Options

SHOTS SHOTS SHO SHO SHO SHOTS [EVERYBODY]

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The vaccine is really good news, but I'm worried about how it'll affect urgency to take measures against covid in the very near term while supplies are heavily constrained.

Speaking for America, we gave up on taking measures a while ago, the vaccine is our only hope at this point.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    And apparently only 45% of the nation is actively vaccinating in general so yeah, we're absolutely fucked and rightfully so

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    And apparently only 45% of the nation is actively vaccinating in general so yeah, we're absolutely fucked and rightfully so

whaaaaaaat

that doesn't seem right

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

whaaaaaaat

that doesn't seem right

it's not from the CDC numbers, which are:

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (4+ doses DTP, DT, or DTaP): 83.2%
    Polio (3+ doses): 92.7%
    Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) (1+ doses): 91.5%
    Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) (primary series + booster dose): 80.7%
    Hepatitis B (Hep B) (3+ doses): 91.4%
    Chickenpox (Varicella) (1+ doses): 91.0%
    Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) (4+ doses): 82.4%
    Combined 7-vaccine series: 70.4%

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I just searched for "percentage of americans that are anti-vaxxers" and that's what it said

don't tell me you are disagreeing with Internet or there's might to be a ruckus up in here

• Options
    The Flu vaccine has much lower percentage coverage, I don't even know what it is but it's low. but that's an optional vaccine, you have to do it every year, and coverage in rural areas is very very low.

But given the national push and the way they'll tier access to the vaccine, I think acceptance/motivation will be high.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »

But given the national push and the way they'll tier access to the vaccine, I think acceptance/motivation will be high.

never underestimate the fucking idiocy of the american public

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

never underestimate the fucking idiocy of the american public

If the diehard gop doesn't want to take this vaccine, that's their business I suppose

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Pfizer data is most complete and says that it takes 14 days until you have 53% protection, then if you take the followup + 14 days you hit 95%

So your party may start 5-6 weeks after your shot.

And spread the word: These vaccines have a pretty good chance of giving you a pretty annoying 24h. Mild fever, tiredness etcet. That is a sign of the vaccine working.

Make sure to tell people this if they are hemming about getting the second shot.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Health Canada just approved the Pfizer vaccine this morning.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Mrs. Bum works as a 12-hour laboratory technician at a smaller, ER-equipped acute hospital and her mom works as a nurse at a LTC facility that, unfortunately, is starting to see a rise in COVID cases among the residents and staff (she has not caught it so far). Not sure if both will be mandated to take the vaccine when it becomes available in our area but I do plan to help take care of them (help monitor symptoms, run to get groceries and supplies, manage the kids, etc.) if they do end up opting in and they react badly.

Also, it will be interesting to see how quickly colleges and universities will start making it a requirement for students to start taking doses to be on campus. Probably too late to incorporate it for the Spring semester but will probably be a thing next Fall.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

And spread the word: These vaccines have a pretty good chance of giving you a pretty annoying 24h. Mild fever, tiredness etcet. That is a sign of the vaccine working.

anti-vaxxers and conspiracy idiots are gonna be on this like brown on shit

• Options
    I'm going to get the vaccine so I can have it before the government discovers its actually the super soldier serum and pulls it from public use.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This vaccine might be our only hope, but boy oh boy, the vaccine literally making you actually sick is probably going to drop the vaccination rate even lower

• Options
    will a person be contagious while they're sick from the vaccine or is that not how it works?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    I'm sure one of our actual health professionals will drop by to give the real answer, but from what I understand symptoms developed after the vaccine is administered is the body's reaction to the vaccine, and not an indication that you've been infected. Therefore, not contagious.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Canada is officially due to get at least 4mil Pfizer and 2mil Moderna vaccines in the first quarter of 2021, with general population vaccination to start in April and conclude by the end of the year

Which hopefully means I'll be vaccinated and ready to catch a non-covid PAX Pox at South 2021, presuming I survive the most raging NYE party ever next year

They didn't mention how many J&J vaccines we'd be getting, so I do wonder if that might speed things along as well

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sorry

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    will a person be contagious while they're sick from the vaccine or is that not how it works?

generally a mRNA vaccine I believe the answer to this is no. If it's a live vaccine, I think the answer is possibly. I know one of the reasons that we've been advised not to vaccinate yet is more through an abundance of caution rather than thinking this is a distinct possibility. But we also haven't talked to our team about it in the past week and a half, and there's been a lot more information coming out.

edit: here's a high level description of the kinds of vaccines. I was unaware that this is the first large scale mRNA vaccine ever.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2770485

cursedking on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    cb9fnj8xay12.png

oe0g2.gif

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Idgi

Is that tweet a joke about Bill Gates being rich enough to pull a Get Out .... but on an old British lady??

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's a joke about the 'vaccines containing mind control chips' conspiracy theory applied to the first person to receive the vaccine in the uk

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    control me bill gates see if i even give a shit

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    control me bill gates see if i even give a shit

*Excel crashes and corrupts the data*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    More confirmation on the Canadian vax schedule

I might even be able to have a reasonably sized birthday celebration next September!! We'll see!!!

Steam
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Huh. The total population of Canada is a little over 15% that of the US?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Huh. The total population of Canada is a little over 15% that of the US?

Yep!

One of the reasons why it was theorized for a bit we may end up later to start on our vaccines, but may finish earlier than the countries we were comparing ourselves to

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    Yeah I pretty much expect this country to be virus-free while the US is still in the thick of it for that reason.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It deserves to be mentioned that the virus will probably disappear before the vaccinations are done, as more and more of the population becomes immune and it starts losing ground to spread to. (not an epidemiologist.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So according to my US states distribution plan, I'm in second phase of vaccines, but really the 6th group since the first two phases each have three "waves"

Also school staff is at the very very end of the second phase.

Current estimates are that I will be allowed to get the vaccine around the end of the school year or early summer. There's no word if it'll actually be available, if I'll have to pay for it, or anything else.

But we're going back to in-person learning in January. So there's that.

Guess my 2021 looks a lot like my 2020.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Cello wrote: »

I might even be able to have a reasonably sized birthday celebration next September!! We'll see!!!

Thank you for this, this is making me feel good. I'm wondering, having a child in daycare, if we'll be in the 3rd group...

edit:
    I was misreading this graphic. It appears that these aren't completion dates, but commencement dates (or more specifically, when they're expecting those doses to be delivered, not administered) but they're still expecting to be completely finished by September. The third group is "General Population" and is expected to begin in April. I don't know how they'll decide who gets the shot when? Maybe people register to a waiting list? Or there is a birthday lottery like in Contagion? Anyway I am hopeful I will be able to visit my family in 2021. Shit, with Australia's population and my parents living in a major city and also being over 65, maybe they'll be able to visit me much sooner.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    #pipe wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

Thank you for this, this is making me feel good. I'm wondering, having a child in daycare, if we'll be in the 3rd group...

We'll see! There's a federal body that is giving general recommendations, but the provinces are gonna be issuing their specific vaccination plans, so keep an eye out for that for BC.

There may also be some regional influence - not sure if it released or was leaked here, but sounds like Ontario is likely going to target some of the more Red/Grey zones first and work their way down to other places that are less on fire. So like, the Toronto/Durham/York regions and then moving from there to Ottawa in like fourth place since we're almost all white collar/feds here with limited manufacturing.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    First shots were just given out in Ontario today!! CBC played it live and it's honestly really moving?

The first 5 in Toronto were registered nurses, support workers, and practical nurses, specifically chosen for their efforts through the pandemic. One of the nurses just started *this year* and stayed in a hotel to be steps away from the care home he was working at. It's particularly notable to give the first vaccines to care home workers since LTCs have had the majority of our deaths as well.

Real historic moment!

Edit: they just interviewed the first lady and it was very cute, she was happy to get the shot because she was the first to get it in the province, thank you, bye! Goodbye!! (End of interview)

Apparently she'd effectively been working double shifts to help at the care home she'd worked at since 1988, so they gave her the honour of the first shot

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    They also gave the first shots in Quebec today! And my phone popped up to say the US also started this morning.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    I was going to get mine today but the shipment was delayed. Will get it tomorrow instead. I'll let you know if I become a zombie.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I was going to get mine today but the shipment was delayed. Will get it tomorrow instead. I'll let you know if I become a zombie.

But you're The Stig??

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I just moved to Japan, and unfortunately their vaccine plan kinda...sucks? They're not planning to start any vaccinations until March, at which point it's just 'if you want one come get one'

So no priority for at-risk or frontline folks, and no urgency for getting started ASAP. Their handling of covid in general has been less than thrilling but they've avoided large-scale damage despite that, so I can't say I'm surprised at their lackluster plan, but definitely pretty disappointed.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    300 vaccinated in Quebec today, meaning everyone should be immune in a mere... 156 years!

sig.gif