As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

11617181921

Posts

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah eat shit

    BahamutZERO.gif
    JPantsElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I am slain.

    JPants
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I believe the kids call that "rekt"

    Elvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    With Yona at the head of the group, (and Ellandryn backseat navigating) passage is swift and painless. At every turn where thick brush seems an obstacle the druid finds a break or trail to make smooth out the travelling and avoid losing time.

    It takes just half an hour to reach the forest’s edge, the woods gradually getting lighter as they begin to thin. Birdsong begins to dim at the forest’s edge and a gentle downslope provides an expansive view.

    Vast grassland stretches in every direction as far as the eye can see, interspersed with hills both large and small. Strands of trees dot the landscape and a shimmering to the east and south east reveals the exit of the river from the valley. Tributaries run from it, providing sustenance to grass it snakes through. In contrast other areas feature just torn rocks and earth

    Rather than the hundreds of birds in the forest, those to be seen here are more solitary, barely a handful wheel about high in searching for prey to swoop upon.

    Upon the plains even at what is a considerable distance enormous creatures roam in herds feeding upon the abundance of grass. Some seem armoured, plates run down their backs, others sprout horns from head or tail, others still so tall and long necked they feed from tree tops.

    tw99agmyk0cj.png

    Kelor on
    BahamutZEROJPantsElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Can we see the top of the giant Redwood from here? or the mountains of Dawnbreak's valley? If not I'd like to climb one of the taller trees in the area and see if I can get those and any other landmarks in view, figure out what direction they are in (for mapping purposes). Also looking to see if I can see the hills that should be SE of Dawnbreak.
    Geth roll 1d20+10 for Tree climbing with climber's kit

    Tree climbing with climber's kit:
    1d20+10 18 [1d20=8]

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    @JPants

    Lex easily makes his way to the top of one of the taller redwoods at the boundaries of the forest. From his perch atop he can make out the towering redwood almost directly north, judging by the sun.

    A row of peaks, surely those that shelter Dawnbreak can be seen reaching off roughly parallel to the tree line east. A river flows from them, joining another that appears to be runoff from the mountains.

    Several potential hills can be seen, one large one directly south of Lex, two small chains south east and another right at the limits of the horizon past those. Although the forest limits the view there appears to be more to the west.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    As Lex reaches solid ground after having climbed the tree he relates his findings to the group. That should help our resident map maker a bit.

    "My guess is those far hills are the ones with the tools, judging by Dawnbreak's location. Shall we head straight there or check out that big one south of here first?"

    Lex will go along with the group but leans towards exploring along the way. Plus the large hill might give us more info on the surrounding areas. Thoughts @Elvenshae @captaink @BahamutZERO @Korror

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Large hill first

    JPantsBahamutZEROElvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    One is just as good as another. All we know about the location of the tools is that they're "deep in the hills" and they have been "taken by a group of savages that lust for blood." I would imagine that it would be easier to find the group of savages rather than tools which could be anywhere in these hills.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    JPantsElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Large hill to the S it is then! @Kelor

    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Tall swaying grass covers the mile between the forest's edge and the start of the hill with occasional clear patches or trails where the great beasts have grazed on or passed through.

    Given that you are able to see them before descending from the forest you can avoid them if you wish to.

    Morning dew on the grass of the hill soaks the outer layer of your boots, the physical exertion almost pleasant once out in the full sun after the perpetual coolness of the forest.


    The journey up the gentle slope of the hill takes ten minutes, but the vista at the top grants a sweeping view of the land about. The other side of the hill drops off steeply to form a sheltered alcove and inside at the centre a large gazebo like structure can seen made of white stone, although its surface appears dirty and worn with age. Spaced perhaps thirty feet away a ring of rocks form a circle around it. There is no uniformity to it, they form rough door ways, two stone pillars with another resting atop. Some plinths stand alone, either singly or in pairs with nothing to support. Think Stonehenge.

    Water glitters both to the east and west and with the addtional height it becomes easier to trace the path from the river that emerges from the forest. It wends it's way southeast before joining with another flow and becomes a raging torrent that is swallowed in a canyon and disappears from view. A stretch of swampcan be seen to the east as well, created by one of the smaller tributaries that split away from the main river. What appear to be a small group of huts populate the edge of the water.

    South west a large peak rises higher than even the one , blocking off any views beyond it and rising even higher than the hill upon which you stand. The headless figure of a woman has been carved out of the side of the mountain reaching hundreds of feet into the air and adorned in simple robes. A staff is set into the ground and she holds it in front of her with both arms outstretched.

    The southern view reveals a few groves of trees dispersed amonst the grass, along with some sections of rough scarred earth. Far to the south the dead and dying fingers of twisted trees reach out of a marsh, while closer to the SW what appears to be a manorhouse has been constructed on the shore of a neaby lake.

    Northhwest a range of hill block your view. The river here rambles at a more sedate pace, but spreads far wider than it's sister to the east, pooling into lakes before disappearing into the swamp to the south.

    vd6qqthgagz5.jpg

    Kelor on
    JPantsElvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I was half asleep when I posted this last night and missed some details, so please reread if you had read it already!

    JPantsElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    "Looks like we got something interesting to check out right nearby, some kind of shrine or something maybe? Let's get a closer look!" Lex blurts out, after several silent minutes taking in the beautiful vista they've stumbled across.

    "And we've got a couple signs of life (or former life) in sight as well! You know a good fancy house like that always has some hidden baubles and trinkets and even a few secrets...", his voice trailing off as his eyes stay locked on the distance lake house.

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    "Suddenly this world seems...rather inhabited. Let's see what this little stone structure is downhill"

    That is a lot of geo-info. Enough to keep us busy for a bit.

    JPantsElvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    JPants wrote: »
    "Looks like we got something interesting to check out right nearby, some kind of shrine or something maybe? Let's get a closer look!" Lex blurts out, after several silent minutes taking in the beautiful vista they've stumbled across.

    "And we've got a couple signs of life (or former life) in sight as well! You know a good fancy house like that always has some hidden baubles and trinkets and even a few secrets...", his voice trailing off as his eyes stay locked on the distance lake house.

    "Who has the time or resources to build a manor house so far away from civilization? I am suspicious of whoever dwells there. The standing stones seem worth checking out as we're nearby and those huts off in the distance may be the savages we were searching for through I'd rather use stealth and caution if we can. We are somewhat drained from our last encounter and who knows what their numbers may be."

    Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    JPantsElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    "Stealth you say....." Lex replies with a not so subtle grin on his face. "That can be arranged!"

    JPants on
    Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yona expresses no opinion and silently follows the others' lead.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Apologies for spotty availability this week; my company has apparently decided that this is the week to pick all the fights, so I've been working up briefing docs for lawyers and CEOs and senior VPs and seriously just fireball me now.

    Korri ponders, "Who has the time or resources to build a manor house so far away from civilization? I am suspicious of whoever dwells there."

    And Ellandryn answers, thoughtfully. "As well you might! I can think of several reasons to do so - dangerous research, a desire to be left well alone, a civilization that was once much closer but has fallen away - and most of them argue that we should be wary, at best."

    After the others indicate their desire to investigate the standing stones, Ellandryn agrees. "Yes, these are mysterious, interesting, and, above all, right here." As the group approaches the stones, Ellandryn holds out a hand, requesting the others to stop. "If you will permit me ..." Ellandryn falls into a quick trance, his eyes opening to the world beyond the mundane, searching out any mystical patterns in the stones before him.

    Sense Magic once we get close enough for a 10-square range to cover most of the interesting stuff. @Kelor , you can make any necessary Arcana rolls (+13 bonus, +14 if it's Portal-related! :D) and let me know what shows up. Also, for some reason, my Character Builder app has fritzed, and it thinks Howling Wall, Beguiling Strands, Wind Blade, and Sense Magic are houseruled powers with no rules text, so that's going to be fun to fix.

    JPants
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's been a bit that way for me too, turns out buying/moving takes up a fair bit of my time and I know updates aren't coming as often as I'd expected.

    By neccesity the steepness of the slope forces a longer and more shallow path to the base of the far side of the hill. The circular structure is raised slightly, it's while surface occasionally spotted with moss that marrs the smooth whiteness. You get the impression that that more than anything else, this is enduring. It wears the weight of years upon it.

    The irregular outer circle of stone has a similar sense of aged-ness to it, yet the makeup is of what appears to be rock rather than marble.

    As Ellandryn casts out his senses, they confirm that this is not just a ritualistic set of stones or defensive barrier. Magic flows through the shapes with a low thrum of arcane life.

    Golems.

    Kelor on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    It's been a bit that way for me too, turns out buying/moving takes up a fair bit of my time and I know updates aren't coming as often as I'd expected.

    By neccesity the steepness of the slope forces a longer and more shallow path to the base of the far side of the hill. The circular structure is raised slightly, it's while surface occasionally spotted with moss that marrs the smooth whiteness. You get the impression that that more than anything else, this is enduring. It wears the weight of years upon it.

    The irregular outer circle of stone has a similar sense of aged-ness to it, yet the makeup is of what appears to be rock rather than marble.

    As Ellandryn casts out his senses, they confirm that this is not just a ritualistic set of stones or defensive barrier. Magic flows through the shapes with a low thrum of arcane life.

    Golems.

    Dude, the whole house buying/moving thing is all absorbing! Huge life changes will do that. Don't fret too much. I can't speak to the others but I'll be here whenever you've got the time (PA forums are basically my default homepage, and i've got this thread bookmarked for updates)

    Are all the outer stones magic/golems or just some of them? How many stones we talking?

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    This is kind of my release valve for all that sort of thing, so I am enjoying it. One of my real life groups has swapped over to Aladrion and has been exploring for a couple of weeks now.

    Ellandryn can sense animating magic running throughout the ring of stones. There are perhaps fifteen in various stats of disrepair.

    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Am I sensing anything that indicates whether these golems are ready to pop up if we get too close, or are they more like command-activated?

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Ellandryn suspects the magic suggests the former, but standing 40 feet away has not set them off.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    How big are these stones?

    Also the area is pretty much open grass besides the hill, stones, and gazebo, right? No where to hide/cover

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    @JPants

    Oh, that was poor work on my part. No cover, these are pretty much open plains. The hill looks exactly like the one in the photo above and then the gazebo and ring of stones are sort of nestled in it's hollow.

    The stones that make up the ring vary from around 15 to 25 feet tall at their highest and appear to be some sort of white granite as best you can tell.


    Kelor on
    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I am going to assume that Ellandryn has shared his findings with the group and move us to the planning stage.
    "So we've got some giant golems most likely ready to fight us if we get too close. Hmmmm.... Wizard, can you tell if these stones are one stone per golem, or they are made up of multiple stones each? Specifically I'm wondering about their legs...Maybe we can use some rope to trip them up and give us an advantage. You know what they say, the bigger they are, etc, etc."

    Lex's specific thought is that maybe we could either tie up the legs of a golem (if their legs are each a different stone), or tie a couple golems together (if each golem is a single stone). Maybe use Mage Hand to do the tying without getting close enough to trigger them. Either that or maybe set up some trip wires we can lead them to. IDK, that was the first place my thought went to.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    And i totally meant to signal everyone @Elvenshae @BahamutZERO @Korror @captaink @joshgotro

  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Why are we fighting them? I don't see any reason to unless you think they're guarding something important. I think we should just check out the ring and if the golems activate, beat a quick retreat. Golems are generally slow and if they're guarding something here they seem unlikely to pursue. Knowledge is power but I don't see any reason to pick a fight if we don't need to.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    captaink
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yonan concurs with caution, we don't have any specific reason to pick a fight here.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Korror wrote: »
    Why are we fighting them? I don't see any reason to unless you think they're guarding something important. I think we should just check out the ring and if the golems activate, beat a quick retreat. Golems are generally slow and if they're guarding something here they seem unlikely to pursue. Knowledge is power but I don't see any reason to pick a fight if we don't need to.

    Thats a good point. We could just mark this down as something to come back to. Personally I (player, not character) just want to explore and learn everything I can so my snap reaction is "of course I want to see what's up with this old ass gazebo" but the Lex would definitely be ok adding it to the list of call backs and moving on. But to answer your question, I (and Lex) absolutely assume they are guarding something important, both due to the descriptions given, and the fact that you don't ring an ancient gazebo with golems for no reason.

    Also once the image of a golem falling over like an AT-AT on Hoth popped into my head that was all I could focus on...

    JPants on
    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Okay, if you want to leave the gazebo for now where would you like to make for next?

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    "Let sleeping, uh, golems lie, I say"

    There were more hills that we thought might contain the tools, right? The ones further SE? I'd like to wrap that loose end up before getting too deep into these others.

  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    We saw a bunch of huts from the top of the hill. I vote we check them out to see if they're the savages mentioned that have taken the tools we're looking for.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    JPantscaptainkBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    captaink wrote: »
    "Let sleeping, uh, golems lie, I say"

    There were more hills that we thought might contain the tools, right? The ones further SE? I'd like to wrap that loose end up before getting too deep into these others.

    Either that or head East to the group of huts that are a little closer and see if they know anything about the savages that have the tools.

    Ninj'd by Korror! But I agree, huts are a good stop on the way to the hills.

    JPants on
    captainkBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    @Kelor Looks like we are heading towards the small swamp adjacent village. As we get close I would like to try and approach/investigate it stealthily

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Recalling the village was to the north east, you set off across the plains to find it. Dry grass ripples with the wind in front of your advance. At one point a hawk, speckled with brown and purple makes a spectacular dive before rising back up in to the air with a small animal clutched in it's talons.

    Roughly a mile from the hill, a large herd of the one of the types of reptilian beasts spotted from the edge of the forest grazes ahead upon the grass and leaves amongst a small copse of woods, their long necks affording them reach amongst the boughs. One of them turns it's head ponderously as the others feed, scanning the area about.

    Torn earth, dry, rough and cracked extends to their right in a wide but shallow gully, perhaps the remnants of a dry river bed.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Lets avoid these guys for now? They may be herbivores but that doesn't mean they can't stomp us. Divert thru the dry riverbed?

    captainkElvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I also say that we avoid them unless one of our more nature oriented colleagues tells us that they're safe.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Previously ...

    "These stones ... They aren't just standing stones. They're animated - probably guardians of some sort. The magic is ... old, and the years have worn at them. They are likely to react if we get close enough, and I cannot yet say whether they would merely wait for us to provide a passphrase or attack immediately. Possibly, they were supposed to do the former, but the magic has degraded enough that they would do the latter. I would recommend ..."
    JPants wrote: »
    I am going to assume that Ellandryn has shared his findings with the group and move us to the planning stage.
    "So we've got some giant golems most likely ready to fight us if we get too close. Hmmmm.... Wizard, can you tell if these stones are one stone per golem, or they are made up of multiple stones each? Specifically I'm wondering about their legs...Maybe we can use some rope to trip them up and give us an advantage. You know what they say, the bigger they are, etc, etc."

    "Several of the stones, together, make up a single golem, and from where I am standing it appears that not all of the stones make up golems - though it's possible that they are too far away or their magic too drained to sense. I think it best for us to return when we have more time, for a more detailed investigation. Animating rock, and having the spell last long enough that the rocks themselves have been damaged by the elements, is powerful magic - maybe the equal of that which drove the portal we recently toyed with. I would not repeat the same mistake here," the elf says with dry humor suffusing his voice. As the other members of the party weigh in, suggesting they return another day, the elf nods in enthusiastic agreement.

    Elvenshae on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Currently ...

    "Yona, what say you? Do these creatures seem at all familiar to you?"

Sign In or Register to comment.