netherwind, -1 Polkelt, -1 Aluneth, +2 Rigged Faire Game, +1 Occult Conjurer, +1 Sayge. Some people even go down to 6 secrets to squeeze more minions in but that seems sketchy to me.
    thinking-face.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Blizzard making changes to the rewards track.

Here's the full text dump:
    Since the launch of the new progression system, we’ve been listening to player feedback and carefully reviewing gameplay data from the first few weeks while designing a variety of updates to meaningfully address the elements that feel too slow, not rewarding, or too difficult to complete. We’re committed to getting this right. Our intent has been, and continues to be, to provide more rewards and a better progression experience than the previous system, and we’re sorry that our initial implementation missed that mark in a few important areas.

We’re ready to detail a series of changes that we will begin releasing later this month, and we will continue working to make the system even better over time. In this update, we will be adjusting or removing quests that players have let us know are too difficult to complete, reducing the amount of XP required to complete the 50-level rewards track by nearly 20%, adding two gold rewards on the track, and redesigning the bonus levels after level 50. We’re also planning a one-time log-in reward of 5 Darkmoon Faire packs and 500 Gold beginning on December 15th, which will be available until January 18th.

We want to make it clear that we aren’t treating the new rewards and progression systems as static, unchanging game elements, but rather a system that we can continually iterate on and improve over time. More enhancements will be coming to the rewards track in the future.

Here are the changes we are making later this month, as well as a quick look into the discussions we’re having for changes that will be coming early next year.

We’re adjusting a variety of daily and weekly quests to make them easier to complete.
    We now have a large amount of player feedback and data based on the first few weeks of daily and weekly quest completion, and we’re making numerous changes to improve quests overall.

We’re removing weekly quests that require Legendary cards and Arena runs. These quests are more difficult than intended for players due to the investment necessary. Frankly, these were a mistake and we shouldn’t have included them to begin with. They’ll no longer be in the quest pool after the update. Please note that if they are among your active quests after the update, they will not be automatically removed, but you can reroll them for a different quest.
    We’re changing the weekly quest “Win 7 Games of Ranked Play Mode” to “Win 5 Games of Ranked Play Mode.” This quest, as a guaranteed weekly quest, feels like it requires too much effort to complete. Adjusting the win requirement will ensure that a larger number of players will complete this weekly quest and keep up with the rewards.
    Tavern Brawls and Battlegrounds will now contribute to quest progress. Tavern Brawls and Battlegrounds will reward progress for any daily or weekly quests that they should naturally apply to. This should allow more flexibility in how to complete quests and make the rewards more consistent with previous gold earnings. For example, you’ll now be able to complete a quest like “Play Three Games as Priest, Rogue, or Warlock” by playing Tavern Brawls, and quests that require you to play Beasts, for example, can be completed by playing Beasts in Battlegrounds.
    We’re making small tweaks to certain quests. Some quests simply aren’t working as well as we think they should or are harder to complete than intended. For example, the quest “Play 50 Corrupt Cards” had a couple of issues making it too hard to complete. Now, Corrupted cards will properly count toward progress of this quest. We’re also reducing the requirement to 30 Corrupt Cards. These changes should make completing the quest much easier.
    All 800 XP daily quests will now reward 900 XP. We want to make quests feel more rewarding, so we’re increasing XP for daily quests so you can earn to your next rewards more quickly. Our hope is to make every quest feel like it rewards you for your time appropriately, and we’ll continue to make changes as needed.
    We’re reducing the amount of XP needed to reach certain levels in the rewards track.
    We’ve heard your feedback: higher levels of the reward track just take too much XP to reach. We originally included event reward XP when calculating our intended cadence of rewards. We’ve rethought this and recognize that the rewards track should stand on its own and not require event XP bonuses, making rewards predictable and consistent across an expansion. We will still have in-game events, of course, but they will remain consistent with our existing approach to event rewards instead of rewarding bonus XP for the rewards track.

We’re reducing the requirements of the current rewards track by a total of 37,000 XP (nearly 20%), which will make mid-to-late levels easier to reach and adjust for the absence of XP events. After this change, you’ll see that the XP requirement for a variety of levels will be lower and progression through levels will be faster. This is one step to ensure that progress through the rewards track feels consistent and doesn’t hit unusually slow periods of progress. The upcoming changes to daily and weekly quests should also support more rapid progress through these levels.

After this change is implemented, your existing earned XP value will be retained, so upon your next login you may see additional progress through levels based on your current XP total. Please review your rewards track to see what new rewards you may be able to claim.

We’re adding more gold rewards to certain levels of the rewards track.
    We’re adding 50 gold to the current rewards for levels 27 and 30. This is a simple change based on the rewards for those levels feeling especially underwhelming, and this helps us inject more gold into the rewards track to address feedback about slower gold earnings.

We’re adjusting rewards track bonus levels to provide steadier gold income.
    We’re redesigning the bonus rewards after completing levels 1-50. Player feedback highlighted how these bonus levels took too much time to earn, leading to long play sessions between rewards. The maximum bonus level is now 350, up from 150, and we’re splitting the XP and rewards across these levels. Each level beginning at level 51 will now take less XP to complete and reward 50 gold. After this change, you’ll see more rapid progress through these levels, though your earnings for each level will be smaller (as the XP and rewards have been split across 200 more levels). This will help players earn gold without an unusually high level of effort. We’ll be watching closely to ensure this gets players more predictable gold earnings.

What’s next?
    As we said earlier, these will not be our final changes to Hearthstone’s rewards and progression. Like with all content and systems within the game, our intent is always to release content, monitor feedback and data, and make the right choices for our players. We knew this would be a new and complex system that required iteration, and we are committed to short-term changes and a long-term vision to make this a fun and rewarding part of Hearthstone. We also want to strike a balance between making changes quickly and ensuring that we get things right, and we’re taking additional time past this point to plan the next round of updates that we would like to implement in the future.

We have some ideas about tweaking the 1-50 experience to make progression feel even better for players. We will keep working on this system to get it right, and we will share more information as we finalize our future plans. We’re thankful and fortunate to have such a passionate community, and your constructive feedback is always heard.

Ben Lee, Game Director

tl;dr
    • Overall XP reduction needed to get through level 50 by 20%
    • adding 50 gold to levels 27 and 30
    • max level now 350, up from 150
    • post level 51 now offers 50 gold and requires less xp
    • one-time bonus of 5 DMF packs and 500 gold on the 15th of December
    • no more Legendary/Arena quests
    • "win 7 games" down to "win 5 games"
    • Brawls and BG count towards quests
    • small tweaks to tougher quests
    • 800 xp quests now 900 xp

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Blizzard making changes to the rewards track.

Here's the full text dump:
    Since the launch of the new progression system, we’ve been listening to player feedback and carefully reviewing gameplay data from the first few weeks while designing a variety of updates to meaningfully address the elements that feel too slow, not rewarding, or too difficult to complete. We’re committed to getting this right. Our intent has been, and continues to be, to provide more rewards and a better progression experience than the previous system, and we’re sorry that our initial implementation missed that mark in a few important areas.

We’re ready to detail a series of changes that we will begin releasing later this month, and we will continue working to make the system even better over time. In this update, we will be adjusting or removing quests that players have let us know are too difficult to complete, reducing the amount of XP required to complete the 50-level rewards track by nearly 20%, adding two gold rewards on the track, and redesigning the bonus levels after level 50. We’re also planning a one-time log-in reward of 5 Darkmoon Faire packs and 500 Gold beginning on December 15th, which will be available until January 18th.

We want to make it clear that we aren’t treating the new rewards and progression systems as static, unchanging game elements, but rather a system that we can continually iterate on and improve over time. More enhancements will be coming to the rewards track in the future.

Here are the changes we are making later this month, as well as a quick look into the discussions we’re having for changes that will be coming early next year.

We’re adjusting a variety of daily and weekly quests to make them easier to complete.
    We now have a large amount of player feedback and data based on the first few weeks of daily and weekly quest completion, and we’re making numerous changes to improve quests overall.

We’re removing weekly quests that require Legendary cards and Arena runs. These quests are more difficult than intended for players due to the investment necessary. Frankly, these were a mistake and we shouldn’t have included them to begin with. They’ll no longer be in the quest pool after the update. Please note that if they are among your active quests after the update, they will not be automatically removed, but you can reroll them for a different quest.
    We’re changing the weekly quest “Win 7 Games of Ranked Play Mode” to “Win 5 Games of Ranked Play Mode.” This quest, as a guaranteed weekly quest, feels like it requires too much effort to complete. Adjusting the win requirement will ensure that a larger number of players will complete this weekly quest and keep up with the rewards.
    Tavern Brawls and Battlegrounds will now contribute to quest progress. Tavern Brawls and Battlegrounds will reward progress for any daily or weekly quests that they should naturally apply to. This should allow more flexibility in how to complete quests and make the rewards more consistent with previous gold earnings. For example, you’ll now be able to complete a quest like “Play Three Games as Priest, Rogue, or Warlock” by playing Tavern Brawls, and quests that require you to play Beasts, for example, can be completed by playing Beasts in Battlegrounds.
    We’re making small tweaks to certain quests. Some quests simply aren’t working as well as we think they should or are harder to complete than intended. For example, the quest “Play 50 Corrupt Cards” had a couple of issues making it too hard to complete. Now, Corrupted cards will properly count toward progress of this quest. We’re also reducing the requirement to 30 Corrupt Cards. These changes should make completing the quest much easier.
    All 800 XP daily quests will now reward 900 XP. We want to make quests feel more rewarding, so we’re increasing XP for daily quests so you can earn to your next rewards more quickly. Our hope is to make every quest feel like it rewards you for your time appropriately, and we’ll continue to make changes as needed.
    We’re reducing the amount of XP needed to reach certain levels in the rewards track.
    We’ve heard your feedback: higher levels of the reward track just take too much XP to reach. We originally included event reward XP when calculating our intended cadence of rewards. We’ve rethought this and recognize that the rewards track should stand on its own and not require event XP bonuses, making rewards predictable and consistent across an expansion. We will still have in-game events, of course, but they will remain consistent with our existing approach to event rewards instead of rewarding bonus XP for the rewards track.

We’re reducing the requirements of the current rewards track by a total of 37,000 XP (nearly 20%), which will make mid-to-late levels easier to reach and adjust for the absence of XP events. After this change, you’ll see that the XP requirement for a variety of levels will be lower and progression through levels will be faster. This is one step to ensure that progress through the rewards track feels consistent and doesn’t hit unusually slow periods of progress. The upcoming changes to daily and weekly quests should also support more rapid progress through these levels.

After this change is implemented, your existing earned XP value will be retained, so upon your next login you may see additional progress through levels based on your current XP total. Please review your rewards track to see what new rewards you may be able to claim.

We’re adding more gold rewards to certain levels of the rewards track.
    We’re adding 50 gold to the current rewards for levels 27 and 30. This is a simple change based on the rewards for those levels feeling especially underwhelming, and this helps us inject more gold into the rewards track to address feedback about slower gold earnings.

We’re adjusting rewards track bonus levels to provide steadier gold income.
    We’re redesigning the bonus rewards after completing levels 1-50. Player feedback highlighted how these bonus levels took too much time to earn, leading to long play sessions between rewards. The maximum bonus level is now 350, up from 150, and we’re splitting the XP and rewards across these levels. Each level beginning at level 51 will now take less XP to complete and reward 50 gold. After this change, you’ll see more rapid progress through these levels, though your earnings for each level will be smaller (as the XP and rewards have been split across 200 more levels). This will help players earn gold without an unusually high level of effort. We’ll be watching closely to ensure this gets players more predictable gold earnings.

What’s next?
    As we said earlier, these will not be our final changes to Hearthstone’s rewards and progression. Like with all content and systems within the game, our intent is always to release content, monitor feedback and data, and make the right choices for our players. We knew this would be a new and complex system that required iteration, and we are committed to short-term changes and a long-term vision to make this a fun and rewarding part of Hearthstone. We also want to strike a balance between making changes quickly and ensuring that we get things right, and we’re taking additional time past this point to plan the next round of updates that we would like to implement in the future.

We have some ideas about tweaking the 1-50 experience to make progression feel even better for players. We will keep working on this system to get it right, and we will share more information as we finalize our future plans. We’re thankful and fortunate to have such a passionate community, and your constructive feedback is always heard.

Ben Lee, Game Director

tl;dr
    • Overall XP reduction needed to get through level 50 by 20%
    • adding 50 gold to levels 27 and 30
    • max level now 350, up from 150
    • post level 51 now offers 50 gold and requires less xp
    • one-time bonus of 5 DMF packs and 500 gold on the 15th of December
    • no more Legendary/Arena quests
    • "win 7 games" down to "win 5 games"
    • Brawls and BG count towards quests
    • small tweaks to tougher quests
    • 800 xp quests now 900 xp

Yeah, thats not gonna be enough, I think.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

$$$$$$$$

Good News, they're getting rid of that quest!

The relevant bit:

Also fun:

We’ve heard your feedback: higher levels of the reward track just take too much XP to reach. [n]We originally included event reward XP when calculating our intended cadence of rewards.[/b] We’ve rethought this and recognize that the rewards track should stand on its own and not require event XP bonuses, making rewards predictable and consistent across an expansion. We will still have in-game events, of course, but they will remain consistent with our existing approach to event rewards instead of rewarding bonus XP for the rewards track.
    Bolding mine.

Reading through the whole post, I feel that:
    1 - Some of the bad choices were just because they were being stupid, like the "play the old gods!" one. Completely get why you would want to do that thematically, but if you're going to do something like that, you need to be giving everyone 1 free old god. Anyone not in their bubble could have told them this was dumb, but at least they are getting rid of it.

2 - They got greedy as hell. Including the timed events in the baseline rewards structure that already wasn't as rewarding as the old system where the event were an extra cherry on top? Gross.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Also, isn't this basically the playbook for making changes that aren't friendly to the player?

Step 1: Decide the unfriendly change you want to make
    Step 2: Make that change about 20% worse than it needs to be
    Step 3: Release the worse change (Playerbase gets up in arms)
    Step 4: Walk the change back by 20% to show the players you care, throw a one-time extra gift if you need to (Playerbase is grateful and feels like they won)
    Step 5: Profit off your new original unfriendly change

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Also, this is interesting:
    We originally included event reward XP when calculating our intended cadence of rewards. We’ve rethought this and recognize that the rewards track should stand on its own and not require event XP bonuses, making rewards predictable and consistent across an expansion. We will still have in-game events, of course, but they will remain consistent with our existing approach to event rewards instead of rewarding bonus XP for the rewards track.
    Did you catch it?

The original plan was to hand out a certain amount of extra XP through various events. With that extra XP in mind (according to Blizzard), the total gold we would earn would be bigger than before the new system.

Now, that extra XP has been worked into standard progression and there won't be any more bonus XP through various events.

Which means (potentially) that the total amount of XP for each expansion-duration will stay the same.

Which means that 20% reduction in XP might be no net-difference for us. The only change is that we get the more historically standard rewards from events.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Also, isn't this basically the playbook for making changes that aren't friendly to the player?

Step 1: Decide the unfriendly change you want to make
    Step 2: Make that change about 20% worse than it needs to be
    Step 3: Release the worse change (Playerbase gets up in arms)
    Step 4: Walk the change back by 20% to show the players you care, throw a one-time extra gift if you need to (Playerbase is grateful and feels like they won)
    Step 5: Profit off your new original unfriendly change

Yep. This is pretty much exactly what Apex did a month ago, though I think that ended up with Step 4 being "Walk the change back to nearly the exact same point as previous"

It's basically a form of Anchoring

Edit: Just keep in mind that they won't mess with the monetization system unless they think it will drive engagement or profit up, otherwise there's no reason to spend the budget/time to develop a new system. The era of a company making purely positive changes for its playerbase is over, at least for the larger studios that are bound to big publishers/corps. The Devs likely don't like it much more than we do, since they have to bear the brunt of the feedback while also shilling for the new system.

ronzo on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Seems like the changes are good. But I’m a realist in terms of this being a F2P and Blizz needing to make money.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Seems like the changes are good. But I’m a realist in terms of this being a F2P and Blizz needing to make money.

Charging $50-80 for a preorder 3 times a year, along with $10-20 for BG wasn't enough? And now they're going to add mini expansions halfway through the main expansions that just add those cards into the same packs too.

I'd say they were making a decent amount of money before, but this is Activision, so they always want more.

• Options
    Another PSA: If you're a Sprint or T-Mobile customer, you can apparently get a free Darkmoon Faire pack from this site. Looks like you just give them your mobile number, get texted a verification code, put in the code, and get a code to redeem at www.battle.net/redeem.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    ronzo wrote: »
    I'd say they were making a decent amount of money before, but this is Activision capitalism, so they always want more.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg