As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    It's time the internet found a new funny number anyway.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's time the internet found a new funny number anyway.
    Nice.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    There's one floating around way back, I think it has School in the title (because Americans).

edit: yeah (wow that is a way back)
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176198/then-youll-be-teaching-willie-school

I was thinking a) Let's not perform thread necromancy and b) I want to talk specifically about post-secondary education

Also that thread IS about post-secondary education, it's just americans still call that School.
    Unless you mean graduate school. Which is post-tertiary.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just had my first 1 on 1 with my new team lead. It started 30 minutes late because the previous meeting he had went long, and it went for half an hour longer than usual.

Seems we are all on the same page about how to make ourselves better and actually work as a team more, and drive our ship and fortunes a bit more. Which is AWESOME. I think we've got the beginnings of a pretty good plan on self improvement, which in return should improve the entire university.

And they're still talking about me taking on more of an implementer/site reliability role and helping maintain our internal tools, which is... oh man. So exciting!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I fucked up and got this pilot script turned into network ahead of deadline. Rather than buying me more time for the next draft, this made the network feel "confident" that I could get the next draft in quicker than they usually expect.

I really played myself on this one.

It's frustrating in a few ways - one, nothing's filming anyway, there's no rush. Two, there was literally a Deadline article about how half the network's purchased pitches have yet to turn in scripts. I'm already ahead of the pack! They should get off my jock!

I'm told that enthusiasm is good, and I'm sure it is, but I'm rather grumpy that I forgot over-delivering is inadvertently punished in every line of work.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The Montgomery Scott Doctrine is universal

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    There's one floating around way back, I think it has School in the title (because Americans).

edit: yeah (wow that is a way back)
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176198/then-youll-be-teaching-willie-school

I was thinking a) Let's not perform thread necromancy and b) I want to talk specifically about post-secondary education

Also that thread IS about post-secondary education, it's just americans still call that School.
    Unless you mean graduate school. Which is post-tertiary.

And I def posted about grad school there. Raise the dead.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I fucked up and got this pilot script turned into network ahead of deadline. Rather than buying me more time for the next draft, this made the network feel "confident" that I could get the next draft in quicker than they usually expect.

I really played myself on this one.

It's frustrating in a few ways - one, nothing's filming anyway, there's no rush. Two, there was literally a Deadline article about how half the network's purchased pitches have yet to turn in scripts. I'm already ahead of the pack! They should get off my jock!

I'm told that enthusiasm is good, and I'm sure it is, but I'm rather grumpy that I forgot over-delivering is inadvertently punished in every line of work.

Just as likely "we're fucking bored give us stuff to do" if no one else is turning it in.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm getting a real big urge to move on. I became a customer at the place I work back in 2009, and I just had my six year anniversary as an employee there last month. Being unemployed for five years after spending years bouncing around on IT contracts, it's fucking scary to even think about leaving a stable job.

oh my god apparently there's an event called Cohackathon

absolutely zero prizes for guessing what that word looks like on a quick skim. I had a real double-take moment while scrolling the company slack.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Substantial disappointment quotient on the re-read, as well.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh proof I know what I am doing
    Yesterday because the truck for Tuesday night did not come in until 6am and we also had that night's freight so a grand total of 17+ pallets
    I was given 2 more people to help. After we downstacked all but 5 of the pallets I said we are going to work the stuff that did not fit in the freezer then work both ice cream pallets as a group then team up as groups of two and hit the already sorted freight
    When one group finishes their carts they will pull the other 3 pallets sort them {since it worst it would be 5 carts it looked like}
    I told this to the manager who expounds ideals of teamwork and such but never acts upon them he is also the hurr hurr I will write you up
    Was shocked my plan worked when i said his was kind of crap at 6 am when we were down to a entree cart and had to do the zone

Compared to dairy where he enacted his plan and they failed

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Today was busy, like not overwhelmingly so but whenever I tried to get around to doing the one thing I was intending to do today, something else would come up that was higher priority.

I eventually got to do the thing I was trying to do, though, so that’s good.

Also I got to see an (opposing counsel) attorney embarrass himself via email - dude was kinda shitty about “you MUST include my assistant on these emails, I do not see her ANYWHERE on this chain” (which I took note of the first time and made sure to include her on this email chain) and my attorney replied with “really? Because I see her on every email in this chain.”, highlighting her email address every time it appeared.

The response was a suitably chastened “Well I guess I didn’t see it when I looked the first time.”

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    so what would a cockathon be like though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    so what would a cockathon be like though

:winky:
    0f4lbyjwb8t0.jpeg

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    26.2 cocks, I reckon

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I wanna know about the .2 but I also really don't wanna know

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    It's 11pm on the day after my second vaccine and I'm still loopy as heck. Got work at 930 tomorrow tho. here's hoping it works out. But as much as it sucks right hell yeah got vaccinated! Whoo!

VayBJ4e.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Cosmetic Additional Foreskin Surgery

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cannot believe we got this far into the bit without mentioning teledildonics

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Well, it was senior year in high school and his name was Michael.....

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Maybe they were going for a record?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

Maybe they were going for a record?

Edging.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We just had our annual reviews this week. My work has changed how they categorize us at the end of the year - from an old model of "did you meet/exceed goals" to a new model of "what type of team member were you". My wife is going to rue the day that my work officially declared me as a Role Model.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I jinxed myself so bad yesterday.

I message a coworker that things had been going "so well" at a customer's site, which somehow has entirely been thrown on my plate to be their point of support due to a previous employee leaving. Of course, as soon as I mentioned that, chaos followed.

Why hubris, why.

I need to find a new job. This is awful.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    look what you’ve created @federalreserve

1:41 PM · Jan 17, 2021
    1.5K people are Tweeting about this

we always knew it would end this way

Brolo on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    look what you’ve created @federalreserve

1:41 PM · Jan 17, 2021
    1.5K people are Tweeting about this

we always knew it would end this way

Maybe this couple should frontload the video by talking about the guy who committed suicide because of failed trading on Robinhood.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... I don't get it?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo why

Why are you doing this to us Brolo

Athenor wrote: »
    ... I don't get it?
    "Here's my strategy in a nutshell,” Chad says in the video. “I see a stock going up and I buy it and I just watch it until it stops going up. And then I sell it and I do that over and over and it pays for our whole lifestyle.” In a follow up video, Chad told the tens of thousands of people accusing him of giving bad advice that they should “suck a butt” and said that he would now create a channel called Crappy Wall Street Advice to actually give advice and grow his profile from it.

There are plenty of things to get upset with “FinTok” influencers and their Reddit and YouTube cousins. Their “advice” is risky as hell, they are gambling, and some of them are likely presenting a skewed version of their lifestyles and their finances. Their advice is also in direct contradiction with that of more traditional investment advisors, FIRE community folks, and financial influencer-types, who suggest you cut your expenses, put a reasonable percentage of your money into broad index funds that mirror the entire stock market, and wait for a very long time until you become rich enough to quit your job or retire at 65.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93wgvv/people-are-so-so-mad-at-gamestop-investors-and-fintok-influencers

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Is this... mass market fraud?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    ... I don't get it?
    "Here's my strategy in a nutshell,” Chad says in the video. “I see a stock going up and I buy it and I just watch it until it stops going up. And then I sell it and I do that over and over and it pays for our whole lifestyle.” In a follow up video, Chad told the tens of thousands of people accusing him of giving bad advice that they should “suck a butt” and said that he would now create a channel called Crappy Wall Street Advice to actually give advice and grow his profile from it.

There are plenty of things to get upset with “FinTok” influencers and their Reddit and YouTube cousins. Their “advice” is risky as hell, they are gambling, and some of them are likely presenting a skewed version of their lifestyles and their finances. Their advice is also in direct contradiction with that of more traditional investment advisors, FIRE community folks, and financial influencer-types, who suggest you cut your expenses, put a reasonable percentage of your money into broad index funds that mirror the entire stock market, and wait for a very long time until you become rich enough to quit your job or retire at 65.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93wgvv/people-are-so-so-mad-at-gamestop-investors-and-fintok-influencers

This feels like context that should have been included with your initial video posting, especially considering the new rules on posting conspiracy theories and misinformation.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

that's the hot debate people are having over this!

There's actual trading firms who are shorting GameStop involved and everything, it's an actual real life stock market dispute not just dumb gamer drama!

buy low, sell high

yes that's how you make money, sure

The real question is how did they get enough money to do that and live off it?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Everything about stocks and the stock market looks like arcane bullshit designed to hide a rigged shell game under the veneer of respectability

3clipse wrote: »

that's the hot debate people are having over this!

There's actual trading firms who are shorting GameStop involved and everything, it's an actual real life stock market dispute not just dumb gamer drama!

I thought that WSB on reddit was pumping GME because some random dude at citron(??) talked shit about them and they're doing it to fuck with the advice he gave to people.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Everything about stocks and the stock market looks like arcane bullshit designed to hide a rigged shell game under the veneer of respectability

you are... not wrong

e4r0wbydoy23.png

I legit thought that video was satire

I legit thought that video was satire

FinTok is a wild place.

TikTok Investors
    @TikTokInvestors
    I’ve watched this 10 times and it somehow gets better each time. #fintok #stocktok

9:25 AM · Aug 31, 2020
    507 people are Tweeting about this
    You really can’t find these types of quality tips anywhere else.

12:09 PM · Jan 22, 2021
    161 people are Tweeting about this
    Absolute emergency 🚨

12:04 PM · Jan 21, 2021
    121 people are Tweeting about this

context:

this is all bad advice, that people on FinkTok (financial tiktok) are giving
    don't do any of this

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    80% of the stock market is owned by the top 10% and 50% is owned by the top 1% and I assume that means its just a game the rich play with each other, slurping up all their money from the poor and then swapping numbers around with each other and when human misery happens or is on the horizon those numbers go up because they say that they do

This discussion has been closed.