Options

The Twelve Days of [chat]mas

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Can you be depressed if you aren't sad?

yes

oh god yes

Maybe that is my permanent state then. Ennui.

In all seriousness, how I experience depression is a combination of anhedonia (lack of taking pleasure in things), low motivation, and pessimism.

It's looking at something that I think I should enjoy - whether it's a meal or an activity or a specific person's company - and thinking that the effort to actually attain it is just too much work, and besides it won't be rewarding anyway.

Oh

Oh

so that's

hmm

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Whoa, perspective on that reindeer tweet made me thing it was like dog sized and had murdered a bunch of mice or something for a minute.
    I mean, in the poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, they are described as 8 tiny reindeer. There's no indication that Rudolph, the reindeer that was added after a roster change due to his mutant power, was the same size.
    The reason Rudolph wasn't allowed to join in any reindeer games was because of his massive size. Could you imagine playing a pickup court ball game against Shaq? It would be such an unfair advantage.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I think I feel permanent low motivation, but not anhedonia. I still enjoy things.

Pretty fucked up that one part of your brain can go "Hey we should do something, It'll be fun" and you know it'll be fun and then another part can go "Nah" without any real justification so you don't do anything.

I think someone screwed up the wiring in this thing and I demand to speak to the manager.

Maybe an anti-depressant would help?

I hesitate to take drugs because of sode effects and I don't want to unbalance the good parts I have but also I drink 6 cups of coffee a day to feel motivated enough to do things so what do I know.

Maybe I'm one of those people that would be good to have on Adderall.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

this achewood has stayed with me for over a decade and finally it is relevant

comic.php?date=10132004

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

yes

oh god yes

In all seriousness, how I experience depression is a combination of anhedonia (lack of taking pleasure in things), low motivation, and pessimism.

It's looking at something that I think I should enjoy - whether it's a meal or an activity or a specific person's company - and thinking that the effort to actually attain it is just too much work, and besides it won't be rewarding anyway.

Oh

Oh

so that's

hmm

Intensely relatable, to me.

Depression can be a real fucker!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/12/02/science.abd6951
    https://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=fb243ace-c9d5-437f-910f-d7287d697ee9

A story about chemistry, fish, AND conservation? Be still my heart.

To summarize, there's a phenomenon that's been observed where coho salmon, which spawn in in urban creeks in the PNW, die in large numbers following storm runoff. The cause was, heretofore, unclear. The study linked above traces the toxicity to a specific oxidation product derived from a tire additive that's common to all/many/most commercial tires. That in itself suggests an immediate remedy (stop using that compound), though I don't see how it could be implemented quickly.

But my larger question is: is this specific to Coho, or a more general process that we just haven't quantified before?

Maybe @navgoose for salmon

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Querry's mom got me the D&D cookbook for my birthday, which I wouldn't have expected to like, but it's neat to have a diverse set of older-seeming professional chef food. Anyway I'm definitely going to plan a hobbit-style lord of the rings marathon using it.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the more and more people describe depression the more and more i realize that i was not really truly depressed i was just struggling with my adhd and executive functioning, and depression was secondary / resultant
    (anxiety was there also, but also likely tied in too / comorbid)

(lmao which makes me more pissed about the decisions i made re:medication and mental health)

poo
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This Alien Planets show on Netflix makes me really want to get out there and harvest resources in front of some fucking plant-humanoid’s face

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

yes

oh god yes

Oh

Oh

so that's

hmm

definitely this for me

no sadness or thoughts of self-harm

just complete lack of motivation or capacity for joy

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Querry's mom got me the D&D cookbook for my birthday, which I wouldn't have expected to like, but it's neat to have a diverse set of older-seeming professional chef food. Anyway I'm definitely going to plan a hobbit-style lord of the rings marathon using it.

This.....is a real thing?

What the

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tenser's Floating Pancakes

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nova_C wrote: »

What the

There are like, kitschy cookbooks for everything imaginable. Harry Potter has one, for example. But this one is actually pretty fat and has sixty recipes and they seem cool, so I'm pleased, even if the thought process was "Shiv likes cooking, and D&D, and I saw this, so... jackpot!"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What the

There are like, kitschy cookbooks for everything imaginable. Harry Potter has one, for example. But this one is actually pretty fat and has sixty recipes and they seem cool, so I'm pleased, even if the thought process was "Shiv likes cooking, and D&D, and I saw this, so... jackpot!"

That is literally what the books are for.

• Options
    Melf's Acai Arrow

Cure Light Ham

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Okay, just read a bit about it, apparently it's a solid cookbook?

I kinda need it now.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Tenser's Floating Pancakes
    Magic Mussel
    Leomund's Pizza Hut

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Twinkie and Icingdeath

• Options
    Mordenkainen's Faithful Pound Cake

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I think I feel permanent low motivation, but not anhedonia. I still enjoy things.

Pretty fucked up that one part of your brain can go "Hey we should do something, It'll be fun" and you know it'll be fun and then another part can go "Nah" without any real justification so you don't do anything.

I think someone screwed up the wiring in this thing and I demand to speak to the manager.

Maybe an anti-depressant would help?

I hesitate to take drugs because of sode effects and I don't want to unbalance the good parts I have but also I drink 6 cups of coffee a day to feel motivated enough to do things so what do I know.

Maybe I'm one of those people that would be good to have on Adderall.

I'm on a dosage of Fluoxetine (40mg) that's just above the one they use to see if you can actually take it (20mg), and it helps out quite a bit. The only side effect I've experienced is anorgasmia, which is not great...but I consider it a fair trade for no more visits to the darker places in my head.

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    tumblr_pypwk1Ty6e1x7v57vo1_500.jpg

I'm feeling that genius/anxiety so much it hurts.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

this achewood has stayed with me for over a decade and finally it is relevant

comic.php?date=10132004

A summer sausage and a block of cheddar, which my friend and I sliced pieces off with a pocket knife.

And a bag of butter mints for dessert.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Constipated?

Try Expeditious Retreat

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    USPS is toying with my heart. Had some Lego on the way since November 24th. It finally made its way to the NH distribution center yesterday! Figured it would be here today!

This morning it's back in GA. What the fuck. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I suspect my upper back cracking ability has to do with having simian-proportioned arms. Would you take this ability if it also meant that not one single off-the-rack buttondown ever fit you and you blew out the elbows of every dress shirt you've ever bought?
    "Donkey Kong"'s true identity revealed

https://youtu.be/RcP91tQ4ZSM?t=1m20s

• Options
    Okay, just read a bit about it, apparently it's a solid cookbook?

I kinda need it now.

Yeah, I expected it to be kind of whatever, but just thumbing through it, it's actually got fairly complex recipes with a lot of stuff. It doesn't seem super cash-grabby, it seems like they tried to take sixty recipes and try to fit them into the D&D universe.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Someone is playing a prank on their kid and hired us to make 25 life size cutouts of him

My sister rickrolled a guy in high school by leaving a cardboard cutout of Rick astley on his doorstep and ringing the doorbell and driving away

It was a really solid prank

at one of the regional Burning Man spinoffs, somebody wired an old MP3 player and speaker to a lead acid battery (like you'd find in a computer UPS), duct-taped the whole thing together, and taped it to the internal pipe in one of the porta-potties

looping, of course, Rick Astley

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Personally, I have never experienced discomfort

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    Also they have cocktails in the back.

• Options
    OOOOOH do they have Corner Stones from the C Team?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I'm ADHD but happy so everything is really exciting

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I don’t even know what happiness is

I win! And winning is all that matters in life

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/12/02/science.abd6951
    https://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=fb243ace-c9d5-437f-910f-d7287d697ee9

A story about chemistry, fish, AND conservation? Be still my heart.

To summarize, there's a phenomenon that's been observed where coho salmon, which spawn in in urban creeks in the PNW, die in large numbers following storm runoff. The cause was, heretofore, unclear. The study linked above traces the toxicity to a specific oxidation product derived from a tire additive that's common to all/many/most commercial tires. That in itself suggests an immediate remedy (stop using that compound), though I don't see how it could be implemented quickly.

But my larger question is: is this specific to Coho, or a more general process that we just haven't quantified before?

Maybe navgoose for salmon

oh wow.

i sent this over to my friend who lives in the PNW and studied water table pollution in grad school

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

yes

oh god yes

Oh

Oh

so that's

hmm

definitely this for me

no sadness or thoughts of self-harm

just complete lack of motivation or capacity for joy

When you actually run out of Youtube videos to watch you know it's time to talk to someone

I was there a few weeks ago

• Options
    Huh

If you look at themed cookbooks on Amazon, everything from Star Wars to D&D to Elder Scrolls

1) has a cookbook
    2) that book is reviewed astonishingly well, like, 4.5 to 5 star averages for all of them

I wonder if themed cookbooks are actually good in general, they just are also obviously license shovelware kitsch, so we all naturally assume the worst and are wrong?

• Options
    Also I don’t know why I am so cripplingly tired, I slept a lot last night but I feel completely exhausted

If only there was something I could do about it

• Options
    Amazon reviews are 100% worthless except for humor

• Options
    I want a V:tM cookbook

• Options
    Hmm on second look, so are all non-themed cookbooks

Maybe everyone just love cookbooks

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    chanus, you inspired me to make carnitas.

I've got a 4lb pork butt ready to go for tomorrow.

i am motivating myself to finish mine tonight instead of ordering delivery

This discussion has been closed.