As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hell, if we really want to show shades of future Vader, have Anakin find the clones in the middle of attacking the kids, cut down the clones, and frighten the children into fleeing.

Then there would've not only been the first time we see that Anakin doesn't always follow the Palpaplan, but provide an excellent basis for Vader having future potential recruits against Palpatine. That would've been some typical Vader, both deceiving Palpatine into increased vulnerability while giving himself a potential future resource.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Nah. Have Anakin “liberate” the kids from years of servitude and slavery by killing their teacher in front of them.

“It’s not his fault he can’t see your talent. Were you younger when you started training, Anakin, the Jedi surely would have gotten you too. Made you into one of their unfeeling drones, like Obi-Wan. He is just doing what he was groomed to do.”

That being said. An “in for a penny, in for a pound” scene could have worked as well. (Though not killing them is overall better because that makes it easier to set up the inquisitors, you know where they come from)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I've always thought Anakin's story should've played more as a tragedy - he takes the clones to the Jedi temple to detain and secure it while the situation is sorted out, Order 66 goes out but the Jedi strike first because they sense it coming. So from Anakin's perspective the whole thing turns into a Jedi precipitated massacre (and he winds up having to defend himself against Jedi). Have the kids get killed in the crossfire (or have him do something like a saber throw and cut a youngling in half by accident).

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The thing about the Prequels is that all this talk about Anakin being "The Chosen One" still works, from a certain point of view, when you take into account the events at the end of Return of the Jedi.

But... RoS completely throws that out the window, sets it on fire, and pisses on the ashes.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The Chosen One angle was a big flop, and is unneeded when all he had to be was a lackey who turned on Palpatine at the last minute. As Anikan he was an elite Jedi master amongst numerous Jedi masters, as good as he is (Obi-Wan) and superior (Mace Windu). Ahsoka should have been taking him down years ago. He truly comes into his own as Vader, and this also required most of his competition to be dead, dying or mysteriously absent. The only reason he's trumped up in the narrative is because the other Jedi had to die so Luke could be his sole rival.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    My point is, the prequels were messy but still maintained a veneer of internal consistency. And properties like the Clone Wars tooks ideas and concepts that were present but were not fully realized or clumsily handled, adding depth and nuance to characters and the setting without ignoring or trying to completely rewrite what was already written.

Rise of Skywalker makes references to other films in superficial ways, but it does not respect the source material it is pulling from. Not just ignoring development and themes in TLJ, but the OT and the PT as well. Hell, the way it treats the characters it doesn't even respect itself.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    My take on the younglings scene is that Anakin shouldn't have done it himself, because he couldn't, but should have stood aside and let the troopers do it. The only thing required for evil to triumph etc.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The immortal poet Elijah Wood said it best:

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I just find it surreal that there apparently was a "story group" but that none of these giant red flags were ever raised. It sounds like they were used more as a way to post hoc rationalize any writing decisions rather than point out major flaws in the writing when placed in the context of the pre-existing universe.

Like, most reasonable people agree that you can't make everything perfectly fit canonically. But holy fuck just randomly building a giant fleet out of nowhere raises so many giant red flags it reminds me of my ex.

It seems like the story group can say whatever it wants but the people making the movies and even more so the execs controlling the property don't have to listen to them at all.

The main feel from the story group members who I follow is that they had not a whole lot to do with tros. Matt Martin constantly talks about not having anything to do with it and helping with fallen order, pablo hidalgo wrote the visual guide and was salty throughout and then rates the movie as his least liked

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Nah. Have Anakin “liberate” the kids from years of servitude and slavery by killing their teacher in front of them.

“It’s not his fault he can’t see your talent. Were you younger when you started training, Anakin, the Jedi surely would have gotten you too. Made you into one of their unfeeling drones, like Obi-Wan. He is just doing what he was groomed to do.”

That being said. An “in for a penny, in for a pound” scene could have worked as well. (Though not killing them is overall better because that makes it easier to set up the inquisitors, you know where they come from)

Yeah, having the Inquisitors being the "liberated" younglings from the Jedi Temple would have been a really good way to explain where a bunch of Force sensitives doing black ops shit for Vader came from. It would also let them be young and inexperienced enough to make Ezra being able to take them on make more sense.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    This just in:

Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars is fantastic.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Chosen One angle was a big flop, and is unneeded when all he had to be was a lackey who turned on Palpatine at the last minute. As Anikan he was an elite Jedi master amongst numerous Jedi masters, as good as he is (Obi-Wan) and superior (Mace Windu). Ahsoka should have been taking him down years ago. He truly comes into his own as Vader, and this also required most of his competition to be dead, dying or mysteriously absent. The only reason he's trumped up in the narrative is because the other Jedi had to die so Luke could be his sole rival.

The whole chosen one prophecy literally just doesn't make any fucking sense when it's dropped on you out of nowhere in TPM and nothing in any of the movies or any of the shows I've seen changes that. It's this completely out of left field turd Ep1 drops on the table and no one ever bothers to explain why it happened, if they even bother to acknowledge it's existence. It's just baffling and unexplained and doesn't fit with the rest of the universe we see and adds nothing to the story. And it's just completely unneeded. Take it out and literally nothing about any of the movies changes at all. It's pointless.

It feels like Lucas was trying to live up to this mono-myth idea someone else told him he was doing so there has to be a prophecy and a chosen one because, like, that's the way this stuff goes I guess.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So, The Bad Batch.

It's more Clone Wars.

The End.

But seriously. It starts with
    The Clone Wars logo, which burns into The Bad Batch.

Spoilers for the 75 minute first episode.
    Crosshair was always the least interesting of the Batch, so making him the villain is probably a good call. I'm sure they'll pull an Agent Kallus at some point and have him do a face turn when he defeats his programming.

I was disappointed that they introduced Echo as the hacker, but Tech did all the hacking. Like, he could have gotten them out of the prison with his servo-arm. Echo's main job here was to ID Tarkin. Also wish AZI-3 and Echo had a chance to have a better scene together. I know that neither of them would know about the other's relationship to Fives (and AZI probably doesn't remember Fives at all), but it would have given me some feels. I hope that Echo's past with Domino Squad plays into this.

Nice Caleb Dume cameo, though it seems like a retcon that Bad Batch was involved with his escape. Saw Guererra, too. Are they going to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern all up in this mo-fo?

The Kaminoans are starting to see the writing on the wall and may work against the Emperor. Bold strategy, Cotton, etc.

I knew that Filoni would not make a mistake like calling out five defective clones when Echo started as a reg, so the Omega reveal was not surprising.

Omega is the new Ahsoka Tano annoying kid sidekick. I can't wait to see how Filoni subverts our expectations about her. My guess is that she represents the sum and total of the Kaminoan genetic science learned from the Bad Batch. Like, she clearly has Crosshair's shooting ability and probably Tech's scientific acumen, etc.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So, The Bad Batch.

It's more Clone Wars.

The End.

Crosshair was always the least interesting of the Batch, so making him the villain is probably a good call. I'm sure they'll pull an Agent Kallus at some point and have him do a face turn when he defeats his programming.

I was disappointed that they introduced Echo as the hacker, but Tech did all the hacking. Like, he could have gotten them out of the prison with his servo-arm. Echo's main job here was to ID Tarkin. Also wish AZI-3 and Echo had a chance to have a better scene together. I know that neither of them would know about the other's relationship to Fives (and AZI probably doesn't remember Fives at all), but it would have given me some feels. I hope that Echo's past with Domino Squad plays into this.

Nice Caleb Dume cameo, though it seems like a retcon that Bad Batch was involved with his escape. Saw Guererra, too. Are they going to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern all up in this mo-fo?

The Kaminoans are starting to see the writing on the wall and may work against the Emperor. Bold strategy, Cotton, etc.

I knew that Filoni would not make a mistake like calling out five defective clones when Echo started as a reg, so the Omega reveal was not surprising.

Omega is the new Ahsoka Tano annoying kid sidekick. I can't wait to see how Filoni subverts our expectations about her. My guess is that she represents the sum and total of the Kaminoan genetic science learned from the Bad Batch. Like, she clearly has Crosshair's shooting ability and probably Tech's scientific acumen, etc.

Omega
    I think the caminoans engineered a force sensitive clone. Explains her capabilities, knowing what's going on with crosshair, and it's a Star Wars show, there'll be some force powered person.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So, The Bad Batch.

It's more Clone Wars.

The End.

Omega
    I think the caminoans engineered a force sensitive clone. Explains her capabilities, knowing what's going on with crosshair, and it's a Star Wars show, there'll be some force powered person.
    My subverted expectation prediction is that Omega's "defect" is being a pure Jango clone without all the conditioning and genetic modifications that is female.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    So, The Bad Batch.

It's more Clone Wars.

The End.

Omega
    My subverted expectation prediction is that Omega's "defect" is being a pure Jango clone without all the conditioning and genetic modifications that is female.
    the hair colour though

• Options
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    All I know is that The Bad Batch has convinced me we need more New Zealand accents in popular media.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    My news feed has been flooded all day with this Disney makes a real lightsaber malarkey. Anybody know what's up with that?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Disney has unveiled/ said they have a working light up prototype* that has a retractable and extendable blade. There is a video.

*good enough for people to see actors have at the park but not for sale yet

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    I feel like I already know who they're (likely) going to cast as Omega in the live action version.
    925aoram72fo.jpg

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many people would get a job there just so they can steal one of those lightsabers.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I wonder how many people would get a job there just so they can steal one of those lightsabers.

There's been several and they all look like they didn't make their rubber quotas

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Hey, I recognize that kid Caleb!
    Welcome back, Kanan Jarrus.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hey, I recognize that kid Caleb!
    Welcome back, Kanan Jarrus.The-Bendu.jpg
    JEDI KNIGHT

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Utterly uninterested in the The Bad Batch. Oh look, here's a crew. Here's the stoic leader. Here's the dumb strong guy. Here's the smart guy. Oh look, here's another annoying kid character to shove in the crew. Oh look, a cutesy droid. Oh look, here are some character callbacks. The animation quality is up from the likes of Rebels, at least, but ultimately it's just another stale repetition of a repeat of a repeat of a concept they've done already, more than once.

I'm also entirely done with pre-OT material. I know the ST really took a big shit on the future of the franchise, but MOVE THE FUCK ON. Take us a hundred or five hundred or a thousand years past the OT or PT. I just don't give a damn about more material between Phantom Menace and A New Hope, I want this freaking franchise to move forward and stop cloning around already.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Utterly uninterested in the The Bad Batch. Oh look, here's a crew. Here's the stoic leader. Here's the dumb strong guy. Here's the smart guy. Oh look, here's another annoying kid character to shove in the crew.

Hey, they have names! Ricka, Crossheeya, Icko, Hunta, and, umm...Nerdlinger?

I think the moniker "bad batch" is the most unfortunate part of the concept. These guys come from the galaxy's largest and most successful sperm bank and the imagery is unpleasant.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Hey, they have names! Ricka, Crossheeya, Icko, Hunta, and, umm...Nerdlinger?

Your bra bomb better work Nerdlinger.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Bad Batch EP 1 was good, I liked it

probably means i should stay out of the bitch about star wars thread I guess

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Watched ESB with my wife and my guys for Star Wars day.

Yep, still holds up. Kids loved Hoth and the exogorth. They were intrigued by the fact that the good guys didn’t win. I think the Vader reveal was blunted by popular culture.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Utterly uninterested in the The Bad Batch. Oh look, here's a crew. Here's the stoic leader. Here's the dumb strong guy. Here's the smart guy. Oh look, here's another annoying kid character to shove in the crew. Oh look, a cutesy droid. Oh look, here are some character callbacks. The animation quality is up from the likes of Rebels, at least, but ultimately it's just another stale repetition of a repeat of a repeat of a concept they've done already, more than once.

I'm also entirely done with pre-OT material. I know the ST really took a big shit on the future of the franchise, but MOVE THE FUCK ON. Take us a hundred or five hundred or a thousand years past the OT or PT. I just don't give a damn about more material between Phantom Menace and A New Hope, I want this freaking franchise to move forward and stop cloning around already.

This will never happen and you know it.

Based on the example of KOTOR: even if they do move to a later period, for some reason everything will look a lot like what we've already seen. Because "that's Star Wars".

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Bad Batch EP 1 was good, I liked it

probably means i should stay out of the bitch about star wars thread I guess

• Options
    edited May 2021

Based on the example of KOTOR: even if they do move to a later period, for some reason everything will look a lot like what we've already seen. Because "that's Star Wars".

I'm actually pretty okay with the notion of a galaxy that is a mix of high-tech and low-tech stasis, there's still an infinity of things that can be done with that. KOTOR also showed that you can make things unique while still being recognizable, as well as giving us stories beyond every damn major event in the galaxy being related to the Skywalker family.

For instance, take things a thousand years forward. Where the Mandalorians are notorious as mercenaries warriors in KOTOR, have them swinging around to widely-respected force for order in the galaxy. Have the rebuilt and reformed Jedi order, cooperating with a variety of splinter Force disciplines but shunning being part of the government, leaving them a widely-spread but suspect group. Have grandiose shit like, say, Alderaan's billions of descendants are working with the galactic government to rebuild the entirety of Alderaan from its destroyed remnants as a symbol to an end of centuries of chaos following the fall of the Republic. If we can have superweapons that destroy worlds, we can have cooperation that rebuilds them too.

Instead, we keep getting shoved into the same increasingly-small spaces between other series that are between movies or other series. It won't be long before we're getting a three-season series about what Leia was doing between leaving Alderaan and getting the Death Star plans handed to her.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I'm actually pretty okay with the notion of a galaxy that is a mix of high-tech and low-tech stasis, there's still an infinity of things that can be done with that. KOTOR also showed that you can make things unique while still being recognizable, as well as giving us stories beyond every damn major event in the galaxy being related to the Skywalker family.

For instance, take things a thousand years forward. Where the Mandalorians are notorious as mercenaries warriors in KOTOR, have them swinging around to widely-respected force for order in the galaxy. Have the rebuilt and reformed Jedi order, cooperating with a variety of splinter Force disciplines but shunning being part of the government, leaving them a widely-spread but suspect group. Have grandiose shit like, say, Alderaan's billions of descendants are working with the galactic government to rebuild the entirety of Alderaan from its destroyed remnants as a symbol to an end of centuries of chaos following the fall of the Republic. If we can have superweapons that destroy worlds, we can have cooperation that rebuilds them too.

Instead, we keep getting shoved into the same increasingly-small spaces between other series that are between movies or other series. It won't be long before we're getting a three-season series about what Leia was doing between leaving Alderaan and getting the Death Star plans handed to her.

You joke but I would love a princess of alderaan adaptation

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

I'm kinda amused by the thought of calling these shows "stale," because they buck the formula every time.

Adventures of Cocky Space Guy and Annoying Kid Sidekick turned into a meditation on the true cost of war.

Space Aladdin and the Five Smugglers took a hard turn into the theme of personal sacrifice for the greater good.

If The Bad Batch started off obviously leaning into tropes, it's just to throw you off the fact that they are going to teach you something and don't want to tip their hand yet.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Disney+ needs to make a tv show about young Han Solo and
    his war with Darth Maul.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Are we talking about Anakin murdering the Yuenglings again?

(Tweeter is some rando, and it's just a silly picture)

Ketar on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disney+ needs to make a tv show about young Han Solo and
    his war with Darth Maul.

No. Please god no. That was the dumbest reveal in that dumb movie.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the greatest parody ever, because it's right there, clear as purple crayon!
    https://youtu.be/-BZk9MQa0YA

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Are we talking about Anakin murdering the Yuenglings again?

(Tweeter is some rando, and it's just a silly picture)

To continue the existing cycle:
    https://youtu.be/pZLxfWXRk3s

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.