As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

11516171820

Posts

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    How's everyone's stats? We ok with a short rest or need a long one? I'm fine with a short rest.

    Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    Short rest is fine for Yona. Are we able to spend healing surges any time outside combat? e: Ah ok after a short rest. So yeah let's do that.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Elvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Scanning the tome, Ellandryn finds that the tome refers more to the mystical designs and formulas of the rituals. Either the author was comfortable enough to do without or kept them separately.

    The runes are easily withdrawn once the portal closes.

    You can take a short rest, spending as many healing surges as you wish to restore that much health.

    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Lex burns 2 surges to heal to full during short rest.

    Lexan'dar Combat Info
    AC: 19 | Fort: 13 | Reflex: 18 | Will: 16
    HP: 39 | Surges: 4/7 | Surge Value: 9
    Speed: 6 | Initiative: 6 | Action Point: 0

    POWERS
    A Sly Flourish (M/R, 12 vs AC, 1d4+10 dam)
    A Piercing Strike (M, 12 vs Ref, 1d4+6 dam)
    _ Dazing Strike (M, 12 vs AC, 1d4+6 dam, target Dazed till End Of My Next Turn)
    _ Low Slash (Minor) (M, 12 vs Ref, 1d4+6, slide target 1, Slowed until EOMNT, if flanking +4 damage)
    X Trick Strike (M/R, 12 vs AC, 3d4+6, Until End Of The Encounter: slide target 1 square each time you hit)

    Elvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    The effects of Ioun's power recede and Korri comes to as if waking from a trance. He pauses a moment to catch his breath and take in his surroundings.

    "Well, looks like we won? That was a bit unexpected through at least we know a little bit more about this world than we did before. Those infernalists on the other side of the portal clearly are not up to good and I don't think we've seen the last of them. Still, we have a task to accomplish and still need to press onward to recover the tools that Moradin is seeking."

    Spend 1 healing surge to heal back up to 48/48. Healing Surges 4/7.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    Yona binds her stab wound with a poultice. You can't see her face but she still seems to be radiating irritation. "What a nasty device. We should destroy it and let the forest reclaim this ruin." The summoned wolf pads its way behind her figure and seems to vanish as it passes out of line of sight.

    Spend 1 healing surge, 40/41 HP, 8/9 healing surges remain.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    By the time you have finished resting and binding your rooms most of the heat has dissipated, although the basement retains much of the humity generated by the steam cloud. All told perhaps half an hour has passed since you first made your way down the steps.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Not sure what Bos' stats are at currently. I have a busy day of work ahead but afterwards I will scan the thread and see if I can recreate Bos's HP, surges, etc and make up a combat info block for him. Will make it easier if we are going to continue to pilot him.

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Spend 2 surges to get back to full, 8/12 surges remaining.

    "So, what the hell was that? Was it another world? It wasn't the old world was it?"

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "If the wizard can't tell, I doubt we'll be able to distinguish. Well, Elladryn?" @Elvenshae

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 30
    Oh wait I'm actually pretty good at this

    Geth roll 1d20+11 for Arcana Check

    Swordmages are the best muscle wizards I love this class

    Arcana Check:
    1d20+11 22 [1d20=11]

    captaink on
    JPantsElvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 31
    @captaink

    Sinnder’s read on the arcane energies channeled through the portal gives her the impression that the rift was simply sundering two points on this world, rather than extraplanar.

    Travel between worlds or planes would likely require more energy channeled than she saw on display.

    Also, at the end of the short rest I need everyone that was hit by the spray from a purple people eater to make an endurance check DC 16.

    Kelor on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    "That portal, it didn't go somewhere else, it simply went somewhere on this world. That is...alarming. We are not alone on this new world".

    Geth roll 1d20+13 for endurance check

    endurance check:
    1d20+13 31 [1d20=18]

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited March 31
    Holy heckfire I did not think i was gonna make that DC after I saw the edit!
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for DC 16 Endurance

    DC 16 Fort:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

    JPants on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    I went thru and tried to track Bos' HP the best I could. I also typed up a combat block for him in case we need to keep piloting him, will make it easier to track what's been used.

    He burned 2 surges to get up to 43/46. @Kelor I assume temp hitpoints wear off at some point?


    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Bos vs 16 Endurance

    Bos Combat Info
    AC: 20 | Fort: 16 | Reflex: 15 | Will: 18
    HP: 43+6/46 | Surges: 6/9-1 | Surge Value: 12
    Speed: 6 | Initiative: 4 | Action Point: 1

    POWERS
    A Word of Diminishment (M, 11 vs AC, 1d8+5 dam,RoP- Until EONT -1 to dam rolls, RoD- Until EONT vuln 2 all, vuln 5 AoO)
    A Word of Exchange (M, 11 vs AC, 1d8+5 dam, RoP- Until EONT -2 all defenses, first ally to attack gets +4AC, RoD- Until EONT next ally attack gts +4 dam +4 temp HP)
    _ Rune of Mending (Minor, Close burst 5, you or 1 ally, Spend healing Surge, RoP- you & allies +1 all defenses until EONT, RoD- you & allies +2 dam Until EONT) 2 uses
    _ Executioner's Call (M, 11 vs AC, 1d8+5, allies +2 dam against target EONT, RoP- target -2 attack EONT, RoD- Ally within 5 +4 attack against target before SONT)
    _ Word of the Blinding Shield (Interupt, Close burst 5, Enemy attacks ally: 11 vs Fort, Blind target until EO their NT, RoP-ally gets +1 temp HP, RoD- target +1 radiant dam)
    _ Shield of Sacrifice (Minor, Close burst 5, you or ally in burst, target loses a healing surge, 1 or 2 allies w/in 5 squares of target regain HP as if healing surge. Target and each ally healed +5 AC EONT)
    _ Rune of Endless Fire (M, 11 vs AC, 2d8+5 fire/radiant, Blind EONT, Miss=half dam, Effect= until EOEnc gain +2 dam, attacks deal fire/rad, +4 temp HP when granted)
    X Inspiring Word (Minor, Close burst 5, you or ally- spend Heal Surge + 1d6)
    X Shield of Devotion (Interupt, Ally within 5 takes damage from attack, ally regains +4hp, Until EONT you get +2 attack against attacker)

    Bos vs 16 Endurance:
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]

    JPants on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    @Korror

    As you bind wounds and take a moment after the intense physical exhaustion of close combat, you splash some water across the burns from the acidic bile splashed over you from the purple creatures that now lie spread across the floor.

    As Bos uses a damp piece of cloth to wipe it away, he senses the skin underneath gets rougher. The acid has partially burned away hair from the minotaur’s hide and now the skin looks raw and angry. A rising series of blisters can be seen, the flesh slightly scaley and crystallised. Silver and gold veins show through.

    Anyone afflicted by this disease loses one healing surge from their maximum. At the start of the next extended rest they must make an endurance check to combat it.

    JPantsElvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I forgot I got hit by that in round 1. Making my endurance check now.

    Geth Roll 1d20+2

    Do we want to bring Bos along with us? It looks like Joshgo is MIA so maybe we should send Bos back to Dawnbreak so we don't have to continue playing his character. It will be a bit rougher without a leader type and most of our dailies expended but we can always cut and run if we get overwhelmed.

    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I'm fine with pretty much any course with regard to Bos: send him back, play him till he returns, DM plays him, etc.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Korror, if you think you might want to try the spear, go for it, imo. I think you and Bos are probably the only ones with proficiency? If you don't end up liking it we can always melt it when we get back to Dawnbreak.

    Otherwise I think I got the loot claims below. Can anyone even use the chainmail? Versatile is a pretty neat keyword.

    LEX - Bloodcut Leather Armour +1 840gp
    ???? - Versatile Chainmail Armour +1 680gp
    ??/KORRI - Flaming Longspear +2 5000gp
    LEX - Deathstalker Dagger +1 840gp
    SINNDER/KORRI - 2x Amulet of Protection +1 360gp

    Elvenshae
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm leather and cloth only, the nimble dodgy kind of tank

  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I did the math and it's not any better than my +1 fullblade. I'd rather just stow it for now and melt it down when we get back to Dawnbreak. That 5k worth of residuum will be much more effective than my using the spear. .

    Korri looks a bit worse for wear as well after his encounter with the disease-ridden deamons. Healing Surges 4/6 . "We should not linger here any longer than we need to. Bos and I both seem to be aflicted and the sooner we get back to Dawnbreak and a healer the better".

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    So I decided to skim back thru the thread and write up a barebones summary of what we've encountered/learned. It's got our open hooks at the top, the current map, and a really basic summary of our journey so far. Let me know if there's anything I missed or got wrong.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EW93c6RNVXXsDpbmNwtTPuOCqRxtfsjgyiTRYQyj9y8/edit?usp=sharing

    One thing I noticed upon re-reading the thread is that after we crossed the river the path turned West to get to this tower and we were trying to go East. Once we leave here we should head back and start bushwhacking if we want to go after those tools still.

    @Kelor I assume we can take extended rests in the wild if we don't make it back to Dawnbreak by the time we need one (I also assume sleeping in the woods has it's own issues), is that correct?

    JPants on
    BahamutZEROcaptaink
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    @jpants You can absolutely take breaks in the Wilds, you don't need to feel too tethered to Dawnbreak. It's a helpful place for resources and services like translation or dis/enchanting gear but it is static. There isn't much there to find or discover.

    On the subject of enchanting, since it seems like that's the path the spear is headed down. In Dawnbreak you can get magic items broken down into their cost in residuum. Once you have raw residuum that is native to this world artisans can fashion it into magical items for you. Any item that is listed as common in the database here you can have enchanted.

    Kelor on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    So I decided to skim back thru the thread and write up a barebones summary of what we've encountered/learned. It's got our open hooks at the top, the current map, and a really basic summary of our journey so far. Let me know if there's anything I missed or got wrong.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EW93c6RNVXXsDpbmNwtTPuOCqRxtfsjgyiTRYQyj9y8/edit?usp=sharing

    One thing I noticed upon re-reading the thread is that after we crossed the river the path turned West to get to this tower and we were trying to go East. Once we leave here we should head back and start bushwhacking if we want to go after those tools still.

    @Kelor I assume we can take extended rests in the wild if we don't make it back to Dawnbreak by the time we need one (I also assume sleeping in the woods has it's own issues), is that correct?

    This is awesome, super helpful.



    Sinnder believes the group should push on an accomplish its original stated mission of retrieving the tools before returning to Dawnbreak. She is neither for or against the idea of camping in the woods.

    Also Kelor let me say that fight was awesome. I know it took a long time but them having a few different special abilities and the rising tension was really cool.

    I also think the format updates of posting defenses, HP, bloodied/dead special abilities worked pretty well, as did the dynamic map.

    ElvenshaeJPantsBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

    Sinnder believes the group should push on an accomplish its original stated mission of retrieving the tools before returning to Dawnbreak. She is neither for or against the idea of camping in the woods.

    Also Kelor let me say that fight was awesome. I know it took a long time but them having a few different special abilities and the rising tension was really cool.

    I also think the format updates of posting defenses, HP, bloodied/dead special abilities worked pretty well, as did the dynamic map.

    Can't agree with this hard enough! Fantastic fight, I was legit worried for a couple rounds there. I think Sinnder only stayed up due to resistances even. Love the changes to combat, it was going very smooth compared to the first fight (when I was re-reading the thread that fight was very difficult to read/follow.

    Assuming @Elvenshae doesn't need to burn any surges during the Short Rest it looks like we're ready to move on, unless there's something more in this room people want to investigate.


    Having healed, swapped out his armor, and cleaned and sheathed his weapons, Lex begins looking around with a slightly impatient air as he waits for the rest of the team to ready to continue their journey.

    BahamutZERO
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I'm glad you both enjoyed it! I went with what we decided as far as open stat blocks and then did an extra layer for the tougher enemies. I wasn't sure if it would be too complex to track but I think it worked out pretty well. Expect more things in the future!

    And I appreciate everyone updating the combat log, it makes it much faster for me to gather everything together for the start of round updates when it's directly above what I'm typing.

    Although Sinnder's AC was absolutely ludicrous, the spined creatures basically needed a 18+ on a roll to touch her.

    I wasn't sure if you were going to activate the portal or not.

    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed clowning on those spiny dorks

    JPantsKelorElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if you were going to activate the portal or not.

    C'mon, we're D&D players. There was, like, a 1.5% chance we wouldn't play with the obviously dangerous shiny thing.

    I'll spend a surge to top myself off.


    After removing the runestones from the portal, after it shuts down, Ellandryn collects the others. "I think we should not leave the keys to the gate laying about; we should bring them with us, for further study, and to prevent ... those less careful ... from opening doorways that they shouldn't."

    JPantsKelorcaptainkBahamutZERO
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "Less careful than what? A bunch of adventurers who found a mysterious portal and started putting runes in it at random?" Yona snarks as she heads back up to the surface.

    BahamutZERO.gif
    JPantsElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    "Look on the bright side", Lex says as he follows Yona up the stairs, shielding his eyes from the sudden sunlight as he emerges and looks around. "If we ever run out of errands to run and places to explore we can start trying rune combos and see what other kind of trouble we can get in to!"

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    When we head back East I will continue my "sneaky scouting from just off the path" shtick, as long as there *is* a path.

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Less careful than what? A bunch of adventurers who found a mysterious portal and started putting runes in it at random?" Yona snarks as she heads back up to the surface.

    "Yes, the possibility beggars the imagination, but hope springs eternal."

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Above ground the sun filters through the trees above, steadily baking the remaining dampness from the steam out of your cloths and armour. The charred stone of the tower rises into the air and along the gentle downwards slope the masonry noted earlier can be seen strewn out across the arcing path north east.

    From this higher position the view to the north you can see the wall of ferns continues here as well. You can make out snatches of grassland to the southeast over the shifting treetops. It is difficult to judge given you are roughly at the same level but the forest seems to extend two miles further.

    BahamutZEROElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 5
    Kelor wrote: »
    The trail fades somewhat after crossing the water, becoming rougher, marked more by the consistent space between trees than being worn with use. It heads south briefly, before swinging in a long rising arc to the west for almost three miles. The grass becomes bumpier, inconsistent, rocky. Eventually you come to realise that they're not just rocks, but masonry. As you continue on, you begin to see the squat remains of a tower's structure. Black scorchmarks scar the remaining blockwork, which now stands only waist high. Great clawmarks have gouged the stonework, the resulting violence of which you've been walking over for the past fifteen minutes.

    I'm confused, it sounds like we went West after crossing the river but now that description you just posted says the trail continues East? Was there a typo or am I thinking too hard and you're describing the path back to where we crossed the river as heading East?

    Also is there a tree here we could climb to get above the tree-line and get our bearings?

    JPants on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    After crossing the river you followed a wide, arcing path that took you south-west that ended at the ruined tower surrounded by more woodland. The above description is describing the path back from the perspective of looking east from the tower.

    And yes, plenty of redwood and oak about to climb.

    JPants
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I'll pass on the climb for now but good to know in case we get lost.

    I say we head towards those grasslands to the SE?

    captaink
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Sounds good to me. I'm actually really lost, I have no head for directions even in real life and with a map so I'm just going to follow you guys and hope you know where we're going.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    BahamutZERO
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    With an end to the forest now sighted the prospect of plunging into thick tree growth is not as daunting a prospect as it seemed previously. Somewhere beyond the treeline ahead lies open land with skies uncramped by the tall trees that try to crowd each other out for sunlight. A swishing sound of some sort of ground animal fleeing through the grass rustles upon arriving at the base of the slope.

    @Korror @captaink @JPants @Elvenshae @BahamutZERO Someone mind making a nature check for me?

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    I'm happy to make one as a stopgap, but this is really Yona's bag. :D

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Nature exists to be sculpted and tended

    ED: Bwahahahah.

    Nature exists to be sculpted and tended:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]

    Elvenshae on
    JPants
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    fuck off with your sculpting and tending, elf!

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+12 for untamed nature which we are all merely motes upon

    untamed nature which we are all merely motes upon:
    2d20k1+12 32 [2d20k1=[20], 6]

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    JPantsElvenshae
Sign In or Register to comment.