As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I want to say there was some pre-release noise from Blizz back then that the Genn/Baku thing was going to happen and I've heard nothing but AREN'T QUESTS GRAND this time around.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Nothing in Alterac even compares to the raw vicious powercreep of Questlines

Why do they keep doing this

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Nothing in Alterac even compares to the raw vicious powercreep of Questlines

Why do they keep doing this

It seems like you've already forgotten about the Heroes in Alterac

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the heroes are powerful but they suffer the horrible weakness of "coming down on turn 7"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    And into diamond under the wire. Not too bad considering this isn't exactly a super consistent deck and I had to climb from bronze with no bonus which took SO LONG

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Okay I kinda felt bad for that last warlock
    Turn 3 I equip SSS
    Turn 4 I secret passage into silverleaf + deadly poisons
    Turn 5 is octobot + penflinger + octobot + penflinger
    Turn 6 I have 40 damage and 2 spare mana
    He even managed to get double rod discounts on full hands and made a ridiculous board the turn he died

Phyphor on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Obviously small sample size, because I played one game. But the new hero Scabbs felt really good in a lobby with full tokens and playing Shinese curve. I was able to get a token for 2 gold from my opponents every turn in the early game and so I could get three tier 5 triples. Even though I didn't hit the nuts (I think I had to take like Lightspawn, Bizarro Lightspawn and SI:Fin), it was enough to give me a good edge. I also kept pressing the button and even got Branns Brann, so I switched to full murlocs at one point. I won with the usual poison/selfless/baron against big elementals.

Scabbs will definitely be worse if the economy doesn't work out like this, but with enough tokens, I will consider him always.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Does the Honor/Rank Up thing continue past the release of the expansion, or do I need to make a concentrated effort to grind out those levels now before next Tuesday?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    It lasts until the expansion after this. Do not attempt to no-life it this week. There is a lot more than you think there is.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The app broken on phones for anyone else? Just sits on the tavern door screen for a few minutes then pops up a "you've been disconnected click to try to reconnect" message, which then repeats the above.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021

As in you can't use him anymore or you can't earn him anymore? Because i have like a grand total of 50 dust toward him and would be annoyed if he's no longer earnable but folks that paid lots of cash to get him or grinded there and got lucky get to keep.

Edit: nvm, it's battlegrounds not mercs. Mercs is really all i play, haven't played the other modes in years (i think pve Naxx adventure was the last thing).

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Yeah, diablo on BGs was just incredibly annoying. Then they made him OP and annoying. Should have been removed way sooner, but I guess Blizz doesn't work during Thanksgiving week?

• Options
    Apparently app uninstall + reinstall fixes whatever that glitch was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It lasts until the expansion after this. Do not attempt to no-life it this week. There is a lot more than you think there is.
    Yeah, when they posted the numbers, I saw that it will take hundreds of games to finish the climb. It's hard to estimate since wins give different amounts in an unpredictable fashion, but my quick napkin math says you're looking at having to play around 350 games assuming a nominal win rate. Unless you play a ton, this will take a good part of the expansion.

forty on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What happens when you reach the top rank? Do you get a new hero portrait? An exclusive Legendary?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    You get one of the hero portraits from hitting the 200x multiples on battlepasses.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What happens when you reach the top rank? Do you get a new hero portrait? An exclusive Legendary?
    I thought you got the golden legendary of the other faction than the one you chose.

• Options
    Yuck, got a new Daily Quest to do 100 frost damage.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I thought you got the golden legendary of the other faction than the one you chose.

A diamond version of the card of the winning faction gets given to everyone at the end. Think this is the only additional card.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular

These are designed to push people into Mercs. You can do 100 frost damage in about 20 seconds there.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »

These are designed to push people into Mercs. You can do 100 frost damage in about 20 seconds there.
    Maybe if you have the right heroes leveled up for it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll see what I can do there.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

Thx for the tip!

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I like how they give you this new Legendary Quest thing with Honor or whatever and then don't even bother to explain what Honor is or how to get it

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I like how they give you this new Legendary Quest thing with Honor or whatever and then don't even bother to explain what Honor is or how to get it
    The ultimate irony is that in WoW, you mostly get honor in Battlegrounds. So of course in Hearthstone you get 0 honor in Battlegrounds.

• Options
    The ultimate irony is that in WoW, you mostly get honor in Battlegrounds. So of course in Hearthstone you get 0 honor in Battlegrounds.

I WAS SO MAD WHEN I FOUND THAT OUT LIKE DUDE FUCK ALL I PLAY IS BATTLEGROUNDS

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    What annoys me is excess honor doesn't carry over. I needed 10 more honor to rank up, got 40, but started next rank at 0 anyway.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    VS set review is up

I feel like they way overhype warlock and shaman, the rogue legendary hero looks absolutely disgusting though

e: this will also be the first proper expansion (not mini-set) that I haven't pre-ordered since Hearthstone released in 2014

turns out Mercenaries was what it took to wake me up to what a gross nasty cash grab this game is

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It'd be fascinating to find out how many fairly consistent spenders became ... not that due to Mercenaries. Anecdotally I've seen a significant number of people posting stories similar to yours.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    They can't seem to nerf Mage enough for me to not have to face one every four games.
    Also every damn time they're highrolling or I'm lowrolling and it's just the most miserable experience for me.

Edit: Two in a row, finally didn't get outrolled. God damn.

forty on
  • Options
    It'd be fascinating to find out how many fairly consistent spenders became ... not that due to Mercenaries. Anecdotally I've seen a significant number of people posting stories similar to yours.

I gave Mercs a Fair Swing when it launched, went "Oh, this is kind of neat? A lil like a gacha game, yknow. S'got the farming and the upgrades and what not, sure." Then like a day or two later I was like "Yeah wow no, this has no fucking legs, and it's literally all the worst parts of a gacha game slapped together without any focus or anything". I even tried it a bit later on and I was just like "This is just, why. This is all just the same shit, over and over, and I don't-- why".

And also I was correct, the only content they're adding for PVE is "Here's a new zone I guess, here's a few new Mercs, grind for them lollll". The PVE zones are so barren and devoid of any sort of... soul, or, anything. The game mode feels soulless, it lacks heart. It just feels like some shambling husk that they pooped out real quick banking on it to be a money grab.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Mercs is just so insanely repetitive. I suppose that's maybe just the nature of mobile/gacha games, but at least in some of them the core repetitive gameplay is at least somewhat fun, but the mercs grind is hella boring. It's a real shame. Does anyone who spent money on it feel like it was money well spent? I gotta wonder if this thing will be making them any noticeable amount of money in a month or two.

forty on
  • Options
    Yeah the thing is like though, with pretty much EVERY OTHER gacha game there's regular flows of new content. And not just "here's new unit(s), here's new level(s)", like you get full on events with stories and shit, all pretty well written and often humorous. Or like yknow they'll come out with an entire new chapter addition to The Main Story, which is also good. There's downtime in between content and that's your autopilot mode basically, you just farm mats for a bit and go full no thoughts head empty.

It keeps things fresh, more or less, and keeps things from feeling repetitive. I'm honestly not sure how they managed to crib all the worst parts of a gacha game and make them worse somehow.

You don't even get to do pulls, like come on that's half of the appeal

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Also this was my first time playing ranked in like 2 months because I wanted to check out the weird honor system before it went away and holy shit how is Mr Smite allowed

What an absurdly broken card that is

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the gameplay in mercs just feels unfinished

there's the skeleton of something interesting there but I was deeply bored by the time I finished like, the first post-tutorial map and didn't feel any inclination to go further with it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Also this was my first time playing ranked in like 2 months because I wanted to check out the weird honor system before it went away and holy shit how is Mr Smite allowed

What an absurdly broken card that is

Frankly I barely see Mr Smite even played, most of my opponents these days are Warlocks who are drawing their entire deck while healing 20+ life and dropping cheap statsticks to win the game without even needing to finish their questline.

• Options
    I don't always see Mr. Smite, but when I do I'm getting hit for 20+ damage from hand.

• Options
    mr smite is one of those iconic kind of cards where, numerically, it is not a meaningfully broken card, maybe gets an extra percentage point to the deck...but an absolutely fucking miserable out of nowhere death when he kills you

but then, miserable sudden deaths is this expansion babyee

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    the gameplay in mercs just feels unfinished

there's the skeleton of something interesting there but I was deeply bored by the time I finished like, the first post-tutorial map and didn't feel any inclination to go further with it

I remember when they first started talking about it, they compared it to Slay The Spire.

Then, further down the line, they began walking that back real hard.

I honestly wonder if it was meant to be something else entirely and it just, took a hard left turn or something.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Perhaps surprising no one the 9 mana “Cast 20 mana worth of mage spells at enemies” doesn’t actually do what it says on the card. What it actually does is cast random spells until the total cost exceeds 20 and targets enemies if the spell can.

Like why not just write what it does on the card?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    "Pisses off one player" would be more succinct.