As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    $300 to avoid all this bullshit is a fucking steal

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

especially if you don't have a bunch of stuff you intend to keep.

If you are doing a net new system, buying prebuilt is the only sane option right now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Here's what I'm thinking. Any thoughts or critiques? I'm not married to the Samsung 970 in particular, but it seemed fine? Bold are carryovers from the current system or things I've already got.

This machine will play games. Maybe a couple times a year fire up some hobby photo editing or something. Other than the CPU or GPU changes I mention below, I will probably ride this build for 9-10 years like I did the previous build.

Current, for context:
    Case: Fractal Arc-Midi
    Processor: Intel i5-3570
    Processor Cooling: Stock Intel
    Memory: 16 GB
    Video Card: nVidia 9800GTX+, replaced with nVidia 1070 some years ago
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
    Power Supply -Corsair 550
    Primary Drive - Some 6-9 year old 128GB SSD, I honestly can't remember when it was given to me.
    Secondary drives - 1x Crucial MX500 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 2TB

Case: - Fractal Meshify 2
    Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 3600, to be swapped with a 5800x or 5900x when available*
    Processor Cooling - Noctua NH-D15
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16
    Video Card - EVGA RTX 1070, to be swapped with something in the 3 generation, maybe? Someday?
    Motherboard - MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi
    Power Supply - Corsair RM750, 80+ Gold
    Primary Drive - Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Secondary Drives - 1x Crucial MX500 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 2TB

*Edit: I'm ten minutes from a Microcenter and Neweggs bullshit has put me off of them for good. So when I say when available, I mean when I can get one from the Microcenter. I can walk in and get a 3600 right now, who knows when the 58 or 59 shows up in stock again while I'm not at work.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! About what I figured.

I’m so out of date on technology that I don’t know where to begin designing a system and picking parts. If anyone here loves doing that, what should I keep an eye out for if I want to spend, say 1500ish? I’d like to get everything so I can give my old PC to my son.

Ryzen 5600X or 5800X with X570 motherboard
    GPU is lol? RTX 3070 or AMD 6800, depending on what you want
    16-32 GB of RAM
    1 TB NVME drive
    750-850 watt Gold PSU (don't cheap out here, plan to spend at least $100, likely more)

But above all, recognize that there ain't shit in stock anywhere, so don't break down and buy from ebay

5600X and 5800X are pretty obtainable now, but good luck running down a Ryzen 9. Then again, a 5800X is a stonking CPU that will last a long long time.

GPUs... buy what you can get.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

wait what is this, did I miss something?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

wait what is this, did I miss something?

Last page somebody was asking how bad the markup is on a prebuilt

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

If you are doing a net new system, buying prebuilt is the only sane option right now.

As long as the SI uses off-the-shelf parts, yeah 100%

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I'm seriously considering this option at the moment since my current computer setup is +10 years old and mostly hand-me-downs. I don't really care to save any of it.

Nothing is going to waste though and I'll just gift it to my parents.

It's just that I want that experience of putting together my own computer. I love me them electronic legos!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I feel like I'm the only one who likes the smell of freshly opened electronics

Yeah it's off-gassed VOC's, but it's good stuff

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm the only one who likes the smell of freshly opened electronics

Yeah it's off-gassed VOC's, but it's good stuff

I suspect very strongly that you're not alone here.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Isn't that the same as "new car smell"?

For prebuilt, keep in mind, most have a backlog of a month or 2 at least. That may still be preferable to having to try and rush for each card that gets dropped, but just something to keep in mind you might be waiting quite a while.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the ram help earlier folks but alas the mobo is only two slots so I had to buy him new stuff anyways

although I did find out that PC's power supply was 750w (wtf why did I buy that) so we just swapped those purchases around and he's golden.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    What is the real world difference between a rog hero VIII and an Aorus Master? Since I'm going to be building this over the course of a year, I can afford to get a bit fancy, but the fine details escape me. I want the one that's goodest for games and vr.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Here's what I'm thinking. Any thoughts or critiques? I'm not married to the Samsung 970 in particular, but it seemed fine? Bold are carryovers from the current system or things I've already got.

This machine will play games. Maybe a couple times a year fire up some hobby photo editing or something. Other than the CPU or GPU changes I mention below, I will probably ride this build for 9-10 years like I did the previous build.

Current, for context:
    Case: Fractal Arc-Midi
    Processor: Intel i5-3570
    Processor Cooling: Stock Intel
    Memory: 16 GB
    Video Card: nVidia 9800GTX+, replaced with nVidia 1070 some years ago
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
    Power Supply -Corsair 550
    Primary Drive - Some 6-9 year old 128GB SSD, I honestly can't remember when it was given to me.
    Secondary drives - 1x Crucial MX500 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 2TB

Case: - Fractal Meshify 2
    Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 3600, to be swapped with a 5800x or 5900x when available*
    Processor Cooling - Noctua NH-D15
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16
    Video Card - EVGA RTX 1070, to be swapped with something in the 3 generation, maybe? Someday?
    Motherboard - MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi
    Power Supply - Corsair RM750, 80+ Gold
    Primary Drive - Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Secondary Drives - 1x Crucial MX500 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 2TB

*Edit: I'm ten minutes from a Microcenter and Neweggs bullshit has put me off of them for good. So when I say when available, I mean when I can get one from the Microcenter. I can walk in and get a 3600 right now, who knows when the 58 or 59 shows up in stock again while I'm not at work.

This is very close to my new build (AIO cooler instead of Noctua, Corsair RMX 850 instead of 750) and the Samsung 970 is a great drive and deal right now (forget the PCIe v4 hype imo).

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    What is the real world difference between a rog hero VIII and an Aorus Master? Since I'm going to be building this over the course of a year, I can afford to get a bit fancy, but the fine details escape me. I want the one that's goodest for games and vr.

The actual, real world “I will notice this” difference is going to be the BIOS

Like compare ASUS and Gigabyte’s bios programs.

Edit: other actual you will notice differences from the spec sheets: the GB board has 3 M.2 slots over the ASUS board’s 2,

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Nothing really other than aesthetics and the number of USB ports (the Hero 8 does come in two versions: with or without WiFi so there is that too). There have been major cold boot issues with the Aorus Master but that's been an ongoing Gigabyte x570 issue for years. Still unresolved so proceed with caution. I'm pretty sure at least one person here is using the Aorus Master without any issues but it's a chance I'd personally rather not take. It's a shame because it's my favorite looking X570 board.

I'd also consider the MSI X570 Ace, Tomahawk, and Unify. The Tomahawk can be very hard to find in stock but the Unify is the best bang for the buck in the $300-400 boards and has zero RGB if that's something which appeals to you. It has RGB headers but no on board lights.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Also if you aren’t going to be spending a bunch of time in the BIOS tweaking timings and clock speeds there isn’t really much a $300-$400 board offers you that you won’t get from the same manufacturers’ $150-$250 boards

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Asus has an awesome BIOS (much better than, say, Asrock's) but Asus has this nasty habit of super over-segmenting their motherboards in terms of features. My board is $250 retail, I got it for $210, and it doesn't have wireless, BIOS flashback, or a 2-digit POST code display. I really prefer having the last one there, but it does have four color-coded diagnostic LEDs so it's kind of halfway there. And not having BIOS flashback in an over $200 board is ridiculous, but I didn't need it because I had a 2600x in my current rig and could use it to update the BIOS.

If you want a specific combination of features you might actually have a hard time finding it on an Asus board under $300, depending on your particulars. That's not necessarily true with other vendors. I echo the statements of others that an x570 board at/under $200 is probably going to give you everything you need if you're not super into manual overclocking. And especially if you're running a 5600x or equivalent instead of something like a 5900/5950x.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The plan is to drop in a 5900x or 5950x, whichever shows up at my local microcenter first. Because I have an 850 titanium power supply just sitting here, along with a darkbase pro 900 for the case, and a gifted rtx 2070, most of my cost is already paid. I can go a little nuts on the mobo. I was thinking about doing all aorus, ram mobo and aio.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Gigabytes x570 bios is not well organised for some stuff which is a pain in the arse whenever you need to find something that should be in X place in any other bios but isn't because gigabyte. Or they call it something else because gigabyte.

It likely won't be an issue if you aren't overclocking though. Most of the stock stuff is where it makes sense. They just didn't put too much thought into where they put some of the OC stuff.

Asus bios is supposed to be better organised and pretty decent.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you aren’t tweaking settings and doing some higher lvl OC, a mobo won’t really give you more fps.

I’d save the money for a newer GPU down the road personally. You could always go a higher end CPU, larger drives or more memory.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also keep in mind that buying a top of the line x570 motherboard right now is a TINY bit of a waste, as this is a "dead end" generation for AMD. The next time you upgrade your processor, you will at a minimum be upgrading the motherboard as well.

I know thats been the norm on the intel side for a while, but AMD has managed multiple generations off of the current B/X chipsets.

Would be nice if they kept that up next CPU, and the chipsets on that side of the jump last a few processor generations as well.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If you go with gigabyte, buty a 3rd party warranty. Their rma service will fuck you over at the first chance they get

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    for checking stock, i present two links (i think someone else mentioned hotstock):
    https://www.hotstock.io/us
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvt3HwrMLAo

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Computer: BUILT

This is the first time I have an M.2 drive, and god damn is this fast.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @expendable if you're going to a Microcenter, the drives by Inland are very good. They make both NVME and 2.5" form factors now.

Get an associate to help you pull everything together since they may know about combo deals. They may have in-store markdowns on PSUs as well (I picked up a 550W Cooler Master from them at one point because it was $30 and I could use it as a known-good for troubleshooting )

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @expendable if you're going to a Microcenter, the drives by Inland are very good. They make both NVME and 2.5" form factors now.

Get an associate to help you pull everything together since they may know about combo deals. They may have in-store markdowns on PSUs as well (I picked up a 550W Cooler Master from them at one point because it was $30 and I could use it as a known-good for troubleshooting )

I’ve got an Inland 2 TB NVMe drive and it has worked perfectly, so I can second this recommendation.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Computer: BUILT

This is the first time I have an M.2 drive, and god damn is this fast.

Yeah man.

Feels fn good to boot up your PC and be in the Windows login screen 5 seconds after the mobo startup is done.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yea POST is by far the longest part of the boot sequence for me

• Options
    yea POST is by far the longest part of the boot sequence for me

Yeah, first time I booted it just felt wrong.

• Options
    I definitely need better cooling, though - this case is pretty much made for watercooling so the end goal is an AIO, but for now I'll get another 3-pack of fans. At the moment I have three intake, one outtake.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You may want to add a passive heatsink for your NVME at some point

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You may want to add a passive heatsink for your NVME at some point

Good news! Motherboard has one.

2imgkfe9fubs.png

• Options
    Also, current state of the case. The video card sags a bit, I'll add a shim between it and the fans,

ni04qovrtigr.jpg

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Is that the O11 Dynamic Mini? I'd be tempted to move the motherboard up so that GPU has a little more room to breathe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Is that the O11 Dynamic Mini? I'd be tempted to move the motherboard up so that GPU has a little more room to breathe.

Yep, that's the one. And yeah, had that thought myself. I'll need to do a partial teardown when I add more cooling anyway, so I'll see if a mini-ITX fits one slot above.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I'm noticing a lot of recommendations for the X570 motherboards over a B550 motherboard? Any particular reason people are suggesting these motherboards if the posters aren't looking for something for overclocking? A quick check indicates a $50-$100 price difference between the two.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I'm noticing a lot of recommendations for the X570 motherboards over a B550 motherboard? Any particular reason people are suggesting these motherboards if the posters aren't looking for something for overclocking? A quick check indicates a $50-$100 price difference between the two.

I usually recommend X570 boards for people getting 105W TDP chip and a B550 for those getting a 65W TDP chip, since the X570 is a bit sturdier and has more features on it and is built to take higher power delivery.

The B550 is for people running mid-range PC's (70 series and under Nvidia, 3600/5600X chips from AMD, etc) and aren't doing any overclocking.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

X570 also has much better support for PCIe-4.0, more NVMe slots (which are all Gen4), more USB ports, more robust VRM's, and often don't cost that much more than B550. When B550 boards are in the mid-$200 range it makes sense to just spend a bit more and go for the X570 boards in the same price range.

I don't look at the motherboard as a place where I can save money. When I'm already spending $2000 what's another $50-100 to get a really nice motherboard with robust cooling, features, and better looks? Even if I never really use some of the features I just really like have a higher end motherboard.

That said when I build my current/new computer I considered all the X570 boards in the $275-400 range and felt that the MSI X570 Unify was the best bang for the buck. All of the high end features, minus RGB, and was the cheapest one by far. Had the X570 Tomahawk been available at the time I might have gone with that, but it wasn't so the Unify was the next best choice for what I needed/wanted in a motherboard. The Asus X570 Hero VIII was my next choice but at $80 more the only thing it had over the Unify were more USB ports. While I don't have a set budget when building a computer there is a point when something is just too expensive. The Hero VIII falls into that category as did the "high end" 3080's.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The motherboard manufacturer isn't where I'd save money, or if it has certain critical things (good VRMs, for example). Beyond that, it's a tradeoff of desired features/possible future-proofing vs. budget.

This discussion has been closed.