As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    So bluetooth on motherboards is garbage huh? I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and I was setting up my new Xbox Series X controller which I found out can't go more than 6 inches from the front of the case before losing signal.

Anyone have any experience with bluetooth extenders?

You need to attach the antenna to your motherboard. One should have come with it.

If you don't have an antenna you've got nothing because guess what, your case is a faraday cage which it turns out attenuates electromagnetic signals...like Bluetooth and Wifi.

:( Checked ASUS's website for the user guide and it looks like no antenna. Guess I'm using a cable, looking online BT extenders are pretty expensive.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Saw a 5900x on the microcenter page and realized they won't do the normal reserve and pick up for that part. Why have I been checking their website every day? I'm not going to drive 45 minutes on the chance that the *1* processor they put on the shelf is still there. I'm just going to stop looking, because now I'm sad for no reason.

Oof, now there are 9 5950x's at the downtown branch. Which means if I get up 2 hours early for work, I might have a shot. I shouldn't have kept looking...

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Update.

Have been running the 1440p 144hz for about 3 weeks. I like it. Finally got a notification for motherboard being in stock, and snagged one. Should be here tomorrow. CPU last thing to come now, and Still awaiting my backorder to get filled. No luck in snagging anything to upgrade my wife's system.

Got new chair, a Secret Lab Titan. Great chair. What makes it so great it is that I don't even notice the chair at all once I sit in it. I focus on my tasks without dedicating any part of my attention to chair management. And when I stand up after sitting for hours...it's no longer a process that involves stretching, rising slowly and groaning. The first time, I just...stood up and went upstairs. Took me several minutes to realize that I hadn't had to do the usual ritual.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What am I missing in that the 3060 will have 12gb and the 3060TI only has 8gb?

The bus width. The non ti has a smaller bus, so it can use either 6 or 12, and they probably thought that 6 was a bit too small. ( Though I wouldn't count it out for whenever a 3050 comes)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    3060 having 12gb and the 3080 having 10 certainly gives me feelings

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for system integrators. A friend of mine in Guam is purchasing her very first gaming PC, with a budget of $2500. Normally, I'd just grab everything and just build her a system, but *gestures wildly at the graphics card market*.

Obviously, I am painfully obvious of the markup SI's are going to take, and on top of that, shipping is likely going to run $150 plus. Luckily, she does have someone on the military base, so it can be shipped APO - if the SI will do it, a lot of them don't have info on their websites about it. The only hard info I found was iBuyPower, who, while seem to be the best bang for the buck, and did favorable on LTT's secret shoppers, also seem to be an absolute clown shoes cluster fuck in terms of order delays right now (people still not having received their systems from November and such).

I'm honestly tempted to just grab her a used 2080ti or something off Craigslist here for $700 and build the rest of the system, but shipping that far with no warranty support just feels like it's begging for trouble. On the other hand, I'm also pretty sure if I package it up myself I'm going to take damn well better care of it than half the SI's out there...

So the other half of the question is, barring no good SI suggestions at the moment, where would one go about finding appropriately high grade packing foam and a crate?

Edit: Part of that $2500 is also going to need to include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset etc. all with their own shipping premiums. So the budget is realistically $1800 or so.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Honestly, in that case, she might consider trying for those new ampere laptops that were just announced

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If she has access to the base, she should also have access to the Exchange. And while a pre-built isn't ideal, it's a treat better since you can get it on-island. There's also a chance there's a computer shop on the island, with all the sailors and airmen (airpersons?) nearby.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Rius wrote: »

Yeah but

I'd still install a game on the 500GB NVME over the 1 TB HDD

It's definitely a bad look tho

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Yeah but

Steve from GN was complaining that the extra memory was useless, but considering that a not insignificant chunk of these cards will be used at 1440p, and a lot of games at that resolution can easily use 7-8 GB of GPU memory it's a perfectly valid choice on Nvidia's part.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Yeah but

Steve from GN was complaining that the extra memory was useless, but considering that a not insignificant chunk of these cards will be used at 1440p, and a lot of games at that resolution can easily use 7-8 GB of GPU memory it's a perfectly valid choice on Nvidia's part.

Not particularly.

I still haven't run into many that break 6, unless they're horribly optimized like Watch Dogs: Legion. Even Cyberpunk wasn't using more than 5-6.

If I do find one that runs into that issue, just knock down textures from ultra to high and problem solved with almost zero fidelity loss.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Just an FYI, for normal lite gaming my 600w UPS was ok. However loading up AC:Origin's last night set it off constantly. So anyone else with a 3080 and new AMD CPU might want to make sure they get 800w+ UPS if they are looking.

• Options
    my relatively under-factory-boosted 3080 pulls 320w on default settings, so yeah bigger PSUs are definitely helpful

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Yeah but

Not particularly.

I still haven't run into many that break 6, unless they're horribly optimized like Watch Dogs: Legion. Even Cyberpunk wasn't using more than 5-6.

If I do find one that runs into that issue, just knock down textures from ultra to high and problem solved with almost zero fidelity loss.

CP2077 regularly bumps up to 8GB, Doom Eternal also hits about 8GB as well. All at 1440p.

What settings are you running at that gets you less than 6GB?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Yeah but

Not particularly.

CP2077 regularly bumps up to 8GB, Doom Eternal also hits about 8GB as well. All at 1440p.

Are you watching VRAM allocated in a HUD like FRAPS or NVidia? Because GPU's regularly allocate RAM they aren't using, and often will expand to use the entire available pool of VRAM on a card. My GPU is always pegged. But that's not usage.

I'm going by benchmarks from places that can actually run the right software, like debuggers or first-party utilities, to see actual VRAM usage.

wv5mcf1dqnxm.png

I will often bump down my texture detail to HIGH instead of ULTRA, since ULTRA is usually tuned for 4k anyway and chances are I'll never notice the difference.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    hmmmm just hearing about these tariffs. I'd assume monitors would also be included due to the boards inside?

• Options
    The tariffs applied (and apply) to all goods, it's just that there was a list of exceptions that was active for a while and GPUs were on the list. I don't think monitors were, so they've (presumably) already absorbed the tariff increase.

• Options

Yeah but

Not particularly.

Are you watching VRAM allocated in a HUD like FRAPS or NVidia? Because GPU's regularly allocate RAM they aren't using. My GPU is always pegged. But that's not usage.

I'm going by benchmarks from places that can actually run the right software, like debuggers, to see actual VRAM usage.

wv5mcf1dqnxm.png

I've been using Afterburner to check memory usage. Seems to work pretty well.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Yeah but

Not particularly.

Are you watching VRAM allocated in a HUD like FRAPS or NVidia? Because GPU's regularly allocate RAM they aren't using. My GPU is always pegged. But that's not usage.

I'm going by benchmarks from places that can actually run the right software, like debuggers, to see actual VRAM usage.

wv5mcf1dqnxm.png

I've been using Afterburner to check memory usage. Seems to work pretty well.

Afterburner reads allocation, not usage. All of these monitoring programs only check what's being reported by the card as used, which is what the games allocate.

Unless you have something that hooks directly in to the card, and not something that speaks to the API (i.e. Afterburner) you'll never know if that 8 GB used is actually 8 GB used.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The tariffs applied (and apply) to all goods, it's just that there was a list of exceptions that was active for a while and GPUs were on the list. I don't think monitors were, so they've (presumably) already absorbed the tariff increase.

Ah interesting. Listing to the LTT wan show it sounded like it was more than GPU's, with motherboards and other chips also getting a boost. I guess that's why these high end monitors are over $1000 now.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What am I missing in that the 3060 will have 12gb and the 3060TI only has 8gb?

Memory bandwidth; the 360 has 6x2Mb chips to give 192 bit bus; the 3060 has 8x1Mb chips to give a 256 bit bus.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So bluetooth on motherboards is garbage huh? I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and I was setting up my new Xbox Series X controller which I found out can't go more than 6 inches from the front of the case before losing signal.

You need to attach the antenna to your motherboard. One should have come with it.

If you don't have an antenna you've got nothing because guess what, your case is a faraday cage which it turns out attenuates electromagnetic signals...like Bluetooth and Wifi.

:( Checked ASUS's website for the user guide and it looks like no antenna. Guess I'm using a cable, looking online BT extenders are pretty expensive.

Do this instead:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows-10-black/6253924.p?skuId=6253924

xbox controllers have really flaky bluetooth support in my experience. Meanwhile, this tiny little USB dongle gives you the same pairing and 2.4Ghz hardware they put in the consoles.

It works great, and you can support multiple controllers if needed.

Also also, definitely order only from best buy or Microsoft directly - there are a lot of 3rd party knockoffs on Amazon.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, I think I'm gonna step into EVGA's queue for an RTX 3080. Maybe whenever I get the email, I'll have put the money aside month after month to not rock the boat paying for it.

Or I'll be bitcoin rich. Think EVGA takes bitcoin?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    You know, I think I'm gonna step into EVGA's queue for an RTX 3080. Maybe whenever I get the email, I'll have put the money aside month after month to not rock the boat paying for it.

Just a FYI that EVGA is still working through the first few days of launch sign ups. You're better off trying your luck with the Discord channels or just waiting until stock starts to normalize at retail. It's a guaranteed slot but at the rate they're going you're slot might not open up until late Summer or Fall.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »

Just a FYI that EVGA is still working through the first few days of launch sign ups. You're better off trying your luck with the Discord channels or just waiting until stock starts to normalize at retail. It's a guaranteed slot but at the rate they're going you're slot might not open up until late Summer or Fall.

I might be ok with that. I should probably give myself more time to enjoy the 1999 and 2004 Retro PCs I built. Maybe let Cyberpunk 2077 get patched more. Tighten my belt a bit more to put some extra money away each month.

• Options
    let's put it this way. Other than the FTW3, the 3080s are still on 9/16 in the queues

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    lol I thought I was going to upgrade my GPU this year

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    If you have the benefit of being able to wfh, or at least pause your work to attend to a notification you have a decent shot at getting a 3*** series GPU.

You just need to have a stock notification stream or discord like Falcodrin going on in the background while you do whatever.

It's not impossible. You'll definitely get it much faster than waiting in a queue.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Do this instead:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows-10-black/6253924.p?skuId=6253924

xbox controllers have really flaky bluetooth support in my experience. Meanwhile, this tiny little USB dongle gives you the same pairing and 2.4Ghz hardware they put in the consoles.

It works great, and you can support multiple controllers if needed.

Also also, definitely order only from best buy or Microsoft directly - there are a lot of 3rd party knockoffs on Amazon.

Ordered one to try out. Love that's almost half the cost of a controller itself.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah the Xbox BT connection is odd, I had a BT dongle and whenever the battery got to exactly half in the controller it became really spotty.

Sometimes it would even cause my FPS to drop. It drove me nuts until I realized it was a battery issue.

When I got a new mobo though, I grabbed one with onboard BT and haven’t had an issue since.

Although I expect there is a little less input lag on the Microsoft 2.4 dongle.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I had problems with the wireless adapter on my PC, it lost signal and my Dark Souls character was going right in Majula forever and then took a reboot to re-connect.

So I just bought a USB cable and plugged it in

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    since 2017 there's been a glitch in MS's xbone controller bluetooth driver that causes some games to perform horribly while the controller's connected via bluetooth. I guess it still affects the new series x controllers; it's both hilarious and depressing they haven't fised this yet.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Email from CDW about my 3080 backorder!

It's getting canceled on the 22nd unless I contact them to say I'm fine with the tariff price hike, and also they're thinking it's gonna be late Q1 before anything comes in.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    since 2017 there's been a glitch in MS's xbone controller bluetooth driver that causes some games to perform horribly while the controller's connected via bluetooth. I guess it still affects the new series x controllers; it's both hilarious and depressing they haven't fised this yet.

Assassin's Creed has been of these games since Origins. My Razer laptop can run the new AC's at 1080p just fine, but the second I connect a controller via BT the performance tanks to unplayable levels. If I use the USB wireless dongle the problem doesn't occur.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    That bug only seems to occur when the controllers battery is 50% or less, at least from my testing. I had two sets of rechargeable batteries and realized it only happens at that point.

Dixon on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've had it happen in AC with my fully charged Elite controller, so who knows. All I know is the wireless dongle solves it for my wireless controllers.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Anyone undervolt their 3080? Has it helped thermals much? I noticed while playing AC: Origins that it's getting up to 78c which seems pretty normal but all the case fans in my O11 Dynamic XL kick on to high which gets really loud.

• Options
    Anyone undervolt their 3080? Has it helped thermals much? I noticed while playing AC: Origins that it's getting up to 78c which seems pretty normal but all the case fans in my O11 Dynamic XL kick on to high which gets really loud.

I undervolted my 3070 and got p decent results.

• Options

Yeah, undervolting actually let me push the clocks up a hair, since it was throttling it when it kept hitting 83

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, undervolting actually let me push the clocks up a hair, since it was throttling it when it kept hitting 83

I pushed the clocks without undervolting. How far did you manage to get by undervolting?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
This discussion has been closed.