As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How fast can you get in shape?

mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Just curious. I am a fatty, about 245 pounds, and 5'10". I am trying to get signed on as a volunteer deputy for the local sheriff's office, but the physical test is a problem. I have about 3 months to go from being a fatty who can walk forever, but can only run for about 60 seconds before death, to being able to do a 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes.

Plus I need to be able to do 21 push-ups (I can do....maybe five), and 30 situps.

I know that time is not fast, but it sure is for me. Can I train enough to get there in three months, or should I just aim for next year?

mellestad on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    3 months is a really short amount of time for that. If you tried something like the Velocity Diet, maybe. Do you work out at all now?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you trying to get slim in that time or just meet the physical requirments? If it is the latter, then yes, you could reach those goals by that time.

It won't be easy though. I would recommend getting a trainer, if only for that 3 months. You are going to need to push yourself. It will be hard and it will be easy to tell yourself that you will do it next year.

A trainer will push you, keep you motivated, and it is harder to skip your workout if you have an obligation/money in it.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos: Not lifting, but I walk and ride a bike three or four times a week.

MiserableMirth: I don't really care if I slim down that much. I have been shedding a pound or two a week for the last few months though; I have lost over thirty pounds in 2007. A trainer is a great idea...I even know a couple, since I used to work in a gym. (I wasn't always such a slug)

And I should point out when I say run for 60 seconds I mean sprinting. I can jog 60 seconds/walk 2 minutes for half an hour if I don't mind that nauseous feeling. Of course, last time I tried that I was 20 pounds heavier, so maybe I should try again.

mellestad on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mellestad wrote: »
    Thanatos: Not lifting, but I walk and ride a bike three or four times a week.

MiserableMirth: I don't really care if I slim down that much. I have been shedding a pound or two a week for the last few months though; I have lost over thirty pounds in 2007. A trainer is a great idea...I even know a couple, since I used to work in a gym. (I wasn't always such a slug)

And I should point out when I say run for 60 seconds I mean sprinting. I can jog 60 seconds/walk 2 minutes for half an hour if I don't mind that nauseous feeling. Of course, last time I tried that I was 20 pounds heavier, so maybe I should try again.
    If you have access to a trainer, yeah, you've got a decent shot at it. It will not be easy, though it'll be considerably easier than if you hadn't been walking/biking all this time.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the quick advice. Until I get a trainer lined up, any tips? Or just:

Do as many push-ups as I can, then do some more.
    Do as many sit-ups as I can, then do some more.
    Move as fast as I can, as far as I can, then push harder.

mellestad on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the quick advice. Until I get a trainer lined up, any tips? Or just:

Do as many push-ups as I can, then do some more.
    Do as many sit-ups as I can, then do some more.
    Move as fast as I can, as far as I can, then push harder.
    Well, you should probably do the jog/walk thing. Honestly, I wouldn't run if I weighed 245 pounds (well, I weigh more than that now, and I don't run, but the point applies); it'd be really hard on your ankles/knees, at least until you drop some more weight.

You might want to try something like the Velocity Diet for your first month (it's easy to Google), so you cut a bunch of weight, then start training hardcore after.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How about low-impact cardio? Ellipticals, swimming, etc?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you run, try to run slow and get to the distance before you worry about time. Running faster than your body is adapted to is a sure way to get injured. They want you to run a 9:20 mile or so, which isn't a sprint, but it is pretty fast for someone who isn't a runner.

The challenge is going to be adapting your body for that speed without getting an injury that will prevent you from taking the test. Fix your diet now, the lighter you are the easier/safer running will be for you. I run a lot, and if I put on 5 or 10 pounds I really feel it. You may also want to try to get access to a good treadmill. They can be easier on your body, and you can measure your speed and progress easily. I've been recovering from a shin splint in my left leg and coming inside has been really helpful. It's not as much shock, and I tend to run much faster if I don't have the belt forcing me to slow down.

Get as many miles in before the test as you can without injuring yourself. Slow and steady, walk-run-walk if you have to. Good luck with it.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It is possible to get in shape in just 12 weeks, but it takes an astronomical amount of work. We're talking a complete overhaul; everything from how you eat to your workout routine. You don't need to spend hours at the gym, it's just how you use the time available that matters.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Edit keeps timing out on me...

As for the situps/pushups:

Just do as many as you can. Do some when you get up in the morning, do some in the afternoon, whenever you have time and aren't worn out from already doing them. Also if you can only do 5 push ups do that, but then rest for 30 seconds to a minute and try again. You may only be able to do 4 or 3 but it's really gonna help you build up the strength. Do that 4 or 5 times if you can.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the replies!

Since I am on a time limit, would be efforts be best spent working as hard as I can every day, or do I need lighter days for recovery?

mellestad on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You need some lighter days and plenty of rest. Alternate your routine. Some days do high energy work out, some days do less intensive stuff. You need to give your muscles time to heal and time to build. And besides, pushing yourself too much might do permanent damage.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To build up your upper body, you might try doing a pull up pyramid. Do a pull up, then stop, and do 5 push ups. Then add another pull up, and do another 5 push ups. Start out small, and work up until you get to about 2 minus your pull up max, and then work your way back down to 1. Space this activity out across a good 30 min to an hour, depending on your pyramid size.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    beatbeat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    those requirements arent too hard, just every night before bed start doing 200 sit ups and 200 push ups work your way up from there, and also make sure you run, if you start lifting and you dont run it wont do jack shit, a workout is NOTHING without good cardio to back it up

beat on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ok, sounds good. I figure I can run (I know, my knees....but one of the reasons I can push hard is I love that strain when you sprint. I always put on "I alone" by Live, and when it gets to the chorus I just want to give it all I have...which is odd, because I am not religious at all. Oh well.) on odd days, and just do that TV workout crap on even days, and try to work on my pushups and situps whenever.

I like the pyrimid thing, but I can't do a pull-up.

mellestad on
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The best way to get good at running is by running.
    The best way to get good at doing pushups is by doing pushups.
    The best way to get good at situps is by doing situps.

If you're goal for this 3 month period is just to be able to pass this test then you should really only concentrate on those three things. It is not going to make you the most fit person in the world, but you can always focus on that later.

I read that you are sprinting for 60 seconds, this isn't really what you want to do because although a mile and a half is a short race for serious runners it is not for you or for most of the population. It is not a sprint for anyone. You have to be able to jog at a nice pace for the entire time and then from there work on speed. However, I think you'll find that a jog at 5.5 mph or so will get you there.

I was in a similar boat to you a few years back with the run situation and bootcamp. I found a run program on runnersworld.com and it worked for me. I found a similar plan on their now, but its changed a little since I did it.

Originally it was 8 weeks long and went like this. 5 minutes walking before and after for warmup/cooldown.

Week 1: M/W/F- Jog 1 min walk 2 min x7. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 2: M/W/F- Jog 1 min walk 1 min x10. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 3: M/W/F- Jog 2 min walk 1 min x7. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 4: M/W/F- Jog 3 min walk 1 min x5. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 5: M/W/F- Jog 4 min walk 1 min x4. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 6: M/W/F- Jog 6 min walk 1 min x3. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 7: M/W/F- Jog 8 min walk 1 min x2. T/TH 30 minute walk
    Week 8: M/W/F - Run 20 minutes T/TH 30 minute walk

I stuck with that and sometimes I felt like my face was on fire by time I quit, usually on every monday. Then on wednesday it seemed easier and by friday I was ready for the next increment. As the weeks go by you'll feel like its taking forever to get to the next walk time, but just remind yourself you don't have to do as many sets anymore. I still do this occassionally to increase my pace. I just run faster for the jog time and run at my old pace for the walk time.

ALSO DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It will help your run immensely. If you know you're going to be running the next morning then your pee should be pretty clear before you go to bed and then a little bit before you go out. If you're going to be running in the afternoon it should be clear before you start. Don't just down water right before you run though it will make you feel sick and also I've heard something about a nutrient dump.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks Atlas, I will give that a shot, and let you know how it goes!

mellestad on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's doable in 3 months, but, it won't be fun at all, and you might get burned out, because you're going to need to work very hard. Something like Altlat's workout will be good, but you're going to have to really focus on diet these 3 months. Low calories, track everything you eat, no cheat meals. A trainer would help a lot if you had access to one, but they can be expensive.

JeffH on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Couch-to-5K Running Plan:

Our beginner's running schedule has helped thousands of new runners get off the couch and onto the roads, running 3 miles in just two months.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    RonnieDobbsRonnieDobbs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Second Couch-to-5k. I've used it, it works great. There's a podcast available through itunes (for free) that sets the Couch to 5k plan to music with a guy telling you when to star/stop your intervals. It's nice because you can forget your watch and just concentrate on form.

RonnieDobbs on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm in the middle of the Couch-to-5K plan (week 5) and I will also give it praise. Mondays hurt, Wednesdays are not bad, and Fridays I look forward to the increment.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hmm. Everyone keeps telling me if I run my knees will explode. Would that couch to 5k thing work on an elliptical, or is that just a waste of time if my goal is to run?

Also, how much do I need to get rid of before i am light enough to run without damaging things?

mellestad on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm. Everyone keeps telling me if I run my knees will explode. Would that couch to 5k thing work on an elliptical, or is that just a waste of time if my goal is to run?

Also, how much do I need to get rid of before i am light enough to run without damaging things?

Needs to be said - perhaps you simply aren't ready for this level of physical activity. Can you get a deferment?

Barring that, your questions: You certainly could damage your knees. An elliptical isn't the same as running. you have a *specific* goal and a limited timeframe. you need to train as close as possible to that goal - that means running. How much to lose before running? ideally, all of it.

If I were in your spot, i'd go RIGHT DAMN NOW to a sports medicine doctor and get a full once over. tell him your goals, print your plan and ask him to evaluate it and your ability to accomplish it.

Sports doc >>> your doc >>> some dude on the internet.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You are in kind of a tough spot. You can't effectively train for a running test without running. Building up your running speed has to be done slowly to avoid injury, and you're on a deadline. Doing an eliptical is great for overall fitness, but you won't turn into a good runner by using one.

I have a friend that is an avid bicyclist. He rides his bike to and from work everyday, does "centuries" (100 mile rides) on the weekends, and would be considered a fit individual. He certainly has a lot of leg strength and endurance. A couple of months ago he told me he was going to run a marathon with a friend. I asked him what the longest distance he'd run so far was and he said he hadn't started running yet, but he wasn't going for time and he thought he would be okay. I told him that he was not going to make it, and that he was probably going to injure himself in the process. He didn't believe me, so I told him to go run around the park (3 miles) and see how it felt. A couple weeks later he told me that he tried to do the park and had to give up after about a mile.

Talk to your doc, do the couch to 5k and see how it goes. Honestly though, if I was you I wouldn't want to barely pass the test. If you have to give 110% on the test day to come in at 13:59 how well are you going to do in subsequent training? Or the actual job itself? Do your best, take the test in 3 months, but don't beat yourself up if you don't make it. Keep training, and next year you can run the 1.5 in 12 minutes and be ready to run another 10 miles right after.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Its always a good idea to talk to a Doctor first. Running is bad on your knees no matter your weight. You can run on a tread, track, or trail to help make it easier. A treadmill will hurt your shins the first few times, but they can adapt pretty quickly.

Do yourself a favor and talk to a Doctor and after he tells you to go for it; go for it.

That other program looks good to me as well.

altlat55 on