As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Twelve Days of [chat]mas

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The snow started at about 6:30 here and is still going. It's deep enough that UK roads will be crazy.

Nice for a run though

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The various mountains are talking about opening the lifts for skiing, but not any of the facilities in order to preserve social distancing

Which does prompt me to wonder how you manage having several hundred people on a hill with no potential shelter if the weather turns

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The various mountains are talking about opening the lifts for skiing, but not any of the facilities in order to preserve social distancing

Which does prompt me to wonder how you manage having several hundred people on a hill with no potential shelter if the weather turns

Our mountains here are planning on kind of building an incline out of snow that goes from the mountain all the way out into the parking lot and having people ski to their cars, and use them as personalized warming huts, a place to eat, etc.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    And it's now melting. That was a fun couple of hours. We managed a tiny snowman

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's "gold". The pleasing symmetry of three one syllable words as a break in the chorus, each one emphasised, is better.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When the gulf stream collapses due to climate change maybe I can finally fucking get some snow here.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    No snow here either. Obviously it's tier 1 and 2 weather only. Tier 3 get drizzle and nothing else until infection rates go down.

• Options
    edited December 2020

Our mountains here are planning on kind of building an incline out of snow that goes from the mountain all the way out into the parking lot and having people ski to their cars, and use them as personalized warming huts, a place to eat, etc.

Interesting idea

I'm not sure that's doable here. Most of the larger areas (Glenshee, Glencoe, Cairngorm) pretty much require you to base yourself at a mid station quite a distance from the car park to access most of the pistes

The funicular railway at Cairngorm that would usually take people from one to the other isn't running at the moment

Plus, Glenshee and Cairngorm are distributed over multiple valleys some of which you can't get out of by just descending, you need to take a lift up and over into the next valley to access a route back to the base station

All of which is why I'm kind of worried. There's a long standing issue with the access at Cairngorm that means in heavy weather you can actually strand yourself in one of the adjacent gullies fairly easily if the lift that takes you out is suspended, which usually involves waiting it out in the cafe, but if that's closed...

japan on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    This is the arrangement of smaller new england ski mountains, with the parking lot, then the base lodge, then all the lifts starting in a central area.

https://s3.onthesnow.com/images/trailmaps/massachusetts/catamount-ski-ride-area/20190212174457/xlarge.jpg

But yeah if you have a situation where you have multiple isolated bases and lifts can close, that's an issue.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    Just saw some snow, actual ruddy snow! About one flake in twelve billion drops of cold, miserable drizzle, but it's there.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Just drizzle up here

We've yet to drop below freezing - highs of four degrees today

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I have now listened to some versions that attempt golden over gold and it is very clumsy

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I have now listened to some versions that attempt golden over gold and it is very clumsy

I feel like the cadence requires a weird amount of emphasis on the "den" which makes it sound kind of stilted

• Options
    Mojo and japan are right when they say that anyone singing "golden" is disgusting, a degenerate and politically suspect to boot.

• Options
    I've been wondering about a thing.

There's street parking around here where we live and most areas there's one day of the week you can't park there because they sweep the street. So like just outside here it's mondays you can't park there during work hours. Then as a master rule, you can't park anywhere in the area for more than 7 days in a row.

There are a few prime-real-estate spots where there is no street sweeping and so you can park there for the full 7 day period.

How do they keep track though? Like is it feasible I could get fined if I park in one of those for 8 days? I know for a fact that they do not check daily and I am within my full right to go out for an errand and then luck upon the same spot again. Maybe I parked somewhere else for a day they didn't check, but then when they come around I'm in the same spot again. They don't know.

Right?

• Options
    No court would convict if I got fined and contested?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Are we sure that's not the other dog's fetish?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but do ski resorts usually have their main lodging facilities up high or down low?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JFC there was apparently an incident a few weeks back where two guys blew up due to a completely random explosion. That city has now concluded it was a "blast coffin" which they say is a concrete thing where they used to discard explosives.

And now after going through records they've identified a couple of other ones, one under a recycling center and a couple that were buried along a running path. Just random forgotten coffins filled with explosives and dynamite that nobody remember having put there.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    JFC there was apparently an incident a few weeks back where two guys blew up due to a completely random explosion. That city has now concluded it was a "blast coffin" which they say is a concrete thing where they used to discard explosives.

And now after going through records they've identified a couple of other ones, one under a recycling center and a couple that were buried along a running path. Just random forgotten coffins filled with explosives and dynamite that nobody remember having put there.

Somebody's really got it in for the archaeologists of the future

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Screenshot_20201204-005920.png?width=453&height=572

• Options

I’m sure in most cases it’s -just- poisonous and carcinogenic as stuff decomposes but with bad luck I guess it explodes like in this case.

I understand random bombs in Europe what with the wars but maybe here they didn’t need to manually create bombs to catch up.

• Options
    Or maybe they did 🤔

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm watching Kitchen Nightmares and my favorite aspect, be it the UK version or US version, is how business owners ask Ramsay for help, then when he starts to give them help they get defensive and insist that they're "okay actually."

Right as I was thinking that sentiment, the chef on this episode started yelling at his friend (the business owner) with exactly what I said.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Turns out Bob Marley, huge gamer

We're gamin'
    I wanna game it with you
    We're gamin', gamin'
    And I hope you like gamin', too

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mojo and japan are right when they say that anyone singing "golden" is disgusting, a degenerate and politically suspect to boot.

yes, but those have nothing to do with singing the superior version

(of a garbage song for a garbage holiday)

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

I’m sure in most cases it’s -just- poisonous and carcinogenic as stuff decomposes but with bad luck I guess it explodes like in this case.

I understand random bombs in Europe what with the wars but maybe here they didn’t need to manually create bombs to catch up.

I'm always fascinated that this product exists:
    https://zeticauxo.com/downloads-and-resources/risk-maps/

Like, you could write something like that into a cyberpunk/dystopian novel

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Me most days: "It's dark outside, that means it's too late to vacuum without annoying the neighbors"

at 6 pm

• Options

I'm always fascinated that this product exists:
    https://zeticauxo.com/downloads-and-resources/risk-maps/

Like, you could write something like that into a cyberpunk/dystopian novel

Or use it as a plot device in an RPG set in the real world like Shadowrun or one of the Noun: the Verbening games

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lady Raven got me some stuff off the Steam sale as an early Xmas gift and because I'm generally a great husband, I assume.

Boneworks is my first VR game to control like a regular FPS instead of that weird teleport "blink" movement solution that HL: Alyx employs and uh... now I understand why Alyx does that. Holy shit is it disorienting to have your body move around while you don't actually move! Think I'm gonna be playing it sat down...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Lady Raven got me some stuff off the Steam sale as an early Xmas gift and because I'm generally a great husband, I assume.

Boneworks is my first VR game to control like a regular FPS instead of that weird teleport "blink" movement solution that HL: Alyx employs and uh... now I understand why Alyx does that. Holy shit is it disorienting to have your body move around while you don't actually move! Think I'm gonna be playing it sat down...

Even as someone who doesn't experience motion sickness at all in reality? Yeah, VR FPS movement is basically a nightmare.

I assume it's something I could probably eventually adjust to via repeated exposure but I don't think it'd be worth it.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It's 2020, the real question I have these days is why aren't powered exoskeleton's being sold at local hardware stores. I feel like there should be some moderately expensive thing you plug like, 8 of some brand's lithium-ion batteries into that lets you lift heavier weights.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It's 2020, the real question I have these days is why aren't powered exoskeleton's being sold at local hardware stores. I feel like there should be some moderately expensive thing you plug like, 8 of some brand's lithium-ion batteries into that lets you lift heavier weights.

The last time I looked into it? Fitting.

You really don't want something that's really powerful putting pressure on on joints in the wrong way. Especially not repeatedly.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @Feral I will crack your back free of charge

I am good with the back cracking making

This discussion has been closed.