As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Yeah, the list of PS5 games that have no PS4 version is very short. Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls remake, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Deathloop, and Destruction All-Stars.

Of those, I'd only say Rift Apart couldn't work on PS4 without some significant downgrades and other changes. Astro does some cool stuff with haptics and adaptive triggers, but everything else would have worked on PS4 with a graphical downgrade. So could all the other games.

And massively increased loading. The hypothetical PS4 version of Returnal would have some very long waits between rooms. CP2077 shows what happens if you design a game for fast loading then have to make it work with slow loading (leaving aside the fact that they started designing that knowing what they were getting into, but that's its own argument that doesn't belong here).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    wifi. I think I'm gonna do the "hook them to each other via lan" thing tomorrow instead.

I did play a bit of ghost of tsushima though and it's gorgeous

Absolutely don't bother with transferring from a PS4 to a PS5 over WiFi, it is agonizingly slow. Just connecting them with an ethernet wire directly makes things literally 60 times faster, or more.

steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    wifi. I think I'm gonna do the "hook them to each other via lan" thing tomorrow instead.

I did play a bit of ghost of tsushima though and it's gorgeous

Absolutely don't bother with transferring from a PS4 to a PS5 over WiFi, it is agonizingly slow. Just connecting them with an ethernet wire directly makes things literally 60 times faster, or more.

Yes that was the experience I had today.

Though now I'm having a headache trying to make my mesh pucks reach to the PS5 for a lan connection because having it on wifi seems just bad - like i'm getting like 30Mbps on a gig connection level bad

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    wifi is the work of satan
    jesus died to give us ethernet cables

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It is surprisingly easy to pop off the panels on a PS5.

Krathoon on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ok ya, I’m a couple loops in on Returnal, and both the movement and shooting feel great. You folks weren’t kidding.

Also, these lore bits and atmosphere are even cooler than expected.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Is returnal the only big "this is a PS5 experience" title out so far? Besides bugsnax, It's possible that it just happens to be I'm downloading 3 PS5 upgraded titles
    On top of Ratchet and Clank, I'd add Kena: Bridge of Spirits to this list. They do some things with the controller that are subtle, but make me smile inwardly every time I pull the bowstring. I can't imagine playing this on a PC and enjoying it nearly as much without the DualSense feedback.

26904.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Returnal is legit. When I switched from it to Mass Effect it took me WEEKS to get used to the clunky controls in comparison.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    wifi is the work of satan
    jesus died to give us ethernet cables

Yeah i feel like I've done everything I can on this end.... Unless do power line adapters work through power strips?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    The classic filter helps if you can get past some of the unnecessary and weird art changes. Although it is worth a playthrough default at least once just to see the game as it is.

Classic filter gives back a lot of atmosphere.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Playing all the ps3 uncharteds, digging the last crusade style opening of 3, very clearly hitting its narrative stride more here

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Returnal for GOTY. Game is sick, glad more people are getting into it.

What is up with the sphere room in Returnal? Just started playing.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Yeah, the list of PS5 games that have no PS4 version is very short. Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls remake, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Deathloop, and Destruction All-Stars.

Of those, I'd only say Rift Apart couldn't work on PS4 without some significant downgrades and other changes. Astro does some cool stuff with haptics and adaptive triggers, but everything else would have worked on PS4 with a graphical downgrade. So could all the other games.

The thing's been out for 11 months and there's only six generational-exclusive games. And even less on the Series.

Man, this gen is weird.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2021
    Playstation has always started off consoles without much games. PS4 had Knack.

Krathoon on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Nothing you need to worry about.

urahonky wrote: »

Nothing you need to worry about.

Until you get used to it and relax when you enter it and that's the time it spawns a bunch of I'm going to call them Groots until the day I die.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Not really -- usually somebody makes loads of exclusives by the 11-month mark, if not Sony. But this gen is weird.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The hilarious irony is that the PS5 is hands down the best PS4 out there. I don't personally give a hoot that I don't have that many native games.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I feel that this generation of consoles is a bit weird because the PS4 Pro could mostly do 4k already, and also that the difference between 1080p and 2160p (4k) isn't really as noticeable as the change from 480p to 1080p. In a lot of setups the viewer is far enough away from the screen that the average human eye won't be able to tell the difference, and the real benefits of the new console generation are load times (especially going from PS4 to PS5) and frame rates. Well that and the DualSense controller at least is really impressive (could stand to have better battery life), I'm not sure if the latest Xbox controller is any real improvement over the old.

steam_sig.png
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not really -- usually somebody makes loads of exclusives by the 11-month mark, if not Sony. But this gen is weird.

A - Covid
    B - Supply problems
    C - Fully built in backwards compatibility to the point that it barely registers if a game is PS4 or 5.
    D - More devs going multi-platform because there's not a clear winner to bet on (PS4 started ahead of the One after the disastrous E3 and higher launch price).

C is the main culprit here. How many PS4 exclusives (or just in general) in the first year were just dolled up PS3 games that only got released because it couldn't play PS3 games?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The PS3->PS4 switch was a bit different because they were so different under the hood. The the entirely different architectures doing some stuff cross gen was only really practical for the big mega studios.

Looking through metacritic you had a bunch of the yearly titles (Madden/EA/Assassin's Creed) stuff and then a bunch of Sony made things like Killzone. It was pretty light at launch though.

I'd really be looking at A for why this lack has gone on for so long.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The line between generations started to blur when we changed over from PS3/360 to PS4/XBO. Cross-gen releases were common during the transition. It only got bigger this go around due to, well, everything that's been happening. Then you got both systems doing full BC, and games getting patched and/or upgraded, now that line barely definable.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Logically I'd agree but looking at actual history, according to this article the first two years of PS4 were pretty weak. Not really sure what excuse Sony had at the time compared to all the weird things that happened this decade.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I feel that this generation of consoles is a bit weird because the PS4 Pro could mostly do 4k already, and also that the difference between 1080p and 2160p (4k) isn't really as noticeable as the change from 480p to 1080p. In a lot of setups the viewer is far enough away from the screen that the average human eye won't be able to tell the difference, and the real benefits of the new console generation are load times (especially going from PS4 to PS5) and frame rates. Well that and the DualSense controller at least is really impressive (could stand to have better battery life), I'm not sure if the latest Xbox controller is any real improvement over the old.

PS4 games scaling up resolution/framerate to PS5 is our current and I think temporary situation. Once devs leave this gen behind you're going to see more pressure towards the kind of fidelity demonstrated in the Unreal 5 demos. Nanite itself seems to lean into really being a 30 FPS technology on console CPUs. We can also see how Returnal is basically running at 1080p to keep itself up to 60 FPS. 4K/120 are buzzwords but the real, not so quantifiable leaps in visual quality, that could land us back closer to 1080p/30, are yet to come.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't really have any complaints about dualsense battery life coming off the ps4 controller

that thing felt like it lasted about an hour

I finally enabled the power on my usb ports in rest mode so my controller can charge.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The hilarious irony is that the PS5 is hands down the best PS4 out there. I don't personally give a hoot that I don't have that many native games.

I skipped the ps4 once it was clear the ps5 would have backwards compatibility, but I still can't find one, so at this point I'm totally fine with them not having too many ps5 games out. Drive down demand so I can get one!

sig.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I'm having a problem with a game I purchased.

I bought DMC5 Special Edition on psn, so it's digitally available. I bought the ps5 version.

The game is still installed, but has a locked icon, and wont let me boot up the game.

I looked up this issue and was given 4 different solutions.

1). If its a ps4 game, you need to insert the disc. This doesn't apply.
    2). If you purchased a game on a different user account, you need to enable sharing to play it. This does not apply. I purchased it on the account I'm logged in as.
    3). You need to restore user licenses. I did this. It's still locked.
    4). Parental controls. I do not have parental controls enbaled.

I cannot find any other solution or suggestion for why this is happening. Sony has just decided to lock a game I paid for, for no reason.

Anyone else had this happen, have any solutions that aren't the 4 above?

edit:

Ok I went in through the actual store to find the game, to see if it was saying I hadn't bought it or something, and it gave me a play game option. Which I clicked, and it worked. And now it works on the home screen.

So it's some kind of bug. Well now you all know what to do if you get this bug!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2021
    I think I had something similar happen, I think games that have been free or something maybe trip up their system and so you need to go onto the store to get the proper “link” or whatever, tho I don’t know if dmc5 has ever been free or on any of their services

Playing uncharted 3 and my god this one is so good, definitely where they figure out their footing. I love the greater emphasis on brawling and environmental stuff happening to take out bad guys. And they’ve just gone pure Indiana Jones and it works all the better for it. So many great sewuences. The light touch of little character development stuff is also great here, since 1 and 2 didn’t really have anything

Gonna save 4 until they release that remaster for the ps5

Prohass on
    edited October 2021
    It is kind of scary how these consoles can lock your games. It happened to me with xbox one.

Krathoon on
    Was the Uncharted Collection good. I assume they are upgraded.

edited October 2021

I’d never played them originally so I can’t compare. They played fine for me, the frame rates were all good, graphics were definitely the ps3 but clear and presentable, quick instant loading times after death. I played them all on easy cos I was just in it for the story. Really enjoyed 3 that was my favourite

Prohass on
    Prohass wrote: »

I’d never played them originally so I can’t compare. They played fine for me, the frame rates were all good, graphics were definitely the ps3 but clear and presentable, quick instant loading times after death. I played them all on easy cos I was just in it for the story. Really enjoyed 3 that was my favourite

I have the PS3 versions, but I might as well upgrade since the collection is so cheap.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have a PS5!!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have a PS5!!!!

Reminder, if you are transferring games over from a PS4, do not do it over WiFi. Either over regular LAN or with an ethernet cable connecting the two directly is literally 60 times faster or more.

steam_sig.png
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have a PS5!!!!

Play Astro's Playroom first.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

The graphics are upgraded except for cut scenes which are the same as they were on the PS3 (I heard this had something to do with fitting all three games on one disc). The controls on the first game are changed to make them consistent with the other two. They also added a new difficulty level ("Brutal") which no one should ever play.

cckerberos.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Finished Kena over the weekend and absolutely loved it, nearly done with all the collectibles now as well.

Boss fights continued to be pretty brutal so I'll probably never get the platinum since that needs a play through on the Master difficulty but I'm mostly hunting everything down because I just enjoy being in the world so much.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have Returnal, Ratchet and Clank and Death Loop.

It also immediately enslaved the PS4. Kinda creepy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.