As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jessica Walter Memorial [TV] Thread

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Watching Alice in Borderland.

Not gonna lie, some of those puzzles would have totally killed me.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I watched maybe the first coupla seasons of The Office and maybe some later eps here and there and I think I'm good for a very long ass time.

Every other month i hear the theme start from my roommates room and I'm like aw shit here goes another full series watch through and weeks of that stupid song now fucking drown me. How one seriously stand that stuff so often. How.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Folks loving The Office was always weird to me, because I didn't watch it at all when it was airing.

I was watching 30 Rock instead.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as workplace comedy/drama goes I just watched Scrubs.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn't like the UK Office, but it had the courage of its convictions. These are awful people doing pointless jobs.
    The US Office wanted me to care - every time I watched it, I felt somehow unclean.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i didn't watch the office until a year or two ago? maybe three? i instantly understood why people got hooked.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    people who list watching the office as their main personality trait on dating sites are even more exhausting than my posts

Keep jesus first, love the office second.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    disliking 30 Rock is the closest thing I have to an actually controversial opinion

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    disliking 30 Rock is the closest thing I have to an actually controversial opinion

According to the comic forum (RIP) thinking that superman can beat thor is controversal!

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    this is the only good Office bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6lFkOg7ko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopWqv-eQFM

This is the one that gets me.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    The most depressing thing for me was listening to a bunch of zoomers talk about what they would do if they won lottery

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I just remembered, I recently read in a reddit comment that in a newer episode of The Simpsons, they establishment that Homer essentially stole their house from grandpa. He gave it to them with the promise that they would take care of him and then they obviously did not do that. So in addition to a job he can never get fired from that's a pretty big financial advantage.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I rewatch episodes of shows all the time but a series rewatch on a more than annual time frame seems nuts to me.

Im medium on the office. I dont like it much as I did when I was in my 20s but theres epiaodes and clips I rewatch on occasion.

I maintain they missed a huge opportunity to do a series of animated shorts called Prank wars or something that is just cold opens and Jim pranks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I love some seasons of The Office and 30 Rock dearly and have seen them multiple times. I got tired of both shows around halfway through their runs though and never bothered to finish either of them.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    The most depressing thing for me was listening to a bunch of zoomers talk about what they would do if they won lottery

Im afraid to ask

I mean we have lotto threads here sometimes and I assume were all sort of lying about what we'd do but its mostly optimistic

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Vive le Caillou

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Omelette du Caillou

• Options
    edited January 2021
    My fondest memory of Caillou is mocking it so much my then 3 year old neice stopped watching it with me in the room
    I did feel bad about it but that show is an awful thing for kids to watch

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    is it, or are you just not its target audience?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

The greatest strength of The Office lay in everyone who wasn't Pam and Jim and Michael.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Hopefully they'll move on to the story of Caillou's adulthood: One Punch Man.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »

Im afraid to ask

I mean we have lotto threads here sometimes and I assume were all sort of lying about what we'd do but its mostly optimistic

Oh no, it’s just their big payoff goals are heart achingly small.

Pay off my mum’s credit card bill
    Get my sore tooth looked at
    Buy a house in Mangere (solidly working class suburb)
    Take my whole family to Hobbiton

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

He is an incredibly selfish child with enabler parents from what I recall

• Options
    Oh no my friend, it is a nightmare show. I don’t understand how it was allowed to air. Cursory googling will open that particular Pandora’s box for you

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

The greatest strength of The Office lay in everyone who wasn't Pam and Jim and Michael.

keep pam's name out of your mouth!!

• Options
    None of my time spent watching The Office led me to believe that Pam is an interesting character. She mainly serves as a straight foil for characters who are much more interesting and funny than her.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    None of my time spent watching The Office led me to believe that Pam is an interesting character. She mainly serves as a straight foil for characters who are much more interesting and funny than her.

Nobody fails at pretty much everything quite like Pam

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

He is an incredibly selfish child with enabler parents from what I recall

Very much.

Which did lead to someone trying to convince me that it was all because Caillou had cancer (thus the bald head), and that's why his parents just enabled his shittiness instead of teaching him to be better.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I mean I like the office because I’ve been there, it’s about the drudgery dealing with the bullshit of working in a place that kind of sucks and surviving for that paycheck. I’ve had just ignorant bosses, old lady coworkers and anal coworkers. I like it because I relate to the dullness and the struggle of putting up with other people and the things you do to get yourself until the end of the week. It’s comforting in that sense. And I’ll happily watch it again from season two until Michael’s last episode and then start again.

30 rock we got into after bringing the first three or so seasons, and it was funny at the time, but by the end of it, it became a parody of itself and less funny, and now on reflection has some pretty poor views regarding intersectional feminism and I don’t have a lot of interest in watching it again.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Office was mostly fine and should have ended when Michael left. Ed Helms is a net negative to the show and makes it noticeably worse as he gains prominence.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm working a dead end job in a cubicle, maybe the office is too real for me

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I worked at a public library at the time and the Office was too real for me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I worked at a public library at the time and the Office was too real for me.

Conversely this is why I like it. I mean, I have spent more than one morning pulling dumb practical jokes on people when I could have been doing work, and conversely I’ve taken long hard essentially camera stares at co workers when the manager has spouted a bullshit, impossible, unfair, deadline.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i guess i'm an office character because i had a coworker once tell me "you make the funniest faces whenever management talks to us"

it was usually a baffled look and then shaking my head at their dumb ideas; i didn't think anyone noticed

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can't relate to The Office as I have only ever worked in an office for two months before jumping out of a corporate accounting job.

For me the relatable TV shows are:
    -- Parks & Recreation
    -- Those Who Can't
    -- Vice Principals

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Cubicles are aspirational now, you're not open plan?

• Options
    AP Bio was very relatable. I’ve met real teachers like that.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the only office job I ever worked was at the rented office of a fake company so I mostly spent my days watching Newsradio and Kids in the Hall while trying not to learn anything I'd be required to reveal to a grand jury.

do you have any idea how hard it is to be every character in The Office at once?

This discussion has been closed.