[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

12357

Posts

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Bos side steps the large stone to gain a better view of the clearing.

    @Kelor

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Eyes Up Mouth Shut

    Eyes Up Mouth Shut:
    1d20+7 17 [1d20=10]

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Assuming nothing immediately jumps folks when they enter the clearing, Lex will stay hidden in the treeline and circle the clearing, looking for any sign of tracks or evidence of what was previously here and where it might have gone.


    Let me know if you want new stealth and percep rolls

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    How big across is the clearing?

    Pausing at the edge of the treeline, Ellandryn pauses, placing one hand on Bos's (much higher) shoulder, stills his mind, and reaches out with his magical senses. A few moments later, he removes his hand from Bos's shoulder; he has sensed no magic in the clearing.

    Geth, roll 1d20+12 for Arcana detect magic

    EDIT: Unless there's an active conjuration or zone that I'm currently looking at, I don't see nuffin'. At some point, I will roll > 10.

    Arcana detect magic:
    1d20+12 20 [1d20=8]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    Yona also tries to sense the presence of magic.
    e: She fares no better than the wizard.

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Arcana detect magic

    Arcana detect magic:
    1d20+6 14 [1d20=8]

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Elvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The clearing is irregular, but roughly 30-35 feet wide.

    As Lexan’dar circles the clearing, he begins to encounter sections of the forest that are flattened. At one point you find a particularly clear imprint that appears to be circular, two feet wide and with some sort of singular claw mark at roughly three equidistant points.

    Ellandryn and Yona’s arcane search reveals no enchantments or creatures in the clearing, but beneath the earth. Several items of magic nature, perhaps five feet below ground.

    Bos, it becomes more apparent when you stand at the entrance to the clearing, but there are the faintest traces where the clearing runs up to the path looks off, as though the dirt has been smoothed over, it’s a little too uniform compared to the trail you have been following.

    joshgotro
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    As Lexan’dar circles the clearing, he begins to encounter sections of the forest that are flattened. At one point you find a particularly clear imprint that appears to be circular, two feet wide and with some sort of singular claw mark at roughly three equidistant points.

    I'm imagining a circle with a claw mark at the edge of the circle at each point of a line from a peace sign (if that makes sense). That right? Like such(apologies for crappy paint pic)?
    3ypb8wtp6p5s.png

    Also does the 2 foot circle aprox match the size of the stone in the clearing?

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The more crappy paint pics the better!

    ez684sn5vpqp.jpeg

    The stone is quite large, six or seven feet wide at the base.

    The claws are about 10 inches long.

    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Does anyone else hear the Jurassic Park Theme?

    Lex will continue circumnavigating the clearing looking for any other signs and will let the others know what he found when he gets back around to them.

    has anyone entered the clearing yet? Doesn't seem so.

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    I am standing at the edge, letting the people who are better woodsbeings and trackers and wearing much heavier armor go first. Pragmatism!

    Ellandryn whispers, "Yona? Do you feel that? There's ... something ... underground here."

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Ellandryn whispers, "Yona? Do you feel that? There's ... something ... underground here."

    Bos moves confidently into the clearing, gesturing towards the ground, awaiting confirmation from Ellandryn and Yona.

    Here? Or here?

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    @captaink

    Lex continues to find imprints in the vegetation, they do not seem regular enough to be footprints and are scattered all about.

    Other than these marks, his circumnavigation of the clearing is uneventful and he rejoins the group at the edge of the track.

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sinnder listens. Has all the crashing sound stopped?

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ellandryn points generally in the direction of the magical auras sensed dimly from underground.

    Not quite sure where they are - clumped up in one location or if there're several spread around. DM? :)

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    "Anyone bring a shovel?"

    joshgotro on
    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
    captainkJPants
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    The crashing has been silent for some time, and Lex did not hear it since his approach.

    Three are clumped roughly under the stag skull, one under the boar.

    Kelor on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sinnder takes a closer look at the stag skull. Is it chipped or damaged like it was being smashed into this rock? How about the boar skull?

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Sinnder takes a closer look at the stag skull. Is it chipped or damaged like it was being smashed into this rock? How about the boar skull?

    The stag skull is cracked and missing the points of some of it's horns, but it's impossible to tell the cause given it's age. This is true for all the bones in the clearing from what you can see.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Seeing that nothing has lept out to devour Bos, Yona sighs. With perhaps a hint of disappointment. "Well whatever is here, perhaps we should leave it be and continue on our way. We have no reason to linger here, and the path forward remains open."

    BahamutZERO.gif
    joshgotro
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I am standing at the edge, letting the people who are better woodsbeings and trackers and wearing much heavier armor go first. Pragmatism!

    Ellandryn whispers, "Yona? Do you feel that? There's ... something ... underground here."

    "Are we thinking Creature or Relic? Cause one of those definitely makes me want to take a closer look, though maybe it would be better to return with spades of some kind... Our quarry is still out there and possibly injured and digging by hand will take quite a bit of time."


    I'm fine moving on if everyone else wants to, we can always come back and re-investigate

    Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yona is definitely not tempting fate. Definitely not.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I (and my character) got the idea that that was our quarry. But if it's not, I'm ready to move.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    Same. Bos is ready to dig up the magic items if we want them.

    joshgotro on
    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
    captaink
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Yeah, we are here to find knowledge and relics, so I definitely think we need to come back if we decide to move on right now. I'm good either way basically, dig now or return and dig.

    captainkElvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    "Dig if you wish, don't say I didn't warn you if something bad happens though." (yeah go for it, get some treasure, enrage some monsters)

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @Kelor

    The shield cuts deep into the ground...

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
    ElvenshaeKelor
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yes! Dig us into trouble! That way, it's not my fault when things go pear-shaped!

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
    KelorJPants
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    Sorry, that was my sleeping time. The me waking up and reading this thread was a riot of emotions!

    As Bos strides up to the stag skull and raises his shield, grass, earth and skull erupt from the ground and clash against it. As the dirt clears and settles, you see the skull now rests around six feet in the air, attached to muscular human like chest and arms that end in long, sharp claws. The lower half of the body is a single column like leg that expands and contracts lightly as the creature bobs about. (Lex immediately recognises that this would produce the imprints he discovered surrounding the clearing)

    Roll for initiative!

    bcq99hxyp7oj.png

    I'll have a hand drawn one up shortly we'll use for combat.

    Kelor on
    JPantsjoshgotroElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

    Elvenshae
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+5

    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    I've put you in spots that I think make sense given where things were at previous to Bos digging in, if anything is egregious let me know.

    Okay, so just a reminder since this is a play by post, for initiative everyone goes in groups, so you'll go collectively as a group as will like-monsters.

    For initiative, we'll see how everyone rolling goes. Straight up highest score goes first.

    I'm going to experiment with that, if it turns out it's a bit too powerful/stacked we'll try taking the average. But that's a later down the track thing.

    Squares on the grid that have a triangle in the upper right corner are difficult terrain. They cost twice the normal amount of movement to pass through, but provide light cover. (a -2 attack roll penalty for ranged attacks)

    A quick bit on cover if you haven't played 4E:

    If you can draw a straight line from a corner of your character's square to all four corners of an enemy's square without being blocked by an obstacle or enemy it does not have cover.

    Allies don't count as interfering/grant enemies cover from you. Enemies do provide cover for each other. And vice versa.

    9w2n4pzm0how.png

    The map
    wsjxv6q70ix1.jpeg

    Edit: Yes, the rock is cover and cannot be passed through. Meant to mention that.

    Kelor on
    JPantsBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I assume the rock is providing cover and is unpassable? or just elevated terrain (and cover?)

    Kelor
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    1 and 2 arms and 3 is the meaty center?

    joshgotro on
    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    They're all the same kind of creature. There are multiple, they'll appear on the first round.

    1= Stag skull
    2= Boar skull
    3= Feline skull

    Kelor on
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Question about group initiative and stuff like Flanking: What if I want to move to flank #1 with Bos, but he wants to move somewhere else? Normally if my initiative was higher i could just move first, get my CA, and then he can move away. Or if I'm slower I have to move based on his new location (which i may not know if we are doing group execution of orders). How are we handling that?

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative!

    Initiative!:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Wilds of Aladrion: [https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43159014/#Comment_43159014]Ellandryn[/url]
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "*sigh* Of course."

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Elvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 15
    JPants wrote: »
    Question about group initiative and stuff like Flanking: What if I want to move to flank #1 with Bos, but he wants to move somewhere else? Normally if my initiative was higher i could just move first, get my CA, and then he can move away. Or if I'm slower I have to move based on his new location (which i may not know if we are doing group execution of orders). How are we handling that?

    Once initiative rolls are determined, I think the best way is to say you have a plan to mention in general terms "hey Bos, if the monsters move up on their next turn, can you wait for me to get a flanking attack in before you move."

    He can delay his turn to wait for you to take your action, then move on to engage another monster.

    In this format, turn delays never push you out of group order, so Bos would just be one slot lower in intiative order unless someone else delays. I'll post the initiative order in spoilers each round to keep things current.

    I'm open to suggestions if anyone would like to do it differently.

    Edit: Same goes if you have an interrupt action, just let me know if there is one you're prioritising outside of your turns so that I can take it into account. If you forget, that's no problem, I'll correct it.

    I'll also notify you when enemies become bloodied (1/2 hp) so that you know that too.

    Kelor on
    joshgotroJPantsElvenshae
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Fire and frost twirl down Sinnder's blade

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 15
    As you react to the creature explode out of the earth in front of Bos, two more also leap out from nearby, one headed with the boar skull, the other with some sort of large cat.

    Initiative order:
    The Heroes wrote:
    24 - Lexan'dar
    20 - Bos
    17 - Ellandryn
    7 - Yona
    2 - Sinnder
    14 - Boar
    14 - Stag
    14 - Feline

    Even if it's not your turn, feel free to lay out what you're roughly planning so others can work around or delay their turn.
    brm7n2zju9tf.jpeg

    Kelor on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    @Kelor @JPants

    Delay my turn until Lexan'dar gets into position.

    "Good morning beastie. I'll be right with you."

    3DS FC 4227-8173-0371
Sign In or Register to comment.