As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grinch [chat]

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm looking for a new project and thought about making a game but I haven't coded in anger in 15 years. I do think putting a modern twist on the NES spy vs spy game as a little multiplayer thing would be fun.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Brain is full of Spiders, Garlic in your Soul
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Oh god over 2,700 unique accounts have played my game this year and logged over 19,000 sessions.

I started working on an update early this year and all but completely stopped after Covid hit.

I am a monster.

was it the audio game for alexa?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Cuddly as a Cactus, Charming as an Eel
    Oh god over 2,700 unique accounts have played my game this year and logged over 19,000 sessions.

I started working on an update early this year and all but completely stopped after Covid hit.

I am a monster.

Yeah.

I have the new content all mapped out, even, and a bunch of it done, I just haven't been able to get back into the head space needed.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I am a monster.

Yeah.

I have the new content all mapped out, even, and a bunch of it done, I just haven't been able to get back into the head space needed.

that's fair.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Your Heart Grew Three Sizes in one day, causing Cardiac Arrest
    Eddy wrote: »

Some context for that semi-viral tweet (well, at least in poetry twitter, which all of you are undoubtedly knuckle-deep in)

A surprisingly beautiful and poignant painting, given that it looks like it was drawn by someone with little training (although with the surrealists who knows what their intent was)

Huh, looking at their other works, they were quite inventive and interesting in their surrealism. Beginning to think this whole surrealism thing is actually pretty cool

60566459_971953536339999_3456758244402266112_n.jpg

https://www.remedios-varo.com/tienda/

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

I am a monster.

Yeah.

that's fair.

I have definitely and specifically let some folks down, I just don't really have that spark right now. I already spent most of this year at home programming, so then spending my free time doing so sounds horrible.

I need to be in a freaking coffee shop at least.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Crooked Jerky Jockey, Drive a Crooked Horse
    It will definitely either be a game about parrying or a game about carefully positioning generic men to successfully do murder and not be murdered

"Parrying" autocorrected to "partying" and tbh they're basically the same thing

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

I am a monster.

Yeah.

that's fair.

I have definitely and specifically let some folks down, I just don't really have that spark right now. I already spent most of this year at home programming, so then spending my free time doing so sounds horrible.

You haven't let me down and I believe in you.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options

I am a monster.

Yeah.

that's fair.

listen, there's nothing wrong with not feeling like programming game content in today's climate.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I am a Unity expert in shaders, component design, and animation. Moderate experience in scene management, physics, terrain, and UI.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I am a Unity expert in shaders, component design, and animation. Moderate experience in scene management, physics, terrain, and UI.

Hi DK. two questions

1. What's a shader?
    2. I want to simulate a deck of cards, what would be the sanest way to do that? I'm thinking of having each individual card by a object with a script that lets me set its value and suit individually. is that a good way of thinking about it?

• Options
    edited December 2020

Wow that leaves some space for me, the big ideas guy with no relevant skills, to take 50% of the credit as I pitch yet another battle royale

Eddy on
  • Options

I am a monster.

Yeah.

that's fair.

listen, there's nothing wrong with not feeling like programming game content in today's climate.

No worries that I'm stressing over it, but the sentiment is appreciated. I don't let the fact get to me, I'm just aware of it. I am very comfortable with my priorities of staying sane and emotionally healthy instead of providing a free service.

Ultimately, the game exists, and is intended as an example that more devoted folks can copy, and I've publicly said "please steal my ideas!", so my lack of follow-up isn't a barrier, just not accelerating as much as it could be.

In the mean time, I've been dabbling in other creative pursuits, which is very, very good for my mental health.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sarksus wrote: »
    hey hey hey hey hey.

I can't decide whether to learn more unity or try to make a decenter jingle for games makeing.

What's a decenter jingle?

a jingle that's more decent than the current one i have for my splash.

oh, I read it as de-center

Sarksus on
  • Options
    hey hey hey hey hey.

I can't decide whether to learn more unity or try to make a decenter jingle for games makeing.

oh, I read it as re-center

apologise. English is my second tongue only.

• Options
    hey hey hey hey hey.

oh, I read it as re-center

apologise. English is my second tongue only.

no it would have made sense verbally

we abuse words in this manner all the time

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    more goodest

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Wow that leaves some space for me, the big ideas guy with no relevant skills, to take 50% of the credit as I pitch yet another battle royale

this so easy

a battle royale but it's just simultaneous-resolution Worms

a battle royale but it's Burnout

• Options
    also good... morning? I guess?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    more goodest

what's goodest? Like destiny goo?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    In sartorial news I wore bean boots for the first time in my life today (I've never owned rainboots! Forgive me [for either sin]) and I immediately pondered buying a second home in Maine (the Cape is so played out amongst our crowd, wouldn't you agree my loveless dear?)

shoes-legs-dogs_s.jpg?itok=i60EZs_D

(They are about as basic as this photo suggests if you're unfamiliar with them)

Eddy on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It will definitely either be a game about parrying or a game about carefully positioning generic men to successfully do murder and not be murdered

Oh hey, my game's gonna be both of those at the same time.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Do this but with a more significant vertical component than you usually see (in the air/water) and attacks that you can only do from above/below etc

I want to play a strategy game that does more with a 3d grid!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    more goodest

what's goodest? Like destiny goo?

what's most goodest in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I don't know but it will definitely be half-finished and neurotically unplayable

I think you’re just going to make that gruesome looking game Scorn

• Options
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I beat that hit new game Phantasy Star so I’m basically the most badass person here

You may now touch my golden arm

• Options
    edited December 2020
    In sartorial news I wore bean boots for the first time in my life today (I've never owned rainboots! Forgive me [for either sin]) and I immediately pondered buying a second home in Maine (the Cape is so played out amongst our crowd, wouldn't you agree my loveless dear?)

shoes-legs-dogs_s.jpg?itok=i60EZs_D

(They are about as basic as this photo suggests if you're unfamiliar with them)

are rainboots some specific type of boot I don't know about or is your life just that alien to mine?

edit: you added the picture after I read it but before I hit quote and this is an odd kind of boot to me

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Yes, it's in the game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I'm talking about any old kind of rainboot, like those classic yellow kids boots all the way up the ultra preppy Hunter rain boots

Just... never really bothered. It took me a while to break away from weather-treated oxfords at all into sneakers!

Eddy on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You should lace those up tight otherwise you are going to trip

Or did you just leave them loose for the selfie like some instagram thot

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    You should lace those up tight otherwise you are going to trip

Or did you just leave them loose for the selfie like some instagram thot

I laced them up p tight, although yes I admit I did strongly consider leaving them untied for the culture

• Options
    I'm talking about any old kind of rainboot, like those classic yellow kids boots all the way up the ultra preppy Hunter rain boots

Just... never really bothered

okay so we are talking like rubber boots, wellies, etc,

huh

I mean I don't use any of mine but like still there's been a lot in my life

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I want the next [chat] poll to be determining how many people voted for garlic/spiders because of Gunnerkrigg Court brain spiders, and how many people voted for it because they like garlic.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I dunno if I’m ready for Phantasy Star 2 yet though, but we will see

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

Do this but with a more significant vertical component than you usually see (in the air/water) and attacks that you can only do from above/below etc

So, e.g., every map is a dense network of bridges, tunnels, platforms, ramps, ladders, chutes, etc. and characters have a lot of mobility and forced movement? Maybe it's even like, the only way to eliminate an enemy is to knock them off

They're all immortal and trying to get to the top of a vast tower, and when you knock them off they fall X levels and have to climb back up. There's no way to inflict actual damage, just stun people enough to push them around

Your party is working together but as you get closer to the top they may betray each other because there can only be one, etc

Villains you've defeated may be able to take shortcuts and get back to you for revenge, especially if you get knocked back down yourself

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I want the next [chat] poll to be determining how many people voted for garlic/spiders because of Gunnerkrigg Court brain spiders, and how many people voted for it because they like garlic.

Huh I just checked the poll out and these are lyrics from Grinch?! These are wonderfully evocative

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you want good quality winter boots that don’t say LL Bean on them I recommend Sorel

I’ve worn them for years.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »

Huh I just checked the poll out and these are lyrics from Grinch?! These are wonderfully evocative
    Have you never watched or read How the Grinch Stole Christmas? It's real good.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    [
    credeiki wrote: »

So, e.g., every map is a dense network of bridges, tunnels, platforms, ramps, ladders, chutes, etc. and characters have a lot of mobility and forced movement? Maybe it's even like, the only way to eliminate an enemy is to knock them off

They're all immortal and trying to get to the top of a vast tower, and when you knock them off they fall X levels and have to climb back up. There's no way to inflict actual damage, just stun people enough to push them around

Your party is working together but as you get closer to the top they may betray each other because there can only be one, etc

Villains you've defeated may be able to take shortcuts and get back to you for revenge, especially if you get knocked back down yourself
    Snakes/Chutes and Ladders, the Tactical RPG?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.