Options

The Twelve Days of [chat]mas

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Neco wrote: »
    heart dialogue option...queer...Ancient Greece...sex with an old lady...quest reward

@Jacobkosh i guess

yeah this all checks out

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The only thing I don't understand about TikTok (and previously, Vine) is its business model.

selling user data
    On interests, maybe, but that would require some exceptionally good tagging. If you look at the stuff other video-hosting services have had to do to stay buoyant...

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait

Liquid and Solid are clones

Shouldn't they look the same? But Liquid has blonde hair?
    Liquid got all the dominant genes and Solid got all the recessive ones. Yes, that's not how genetics works. But it would also explain why they look nothing alike.

Um, excuse me, ACKSHULLY Solid got the dominant genes.

(Unless that was retconned in later versions, I only played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2)

Chastain for Meryl is a great choice, but no way the source material deserves an ensemble cast.

Also, MGS really resonated with me as a young man, and I thought it was perfect for adaptation to a movie, but these days I feel like that was the perspective of someone with bad taste? I dunno. I still have fond memories of playing MGS for the first time.

No, post credits of MGS1 confirms Liquid was the dom

Ah, I am embarrassed. I have no memory of that at all.

I mean it came out in like 97 or something so it’s pretty easy to forget

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    MGS2 basically is a fever dream, but having replayed it in the past year I can also say that it is one of the best games of the series.
    People were SO mad about the whole Raiden thing back then. I thought it was fine, especially when things started going off the rails near the end, and also seeing Snake as Plissken (obvious reference is obvious).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    God that just reminds me of the best part of the aftercredits scene

...MISTER PRESIDENT

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    metal gear solid ranking list
    revengeance > 2 > 3 > the rest are unplayable

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    MGS2 is probably the best one, but it’s hard to choose between that and 3

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Oscar Issac with reading glasses and a notepad pouring over the MGS fan wiki

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    One thing about MGS that stuck with me is that I was completely blown away by Cam Clarke's portrayal of Liquid. I always expected to hear his voice in other super dramatic roles but I ended up just recognizing him in, like, bit parts. Most memorable part of MGS for me was his performance.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    MGSV best gameplay, MGS2 best overall game (story/themes, gameplay, contextualizing for the era), MGS3 best story

Eddy on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The story of Metal Gear is not nearly as convoluted as everyone says.

It all starts because someone has to take the blame for firing a nuke into Russia and then they make Big Boss kill them to defend America and then Big Boss becomes disillusioned with America, so people clone him multiple times and then the clones all fight a lot and Big Boss mysteriously survives a lot and Revolver Ocelot grafts Liquid's arm to himself and pretends to be controlled by Liquid and then private military corporations take over the world and Otacon bangs his step mother. Also nanomachines. And there's a wasp man and a psychic boy. Oh, and the best way to have peace is for everyone to have a nuke so no one will nuke each other except then they realize hey that's actually a stupid idea let's just get rid of nukes but no one wants to do that so the apocalypses happens and everyone has laser swords and liquid cooling white blood.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The only thing I don't understand about TikTok (and previously, Vine) is its business model.

Advertising eventually

But it’s the golden era because they’re in growth phase basically and are just stating to monetize
    2020 will prob be the best year for using it, advertising slowly starting to creep in

Same as any of these platforms
    Instagram used to be wholly different at first before they had to make money off it

That’s why this year has been the best time to use tiktok really
    First you capture attention then you monetize

poo
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    A media event that starts with Issac explaining how he's playing Solid Snake and Bill Hader is playing Venom Snake and that these are seperate people and somehow over the space of 15 minutes winds up at him wearily explaining what a fursona is.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    MGSV best gameplay, MGS2 best overall game (story/themes, gameplay, contextualizing for the era), MGS3 best story

MGS2 is such a weird one for me

Like, its gameplay felt pretty janky even at the time but I'm always going to give it huge amounts of respect for absolutely nailing the "internet memes are going to tear society apart" prediction back in 2001

• Options
    The only way to stop a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2020
    My favorite one was Metal Gear: Peace Walker. Not only did it have a great co-op mode, but it was also the first game (I think) with the Fulton balloon system, which allowed you to capture soldiers and tanks (?) in a Pokemon-like collection game, then use them in a mini-game as you built your Outer Heaven base. Probably the most fun I've had with a Metal Gear game to date.

It had some Monster Hunter crossover missions, which allowed you to beat up a Tigrex with a rocket launcher.
    MH-MGS-10.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    P10 wrote: »
    metal gear solid ranking list
    revengeance > 2 > 3 > the rest are unplayable

I dunno, running around Afghanistan abducting Spetsnaz by sic'ing my doggo after them then hooking them to balloons in Phantom Pain was pretty fun as long as you didn't spend much time thinking about the story.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    MGS2 basically is a fever dream, but having replayed it in the past year I can also say that it is one of the best games of the series.
    People were SO mad about the whole Raiden thing back then. I thought it was fine, especially when things started going off the rails near the end, and also seeing Snake as Plissken (obvious reference is obvious).

I definitely remember being sort of irked about it but it was an amazing switcheroo. The US audience was so confused.

And yeah, "Plissken" is clearly talking to Otacon and people are like "Hey sn--plissken, what's up?" and Raiden's like YOU'RE TOTALLY SNAKE and he's all nu uh that's dumb, go away

Also the end of that game when he just fuckin' dives into the ocean to swim after Metal Gear Ray is incredible.

Also also also, MGS4 is good. Too many cutscenes, but a lot of the cutscenes rule and the gameplay is actually great. For me it's probably 2/3>1>4>Peace Walker>Revengeance>>>>>>>>>>>5
    But they're all good. Except 5, which should just remove all the story entirely and let you just play the missions because that part is good.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

selling user data
    On interests, maybe, but that would require some exceptionally good tagging. If you look at the stuff other video-hosting services have had to do to stay buoyant...

Vine didn't really have a monetization strategy, not even a vague semblance of one that existed just to mollify venture capital investors.

On the other hand, TikTok's mobile app is notoriously privacy-invasive, and it seems to be collecting a lot of data on users that is irrelevant to the videos themselves. So they're not just tracking the topics tagged on the videos you watch.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    My favorite one was Metal Gear: Peace Walker. Not only did it have a great co-op mode, but it was also the first game (I think) with the Fulton balloon system, which allowed you to capture soldiers and tanks (?) in a Pokemon-like collection game, then use them in a mini-game as you built your Outer Heaven base. Probably the most fun I've had with a Metal Gear game to date.

It had some Monster Hunter crossover missions, which allowed you to beat up a Tigrex with a rocket launcher.
    MH-MGS-10.jpg

Also, if you S rank the "date" with Paz on the beach and then do it again, she's in her underwear for some reason and the entire twitch chat will yell at you because she's like 16
    EXCEPT SHE'S NOT SHE'S LIKE 24 AND SHE'S AN EVIL ENEMY AGENT

But yes that was a good game.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The only way to stop a badass 70m bipedal war machine with multiple nuke is a good guy with a katana

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    MGS2 has...the memes...

• Options
    It all starts because someone has to take the blame for firing a nuke into Russia and then they make Big Boss kill them to defend America and then Big Boss becomes disillusioned with America, so people clone him multiple times and then the clones all fight a lot and Big Boss mysteriously survives a lot and Revolver Ocelot grafts Liquid's arm to himself and pretends to be controlled by Liquid and then private military corporations take over the world and Otacon bangs his step mother. Also nanomachines. And there's a wasp man and a psychic boy. Oh, and the best way to have peace is for everyone to have a nuke so no one will nuke each other except then they realize hey that's actually a stupid idea let's just get rid of nukes but no one wants to do that so the apocalypses happens and everyone has laser swords and liquid cooling white blood.
    The story of Metal Gear is not nearly as convoluted as everyone says.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

La li lu le lo!

• Options
    Awww that reminded me of the downer that was Ground Zeroes

• Options
    Wait I guess all of them are downers

• Options
    But what's the best Metal Gear Moment? "Can love bloom on the battlefield?" as Sniper Wolf dies in the snow?

The Raiden reveal?

Naked Raiden sword fighting?

Fist Fight on top of a Robot in the Ocean?

Grey Fox being fuckin' awesome?

Psycho Mantis making you move your controller port?

Volgin realizing Big Boss is an imposter by grabbing his crotch and feeling the difference?

The final Boss fight in MGS3?

Revolver Ocelot doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y897tozJeg8

Otacon talking about having sex with his step mother?

• Options
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have a friend who when I get drunk with him we spend a lot of time quoting metal gear solid at one another. It is a strange little ritual

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Psycho Mantis moving your controller and reading your memory card was probably one of the most creative 4th wall break, and was very memorable.

Otacon ending for MGS1, "Hah, Dave and Hal, maybe we should go on a trip to Jupiter."

• Options
    I never finished Phantom Pain but I might start it over fresh when I’m finished with Deus Ex MD and AC Odyssey

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you're pretty good *finger guns*

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    P10 wrote: »
    you're pretty good *finger guns*

gasp!

xgjc9727wn7h.gif

Eddy on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I have a friend who when I get drunk with him we spend a lot of time quoting metal gear solid at one another. It is a strange little ritual

I have the same thing with the Sean Bean TV series Sharpe

He rewatched the whole thing with his fiancée do that she would have some idea what the hell we were talking about

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    but seriously

tiktok was and continues to be one of the lights that is getting me through 2020

poo
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    metal gear revengeance is so fucking good

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I have the same thing with the Sean Bean TV series Sharpe

He rewatched the whole thing with his fiancée do that she would have some idea what the hell we were talking about

My longest-term partner and I often say goodbye to each other in the fashion of Commander Shepard from Mass Effect 1.

*awkward pause*

"I should go."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I should replay MGS2, I remember it being ok, but I think I'd appreciate it a lot more later.

I also want to replay 3, which I know I enjoyed a lot.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    The finger guns in Before the Storm have supplanted Revolver Ocelot's bizarre gun thrust thing in my head

I have finally been... redeemed...

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I understand the exclusion for the purposes of the thematic point being made, but allthesame, how could you exclude the best tweet from that thread

Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.