As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Elven Accent [chat]

19394969899

Posts

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The absolute best wireless headset I've found for both Windows and PS4 is the Aventree DG59M bundle.

    They're technically Bluetooth headphones. However, they come with a pre-paired Bluetooth adapter (in a USB dongle form factor). Windows and PS4 just see them as a wired USB headset. You don't have to pair them with your Bluetooth or do anything like that. If you want to use them with a different device, you just move the USB dongle.

    4f0kkcerv7ri.png

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    cB557
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Screw PT’s, the ST was way better even though it was nowhere near as good as the OT

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

    First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

    Yeah, I was amazingly pissed when I had to buy a new headset for actual gaming voice comms because the QC35 sucked truck nutz.

    It works perfectly on PS4 — using a $20 adapter to plug it into the controller. Which doesn't work on PC because it carries both input and output.

    But that makes me think there must be a fix for PC.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

    First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

    Second, when I tried to use it with Windows store or game pass games, it straight up doesn't work even when the device is selected. Sometimes this is because the controller is plugged into the computer and DESPITE NOT SELECTING IT AS AN AUDIO INPUT it is blocking the audio input from my mic. Sometimes this is because the Bluetooth has sanctified my phone as the True Audio Source and won't work with the PC, and I can't just disconnect my phone from the Bluetooth because the only way to get the headphones to connect to the PC successfully is to use the Bose app on my phone using the Bluetooth connection. So I have to connect it from there and then turn off my fucking phone quickly.

    Audio devices are a nightmare. I have an audio interface for recording music, but I don't think that will solve any problems.
    Bluetooth (maybe Bluetooth 5.0 fixes this?) doesn't have enough bandwidth to support a decent microphone connection and good quality stereo sound at the same time. Bluetooth microphones, in general, are pretty shitty for voice. You are far better off using 2.4 GHz Wireless or something similar if you really need wireless headphones (especially with a mic). Bluetooth is fine for most other peripherals because it just doesn't require that much bandwidth to run a mouse or keyboard. The latency on Bluetooth audio also makes it less viable for gaming.

    TL;DR Your mistake was using a Bluetooth audio device for anything other than hands-free talking in a car.

    You could get an Antlion Modmic wireless. It gets around the whole "Bluetooth is shitty for microphones" aspect by having a custom chip and USB dongle to connect to your computer. Run the Bluetooth to your headphones as a stereo headphones device and use the Modmic for your microphone. But at that point, you might as well just buy a gaming wireless headset that uses 2.4 GHz anyway and get better sound quality.

    Hahnsoo1 on
    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    Evil Multifarious
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    cxn2zukco0np.png

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    VishNubMrMistercB557LoserForHireXRedTideElldrenDemonStaceyChanuswandering
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Yeah, most PCs don't have bluetooth chipsets or drivers that can understand how high quality headsets want to connect, so all the best ones are like that one Feral linked, with a custom USB dongle that abstracts out the wireless part and presents as two conventional audio devices. Which is convenient for several additional reasons too.

    And this is all despite the fact that these things usually work fine with mobile phones and tablets. I guess because both Apple and Microsoft combined have spend less than $5 on nuts-and-bolts PC operating system engineering in the last 8 years.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Feral
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Streaming has been nice because having a separate microphone from my headset has been a billion times better than any gaming headset I've used in the past. Blue Yeti + Sennheiser headphones with a dac and an amp is very nice.

    It is a huge pain to do stuff with my audio though. When waffles streams with me I have to switch off the amp/dac because they don't have a way to split the headphone, so we just do a normal stereo port on the computer, and then I have to go into windows and OBS and change all the audio settings.

    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

    First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

    Second, when I tried to use it with Windows store or game pass games, it straight up doesn't work even when the device is selected. Sometimes this is because the controller is plugged into the computer and DESPITE NOT SELECTING IT AS AN AUDIO INPUT it is blocking the audio input from my mic. Sometimes this is because the Bluetooth has sanctified my phone as the True Audio Source and won't work with the PC, and I can't just disconnect my phone from the Bluetooth because the only way to get the headphones to connect to the PC successfully is to use the Bose app on my phone using the Bluetooth connection. So I have to connect it from there and then turn off my fucking phone quickly.

    Audio devices are a nightmare. I have an audio interface for recording music, but I don't think that will solve any problems.
    Bluetooth (maybe Bluetooth 5.0 fixes this?) doesn't have enough bandwidth to support a decent microphone connection and good quality stereo sound at the same time. Bluetooth microphones, in general, are pretty shitty for voice. You are far better off using 2.4 GHz Wireless or something similar if you really need wireless headphones (especially with a mic). Bluetooth is fine for most other peripherals because it just doesn't require that much bandwidth to run a mouse or keyboard.

    TL;DR Your mistake was using a Bluetooth audio device for anything other than hands-free talking in a car.

    You could get an Antlion Modmic wireless. It gets around the whole "Bluetooth is shitty for microphones" aspect by having a custom chip and USB dongle to connect to your computer. Run the Bluetooth to your headphones as a stereo headphones device and use the Modmic for your microphone. But at that point, you might as well just buy a gaming wireless headset that uses 2.4 GHz anyway and get better sound quality.

    This was the conclusion I came to. I'm trying to figure out if there's a cable or adapter that fixes the issue on PC, since I sit right beside the thing. Wirelessness is great for all other uses.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Irish/Gaelic
    My RDR2 hot take is that it's a brilliant game that really pushes the boundaries of like what "role-playing" means in games. It wants to slow you down and enjoy the minutia of daily life of this character, as well as discovering all these little details of his personality. Like, the Yakuza series is well known for its mini-games, but those are largely something you run through to get an item or achievement or unlock, and then you don't do them again. Contrast that with RDR2 where I probably spent like 10 hours sitting in town playing dominos or cards just because I wanted to and it was relaxing and the game is all about just letting you soak in that atmosphere. Or just like the way it has some really big scripted sequences like some of the parties in camp - it doesn't tell you "HEY THIS IS A BIG SEQUENCE" it just... happens. You literally can't even see everything that happens, if you're singing songs by the campfire you're missing the couples argument over at the edges of the camp, and the game is fine with that, it wants you to just live in that moment organically. I really can't think of any other game that's even tried something like that, I thought it was fantastic.

    Because RDR2 came from a triple-A studio, people expected it to only do those sorts of big-budget but un-ambitious AAA game things (see: Assassins Creed), and instead we got this very like atmospheric, subtly emotional story and people were like "lol rdr2 pacing sucks."

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    MrMister
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

    First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

    Second, when I tried to use it with Windows store or game pass games, it straight up doesn't work even when the device is selected. Sometimes this is because the controller is plugged into the computer and DESPITE NOT SELECTING IT AS AN AUDIO INPUT it is blocking the audio input from my mic. Sometimes this is because the Bluetooth has sanctified my phone as the True Audio Source and won't work with the PC, and I can't just disconnect my phone from the Bluetooth because the only way to get the headphones to connect to the PC successfully is to use the Bose app on my phone using the Bluetooth connection. So I have to connect it from there and then turn off my fucking phone quickly.

    Audio devices are a nightmare. I have an audio interface for recording music, but I don't think that will solve any problems.
    Bluetooth (maybe Bluetooth 5.0 fixes this?) doesn't have enough bandwidth to support a decent microphone connection and good quality stereo sound at the same time. Bluetooth microphones, in general, are pretty shitty for voice. You are far better off using 2.4 GHz Wireless or something similar if you really need wireless headphones (especially with a mic). Bluetooth is fine for most other peripherals because it just doesn't require that much bandwidth to run a mouse or keyboard.

    TL;DR Your mistake was using a Bluetooth audio device for anything other than hands-free talking in a car.

    You could get an Antlion Modmic wireless. It gets around the whole "Bluetooth is shitty for microphones" aspect by having a custom chip and USB dongle to connect to your computer. Run the Bluetooth to your headphones as a stereo headphones device and use the Modmic for your microphone. But at that point, you might as well just buy a gaming wireless headset that uses 2.4 GHz anyway and get better sound quality.

    This was the conclusion I came to. I'm trying to figure out if there's a cable or adapter that fixes the issue on PC, since I sit right beside the thing. Wirelessness is great for all other uses.
    You can't just use a TRRS to 2-way TRS splitter cable for Mic + Phones?

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't really understand why the bandwidth issue affects PCs but not tablets and phones, but it is p frustrating

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Yeah I don't really understand why the bandwidth issue affects PCs but not tablets and phones, but it is p frustrating
    The dirty secret is that it does. People just don't tell you that your voice sounds like ass because all of the frequencies below 400 Hz and above 1000 Hz (It's not THAT restrictive, but it certainly sounds like it is) are cut off.

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    Feral
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    there are certainly chiropractors that don't believe in the woo shit and think it's practicing medicine but i dunno if that's better

    Is it so much to ask to find chiropractor with absolutely no self respect, who understands their entire profession is basically placebo, talk therapy, and advanced massage, who will debase themselves and tell me I am very smart while also doing complete nonsense to my body that I have requested and paid for?

    In that case, why not just go see a physical therapist?

    because physical therapists are like dripping olive oil in your ear and chiropractors are like those youtube videos where an ENT gets in there with a scope and some scrapey tools and goes to town

    Maybe you haven't had great PTs? The PTs I've worked with are pretty damn thorough and have the machinery to back it up.

    I think you misunderstand my complaint. The ENTs I am referring to are almost always in rural india and not following best practices at all.

    PTs do things that are safe and proven effective. This is not my desire. Press on my shoulder, grip my head, and do the unnecessary neck crack thing that kills a few people every year please.

    Oh. Yes I am very misunderstanding you.

    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Hmm


    Maybe I owe my kids an apology (concerning their headsets)

    I figured they were always playing with settings/mods n shit then crying to me when headset not working because windows was set for headphone or the monitor jack.

  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Screw PT’s, the ST was way better even though it was nowhere near as good as the OT

    How can you say this

    PT > all

    Neco
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Screw PT’s, the ST was way better even though it was nowhere near as good as the OT

    How can you say this

    PT > all

    Yeah, I mean, nobody's ever even heard of ST Barnum or OT Barnum.

    vRyue2p.png
    Feral
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    desc

    sig.gif
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    navgoose wrote: »
    Hmm


    Maybe I owe my kids an apology (concerning their headsets)

    I figured they were always playing with settings/mods n shit then crying to me when headset not working because windows was set for headphone or the monitor jack.

    Never apologize or show any weakness.

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    navgoose
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Screw PT’s, the ST was way better even though it was nowhere near as good as the OT

    How can you say this

    PT > all

    We'll never know for sure, you can't even play it anymore. Stupid Konami.

    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Neco
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Spotify please never again play me an 18 minute exposé on the downfall of the soft drink Tab

    Alazull
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't really understand why the bandwidth issue affects PCs but not tablets and phones, but it is p frustrating
    The dirty secret is that it does. People just don't tell you that your voice sounds like ass because all of the frequencies below 400 Hz and above 1000 Hz (It's not THAT restrictive, but it certainly sounds like it is) are cut off.

    I don't think this is the case, at least not when using a high bandwidth video chat app like Facetime. Air Pod Pro + Facetime on an iPad is allegedly using standard Bluetooth 5.0 for receiving and sending audio, and it does not sound like trash. It sounds like a clean 44 or 48 kHz signal with some reasonably good lossy compression, both up and down.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Hey @Rhesus Positive linkedin is really pushing a vacancy for an "HO Complex Tax and Evasion Investigator" at me

    Any inside scoop on what that would be like?

    It does warn that you need to be comfortable "working in ports and warehouses", weirdly

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Like, the mic in the Air Pods isn't superb or recording studio quality, but it doesn't sound like legacy bluetooth headset profile either.

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • DynagripDynagrip Destroy Everything You Touch HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ok, I think I can handle two classes a term next year so I signed up for an extra one. I think my productive slacking at work gives me plenty of time to work on assignments and whatnot so I should be able to do it fine. I figure it's better to be challenged than not.

  • SixSix Tech Sgt Chen Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The absolute best wireless headset I've found for both Windows and PS4 is the Aventree DG59M bundle.

    They're technically Bluetooth headphones. However, they come with a pre-paired Bluetooth adapter (in a USB dongle form factor). Windows and PS4 just see them as a wired USB headset. You don't have to pair them with your Bluetooth or do anything like that. If you want to use them with a different device, you just move the USB dongle.

    4f0kkcerv7ri.png

    I bought a nice wired headset for my ps4 and now I wish I’d bought this instead.

    steamcommunity.com/id/thenumbersix/
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1335-2661-4136
    Alazull
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • SixSix Tech Sgt Chen Registered User regular
    ST was not better than PT. Both are execrable in different ways.

    steamcommunity.com/id/thenumbersix/
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1335-2661-4136
    Commander ZoomJebusUD
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    leu2j3u4oe261.jpg

    cB557descNecoFeralMrMisterknitdanEchoCommander ZoomChanuscredeiki
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Like, the mic in the Air Pods isn't superb or recording studio quality, but it doesn't sound like legacy bluetooth headset profile either.
    It's stupidly proprietary and doesn't really apply in general with BT audio devices (you won't get the same quality with, say, a Jabra). Like, I have the Sony WM10102909120192 or whatever, and the audio quality is great, but they use proprietary codecs to achieve that.

    EDIT: I've also found that the Airpods Pro microphone still sounds like ass on older models of iPhone and older iPads. We recently did a virtual choir-style video and the audio on the person who was recording with an iPhone 7 and Airpods Pro was completely unusable, between the latency and the sound quality.

    Hahnsoo1 on
    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Japanese
    butts

    Tumin on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    leu2j3u4oe261.jpg

    They warned us about what gay marriage would lead to, but we didn't listen.

    vRyue2p.png
    Hahnsoo1Styrofoam SammichAuralynxNecoMrMisterDemonStaceyEchoCommander Zoom
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Shit i needed to go out and get some ingredients fir soup tonight, but this storm is just gross and shitty and not stopping till tomorrow, damn.

  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud friend pelican soft and relaxing mouthRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know why zoom doesn't work with bluetooth headphones?

    pelcan Mouth perfect size for put poster in to n\ap! inside poster sleep soundly put poster in Pelicn Mouth no problems because good Support for poster neck weak of big poster head
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Because Zoom is poop from a butt

    Hahnsoo1
  • SixSix Tech Sgt Chen Registered User regular
    Does anyone know why zoom doesn't work with bluetooth headphones?

    Works fine for me

    steamcommunity.com/id/thenumbersix/
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1335-2661-4136
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It does look like the solution is to use an adapter that turns them into a wired headset

    Now I just need to find out how to get this adapter. Bose only wants to sell the full "gaming headset"

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    there are certainly chiropractors that don't believe in the woo shit and think it's practicing medicine but i dunno if that's better

    Is it so much to ask to find chiropractor with absolutely no self respect, who understands their entire profession is basically placebo, talk therapy, and advanced massage, who will debase themselves and tell me I am very smart while also doing complete nonsense to my body that I have requested and paid for?

    In that case, why not just go see a physical therapist?

    because physical therapists are like dripping olive oil in your ear and chiropractors are like those youtube videos where an ENT gets in there with a scope and some scrapey tools and goes to town

    As someone who works with PTs all day:

    I know some who would really get in there and just clean house

    fuck gendered marketing
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Ok so this is why PC gaming is kind of annoying. I fired up Katana Zaero and for some reason the game seemed to be in slow motion. Whatever. I quit and tried Forza instead. Instead of the 110-130 FPS I was getting, now it’s 8 and the entire game is moving in slow mo.

    A reboot did nothing. Nothing has changed.

    Turns out the video setting were set to lock at 30. Changed it to variable and now everything is fine again.

    For some reason, this very basic shit has never, EVER worked consistently across games, Windows versions, and graphics drivers. It's a real mystery because it's not some niche special hardware feature that came out last year. Games rendering at a frame rate and delivering those frames to a display refreshing at a different rate has been the case since the beginning of time.

    And if the game messed up and configured to 30 FPS locked then that's on the game, but for the game to configure to 30FPS locked and then poop the bed and render at 8 FPS with game logic slowdown is just baffling, because you know they didn't ship the game behaving that way. And it probably worked previously without the game's code changing. The graphics drivers just change behavior randomly, with absolutely no consistency from release to release.

    There should be something like the Acid test for browsers, but for DirectX, OpenGL, Mantle, etc to ensure that a driver complies with how these APIs have defined various features to actually work. But in 30 years nobody seems to have done that.

    There is! But none of these APIs specify anything with regards to performance, merely correctness. And nobody gets OpenGL certification anyway because it's a pain

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    I've never cared for Bose headsets in general

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Screw PT’s, the ST was way better even though it was nowhere near as good as the OT

    Agree.

    Occupational Therapists are the top of the hierarchy followed by Speech Therapists.

    fuck gendered marketing
    Neco
This discussion has been closed.