As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Literally any other game besides TLOU would be a good use of time. Remastered 1 still looks and plays great?

Where's my Soul Reaver remake?

Where!?
    Forget the remake, make a final game to wrap things up.

The Kain IP gathering dust is one of the greatest crimes against humanity.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Literally any other game besides TLOU would be a good use of time. Remastered 1 still looks and plays great?

Where!?

Amy Henig does not really make games anymore. Without her involved, we are better off without one more Kain game.

https://youtu.be/BZLROqARRXo

....but I wouldn't mind a total remake of the first Blood Omen.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    An HD uprez of the series would be an instant purchase for me.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    vamen wrote: »

Where!?

Amy Henig does not really make games anymore. Without her involved, we are better off without one more Kain game.

https://youtu.be/BZLROqARRXo

....but I wouldn't mind a total remake of the first Blood Omen.

Semi-related fun anecdote:

The game developer I used to work for did a port of the original Legacy of Kain, and one of my coworkers was the one responsible for converting all of the blood splatters to higher res images. After the port wrapped, he took a couple weeks off for mental health leave because spending 10 hours a day painting blood and gore spatters apparently gets to you after a while.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Soul Reaver wasn't the direction the Omen team really wanted to take the franchise in anyway, maybe whoever was at Silicon Knights could get another crack at it...

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Just want to say - it’s baffling how quick this thing is selling out during a pandemic with record levels of unemployment.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Australian stores and it’s totally ‘blink and you’ll miss it’.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Has there been any word or idea at all when you might be able to walk into a store and just buy one?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    anoffday wrote: »
    Has there been any word or idea at all when you might be able to walk into a store and just buy one?

I thought about throwing together a spreadsheet to analyze prior scalping prices against current ones and plot the change to estimate when the prices normalize to retail and thus the consoles start actually getting stocked in stores.

But then I remembered I don't know how to do aaaaaany of that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2021
    anoffday wrote: »

I thought about throwing together a spreadsheet to analyze prior scalping prices against current ones and plot the change to estimate when the prices normalize to retail and thus the consoles start actually getting stocked in stores.

But then I remembered I don't know how to do aaaaaany of that.

If you're serious about that, you could always (spoilered for nerd):
    ... throw the price data into Excel in two columns, one with the dates and one with the prices sold by on that date. After all the data is entered, make a scatter plot chart with the dates on the X axis and the prices on the y.

Once the chart is there, right click it and add a trendline. Then right click on the trendline and open up the format pane. You can select what kind of trendline it's doing. You'll want to select whatever type gives you the best fit, but I'm guessing an exponential decay. There's an option to project the trendline forward, and you can just do that and see how far out you have to go before it hits $500, or gets near enough.

That's not exactly good enough for peer review, but it's a quick and dirty way to see what the trend is.

(You could also just eyeball the data points and take a guess that would probably be about as accurate, but that's not worth near as many nerd points.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Just want to say - it’s baffling how quick this thing is selling out during a pandemic with record levels of unemployment.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Australian stores and it’s totally ‘blink and you’ll miss it’.

Record levels of unemployment, but also record levels of people working from home, unable to go out and spend their disposable income.
    (I'm up a couple of thousand pounds on a non-pandemic year, just based on commuting/food costs)
    Sure that's not everyone, but it's clearly enough demand to exceed supply.
    I think it's going to be another year or so before it's widely available, just based on the production problems.

is there any official data on how many PS5s have been made so far, compared to the PS4's lifecycle?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah new PS5 firmware update!

-Store PS5 games on external HDs now.
    -Game Library additions like being able to hide games!
    -other stuff I don’t care nearly as much about

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Does it fix the issue of phantom icons sticking around after you delete games?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Is that the one where they show up to the left of the Store icon?
    If so, go to the game library and start downloading the game. That should put it back on the right side. Then cancel the download. That fixed it for me.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Oh thank you digital Jesus

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Is that the one where they show up to the left of the Store icon?
    If so, go to the game library and start downloading the game. That should put it back on the right side. Then cancel the download. That fixed it for me.

But that workaround is silly and shouldn't be necessary.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    You can store the games but still not run them from the external storage :(

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was just thinking back on Sony's old motto of "Play, Create, Share" that they ran during the PS3 era, and I wish they were still doing that.

I could really go for an entirely new PS5 ModNation Racers game.

For some reason I've been really thinking about that game lately, and how great it was to be able to make your own custom tracks and such. The PS3 was not a terrible system by any means, and it gave us some of the greatest games of all time (GoW3, LOU, Uncharted 2, etc) but even still, the original MNR was held back by the technology of the time, namely low RAM and slower processors/video cards. Just imagine how awesome a modern MNR would be with the fast loading times of the PS5, plus improved processing times and so forth.

Dear Sony,

Please make a new ModNation Racers game.

Love,

Lucas

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Microsoft is the same and this isn't ever going to change. Next gen games will only play on next gen storage by definition.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'd rather not be able to run them from an external solution as that'll be MUCH slower than the on-drive solution.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

That's because the entire system architecture is built around their new SSD system. Installing games to an external drive would probably break everything.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm just happy about being able to hide games. My library tab was ridiculous from day 1. It'll be nice to trim that down.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That's because the entire system architecture is built around their new SSD system. Installing games to an external drive would probably break everything.

Yes, I know, but for a moment I thought that they had announced we'd be able to, which had been a big surprise for me.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/13/ps5-april-update-brings-new-storage-options-and-social-features/

Full Update Info:
    -Store PS5 Games on Compatible External USB Drives.(USB 3 250gb - 8TB supported) With this feature, you can now transfer your PS5 games to USB extended storage from your console’s internal storage. It’s a great way to extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console, and you can seamlessly copy your PS5 games back to the console’s internal storage when you’re ready to play. It is faster to reinstall PS5 games from USB extended storage than to re-download or copy them from a disc.

-Cross-generation Share Play. PS4 and PS5 players can now Share Play together while chatting in parties. This means PS5 console users can let their friends on PS4 consoles view their game screen, or even try out the PS5 games through Share Play, and vice versa. Options include the ability to share your screen with a friend, pass your controller virtually to a friend, or pass a second controller virtually to play co-op games together.

-Improved Game Base. The Game Base menu has been improved for quicker access to important content and features. You can now easily switch between Parties and Friends to start chatting with your existing parties or see what each of your online friends is up to. In addition, you can turn notifications on or off for each of the parties you’re in.

-Request to Join Game Session. A selection of your friends’ joinable game sessions will now appear on both PS5 and PS4 consoles, allowing for more gameplay opportunities together. The “Request to Join” option also serves as a shortcut to sending a game invite, reducing the time it takes for you to get into games with friends. Through the Privacy Settings menu, you can modify who can interact with you through parties, games and messages.

-Disable Game Chat or Adjust Players’ Volume. You can now quickly disable in-game chat, which turns off your mic audio and the voice audio of other players. Additionally, you can easily adjust the individual voice chat volume of other players in the same chat so you don’t have to ask your friends to lower or increase their mic volume each time.

-Game Update Pre-download. Once it’s enabled by developers, title updates for games will pre-download to your console if the “automatic updates” setting is enabled and your console is on or in rest mode. This will let you start playing the latest version of a game immediately after the update’s release.

-Customize Game Library. With the ability to search your library or hide games from view, it’s now easier to find content and personalize your view of your game library.

-Screen Zoom. You can now adjust the magnification of the screen to suit your preference from the Settings menu.

-New Trophy Settings and Stats Screen. The level of trophies that results in automatic capture of a screenshot or video clip can now be customized — so you can now choose to only capture and save images/videos of moments when you earn higher-grade trophies, like Gold or Platinum. We’re also introducing a new player Trophy Stats screen, where you can check out the summary of your trophy level and status at a glance.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder how long until we can expand the internal storage? I would have to guess the pandemic has delayed the development and production of compatible SSDs.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Did they fix that bug that caused some games to have the RECORDING PAUSED pop-up occur even if you had all notifications turned off?

Because god damn is that frustrating.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Microsoft is the same and this isn't ever going to change. Next gen games will only play on next gen storage by definition.

Series X has the new style storage available (and on sale lately) that you can store and play games from. Not sure what the hold up is with Sony, maybe they're waiting till they can sell their own and charge prices comparable to Vita storage?

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

Series X has the new style storage available (and on sale lately) that you can store and play games from. Not sure what the hold up is with Sony, maybe they're waiting till they can sell their own and charge prices comparable to Vita storage?

The SSD expansions for the PS5 won't be proprietary, so Sony won't be setting the prices. Apparently there isn't anything on the market that meets the minimum specs yet.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Actually you can install next gen games on SSD or external HDD, it just won't get enhanced loading times provided by the internal memory.

Edit- apparently I was wrong, the example I was using in my head was GTA5 which apparently doesn't even have a Next Gen update so disregard

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular

I don't need anything too fancy, but if Legacy of Kain got something along the lines of D2 resurrected in terms of GFX update would be a day 1 purchase for me.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Actually you can install next gen games on SSD or external HDD, it just won't get enhanced loading times provided by the internal memory.

Edit- apparently I was wrong, the example I was using in my head was GTA5 which apparently doesn't even have a Next Gen update so disregard

GTAO Series S/X / PS5 later this year supposedly.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    has Sony fixed the problem yet where plugging in an external drive causes the entire PS5 to destabilize and shut down in rest mode/delete stuff though?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    has Sony fixed the problem yet where plugging in an external drive causes the entire PS5 to destabilize and shut down in rest mode/delete stuff though?

I finally plugged in my external drive which houses most of the PS4 games that I keep around and so far I haven't had an issue with it. I can only speak from my experience though. I've played a bunch of the games from the drive and so far no issues.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I've had an external drive going for a while now and no issues so far. Rest mode works just fine.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I am having a thing where I get a 'Please Wait' screen when powering on. Just for a second on a full start, but maybe five if it's coming out of rest mode?
    One suggestion I saw was a factory reset, which I was a lot more reluctant to try when it meant redownloading everything. I'll give it a try once I've copied everything onto storage.

I've had a bunch of little things that have made me wonder if there's problems with multiple games or something with the console, to the point that I'd get a replacement to be safe if they could actually be found.
    Speaking of, has anyone else seen this happen to them on Hitman 3? :
    8lvoooh4pkn9.jpg
    yzy8g0xncjji.jpg
    It only flashes up for like a single frame, and video capture doesn't record it, so I had to record it on my phone. My totally uneducated opinion thinks it may be a GPU/overheating issue.
    Aretè wrote: »
    I don't need anything too fancy, but if Legacy of Kain got something along the lines of D2 resurrected in terms of GFX update would be a day 1 purchase for me.

Just get Simon Templeman and Michael Bell narrating something and occasionally talking to each other, I'll buy it.

klemming on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    By the way I haven't gotten that issue that some of us were collectively experiencing in weeks, just in case anyone is keeping track there.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Where this difference is split is where Microsoft have provided a (very expensive) next-gen external storage solution which runs next gen games at the same speed as the internal one, which is one more solution than zero

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I've had an external drive going for a while now and no issues so far. Rest mode works just fine.

lucky you; i've never had an external drive and rest mode still improperly powers off mine randomly if games are open :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Apparently hiding games in tied to your account. As soon as I updated my PS5, all the games I hid on PS4 were already taken care of. Just had to hide some additional games that didn't show on the PS4.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    By the way I haven't gotten that issue that some of us were collectively experiencing in weeks, just in case anyone is keeping track there.

I had it happen for the first time in a while yesterday. Controller turned on but the console didn't. I had to turn it on manually... And then when my wife turned on her controller it wouldn't go to the "select profile" window so she had to turn the controller off and on again. It's kind of amazing how many problems I've had with this console. My switch has probably done this once since I've owned it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    urahonky wrote: »

I had it happen for the first time in a while yesterday. Controller turned on but the console didn't. I had to turn it on manually... And then when my wife turned on her controller it wouldn't go to the "select profile" window so she had to turn the controller off and on again. It's kind of amazing how many problems I've had with this console. My switch has probably done this once since I've owned it.

Haha Jesus, literally right after I made that post it happened.

And yeah, I've had a bunch of issues but they've all been really minor things that haven't stopped me from doing what I want to do with it, at the worst I have to restart it.

BTW after the update my controllers d-pad and analog sticks wouldn't work for a sec, I had to reset yet again. For what it's worth I did not download the controller update with it.

Edit: I mean I know first adopters are basically beta testers for hardware but still, this is getting ridiculous.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.