As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Collaborators, I understand you are in India and we are in new england. But have you tried not being in India? Or taking us to not new england? It's cold and dark here for one. Our meetings are at 8am for us and 630pm for you. I dont at all know Indian work culture but don't y'all wanna go? Cause we don't wanna be up.

I've also been rapidly thrust into, "here are all the ways our contractors are fucking up, review their protocols and see what you can do." So all my intros have been, "this is Turk our new scientist....hello, nice to meet you, here is an itemized list of things we want you to do from the new guy you just met that all imply we don't trust you very much (we don't)" I feel like some sort of villian...or consultant.....but I repeat myself.

Oh Indian offices tend to start relatively late and regular work days are 9 hours (more at sweat shops, abusive call centers etcetc). Add to that a warm meal and a bunch of tea breaks and a 630 meeting isn't that wild.

Yeah, this is very accurate. And I'm saying this as someone who lives in India. Our cafeterias are packed between 5 and 6.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got a new cup to take to work. I've already consumed my entire daily requirement of water.

I think the cup is working okay.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Collaborators, I understand you are in India and we are in new england. But have you tried not being in India? Or taking us to not new england? It's cold and dark here for one. Our meetings are at 8am for us and 630pm for you. I dont at all know Indian work culture but don't y'all wanna go? Cause we don't wanna be up.

I've also been rapidly thrust into, "here are all the ways our contractors are fucking up, review their protocols and see what you can do." So all my intros have been, "this is Turk our new scientist....hello, nice to meet you, here is an itemized list of things we want you to do from the new guy you just met that all imply we don't trust you very much (we don't)" I feel like some sort of villian...or consultant.....but I repeat myself.

I'm in the UK and regularly work with Californians. It seems everybody there starts work at some point between 6 and 7am. Which would suck, but is very convenient for us.

They don't. They are very literally just doing it for you.

I've been in CA for 5 years now (LA area) and anything actually starting before 10am is fucking staggering. As a morning person it hurts my brain. That said, I'm on calls with the UK 3 times a week starting at 7am so -shrug-

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

I'm in the UK and regularly work with Californians. It seems everybody there starts work at some point between 6 and 7am. Which would suck, but is very convenient for us.

I've been in CA for 5 years now (LA area) and anything actually starting before 10am is fucking staggering. As a morning person it hurts my brain. That said, I'm on calls with the UK 3 times a week starting at 7am so -shrug-

yeah at my old office in SoCal, official policy started off as "show up anywhere between 9 and 9:30" and within a year it had unofficially become "you're lucky if everyone is in the office before 10"

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    We had a standing team meeting at 8:00 am everyday that everyone was always late to, so when I took over I moved it to 8:30. Then other people saw I had 8:00-8:30 free on my schedule and started trying to schedule stuff then.

My favorite was yesterday when I got invited to an 8:00 meeting at 8:05, and then it got moved because I was late.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    After a project manager scheduled one too many 8am meetings, I've now blocked off my first hour of work as checkup on email and tickets time.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Welp, I just sent an email that will probably cost someone their job. Maybe it will be me! However, regardless of the outcome, a certain issue will be resolved for good, I believe.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    You guys remember the Cyber Security Month program I mentioned? The D&D themed one that raised such a stink from some of the more stick up the ass parts of where I work?

We just won a national award for it, so myself, the artist, and the other member of the marketing team involved have been asked to judge the 2021 competition.

So thats cool!

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

yeah at my old office in SoCal, official policy started off as "show up anywhere between 9 and 9:30" and within a year it had unofficially become "you're lucky if everyone is in the office before 10"

norcal here, but all my previous jobs have been core hours roughly 10-4, anything outside of that is just get your job done and show up to meetings. once we all hit wfh, it became show up to meetings and get your job done...

new job is headquartered in washington and having to shift my core hours approximately 4 hours up for the new culture has been a bit of an adjustment.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What industry are y'all in with a six hour work day

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    You guys remember the Cyber Security Month program I mentioned? The D&D themed one that raised such a stink from some of the more stick up the ass parts of where I work?

We just won a national award for it, so myself, the artist, and the other member of the marketing team involved have been asked to judge the 2021 competition.

So thats cool!

If they haven't, see if your sympathetic manager will circulate a morale boosting announcement about the win to everyone including the shit wizard. They probs won't reply but you'll know in your heart they hate clicked it.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Ah sorry, for me at least it's still a regular 8 hr workday, we're just not required to work them all in a row. It's likely worse for productivity but does allow for some flexibility for folks who want it.

Bucketman wrote: »

So thats cool!

If they haven't, see if your sympathetic manager will circulate a morale boosting announcement about the win to everyone including the shit wizard. They probs won't reply but you'll know in your heart they hate clicked it.

He already has! As has the manager of the marketing team that worked with me. Feels good!

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

It's core hours, meaning any time between these hours, you must be at work/online/whatever. In the past I've seen it go from 9-2. Meaning everyone is online at their desk doing their work between those hours, with the exception of lunch.
    So some people will start at 6 and work until 2, and some will work 9-5, but no one will work from 10-6 or whatever, because that's outside of the core hours (with some granted exceptions, of course, such as your client is in Eastern Europe and the time difference is huge).

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Myself and other leaders:pity we cannot train new people on alarms without alarms

Nature:windstorm!

Us:
    ⢀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣤⣶⣶ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⣀⣀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡏⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠛⠉⠁⠀⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠿⠿⠿⠻⠿⠿⠟⠿⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⠀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠀⠀⢰⣹⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣭⣷⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠤⠄⠀⠀⠀⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢾⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠤⢄⠀⠀⠀⠠⣿⣿⣷⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡀⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢄⠀⢀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah I have a bunch of UK and EU meetings and we schedule them for 7/8am my time to ensure the other end doesn't have to stay too late, but you better believe without those I wouldn't be rolling up to my desk before 9.30. California is not an early-rising state.

I'm doing some online workshop certification (in the futile hope I will get to be in the lab this year) and one of the prereqs is a nine-hour CNC course, from 101 through to more advanced. I haven't done any design for subtractive manufacture in years so for me it's a welcome refresher, I don't mind being handheld for a while
    but the other 'student' on this course is a Professor of Manufacturing Engineering, and he is being incredibly gracious about being told at length what a milling machine is.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Your schedules make me feel like I'm getting fucked over because I work in California and my hours are 7-4(ish), sometimes starting earlier

Though keep in mind this is in the construction industry, meaning most of the first shift field work happens from 6-2:30

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Ah sorry, for me at least it's still a regular 8 hr workday, we're just not required to work them all in a row. It's likely worse for productivity but does allow for some flexibility for folks who want it.

Oh a flexible schedule would me nice!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Had to go into work today since I had some weird remote connection issues after rebooting my PC - normally it starts up fine, but this time it would just not start up!

Anyway, I'm glad this office is nice at least, it makes it less of a pain when I have to go in. Plus a half-hour or so drive is WAY better than the... 2+ hour commute of my previous job.

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    It has been 302 days since I have been into our office. 302 days since the whole company started to work from home.

After remote working for this long, I'm not sure I'll ever want to go back into the office.

t9migZb.jpg
    I'm so sick of working in my apartment.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I do like working from home but also it's really weird because I get intensely paranoid about my bosses finding out that sometimes I fuck off and play a videogame when nothing's happening. At least in the office I don't have that.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

No, I start getting email replies from about 6am. And when we set meetings they usually shrug and say they're in super early so whenever. It's crazy but true of every Californian client I've had.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    tynic wrote: »

Considering the type of work you do I don't blame you.

For me its an hour + commute through traffic as opposed to my warm office

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Me too tynic, me too.

Fucking bullshit, I tell you hwhat.

Speaking of which, a train just drove through three bay cities holding the horn down the whole way. Like, minutes of incessant noise (they're legally not supposed to do that).
    I can still hear it moving through Oakland.

On the plus side I have looked into monthly parking near my office and it actually seems pretty affordable, so that's cool.

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which, a train just drove through three bay cities holding the horn down the whole way. Like, minutes of incessant noise (they're legally not supposed to do that).
    I can still hear it moving through Oakland.

I feel like that's pretty high up on the worst-case scale of "Oh noes the horn is stuck!"

Huh...
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Should I feel glad that in my attempts to get forensic data to a vendor about why something is breaking, to support my conclusions... that I think I fixed the issue on my own?

I really, REALLY do not like the implication (that the permissions of our software are out of whack), and I want to determine the baseline, but... vendor is taking so long to reply.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    yeah I have a bunch of UK and EU meetings and we schedule them for 7/8am my time to ensure the other end doesn't have to stay too late, but you better believe without those I wouldn't be rolling up to my desk before 9.30. California is not an early-rising state.

I'm doing some online workshop certification (in the futile hope I will get to be in the lab this year) and one of the prereqs is a nine-hour CNC course, from 101 through to more advanced. I haven't done any design for subtractive manufacture in years so for me it's a welcome refresher, I don't mind being handheld for a while
    but the other 'student' on this course is a Professor of Manufacturing Engineering, and he is being incredibly gracious about being told at length what a milling machine is.

Dude!
    I wanna take that! Also slightly related but we should do another zoom or whatever hangout.

PSN: jfrofl
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    When this all gets back to some semblance of normal I'm hoping I can stay working from home 3-4 days a week. I like seeing people, and there are some things that are easier in person, on the local network, but not most of it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I miss writing at coffee shops/bars so much

I miss writing at coffee shops/bars so much

yeah exactly
    it's not that I want to be at the office per se (although there's a lot of stuff I can't do anywhere else, including at home) so much as I work much better in non-home environments and staying on task without even being able to go to a library or coffee shop is a fucking nightmare.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

How are your lockpicking skills? You could try working in your neighbour's apartment.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I do like working from home but also it's really weird because I get intensely paranoid about my bosses finding out that sometimes I fuck off and play a videogame when nothing's happening. At least in the office I don't have that.

It's ok, they're too caught up in their Terreria game to notice.

How are your lockpicking skills? You could try working in your neighbour's apartment.

ironically I've just been offered a set of basic lock picking tools and practise locks.
    but that's the kind of thing you do to pass the time on long commutes and well

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I miss going places.

I do not miss waking up at 7 am for a 1hr-1hr15m commute.

If my office ever does go back to everyone on campus full time I seriously may ask to just be kept working remote, I am much more effective when I'm not exhausted constantly.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    And yes I realize many people wake up naturally at 7 am or even have to get up before that and I'm slightly being a whiny baby, but also my body is basically hardwired to want to sleep 2/2:30 am - 10:30/11 am and that's been true since I was like 12 and no amount of attempting to change it has worked, so normal working hours fucking suck!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can't imagine having a 1 hour commute twice a day that sounds like hell

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Damnit, tried something new and was taking notes in MindMaster but hit the free version 100 item limit real fast. Now I can't get it to export in a format that comparable programs will import in a usable state.

This discussion has been closed.