Options

The Twelve Days of [chat]mas

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Tav wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    my new house doesn't have a doorbell and apparently my housemates miss deliveries all the time because couriers don't want to bother calling the phone number

i am mad about this dumb change

install a ring, or persist in the doomed world you have created

my concern is that the front door goes onto a street with several pubs (we're literally next door to one) and i feel like drunken idiots would be pressing it at all hours

i wonder if there's a silence feature
    I mean ring has video, but just a regular wireless door bell is pretty easy to install, and they are cheap. I don't know what the Irish equivalent of Home depot is, but for 25 bucks they have a wireless one which can be screwed in or stuck on, and the volume can be muted or go up to 85 dB. Again I'm not sure if Ireland has the same product, but I imagine there is a similar one. @Tav

zepherin on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    8ytysd15d1pk.png

Okay, possible casting, GO

Liquid Snake: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Revolver Ocelot: I dunno, Mads Mikkelson?
    Sniper Wolf: Brie Larson
    Vulcan Raven: Dave Bautista
    Otacon: Thomas Middleditch
    Mei-Link: Pom Klementif
    Meryl: Jessica Chastain?
    Decoy Octopus: Jeffrey Wright
    Colonel Campbell: Jeff Bridges

My choices are terrible, I'm bad at this.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I often envisage kosh as Orson Welles

It's the relatable everyman girth combined with the intellectual gravitas of a Wisconsin offensive lineman, I think

We should return to the time when all our great inllectuals and artists would turn out amazing work over and over and thought a fart was the height of comedy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

It's the relatable everyman girth combined with the intellectual gravitas of a Wisconsin offensive lineman, I think

We should return to the time when all our great inllectuals and artists would turn out amazing work over and over and thought a fart was the height of comedy.
    Farts are pretty funny.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Psycho Mantis: Christopher Walken

I can see, I can see into your memory card man. You play some weird shit my friend.

I could see Bill Skarsgård absolutely nailing Mantis

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    lZDustq.jpg

Zavian on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Farts are pretty funny.

rudy juliani farting on mic was something we all deserved and needed

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Psycho Mantis should be played by cgi Peter Cushing

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I think I’ll get a cat for my new place if I can teach it to use the toilet

Can’t have my new place smelling like cat pee

You have to name this new pet Atomikat. Those are the rules.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Wait

Liquid and Solid are clones

Shouldn't they look the same? But Liquid has blonde hair?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Mantzoukas as Snake in an otherwise entirely serious film would be a superb disaster

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Telemachus is the "he" and Circe is the "I" here, from p. 339:
    "I saw a hive that looks overfull," he said. "I can split it in the spring, if you like."

I said I would and watched him scrape away the uneven soil. "The roof drains here," I said. "Those flagstones will only wobble again after the next rain."

"That is how things go. You fix them, and they go awry, and then you fix them again."

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Psycho Mantis: Christopher Walken

I can see, I can see into your memory card man. You play some weird shit my friend.

I could see Bill Skarsgård absolutely nailing Mantis

oh fuck yeah now we're talkin'

and also when you watch it employees at the theater break into your car and Psycho Mantis starts telling the theater about that fast food you ate last week but never threw the bag away so it's just sitting in the back seat because you forgot about it.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    8df23db64eb21ef1d1a8e9d8e44196d9--super-cat-funny-cats.jpg

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wait

Liquid got all the dominant genes and Solid got all the recessive ones. Yes, that's not how genetics works. But it would also explain why they look nothing alike.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The manual for Alpha Centauri is a 200-page book describing the travails the devs went through to make the game, an exhaustive discussion of the game systems and how they were designed and what they are intended to model, a novella-length essay about science fiction and futurism and their role in shaping current world events, a multi-page recommended reading list of fiction & nonfiction & philosophy, a text prologue to the game...and finally, a manual and basic strategy guide.

The manuals for the Ultima games were written as in-world documents and had this lovely pen-and-ink line art. There was a "Book of Magic" that described how to cast almost every spell in the game, but in in-universe terms ("mix two portions of moss gathered under the blood moon with" etc etc) and you had to suss out what it actually meant in-game.

turnundead.GIF

The manual for Wing Commander was an issue of "Claw Marks," the on-ship magazine of the Tiger's Claw space carrier that your guy is assigned to. It's got articles on the space war, little interviews and profiles of the pilots, a lost and found section, want ads and other stuff.

I loved all that shit so much

• Options
    Mantzoukas as Snake in an otherwise entirely serious film would be a superb disaster

I think if they make Metal Gear as an entirely serious film they will have utterly failed.

Like, 80% serious and 20% ridiculous please

If Oscar Isaac doesn't have a codec conversation from inside a cardboard box I'm gonna be sad

• Options
    if you think about it, solid snake is basically a cat. always hiding in cardboard boxes, sneaking around and pouncing on unsuspecting passerbys

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Wait

The whole thing stems from Kojima completely misunderstanding what "dominant" and "recessive" genes are so I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially considering that Liquid apparently, for purposes of plot, looks identical to Master Miller (Solid's senpai) but not Solid, except for the plot instances in which he does

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The manual for Alpha Centauri is a 200-page book describing the travails the devs went through to make the game, an exhaustive discussion of the game systems and how they were designed and what they are intended to model, a novella-length essay about science fiction and futurism and their role in shaping current world events, a multi-page recommended reading list of fiction & nonfiction & philosophy, a text prologue to the game...and finally, a manual and basic strategy guide.

The manuals for the Ultima games were written as in-world documents and had this lovely pen-and-ink line art. There was a "Book of Magic" that described how to cast almost every spell in the game, but in in-universe terms ("mix two portions of moss gathered under the blood moon with" etc etc) and you had to suss out what it actually meant in-game.

turnundead.GIF

The manual for Wing Commander was an issue of "Claw Marks," the on-ship magazine of the Tiger's Claw space carrier that your guy is assigned to. It's got articles on the space war, little interviews and profiles of the pilots, a lost and found section, want ads and other stuff.

I loved all that shit so much
    You know that your game is going to be badass when it comes with LORE and a cloth map.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Wait

Liquid got all the dominant genes and Solid got all the recessive ones. Yes, that's not how genetics works. But it would also explain why they look nothing alike.

Ah okay, there we go. Hard to tell on PS1 era graphics after all.

0niesgwl92yx.png

These are some solid choices.

I am hyped for this movie that is going to never come out and if it does be terrible.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    As a masochist, I respect Issac for still doing big production sci fi after big production sci fi despite Star Wars

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wait

Liquid organized a terrorist organization to take over a military base and steal nuclear weapons. I think he can handle a box of hair color.

• Options
    Wait

The whole thing stems from Kojima completely misunderstanding what "dominant" and "recessive" genes are so I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially considering that Liquid apparently, for purposes of plot, looks identical to Master Miller (Solid's senpai) but not Solid, except for the plot instances in which he does

Pff, liquid looks completely different, he has his hair down

and isn't wearing sunglasses

Totally different!

• Options
    @SniperGuy you seeing this D&Destiny?

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    @SniperGuy you seeing this D&Destiny?

Yeah I heard about it, it seems neat! My current tabletop gaming plans are to finish Descent into Avernus before April, because then the baby arrives and I assume it'll be much harder for me to DM a weekly game. But I'm intrigued, the Destiny lore stuff is incredible and the more I get to talk about it, the better.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    https://www.bookforum.com/print/2704/notes-on-a-tiktok-quarantine-24264

this was a good article about tiktok

i know some of you fellow olds are poo pooer fuddy duddies but

this article is a quick read and encapsulated some of my feelings about it
    When people ask the internet, “What is the point of TikTok?” Google supplies a cranky blog post that elides the question by dismissing its “whirlwind of amateur videos” as irrelevant “for anyone over the age of 20.” But I, a woman of thirtysomething experience, can tell you that TikTok is a depression prophylactic, an immunity booster for your emotional health at any age. It has been a precious source of solace during an unendingly precarious time.

I watch TikTok not to be numbed but to remember what I like about being alive, the elements of which we’re now largely deprived: unexpected spectacles, spontaneous conviviality between strangers, accidental hilarity. Social distancing reduces opportunities for interaction, not just with other people but with environments, objects, and animals, which in turn decreases the odds of being ambushed by delight—a delight doubled by virtue of its unpredictability.

There is no escape from what life is like, but there are momentary reprieves from the worst of it, and those reprieves supply the gladdening required to endure. The ways in which TikTok sustains me make me think of Vivian Gornick’s odes to the streets of New York. “Nothing healed me of a sore and angry heart like a walk through the city,” she writes in The Odd Woman and the City: “To see in the street the fifty different ways people struggle to remain human—the variety and inventiveness of survival techniques—was to feel the pressure relieved. . . . I felt in my nerve endings the common refusal to go under. That refusal became company.”

this encapsulates how i feel about it much better than i couldve said

also the writing is really good

poo
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Wait

Um, excuse me, ACKSHULLY Solid got the dominant genes.

(Unless that was retconned in later versions, I only played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2)

Chastain for Meryl is a great choice, but no way the source material deserves an ensemble cast.

Also, MGS really resonated with me as a young man, and I thought it was perfect for adaptation to a movie, but these days I feel like that was the perspective of someone with bad taste? I dunno. I still have fond memories of playing MGS for the first time.

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    lZDustq.jpg
    The black cat is like, "Check out my tiny pink butthole to see if there is an issue. And proctologist cat is like, Looks pretty clear, and then the fart is loosed."

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The only thing I don't understand about TikTok (and previously, Vine) is its business model.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Wait

(Unless that was retconned in later versions, I only played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2)

Chastain for Meryl is a great choice, but no way the source material deserves an ensemble cast.

Also, MGS really resonated with me as a young man, and I thought it was perfect for adaptation to a movie, but these days I feel like that was the perspective of someone with bad taste? I dunno. I still have fond memories of playing MGS for the first time.
    The whole point of Metal Gear Solid is that Liquid THINKS that Solid got all the dominant genes but DUN DUN DUN the situation was actually reversed and Liquid actually had all the dominant genes and all of his inferiority complex was just in his head.

It's SO dumb.

EDIT: And Solidus has the perfect balance of dominant and recessive genes, making him the perfect soldier, just like Big Boss and AAAAAHHHHH....
    bz9zdjbce0nt.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Wait

The whole point of Metal Gear Solid is that Liquid THINKS that Solid got all the dominant genes but DUN DUN DUN the situation was actually reversed and Liquid actually had all the dominant genes and all of his inferiority complex was just in his head.

It's SO dumb.

Oh. I guess I missed or forgot that.

Did that ever come up in MGS1? Because I suppose it might have in MGS2, most of that game feels like a fever dream to me, it was so batshit.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Wait

No, post credits of MGS1 confirms Liquid was the dom

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Wait

Nope!

Liquid is mad because Solid got the dominant genes, but it's revealed that he was wrong and Liquid did receive the dominant genes.
    "Yes. The inferior one was the winner after all. That's right. Until the very end, Liquid thought he was the inferior one."

and then he mentions Solidus, the third one. Post credits of MGS1

Oh right and then he's like "No one knows you're the third one, Solidus. Yes. Yes, definitely. Okay.

MR. PRESIDENT"

so good

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Wait

No, post credits of MGS1 confirms Liquid was the dom

Ah, I am embarrassed. I have no memory of that at all.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    8df23db64eb21ef1d1a8e9d8e44196d9--super-cat-funny-cats.jpg
    a weapon to surpass metal gear

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    SniperGuy you seeing this D&Destiny?

Yeah I heard about it, it seems neat! My current tabletop gaming plans are to finish Descent into Avernus before April, because then the baby arrives and I assume it'll be much harder for me to DM a weekly game. But I'm intrigued, the Destiny lore stuff is incredible and the more I get to talk about it, the better.

When I had a newborn the first few months I had plenty of time to mess around on things like D&D. They are basically a tamagotchi before 4 months.

Once they get moving then things become harder. 2 was especially tough for commiting to anything. Now that the boy is almost 4 I can sort of let him do his own thing a bit, but I do have to pop in and out of games sometimes.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wait

Nope!

Liquid is mad because Solid got the dominant genes, but it's revealed that he was wrong and Liquid did receive the dominant genes.
    "Yes. The inferior one was the winner after all. That's right. Until the very end, Liquid thought he was the inferior one."

and then he mentions Solidus, the third one. Post credits of MGS1

Oh right and then he's like "No one knows you're the third one, Solidus. Yes. Yes, definitely. Okay.

MR. PRESIDENT"

so good

Also worth pointing out that this post-credit scene uses "inferior" instead of "recessive", which maybe suggests that it's less Kojima not knowing shit about biology and more Liquid having no clue what he's talking about

Granted that this interpretation still has to view things through a Metal Gear filter for sci-fi

• Options
    MGS2 basically is a fever dream, but having replayed it in the past year I can also say that it is one of the best games of the series.

This discussion has been closed.