As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    2pbiov94wjau.png

Meaningless number is meaningless. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Playing around testing my new GPU... Can anyone name any games with built-in benchmarking tests?

I've already run 3dmark, AC Valhalla, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I can't think what else has tests but I know a bunch do...

HZD, BL3, AC:O, Civ VI

Is the new card glorious? Does it have all the pixels?

HZD has a benchmark? Ooh kay then!

It is... glorious. Literally doubled my 3dmark score.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider with old system, normal detail, medium ray tracing was 52 FPS avg, dipping to mid-20s. With new GPU, max settings, high ray tracing, is 95 FPS avg, dipping to mid-70s minimum.

I HAS A HAPPY

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

Shadowbringers Benchmark. :biggrin:

It seems cruel to suggest a benchmark that has a character creator.

Lot of monsters in this thread.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Extremely High, my kind of game

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Talus9952 for gifting me Rain World!

I've been living the life of a hardened Yakuza lately but I feel like I can redeem myself later with this one.

Nurse the alien creature back to health, teach it how to kill weird predators with sticks, etc. I've also been playing Bloodborne so I'm ready to get my ass kicked some more.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Many, many thanks to @Talus9952 for the early Keysgiving gift of Shadwen!

nrqdxjqqasvf.png

Some of my favorite gaming memories are of sneaking around, completely undetected, to accomplish my noble / nefarious aims - great games like Thief, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, Styx, etc.

Thank you, Talus! :D

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If I have never played a Yakuza game before, is it better to start with 0 or Kiwami?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    If I have never played a Yakuza game before, is it better to start with 0 or Kiwami?
    Like a dragon or Zero. Never got super far in Zero but I always hear people say its a surprisingly good starting point.

I highly reccomend LAD. Good stuff so far.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Talus9952 for The Technomancer! :heartbeat:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Thanks to @Talus9952 for The Technomancer! :heartbeat:
    Spiders (the dev) get better with every game.

What I love most about them is that each game usually feels pretty original too.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    649a4zytdii7.jpg
    bw4aetc72kra.jpg

All right Yakuza 7, you've made your point.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If you can't play Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition, Like a Dragon is the next best thing.

Its about a bunch of hobos in their 40s trying to get their shit together, just like you remember from the classics.
    itNu1ni.jpg

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Talus9952 for keys for BOTH Ancestor's Legacy and Beholder 2. Crazy!

• Options
    Man, Talus is on a roll.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @UseR2006 is classy with style, comic style that is by smacking me with a couple of stylish looking games. The original XIII because the remaster sucks, and Post Void because it looks like an acid trip of a shooter.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Thanks very much to @UseR2006 for the fanastic gift of MORTAL GLORY! It's a turn-based tactical strategy gladiator combat game - sounds pretty freakin' sweet to me. Thanks again :biggrin:

wvfzg15xfmlo.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    @Talus9952 struck while I was sleeping!

What I woke up to:

kmp6hqjkhorg.jpg

What it was:

cv3033ft8dhu.jpg

Thanks for Redout! I've been looking at that for a while!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I would like to report that I was also keyed by Talus.

Do Not Feed the Monkeys.

Also the key he gave me was for the game, "Do Not Feed the Monkeys."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Sale starts in a couple hours?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    If you can't play Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition, Like a Dragon is the next best thing.

Its about a bunch of hobos in their 40s trying to get their shit together, just like you remember from the classics.
    itNu1ni.jpg

0s1rvjqrfaao.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Sale starts in a couple hours?

Many of the current sales seem to have 25+ hours left, so I'd guess tomorrow instead of today. We'll see.

• Options

itNu1ni.jpg

0s1rvjqrfaao.jpg
    Did Yakuza just invent some sort of new fetish?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Is that from Like a Dragon? I thought it was supposed to be a turn-based affair like the old Dragon Quest games?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    Is that from Like a Dragon? I thought it was supposed to be a turn-based affair like the old Dragon Quest games?

You still walk around the city as the overworld, but you get into JRPG style battles instead of a beat em up brawler like the previous Yakuza games.

The player protag is a nerd who is obsessed with Dragon Quest, and sees the world like an RPG

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It is.

https://youtu.be/ynGwLvNOKoE

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Both should work. 0 is a prequel while Kiwami is a remake of the first game. While this means 0 is the first chronologically, it also seems to contain younger versions of characters that don't show up until later games past 1 so there's an argument that it's better appreciated after some more experience with the series.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @isorn not only ruined my "staying gift free" streak (I was almost at a month!) but he also found the perfect pun game to gift. Thanks man :heartbeat:

kvdCffI.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Both should work. 0 is a prequel while Kiwami is a remake of the first game. While this means 0 is the first chronologically, it also seems to contain younger versions of characters that don't show up until later games past 1 so there's an argument that it's better appreciated after some more experience with the series.

Decided to start with 0, and am fairly sure there have been a couple of scenes of "oh, we know who that guy is"

• Options
    Yeah, I think Yakuza 0 is only made stronger if you have even a vague idea of what happens in Yakuza 1, so a lot of the "Oh it's this guy! And he's not the way you expect him to be!" stuff doesn't land for somebody who has no idea who somebody is.

Yakuza 0 and 1 spoiler:
    Like, I'm sure seeing Kiryu and Nishiki hanging out and being friends in 0 is more painful if you know Nishiki betrays you in Yakuza 1. I was only vaguely aware of the plot of Yakuza 1, so I know it's a thing, but if you don't know Y1, he's just your friend. Maybe that works better when he betrays you later.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Bestiary in Like a Dragon also doubles as a pokedex for a pokemon themed subquest.

Sujimon = super jittery monsters.

(last screenshot, I swear!)
    kd7guGW.jpg

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    It is.

Okay this looks great. I was imagining it as some 16-bit affair.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    It is.

A fan pointed out in Twitter they missed the chance to have the menu spell Sega, so they changed it

• Options
    It is.

A fan pointed out in Twitter they missed the chance to have the menu spell Sega, so they changed it

To be fair, that "fan" was Mark McDonald from 8-4 Play/Enhance, who works in Japanese games.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It is.

To be fair, that "fan" was Mark McDonald from 8-4 Play/Enhance, who works in Japanese games.

I remember him well from the 1UP podcast days. He's a good dude.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

I think the answer to that for every entry in the series is going to be a yes.

C0C8FC85E3D46DAD05975FDF2E69601A66AF4B5B

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Talus9952 keyed me.

And now I have these three things:
    e3h0199rmkvx.png

I can only assume this means it's his birthday. Noted.

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Bestiary in Like a Dragon also doubles as a pokedex for a pokemon themed subquest.

Sujimon = super jittery monsters.

(last screenshot, I swear!)
    kd7guGW.jpg

Subquest given to you by this guy:

3ktotv1ta4s2.jpg
    m85lujegcayn.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

itNu1ni.jpg

0s1rvjqrfaao.jpg

wkASRs3.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

itNu1ni.jpg

0s1rvjqrfaao.jpg

wkASRs3.png
    https://youtu.be/__m90SnNjvM

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Steam Thread!!

What's that, iolo? The Steam thread is older than 10 years. What are you on about?

Well sure, the actual threads are older than that. But 10 years ago, almost to the minute, this post set off an explosion:

D5Hdo1T.png

Our man @Anon the Felon, inspired by that year's Thanksgiving Steam sale and its flash deals and inexpensive multi-packs, decided to open up his friend list to PA forumers and to share out some goodwill in the form of wishlisted games.

That lovely, lovely post set off a cascade of friending and gifting that has grown, evolved and sustained itself to this day. There was gifting in the thread before that. A couple people on that page above got gifts, and even someone named "Isy" reported getting an Assassin's Creed game as a gift a few pages before.

But as you can see in the thread, what really sprang into being right there was the community. Within 24 hours, Anon the Felon reported over 60 new friends!

nXqyxgM.png

Other people got into the act, friending each other. People started doling out some of those crazy bundles - a six pack of Borderlands, an 8 pack of Deus X, a 12 (!) pack of Audiosurf, etc. - to other people here just because they were here. Some familiar faces were there at the time:

Fi2hVcW.png

The community has gone through a lot since then - friending and gifting, top hats and monocles, limed text, wishlist stalking, contests, recommending games, charitable fundraising, comic edits, epic gladatorial events and space exploration, gift beggars (the first one, joining the forum just to ask for games, appeared within 24 hours!), the G&T Adventure Team, co-op play, The Mystery of Nobody, Steamgifts, Let's Plays, class assault, monstering, a progressively more glorious OP that no one reads, 24 hours streams, and more!

I love this community - the thread and the forums at large. It is my home on the Internet and has been for some time. I wanted to commemorate this anniversary with something special. So, even though Steamgift gifting is somewhat out of vogue (and has been since Steam did away with games in the inventory), I'm going to put up some of the community's most wanted games:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

If you have any interest in these games I encourage you to enter. You don't have to play it right away (or ever, honestly)! If you win and the game is Euroshielded or otherwise blocked from my American self sending you a copy on Steam, I'll work with you to find a way.

Happy Anniversary, All, and Happy Thanksgiving! <3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Goodness gracious, @Iolo there's some top notch stuff going in that post. My Class Detector overloaded... :o

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.