As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2020
    I spent most of today trying to chase down a coding bug.
    Thought I finally found it half an our ago, but turns out at some point this morning I'd introduced a brand new bug over the top and my incipient success was ... pretty much just reverting that one.
    so after blah hours I'm back to where I was at 9am. But with more grey hairs.

tynic on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Working in edu it's very reassuring to see other folks similarly not really getting any sort of annual bonus/party/etc. We get ... well, a pretty favorable holiday schedule, super long weekends. Which is nice. And it will be dead quiet when we are working.

But it'd be nice to pad the bank account

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Most academic departments I've been in have at least had a christmas bash of some kind. Bonuses are definitely not a thing though

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm getting a big fat Christmas bonus this year!

I mean, the biweekly payroll schedule happens to fall so that December is one of the two months out of the year where I get three paychecks. Totally counting it. Thanks, Santa!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm getting a big fat Christmas bonus this year!

I mean, the biweekly payroll schedule happens to fall so that December is one of the two months out of the year where I get three paychecks. Totally counting it. Thanks, Santa!

I think that's Jan for me. Which should help alleviate the pain of the christmas spending period.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    One of the reasons I want to work for the company that sounds like a euphemism for sperm is that they offer two yearly bonuses at 10 percent of your regular salary.

As someone who has read entire business cases explaining how we should spend weeks improving logging for the explicit purpose of reducing how much we pay for their licensing costs, I believe it.

Some day, I, too, will create a company called CumCo and make businesses have to speak my product name on the daily while also funding the comfort of my employees.

Speak of the devil, I just had to endure an hour of a Senior Dev presenting an argument that our logs are bloated (they are) and using Splunk is unwieldy and a hassle (YMMV), so we should instead start storing our summary error output in the database instead.

When pointed out that the likely result of doing so would mostly just result in the bloat and performance hassle being moved from isolated server logs to the database of our mission-critical essential government services enterprise application instead the meeting still continued for another 20 minutes.

I'm pretty sure this isn't even the first time I've heard this pointed out in response to this exact argument being raised before, from the same person.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I started my day with an hour-long teleconference to Big Blue, so my entire working day was pretty much a cliff notes version of @Cambiata's recent job thread journey.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I might be getting hired (for a temp job) for Christmas.
    ... I'll take it.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I want to work for the company that sounds like a euphemism for sperm is that they offer two yearly bonuses at 10 percent of your regular salary.

As someone who has read entire business cases explaining how we should spend weeks improving logging for the explicit purpose of reducing how much we pay for their licensing costs, I believe it.

Some day, I, too, will create a company called CumCo and make businesses have to speak my product name on the daily while also funding the comfort of my employees.

Speak of the devil, I just had to endure an hour of a Senior Dev presenting an argument that our logs are bloated (they are) and using Splunk is unwieldy and a hassle (YMMV), so we should instead start storing our summary error output in the database instead.

When pointed out that the likely result of doing so would mostly just result in the bloat and performance hassle being moved from isolated server logs to the database of our mission-critical essential government services enterprise application instead the meeting still continued for another 20 minutes.

I'm pretty sure this isn't even the first time I've heard this pointed out in response to this exact argument being raised before, from the same person.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I started my day with an hour-long teleconference to Big Blue, so my entire working day was pretty much a cliff notes version of Cambiata's recent job thread journey.

Fire this person into the sun

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

EDIT: Come to think of it, I started my day with an hour-long teleconference to Big Blue, so my entire working day was pretty much a cliff notes version of Cambiata's recent job thread journey.

Fire this person into the sun

Given the cost of Splunk, they likely want to consolidate the logs into the DB in order to save money.

So firing the person into the sun is the financially prudent choice here.

(Can you run ELK or something else? I'm still wondering if we should expand our current Solarwinds to cover log analysis, but splunk may be better for that given the size of our WAN.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Peaking of dubious branding. The local supermarket is running a promotion on SMEG brand knives.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Peaking of dubious branding. The local supermarket is running a promotion on SMEG brand knives.

how sharp is that compared to the cum knife?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I have a work related question. Is it possible to lock a PDF against editing in such a way that the lock can't be easily bypassed? My work needs to find a way to lock down specific PDF files as "originals" and while going forward we may use a full digital signature system they are also looking for a way to have relatively secure pdf scans of older documents and also the documents we scan/produce before the digital signature system is in place. I know that PDFs have some basic security, but I also know it has been relatively easy to bypass and edit in the past.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

now now

it's not just the knives

but the fancy knife block as well.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Most academic departments I've been in have at least had a christmas bash of some kind. Bonuses are definitely not a thing though

I know that some of my friends on quantum key exchange / computing have an annual bonus which is calculated via arcane means. They were confused when it started happening. I'm not sure which funding body is responsible.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    My contract was just about due so I went into some hard negotiations with management

First time in my life I negotiated for a raise

In the end?

25% raise bringing me up to around 2,450 USD after taxes, plus 25% more throughout the year in non salaried bonuses: car insurance, utility bills, study/training fund and a one time expanses grant for "home office supplies"

I would consider this A Good Result

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Bonuses are relatively uncommon here, specially fixed ones that are just like extra salary. I think the unions usually make sure that it's just included in regular salary.

At my last company we had annual bonuses based on individual billing, which was great for some of us financially but lead to some pretty shit behaviours like depriotizing helping each other and trying to avoid clients with a low hourly rate.
    Now we use a model where a percentage of the company result is distributed as bonuses, with a slightly larger share based on seniority. Makes for a much nicer company culture.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Nobody has even mentioned the fact that I wasn't in yesterday. Nice to know I'm missed.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Nobody has even mentioned the fact that I wasn't in yesterday. Nice to know I'm missed.
    Better than getting yelled at for missing a day when you didn't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have been showing up super late to work and finally got a one on one talking to from my lead. Could have been worse. He wasn't a jerk about it and I know I need to show up on time. But my bed is so comfy. Oh well, I'm here nice and early today, woke up well before my alarm went off.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Rumor has it the one missing worker in the receiving group came to work positive last week.

Management is keeping it hushed up, no staff members have been told officially, no one had been tested, just self screened every day for symptoms

It's especially horrifying because this is at a hospital system

I'm calling HR, I guess, as soon as I can get away from desk

I should call the department of health too

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

"Make a splash with Bhuka's Cakes! Suitable for any occasion!"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So we gave every student an ipad. If it is broken "accidentally" it is covered under apple care. But if it is lost or stolen the student/parent would be charged for the replacement cost unless they paid this $20 insurance fee. Many of our students did pay it but some just can not afford it. Luckily we only now had out first lost/stolen ipad. I am in charge of the spreadsheet listing who paid and, whoops, looks like that student definitely paid that insurance in advance. Yup. I totally didn't just change it myself so they are covered. Nope.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    So today my district started requiring 2FA for logging into the VPN, internal job board, plus anything relating to HR/payroll stuff. This was rolled out last week to VPN users, no issue. Then pushed to the district as a whole this morning in the form of an email to sign up for this service.

Problem number 1) There was no District communication to all users as a whole to expect this email from an external source. I knew the implementation was coming from internal tech communication, but I had not realized that the first communication my users would have was from an external email. I've had half my staff asking me if it's legit this morning, and the other half simply reporting it to InfoSec directly.

Upside? I've got them well trained on being suspicious of emails!

Problem number 2) The solution the district chose requires downloading an app to a personal cell phone that uses push notifications for the 2FA. This would be a first for a wide scale requirement by the district to use personal devices for any common work related purpose. Reception is exactly what should be rightfully expected in my opinion. I'm not fucking putting an app on my personal device for work reasons no matter how well-justified the end-purpose of the app is.

Anyway my email is blowing up from THAT realization, both from my staff and from email groups around the district. Holy shit it's bad. Overwhelmingly negative. 275 emails in the last 90 minutes.

The higher ups response is amazingly tone-deaf. They're just repeating they're security justifications and requirements. Like, yes, nobody is disagreeing that those are good things. Every single objection being raised is about requiring an app on a personal device for common work-related reasons and every reply and subsequent communication from the powers-that-be completely ignores that, focusing on reasons security and secure logins only.

The exact same people that spent weeks lecturing us on the change curve and how to get people to accept a change and tactics for talking to people about their specific concerns when it came to dropping the Office Suite license for the entire District (a two year process) have thrown all of that out the window on this.

For my part I forwarded my staff the mildly hidden directions on signing up using a landline, which is intended for people without a smartphone, so that the service simply calls them and gives directions for authenticating the login. It's annoying and stupid, but it has calmed many of them down.

When I tried to raise this to the powers-that-be by saying this specific set of instructions has calmed down a lot of my users, they just kept hitting me with the copy-pasted "Why 2FA?" responses and ignored what I was trying to tell them.

It almost feels like there was a breach they're not telling us about or a near miss or something and there's some upper-level panic rather than just updating security protocols to be more standard.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah they are going to do some 2FA thing in my district soon with an app but we all have our issued ipads we can put the app on instead of our own phones, but the exact same reaction was had. I'm not putting that app on my personal device.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    expendable wrote: »
    It almost feels like there was a breach they're not telling us about or a near miss or something and there's some upper-level panic rather than just updating security protocols to be more standard.

Or they're simply being pig-headed and pointy-haired. "We have made our decision and a policy, you Will adhere to it."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    On the department chat: "People need to stop whining about this. Either be part of modern society or don't." "People whine about one small app that just pushes one notification but don't care about Facebook or Candy Crush harvesting data on their phone."

This behavior is out of left-field from my perspective of this department.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Trying to alphabetize at work and oh boy.. Maybe I don;t really need to do that. Maybe I can just put everything in a binder randomly. I'm the only one who will ever need to look at these. Future me will just have to deal with trying to find the right one while the auditor is breathing down my neck.. that'll be fine..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Technical interviews today and tomorrow. Despite it possibly being the wrong thing to study, I'm once again making sure I have my common network ports memorized, as well as being able to pull up common Linux commands, and remembering what the 1xx, 2xx, 3xx codes for web pages mean. I still think this kind of memorization is dumb as shit since if I ever forget a command I just Google it like everybody else, but whatevs, this is what you have to do in IT these days.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    We also pushed 2FA out a few months ago. I'm sure I know what app it is you're talking about, which I already had and used for other shit so I just went "meh" and linked it. Most other people in my office just use the call version or passcode version, but we've got ubikeys for the USB ports to use now.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    So we gave every student an ipad. If it is broken "accidentally" it is covered under apple care. But if it is lost or stolen the student/parent would be charged for the replacement cost unless they paid this $20 insurance fee. Many of our students did pay it but some just can not afford it. Luckily we only now had out first lost/stolen ipad. I am in charge of the spreadsheet listing who paid and, whoops, looks like that student definitely paid that insurance in advance. Yup. I totally didn't just change it myself so they are covered. Nope.

Not all heroes wear capes, though some have been known to don a full WW1 uniform on occasion

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We use Duo 2FA and its worked pretty well, but I wasn't here when they rolled it out.

In good news for me, I read the schedule of days off wrong. I'm off Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, then the 29th, 30th, 31st, and the 1st

This is the first time ever I've had Christmas and New Years off in the same year. Hell last year I worked until 6 on both Eve's

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    And yet none of you (especially Tynnan) will get me that drum of SO3 I so kindly requested.

I know I'm going to regret this, but why do you want a barrel of sulfer trioxide

Remember how acid rain was a serious worry when we were kids, but then stupid government agencies around the world introduced anti-pollution regulations so now it's not really a thing?

Well, seeing as the 90s are cool again, here comes acid rain, motherfuckers! (courtesy of Pinfeldorf boiling a drum of SO3, so not actually a LOT of acid rain, and also mostly probably all over their own stuff)

Sometimes you just really gotta fuck up everything in your garage, you know?

I have a friend who was basically an unwise amateur chemist in his youth and once in an attempt to make thermite ended up fucking up the reaction and getting a bunch of chlorine gas instead. Essentially casting Globe of Rust in his bedroom.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'll repeat what I said last time 2FA came up in the job thread: I will happily put whatever app the company wants me to on the phone the company pays for.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

"Double frosted Bhuka Cakes! You'll love our cream filling!"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

I'm surprised your district doesn't cover them. My son's school sends that form home for the insurance and then says "if you can't pay, please let us know, we have a fund for that" or something similar. Basically, if you get reduced lunches they will probably be able to pay it for you.

Fun fact: apparently my apartment has had no heat since last week and we didn't notice. Yesterday, we realized it was sort of chilly and investigated and found no heat from the baseboards (but we had hot water). The landlord fixed it today and my desk space is so, so much more comfortable now.

Edited to reflect I had no HEAT not head.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    haha
    I was like "oh man I'm going to have to write a device class to simulate this sensor it's gonna be a pain but ok I guess" and then someone in my lab was like "oh so and so has already done that" so I'm like "brilliant can I have your shit you're the best"

and now I'm looking at his code and it turns out the device class already exists in the application and his contribution was to put some colours over the output
    which, no dig on the guy, don't reinvent the wheel, plus this still saves me time
    I'm just now less "wow you're a wizard" and more "...oh, it's that trivial, huh"

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Called in for my last team meeting and we're delaying start until after the all hands meeting. Ok, cool, thats like 5 minutes, no big deal...

but then why the fuck is someone 1. not on mute, and 2. blasting the all hands meeting at full volume???

So yeah, I got the fuck off that call, think I'll just email my update and enjoy my peace and quiet.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

"Double frosted Bhuka Cakes! You'll love our cream filling!"

Cream covering. Just completely covered all over the top and dripping down the sides with extra frosting.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Technical interviews today and tomorrow. Despite it possibly being the wrong thing to study, I'm once again making sure I have my common network ports memorized, as well as being able to pull up common Linux commands, and remembering what the 1xx, 2xx, 3xx codes for web pages mean. I still think this kind of memorization is dumb as shit since if I ever forget a command I just Google it like everybody else, but whatevs, this is what you have to do in IT these days.

But what if you go to Google and it tells you 404? You'll never get anything done! /s

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Why does financial software make me feel so dumb?

I'm trying to investigate into why a specific data point isn't exporting properly. It's a computed column in a unidata database, meant to show the balances for an account for the current fiscal year in the general ledger summary. And yet.. I can't seem to find this data or figure out the relationship between it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.