[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

12467

Posts

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+8 14 [1d20=6]

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Ellandryn, what you took to be a knot on the willow is in fact a male human head protruding from the tree. Trails of what you first take to be tears are in fact tree sap run from it’s eyes, streaking the face in a blood like stream.

    BahamutZEROjoshgotroElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is it anyone I recognize?

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Is it anyone I recognize?

    You do not recognise them, he has tattooed markings on his face, red and purple that converge to a point on his forehead.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Whelp, that's disturbing. Actually, can I make an Arcana check to identify what she appears to be? It can be used to identify Fey creatures. A Take 10 will get me at least her name, type, and keywords if she's a Fey or Elemental, unless she's Epic tier (which, you know, possible). :D Or, I can roll, if you'd prefer. Take whichever result works best for how you want to run this!

    Geth, roll 1d20+12 for Arcane knowledge of the Fey

    ucbdgdfs9snl.png

    Ellandryn does a quick series of mental exercises - taught to all novice mages - to clear the mind from distractions, pulling himself back from the brink of overload as the intricate web of primal energy tries to overwhelm his mystical senses.
    With a slow exhalation, he makes a mental note of the pattern on the face, in case it arises later, and the strength of the Willow-Ward. He is no longer as certain as he was that Eriphise is as on-the-level as she seemed - but, in reality, that should be expected when dealing with the Fey, as she appears to be. His mind clears rapidly, but he's almost certain Eriphise would have noticed it, this close.

    Ellandryn is extra careful as he collects the bead and closes it in the protective flask, bowing slightly in thanks to the Queen of the Woods.

    Arcane knowledge of the Fey:
    1d20+12 19 [1d20=7]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
    joshgotro
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Kelor wrote: »
    Eriphise gestures to the satyr at her side, his pipes still in one hand. "Tret is my servant."

    Bos takes a long look at Tret and closes the distance between them.

    "Nice horns, little one. Tell me of this creature taken by rage and pain."

    Updated map - still horrible
    IMG-20201222-170034671-01.jpg

    joshgotro on
    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
    JPantsElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Dueling maps!
    vea9s32a0x1b.png

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
    joshgotroJPantsKorror
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    "Likely your scouts ran afoul of the wasps last live throughout the woods. Their poison is mild, but deadens the limbs. As to their wounds I cannot say, there are any number that live here that could have inflicted them."

    Eriphise's tone becomes slightly clipped, and you get the impression that while she shares a purpose in the aid of Stone-Shoulders she tires of answering questions.

    "Thank you kind lady for the words of assistance. One final question before we go: Assuming we are able to find and help Stone-Shoulders, would you like us to send word to you of our success or would you prefer to be left alone once we have left your presence?"
    A note on timing - I'm not trying to hurry folks out of here despite saying "final question". More just trying to denote where in the flow of the conversation my comment/question would go. If that make sense.

    Elvenshaejoshgotro
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Ellandryn, you are fairly certain she is a nymph of some sort. To enchant an entire area like this marks her a powerful one.

    Tret stiffens slightly at the question, and answers in hushed tones. “My lady would not wish for me to speak of it, she considers the beast’s madness a failing of her duties. I can only echo her suggestion to avoid the area. It may be the most direct way to the tree, but the trails are far safer.”

    Eriphise on whenever you are ready to leave.

    “I appreciate your tact elfkind, but my attention is being held at present. But return to the foot of my garden if you manage to restore his health and give the call of a magpie. Tret will bring you a token of my appreciation.”

    She turns to the willow and Ellandryn feels the energy he sensed earlier surge into the tree and fill it. The long reeds of the tree sway is it does so.

    Anyone with a passive perception of 18 or higher years a slight gasp of pain come from the head protruding from the willow tree, followed by fresh sap flowing.

    joshgotroBahamutZEROElvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Passive perception is 10+bonus right? Yona notes the weird tree-face but does not mention it as she prepares to leave.

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Kelor
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So the Great Tree is south of Eriphise's Glade?

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
    joshgotroJPants
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    It is, when you entered the forest it was roughly due west ahead of you if that helps.

    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I'm ready to move on when others are. I say we regroup back where the trails branch and decide a course. No rush, just giving my ready signal

    ElvenshaeBahamutZEROcaptainkjoshgotro
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    It is, when you entered the forest it was roughly due west ahead of you if that helps.

    Perfectly.

    Ellandryn politely takes his leave from the powerful Nymph, careful to not stare too hard at the face in the Willow. There is definitely something here that requires further investigation: Eriphise may not be a long-term ally, but a wizard’s strength is in knowledge and Ellandryn finds himself sorely ignorant at this time.

    When they are well away from the Grove on whichever path the group selects, Ellandryn asks for a short halt. He finds a decent place to sit and spreads his magical journal out before him, selecting an empty page. Calling up his magic, he thinks on the face on the Willow and creates an image on the page from his memory. Then, knowing it will fade shortly, he uncaps an inkwell and traces it, making notes about the proper colors since he doesn’t have his full inkset with him. He fills in a few more notes on the magical patterns he witnessed before blowing the page dry and closing up.

    Ellandryn is then ready to move on.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
    joshgotroJPants
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

    Ellandryn politely takes his leave from the powerful Nymph, careful to not stare too hard at the face in the Willow. There is definitely something here that requires further investigation: Eriphise may not be a long-term ally, but a wizard’s strength is in knowledge and Ellandryn finds himself sorely ignorant at this time.

    When they are well away from the Grove on whichever path the group selects, Ellandryn asks for a short halt. He finds a decent place to sit and spreads his magical journal out before him, selecting an empty page. Calling up his magic, he thinks on the face on the Willow and creates an image on the page from his memory. Then, knowing it will fade shortly, he uncaps an inkwell and traces it, making notes about the proper colors since he doesn’t have his full inkset with him. He fills in a few more notes on the magical patterns he witnessed before blowing the page dry and closing up.

    Ellandryn is then ready to move on.

    I dig italics as OOC so i'm going to switch to that. Let me know if the color on my speech is hard to read, I can find another one. Also here's where I should note that I am getting ready to start Christmas Eve here and will probably be indisposed all the way to the 26th. Feel free to assume I'm going along with whatever the group decides in the mean time.

    When Ellandryn calls the group to a stop so he can do what wizards do, Lexan'dar figures that's as good a time as any to take stock and set a plan of action.

    "I'm not sure what the rest of you are thinking but seems we have a couple options for finding the our quarry. While I am definitely curious about this 'pain and hate' monster between us that that Damn Big Tree, I think we should prioritize finding the stag. We may have a fight on our hands if we want to help him and I'd rather be fresh and ready for that rather than coming off a potentially painful tussle. We can always check out the danger after we fix up Old Stoney."

    joshgotroElvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Happy New Year All

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    captainkJPantsElvenshaejoshgotro
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bien revenue a mes amis!

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think a recap of our important info and potential destinations would be very helpful for getting back from the break on the right foot.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My map a couple posts up captures (accurately?) where we've walked in the woods so far (the green highlights) and the paths we've seen but not followed; I've got some notes doodled on it.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 4
    Bos finishes measuring himself against Tret's physique, gathers his belongings, speeds up his step as he passes Eriphise, and leans down toward Yona.

    "Shall we depart, little one?"

    joshgotro on
    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Happy new year all!

    A quick recap is probably a good idea just to get everyone on the same page.

    You left Golarios and entered the woods mid morning, and worked your way through the brush until coming across a game trail that made travel smoother. Shortly afterwards it split in two, one heading north and the other south west. The northern trail was not particularly noteworthy, but you found trail markers indicating the previous group went that way. The south-western path made it's way through some thinning trees and through those you could see a series of low running hills.

    Following the northern path for several miles, you eventually came across another set of trail signs at a point where the path split, but rain had washed them to the side and disrupted them. A rougher trail leads to the north, marred with thicker brush while the track continued west.

    Shortly ahead to the west a fork branched northwest up a sloping path full of well cultivated plant life where you met Eriphrise and Tret.

    ElvenshaejoshgotroJPants
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Assuming no one has any last minute things for Eriphise and Tret, I believe these are the 2 post-meeting posts we had.
    Elvenshae wrote: »

    Ellandryn politely takes his leave from the powerful Nymph, careful to not stare too hard at the face in the Willow. There is definitely something here that requires further investigation: Eriphise may not be a long-term ally, but a wizard’s strength is in knowledge and Ellandryn finds himself sorely ignorant at this time.

    When they are well away from the Grove on whichever path the group selects, Ellandryn asks for a short halt. He finds a decent place to sit and spreads his magical journal out before him, selecting an empty page. Calling up his magic, he thinks on the face on the Willow and creates an image on the page from his memory. Then, knowing it will fade shortly, he uncaps an inkwell and traces it, making notes about the proper colors since he doesn’t have his full inkset with him. He fills in a few more notes on the magical patterns he witnessed before blowing the page dry and closing up.

    Ellandryn is then ready to move on.

    When Ellandryn calls the group to a stop so he can do what wizards do, Lexan'dar figures that's as good a time as any to take stock and set a plan of action.

    "I'm not sure what the rest of you are thinking but seems we have a couple options for finding the our quarry. While I am definitely curious about this 'pain and hate' monster between us that that Damn Big Tree, I think we should prioritize finding the stag. We may have a fight on our hands if we want to help him and I'd rather be fresh and ready for that rather than coming off a potentially painful tussle. We can always check out the danger after we fix up Old Stoney."

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    How are y'all proceeding? It sounds like you're heading to the tree? Are you retracing your steps or going in a different direction/destination?

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I believe we should backtrack southeast, then go west, searching for the Stag.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I agree with Sinnder - we should return to the main trail and continue to the west, circling around the area of rage and pain ... for now.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
    JPants
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    in case my post wasn't clear, I'm on board sticking to the path and avoiding the R&P creature. I'm not super clear on what direction that takes us exactly but others seem to have a grip on that.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Bos finishes measuring himself against Tret's physique, gathers his belongings, speeds up his step as he passes Eriphise, and leans down toward Yona.

    "Shall we depart, little one?"

    Just to get this ahead of the update.

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    @BahamutZERO



    Armed now with more knowledge of the forest, it seems somehow a little brighter and your footsteps surer.

    Descending down the neat garden path, you reach the trail and turn right and continue down the path to the west. The sun, still high in the sky provides ample light and you swiftly cover another mile.


    As you proceed forward, Yona catches a distant clacking sound in the air, coming from the path ahead, although distant.

    Bos, Ellandryn and Lex can also hear it, either from moving close or if Yona makes note of it.

    ElvenshaeBahamutZEROjoshgotro
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 8
    Thanks for the bat signal, I completely forgot about the game over the break!

    Yona suddenly stops and holds a hand up to signal the others to also stop, looking around. She puts a finger to her lips to convey silence to the rest of the group, and waves Lexan'dar up to lead them on a stealthy approach in the direction of the clacking.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    ElvenshaejoshgotroJPants
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited January 8
    Lex heard the sound at the same time Yona gave her signal. Nodding to Yona as he passed, he carefully and quietly took point for the group, still making his way slightly off the path to remain hidden from whatever he may encounter, but still can be seen by his party who knows where he is. Determined not to miss anything he made sure to keep on eye on his surroundings and one focused ahead. Whatever is making that clacking might not be the only thing around here worth getting the drop on...
    Geth roll 1d20+14 for Sneaky Sneaky
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Perceptiveness

    Sneaky Sneaky:
    1d20+14 24 [1d20=10]
    Perceptiveness:
    1d20+7 25 [1d20=18]

    JPants on
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    As Lex advances through the forest growth, he begins to get a clearer picture of the sound over the hum and cry of forest life.

    The clacking sounds grow louder, separated by perhaps five or six seconds and with the distance reduced you realise is the sound of something heavy impacting against stone.

    The clacking sound becomes a crashing sound as it looses its rhythm but increases in force, building up into a frenzy until it stops.

    Perhaps 50 yards ahead the path bulges out to a small clearing of dirt. A large stone stands up from the earth, perhaps shoulder high. Small pieces of rock lie at the base, some clearly chipped from the stone itself.

    A handful of ancient skulls and bones litter the ground, bleached of all colour by the elements.

    joshgotroElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited January 8
    In quick succession Lexan'dar's hands flash out the signals for "hold", "I see something", and "wait here while I check it out". At least, that's what they meant to him. Hopefully his compatriots would understand from context. Lex then continues his advance towards the clearing, trying to see if he can determine what was hitting the stone, stopping just shy of the edge of the clearing.

    Should I roll stealth/perception again or continue off last roll?

    JPants on
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    In quick succession Lexan'dar's hands flash out the signals for "hold", "I see something", and "wait here while I check it out". At least, that's what they meant to him. Hopefully his compatriots would understand from context. Lex then continues his advance towards the clearing, trying to see if he can determine what was hitting the stone, stopping just shy of the edge of the clearing.

    Should I roll stealth/perception again or continue off last roll?

    No, it’s fine, you only just rolled.

    Nothing is moving in the clearing, and you can’t see anything that looks like it might have been struck it. The earth looks slightly drier than that below your feet, lacking the detritus of twigs, webs, leaves and roots that coat the forest floor beneath your feet.

    There are rocks around the base that could have been used, or the skulls and bones littered about the ground. The stones are a mix of everything from thumb to fist sized.

    Among the bones there are mostly skulls and a few whitened ribs and leg bones. The eight pointed skull of a stag lies on the dirt, a thick broad boar head, one that clearly a cow or bull and a horse skull. There are several smaller ones, birds, some sort of feline and some you can’t identify.

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited January 9
    Edit: This was the wrong thread! Apologies!

    Quid on
    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    After surveying the clearing Lex will make his way back to the group to relay what he has surveyed. Once that was done it was time to discuss how to proceed.

    "... So yeah, quite a scene. Whatever we heard, whatever made that graveyard of bones back there.... might be gone or might not, hard to say.

    So who wants to go first?"


    Figured I'd give us a sec to plan before we go bursting in, see if anyone has any great ideas. Lexan'dar will hang back in the shadows of the edge of the forest just in case anything tries to get the jump on us we won't all get caught at once.

    BahamutZEROElvenshaejoshgotro
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yona: "Not me."

    BahamutZERO.gif
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Tightening the strap of his shield, Bos slides his blade free.

    "Stay close."

    An aura permeates away from Bos as he enters the Protection Rune State*.

    * allies adjacent to the runepriest gain resist 2 to all damage

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
    JPantsBahamutZEROcaptainkElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bos states, "Stay close."

    Ellandryn nods, drawing his sword and swinging it experimentally. "Yes, that sounds like a great idea."

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Presumably we will now advance towards the stone and the bones together, ready to get jumped.

    BahamutZERO.gif
    JPantsElvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Forewarned of the layout of the clearing of Lexan’dar, you proceed down the remainder of the way to the clearing. It opens out to your right, a peaceful and strange contrast of vibrant green life against the dull bone littering the ground.

    It remains as he described and sunlight spills over the edge of the canopy to light up the space.

Sign In or Register to comment.