As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    So I seem to be bouncing right off Doom Eternal. I only made it to cultist base and I’m just getting obliterated mercilessly. HP feels incredibly swingy, way more than I remember of 2016, even if I try to use the flamethrower & environment stuff.

Then looking at a Returnal article, someone said it makes Doom Eternal look like “baby’s first shooter.”

Oof. Feels bad man.

Ah crap. I got about 2/3rds of the way through the first game and then hit a 10-minute fight I just couldn't get past. I really, really liked the game up to that point but 10 minutes of frantic shooting with no checkpoints is just too much for me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So I seem to be bouncing right off Doom Eternal. I only made it to cultist base and I’m just getting obliterated mercilessly. HP feels incredibly swingy, way more than I remember of 2016, even if I try to use the flamethrower & environment stuff.

Then looking at a Returnal article, someone said it makes Doom Eternal look like “baby’s first shooter.”

Oof. Feels bad man.

Oh heaven's no. Doom Eternal was more annoying hard and Returnal was fun hard.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Oof. Feels bad man.

Doom Eternal is very hard. Harder than Doom 2016. Turn the difficulty down 1 notch, and you'll probably find it much better.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    urahonky wrote: »

Oof. Feels bad man.

Haha, I could see that.

To be fair, someone else said they thought it could be harder than 2016 but easier than eternal; based on the RNG of the run. Makes sense, and I’d seen that sentiment here as well. (RNG, not doom)

Also this was not intended as a Returnal write-off, more like lamenting that “show-hole” feel between games.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

Oof. Feels bad man.

Whereas I feel Doom Eternal is one of the best shooters of all time (except for the DLC), and was super hard in the fun way (except for the DLC) while Returnal is full of absolute bullshit and I hate it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

Oof. Feels bad man.

Doom Eternal will destroy you until something in your head clicks, then just like that you will be the one that they fear.

Don't give up, it's a great game. Not as good as 2016, but still very good.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Oof. Feels bad man.

Whereas I feel Doom Eternal is one of the best shooters of all time (except for the DLC), and was super hard in the fun way (except for the DLC) while Returnal is full of absolute bullshit and I hate it.

Nice.

• Options

Oof. Feels bad man.

Haha, I could see that.

To be fair, someone else said they thought it could be harder than 2016 but easier than eternal; based on the RNG of the run. Makes sense, and I’d seen that sentiment here as well. (RNG, not doom)

Also this was not intended as a Returnal write-off, more like lamenting that “show-hole” feel between games.

Yeah I can see that. Doom Eternal was fucking awesome all the way up until they introduced the mob that shall not be named. After that moment I have PTSD with the game.

2016 is the superior game but Eternal is a great follow up to it.

I think I enjoy Returnal more because once you get into the zone it just feels good overcome the difficulty. Probably would think Eternal is the best game ever if that one mob didn't exist or was tweaked slightly.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

Oof. Feels bad man.

Doom Eternal will destroy you until something in your head clicks, then just like that you will be the one that they fear.

Don't give up, it's a great game. It's better than 2016.

fixed it

But yeah, it's hard.
    You gotta keep all your abilities in your head. Always be flamethrowing, and remember you can use the chainsaw to remove annoying enemies from the field too instead of just getting ammo. Grenades are more useful than you think they would be. If you need a lot of armor, flame belch onto an enemy before you glory kill, you'll get a big chunk of armor.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Returnal is better than Doom Eternal entirely because Returnal doesn't have purple sludge.

Whoever thought up the "PURPLE MAKE GO SLOW" mechanic at id Software is an idiot moron jackass trying to sabotage a legit fun game. Also the swimming bits.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I really disliked balancing ammo in Eternal too, to the point I just stopped playing at some point.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Eternal is not all without some sticking points, I would honestly point to DOOM '16 as the superior game and experience. The ammo count isn't cut so stupidly low as to "punish" people for using the "wrong" guns, health is much less swingy, the story coming almost exclusively atmospherically is much better for flow, and it doesn't have a stupid enemy type that ruins the gameplay flow just so a lead dev could short-stroke over his idea to have a "Bruce Lee" enemy that fucks with your enjoyment of the game (and an even dumber enemy type than that if you do the DLC, which forces the player to use a stupid fucking weapon subtype simply because it was a crappy weapon nobody used).

I love Eternal a ton and play it on Nightmare, but as a start you'd have to cut the fuckawful Marauders and at least double the current ammo counts before I'd put it on an overall level with DOOM '16. Eternal is just too interested in punishing players for playing the previous game "wrong" and forcing them to play specific ways instead of the ways they find fun.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I like the PS5 upgrade of Final Fantasy VII Remake. The volumetric fog everywhere just makes the image look washed out in a lot of places where before the scenery was quite striking.

No way to turn it off?

No option that I can find. I suppose I can always boot up the PS4 version instead. Blah.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I need 1 more achievement to platinum Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and I just can't get it.

I need to get the Return Policy achievement and either the void reactor shield dies before I can get a shot off or I kill the enemy with the shockwave instead of the projectiles.

I wish there was a way to de-upgrade a weapon.

I might need to use the infinite ammo golden bolt to get this.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Eternal is finely tuned for flow and is best played in Nightmare which can be summed up as flow or die instantly.

Returnal feels more like flow or die eventually from what Ive seen.

Same idea but way less punishing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    marauders are good
    low ammo isn't a "punishment," using the same 2 guns the entire game is boring, it wants you to use your arsenal, with constantly respawning zombies and your chainsaw you have theoretically infinite ammo
    2016's story is atmospheric, except for all the unskippable cutscenes, including 2-5 minute in-engine cutscenes where someone talks at you and you can't move or do anything

Eternal is a harder, more divisive game, but it's better in so many ways. More interesting enemies, a wider variety of environments, better and longer levels, an arsenal where every gun is useful, way more interesting movement and abilities, etc.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I would not change anything about the most complained about parts of Eternal and do instead submit they make it better at what it is aiming to do and teach the player.

People who dont want to be taught those things bounce off but thats fine. It happens. We dont all like everything.

Except the goo but its super rare.

I havent played the dlc and cant comment.

Oh and Returnal has better bosses cos neither Doom game has bosses they have flaming piles of boring shit. Id cant boss fight to save their lives.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I dunno if i agree on returnal having better bosses; outside of
    phrike and hyperion
    they were mostly pretty forgetful and easy. Hell a couple of them I didn't even realize were end of biome bosses until they were dead.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Nemesis is awesome too! I loved the final boss Ophelia.

• Options
    I literally can't name a single boss in Doom Eternal off hand... And I played and beat it twice.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I hated every boss in both Doom games they suck at bosses and they should stop doing them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean that’s crazy. I love Returnal but not the combat.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I really disliked balancing ammo in Eternal too, to the point I just stopped playing at some point.

This is where I’m at. I keep thinking to myself I should pick it back up but then I remember I wasn’t enjoying it.

Which is a shame because I’m a huge Doom fan and loved 2016 and I was so hyped for Eternal.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Like... you're all talking about Doom Eternal in a PS5 thread... and no one has mentioned we're all getting a next gen upgrade for free on the 29th:

The Metal

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I mean that’s crazy. I love Returnal but not the combat.

This is the exact opposite of how I feel about Returnal's combat.
    I hated every boss in both Doom games they suck at bosses and they should stop doing them.

I can't name any returnal boss beyond Phrike, but I do remember that fighting each is like kind of a zen gameplay experience.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    marauders are good
    Objectively not. Marauders break multiple game rules with no reasonable justification why, and the devs themselves have admitted the Marauder AI is fucky because they're an enemy type that breaks the game rules but then also has to work with the game's combat "budget" (basically, Marauder AI works worse the more enemies there are because the Marauder can't "buy" the right attack for its range band at the right time). They objectively do not work properly with the other enemies and the gameplay suffers as a result, since every time they appear you're forced to single them out to even get their AI working right and thus force a situation where they aren't broken and you can rely on their attacks.
    low ammo isn't a "punishment," using the same 2 guns the entire game is boring, it wants you to use your arsenal, with constantly respawning zombies and your chainsaw you have theoretically infinite ammo
    Except sometimes I like wrecking face with lots of precisions railgun shots or play at being sprinting rocket artillery or lay waste with hundreds of minigun rounds; if I want to play the whole game with one gun because I think it's fun, nobody gets to say "that's boring". The devs expressly and directly stated that they didn't like how everybody used the rocket launcher in DOOM '16 (I didn't, but apparently some nebulous "too many" did), so they chopped the ammo counts down to almost nothing to prevent it. This deliberately and directly makes the game less fun for people who don't want to be forced to weapon swap endlessly and is exactly punishing the playerbase for not playing the prior game the way they were supposed to according to the devs.
    2016's story is atmospheric, except for all the unskippable cutscenes, including 2-5 minute in-engine cutscenes where someone talks at you and you can't move or do anything
    Which happens a small handful of times, as opposed to Eternal where every level has some amount of camera panning over maps and/or being stuck watching things happen. And in DOOM '16, those cutscenes concern a couple of characters actually significant to the story instead of dropping in a whole new pile of unknown randos on the player. The worst I can think of is having to listen to exposition in Samuel's office, and even that covers actually relevant things with characters you know already.
    Eternal is a harder, more divisive game, but it's better in so many ways. More interesting enemies, a wider variety of environments, better and longer levels, an arsenal where every gun is useful, way more interesting movement and abilities, etc.
    It is definitely more challenging and definitely cranks up the intensity, which I both like and think are great. But it's not divisive because it's merely different, it actively just does several things worse than the prior game. It's an even more ambitious game, but it also has a some glaring faults to go with those ambitions.

On the upside, there's also zero penalty at all for playing at easier settings or taking the offered player boost options in difficult areas. No one-size-fits-all here like Sekiro or something, the devs actively want basically anybody to enjoy the game.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I don't know what to think of this Final Fantasy Origins demo. I find the controls very clunky...not really how it moves, just the weird button combos to do anything. All of the controls just felt so weird to me compared to other games like that.
    My first thought was "it's trying too hard to be Dark Souls" but apparently it's made by the Nioh guys, so that makes sense. I've never played Nioh so I don't know how similar this feels. I started to get into it more as I unlocked classes but the boss fight really turned me off and overall the combat feels just a little too clunky. Granted, it's a demo and a lot could change.

I will watch it with curiosity and see how it develops.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Like... you're all talking about Doom Eternal in a PS5 thread... and no one has mentioned we're all getting a next gen upgrade for free on the 29th:

The Metal

True! I started very shortly before that announcement, so I’ve just been playing it anyway. It doesn’t seem like it’d be as noticeable as some other games. ( update bloodborne you cowards! )

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    I made it maybe an hour into Doom Eternal, and I was pretty hyped for it.

I, for one, would welcome a Doom with modern graphical whizzbangs that was more like Doom 3, a slower but punchier pace, with a real horror vibe. I want to blow the heads off zombies and be amazed at how it looks again. Id could bend their considerable powers to that goal, keep the cool exploration from 2016 and I'm a very happy camper.

The mad zaniness of Eternal is just numbing to me, and not in a zen-like way.

• Options
    When Doom Eternal comes up, the only thing more guaranteed than the debate between 2016 and Eternal is The Marauder Discourse™ in which no one ever convinces the other side

• Options
    Playing Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on NG+ on the hardest difficulty and I've run into a bug.

I got all the collectibles and did all the side quests in my first play through. Went back to Sargasso to do the side quest and after I collect it all and turn it in and finish the cut scene I can't move. I can't hold triangle to switch weapons, just nothing.

Loaded up an earlier auto save and tried again to see if maybe I had clicked something to cause it to happen and it happened again.

No idea what is causing it.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Playing Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on NG+ on the hardest difficulty and I've run into a bug.

I got all the collectibles and did all the side quests in my first play through. Went back to Sargasso to do the side quest and after I collect it all and turn it in and finish the cut scene I can't move. I can't hold triangle to switch weapons, just nothing.

Loaded up an earlier auto save and tried again to see if maybe I had clicked something to cause it to happen and it happened again.

Was this to turn in the pieces for the dragon quest?
    I had that same bug, I never found a way around it. I had already done the quest in the first playthrough so I didn't need the item. I was able to go to the load menu by hand and the game had a few recent saves from 10-ish minutes earlier. I was never able to successfully turn the quest in.

As much as I love R&C, I swear I run into ONE game breaking bug in every game. At least this one I could get around. In the last R&C for PS3, I ran into a bug that I was never able to get around and had to start over, then I hit it again so I gave up =p.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »

I had that same bug, I never found a way around it. I had already done the quest in the first playthrough so I didn't need the item. I was able to go to the load menu by hand and the game had a few recent saves from 10-ish minutes earlier. I was never able to successfully turn the quest in.

As much as I love R&C, I swear I run into ONE game breaking bug in every game. At least this one I could get around. In the last R&C for PS3, I ran into a bug that I was never able to get around and had to start over, then I hit it again so I gave up =p.

I've actually seen this reported a lot on Twitter so at least it's likely on their radar.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Anyone seen any PS+ discounts lately? Mine just expired.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »

It was, after finished the first part that unlocks the armor I went and got the rest of the items and turned it and got the bug.

I did reset, unfortunately mine was 20 minutes back. I'm hoping this is the only bug I run into.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    When Doom Eternal comes up, the only thing more guaranteed than the debate between 2016 and Eternal is The Marauder Discourse™ in which no one ever convinces the other side

Yeah I’m pro marauder and have spilled way too much metaphorical ink over it to really care any more

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Just keep moving and they can't hurt you. I don't really get it. Too much tunnel vision on killing them immediately, a mistake I made starting out too. Once I figured it out, this actively helped in every other combat in the game that didn't have marauders as well, so it's not like I was learning something "anti-Doom Eternal" or whatever. I learnt how to Doom Eternal harder.
    Chance wrote: »

I, for one, would welcome a Doom with modern graphical whizzbangs that was more like Doom 3, a slower but punchier pace, with a real horror vibe. I want to blow the heads off zombies and be amazed at how it looks again. Id could bend their considerable powers to that goal, keep the cool exploration from 2016 and I'm a very happy camper.

This is shocking to me, cos normally we agree on games we consider fun. You've suddenly gone alien on me. Feeling very Twilight Zone right now.

Morninglord on
  • Options

This is why I love Doom 64 so much. It's definitely a horror game first.

• Options

Yeah this is why I never even muttered the word when it was brought up. People can't help but try and say they loved or hated them and begin arguing about it.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

This is why I love Doom 64 so much. It's definitely a horror game first.

Now this is a take I can get behind.

Back on topic, Rift Apart is a bit buggy, yes? It crashed so hard yesterday that it took a database rebuild and two reboots before my PS5 was happy again.