Options

SHOTS SHOTS SHO SHO SHO SHOTS [EVERYBODY]

124»

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    An 89 year old lady from Quebec City apparently beat someone in Toronto by mere minutes this morning as the first Canadian vaccinee.

sig.gif
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just moved to Japan, and unfortunately their vaccine plan kinda...sucks? They're not planning to start any vaccinations until March, at which point it's just 'if you want one come get one'

So no priority for at-risk or frontline folks, and no urgency for getting started ASAP. Their handling of covid in general has been less than thrilling but they've avoided large-scale damage despite that, so I can't say I'm surprised at their lackluster plan, but definitely pretty disappointed.

I believe they're going with the same philosophy as Australia, in that the spread is pretty much controlled so we'd rather other countries do the large scale testing for us. They can option all of the vaccines and wait in case one of them is easier to distribute or whatever. Basically they're not in immediate danger so they're in a holding pattern until the vaccine is easier.

• Options
    The Moderna vaccine is apparently on the verge of being approved in Canada, with an expected 168,000 doses delivered this month, on top of the 249,000 Pfizer doses!

The Moderna one doesn't require ultra-freezers which is very good news for everyone who doesn't live near a hospital that has one of those.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    We joked in lab today that almost every bio lab could totally help out with the storage issues. Especially any lab that's been around for more than 5 years. Every professor is a natural hoarder, combined with everyone hating digging through freezers, so there is just tons of old shit accumulating that no one knows what it is anymore, and it's out of sight and wont smell so it just gets shoved around, because you do NOT want to accidentally throw away a precious sample, even if there is no way those samples will ever be precious. I have personally gone to bosses before to ask, "so this otherwise unlabeled tube says 1985. I'm....I'm good to toss this right?"

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    We joked in lab today that almost every bio lab could totally help out with the storage issues. Especially any lab that's been around for more than 5 years. Every professor is a natural hoarder, combined with everyone hating digging through freezers, so there is just tons of old shit accumulating that no one knows what it is anymore, and it's out of sight and wont smell so it just gets shoved around, because you do NOT want to accidentally throw away a precious sample, even if there is no way those samples will ever be precious. I have personally gone to bosses before to ask, "so this otherwise unlabeled tube says 1985. I'm....I'm good to toss this right?"

That tube is literally the year 1985. If you throw it out, Back to the Future and Rocky IV retroactively stop existing

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

As a graduate student (by necessity as the group was downsizing) and as a postdoc (voluntarily as safety officer) I purged decades of old chemistry vials. It helped that both professors were in the back-half of their career and realized they didn't need anything more than 5-10 years old.

During the graduate school process, one of our freezers broke so we pulled everything out onto benches in the room temperature lab. We came in one day to find a vial exploded and the plastic covering on a ceiling light directly above the vial cracked from impact.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I got the vaccine. They filmed a short video of me getting it.

https://youtu.be/F020aNi0wS0

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i hate everything about that scene goodness

movies were a mistake

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's vitally important that whenever you emerge from a science experiment completely jacked there is a hot woman in the room to marvel at your new body. Otherwise the transformation won't stick.

Also that scene led to this:

njqcre6zmjep.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

One of the good things about working in a lab under TNI regulations is that anything older than 5 years (for the tests we do, I think it's longer for Lead and asbestos testing) is supposed to be disposed of, and most holding times are generally less than a month. So anything older cannot be worked with, no matter how it's stored. We still hoard random equipment and glassware, but the fridges and freezers don't have anything older than a decade.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    It's vitally important that whenever you emerge from a science experiment completely jacked there is a hot woman in the room to marvel at your new body. Otherwise the transformation won't stick.

njqcre6zmjep.jpg

The slip on fake flesh feet are killing me here

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

movies were a mistake

i'm not sure what your objections are but unless you're very convincing i'm not sure you're gonna find a lot of support

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

njqcre6zmjep.jpg

The slip on fake flesh feet are killing me here

Oh thank god, I thought they were some new fashionable boots.

• Options

movies were a mistake

i'm not sure what your objections are but unless you're very convincing i'm not sure you're gonna find a lot of support

i don't need support! i have righteousness on my side!

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    vaccine_tracker.png

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

As a graduate student (by necessity as the group was downsizing) and as a postdoc (voluntarily as safety officer) I purged decades of old chemistry vials. It helped that both professors were in the back-half of their career and realized they didn't need anything more than 5-10 years old.

During the graduate school process, one of our freezers broke so we pulled everything out onto benches in the room temperature lab. We came in one day to find a vial exploded and the plastic covering on a ceiling light directly above the vial cracked from impact.

Sounds like a world-ending creature escaped

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

movies were a mistake

i don't need support! i have righteousness on my side!

more like wrongousness

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

Sounds like a world-ending creature escaped

finally

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

movies were a mistake

Even Stanley Tucci as a mad scientist?

• Options
    This thread is a safe Tooch zone. No Tooch slander will be tolerated.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Had a couple people at my work surprised when I tell them I'm getting the vaccine the first goddamn day I can (which is slightly early, working in a grocery store)

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I just moved to Japan, and unfortunately their vaccine plan kinda...sucks? They're not planning to start any vaccinations until March, at which point it's just 'if you want one come get one'

So no priority for at-risk or frontline folks, and no urgency for getting started ASAP. Their handling of covid in general has been less than thrilling but they've avoided large-scale damage despite that, so I can't say I'm surprised at their lackluster plan, but definitely pretty disappointed.

Add it to the pile of disappointing shit Japan has done since, let’s see, my notes here saaaaay.....

ever.

Since ever.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If its any consolation, back when... smallpox? was eradicated, NZ didn't bother with vaccination. We just let the rest of the world do it and it was all good. I don't think that'd fly today, the world is far more interconnected.

Oof. I was gonna say that with Japan's success at controlling the disease they might feel less pressure to go hard on the vaccine. But I'm a little behind the times, hasn't been like that since October and things are looking like they're still getting worse.

• Options
    Abe’s government has been dogshit and his successor seems to be basically a carbon copy so far.

• Options
    I hate that “they should fine people who refuse the vaccine” is considered a controversial opinion even by people who aren’t anti-vaxxers because freedom or something.

You get fined for parking in the wrong place, how’s that different.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    If its any consolation, back when... smallpox? was eradicated, NZ didn't bother with vaccination. We just let the rest of the world do it and it was all good. I don't think that'd fly today, the world is far more interconnected.

Oof. I was gonna say that with Japan's success at controlling the disease they might feel less pressure to go hard on the vaccine. But I'm a little behind the times, hasn't been like that since October and things are looking like they're still getting worse.

yeah like

Japan has been SUPER lucky that it hasn't been worse here, but that's despite the government's response and not because of it

their numbers are way lower than other nations that have taken similar non-action, but the pattern of spikes and surges have been pretty much the same

if Japanese culture hadn't already normalized mask use and disease awareness in general, they would be in a world of pain right now

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    The Japanese government's campaign to encourage domestic travel and eating out was probably one of the stupidest responses to the economic downturn from any country, I still can't believe they were like "oh a deadly pandemic? why don't we subsidize train trips to fun places!"

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    The fact that nobody can mount any kind of political opposition to the dumbest barrel of do-nothing motherfuckers in Japanese history is...

well, disappointing, to bring it all full circle, I guess.

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I hate that “they should fine people who refuse the vaccine” is considered a controversial opinion even by people who aren’t anti-vaxxers because freedom or something.

I don't think they should fine people, I just think they should deny those people services until they're vaccinated.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Got a flyer for the hospital I work at that they're sending out emails to get employees scheduled to take the vaccine.

I work in medical records off site so I'm pretty low on the priority list but they're hoping to get all their employees vaccinated by the end of January.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

I don't think they should fine people, I just think they should deny those people services until they're vaccinated.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment here. But fines are only really a punishment to poor people, and rich people are more likely to yell at frontline staffers until they get their own way. And they're way less likely to get the police called on them than poor people trying to pull the same stunt.

And let me just say that most of the ugly incidents we've had with anti-maskers so far have been at library branches in rich white communities, and I don't expect the anti-vaxxers to shake out any differently.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    absolutely.

that kind of supports my idea, though, because being refused entry to an airport is going to affect Mitsy and Howard a lot more than a $200 fine. Deny them services.

• Options
    Yeah I suppose I see the merit in going that way

It just, fuck, that 30% is gonna make this whole thing last longer than it should.

sig.gif