As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What’s the best Soulsborne game?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Can I vote for The Bourne Identity itt?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2
    This latest Nioh 2 patch seems to have fucked things up quite a bit. Crashes are back, and sometimes on the main map screen all the ui text just vanishes completely until you reload the game.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    The Armoured Spider in Demon's Souls is just hilariously easy with magic, my goodness

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2
    I don't know if it's fist weapons in general or this Hayabusa set in specific, but they've become completely ri-goddamn-diculous. Once I got the perk that makes them increase in damage the more I keep punching things just went off the rails. Plus they attack so fast that the 22 healing per melee hit adds up pretty quickly.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Bloodborne Cut Content - Doll Alpha Version - Unused Dialogue and Alternate Voice Actress 11:22
    https://youtu.be/EWoKbVJ-pF0

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bloodborne
    Demon of hatred is maybe the only boss in Sekiro I don't like, so I have no moral qualms about cheating every single time

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Sekiro
    I like the demon of hatred but I also like that you can cheese him if you want to

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne
    I died to Ceaseless Discharge so many times until I read that it has to chase you from the end where it’s activated or it won’t leap at you

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    I voted for the only one I've played

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Dark Souls 2
    I change my vote for the one with Ceaseless Discharge because it's cool they named a boss after me.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    I just beat
    Genichiro in the Ashina tower

In Sekiro. That was a super fun fight, even though it only took a few tries. The mechanics really come together for that fight. I feel like having him be just a biy slower makes him so much more fun and less frustrating compared to, say,
    lone shadow, the ninja in your well

• Options
    Sekiro
    Well, i spoke too soon about the main bosses being comparatively easy. I just fought
    the guardian ape

And it probably took between 30 and 40 tries to beat him. Funnily enough, like most parts of sekiro, the key for me was to stay in close and parry.
    especially the big overhand slash he does in phase 2. I found it easy to parry, and it stuns him for a good long time.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Bloodborne
    burbo wrote: »
    Well, i spoke too soon about the main bosses being comparatively easy. I just fought
    the guardian ape

And it probably took between 30 and 40 tries to beat him. Funnily enough, like most parts of sekiro, the key for me was to stay in close and parry.
    especially the big overhand slash he does in phase 2. I found it easy to parry, and it stuns him for a good long time.

One thing I learned that changed that fight for me.
    You don't have to dodge his attacks like at all. Even his shit bomb is blockable with zero or little chip damage.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I died to Ceaseless Discharge so many times until I read that it has to chase you from the end where it’s activated or it won’t leap at you

I could never get to work. So I just cheesed him by baiting arm slams into the back hall and chipping him down. He can only do the one attack and then he just leaves his arm there for you to beat up. Takes a little bit, but it's safe.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Sekiro
    Butters wrote: »
    the guardian ape

One thing I learned that changed that fight for me.
    You don't have to dodge his attacks like at all. Even his shit bomb is blockable with zero or little chip damage.

Yeah, there is so much retraining from the other Souls games, in terms of just standing and fighting, and relying on your reflexes and pattern recognition to carry you through. Even if a guy is as huge and scary as this dude, you can still stand and fight with him.

I think that the much fabled "get it" or "click" is starting to happen, despite the dozens of attempts on this guy. A lot of the mid bosses are coming much easier, even taking only one try for
    centipede guy, since I just stand at fought with him and was able to pretty much everything in his long ass combo. I think Butterfly was the impetus to start getting it, since her attacks do little enough damage that there is actually room to miss some parrys and still survive, in contrast to horse guy, or even Juzuo who will just flatten you if you miss-time or miss-guess something.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2
    Watching a video on some guy cheesing or cruising through all the Sekiro fights was eye opening as to just how easy it could be once the system fully clicked.

• Options
    Sekiro
    yeah I spent the last few days playing Sekiro from a fresh save and I don't think I took any deaths until like...O'Rin of the Water, which was mainly because I was trying to get cute with ashina cross

• Options
    Sekiro
    Don't say that. I want to live in the fantasy land where the Guardian Ape is as difficult as it gets.

• Options
    Sekiro
    Don't say that. I want to live in the fantasy land where the Guardian Ape is as difficult as it gets.
    guardian ape isn't the hardest fight

guardian ape isn't even the hardest fight featuring a monkey

guardian ape isn't even the hardest fight featuring two monkeys

• Options
    Sekiro
    Well ok, that sounds pretty bad, but surely, there isnt anyone more difficult than the random purple ninja guy guarding the mist raven. That fucker killed me so many times, i am CERTAIN that he must be the pinnacle of difficulty this game has to offer.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Sekiro
    Well ok, that sounds pretty bad, but surely, there isnt anyone more difficult than the random purple ninja guy guarding the mist raven. That fucker killed me so many times, i am CERTAIN that he must be the pinnacle of difficulty this game has to offer.

i've platinumed this game, beaten it like 6 times, and I STILL have a hard time with those goddamn ninjas

• Options
    Sekiro
    Shorty wrote: »
    guardian ape isn't the hardest fight

guardian ape isn't even the hardest fight featuring a monkey

guardian ape isn't even the hardest fight featuring two monkeys

So, thinking of this message, i got to the
    folding monkeys fight

And was like, i dont know why shorty thought that was hard, but there were certainly more monkeys.

But then i got to
    the headless ape

And was like, ohhhhhhhh. Now things atr making more sense.

HOWEVER, i did take them down in like 12-15 tries, which was much better than the previous boss.

It was also optional for me, as i had already traveled to the area beyond before the 1st encounter.

• Options
    Sekiro
    And actually, the guy who ive fought like 20 times and never even got one deathblow in is the
    shamizen warrior. Im also too terrified (literally, in the game sense) to really fuck with any of the headless

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    The Corrupted Monk gave me such a hard time both times you fight'm in Sekiro.

Favorite boss fight by far though in Souls games though.

• Options
    I was told Ghost of Tsushima is not a Souls game. Can somebody tell me why that is? Or is it just this weird nebulous definition that is a bit different for everyone?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dark Souls
    I got the vague impression tsushima was more of an assassin's creed but with samurai

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Sekiro
    Playing in the Mibu village now. Its really fun with the
    bestowal ninjitsu

Just mass slaughter. Its a nice bit of making you feel powerful for a while.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I got the vague impression tsushima was more of an assassin's creed but with samurai

correct

• Options

I don't even know what that means or why that means Tsushima isn't a Souls-like.

• Options
    Dark Souls
    have you played assassin's creed games? they don't play much like the dark souls games

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Dark Souls
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I don't even know what that means or why that means Tsushima isn't a Souls-like.

Since all games have become action rpgs it's harder to explain to someone who hasn't played them why these games are different from each other, but some primary things would be the checkpointing system in Souls games (bonfires or their equivalents) is pretty distinct. Using a bonfire will cause all enemies to respawn, and in most soulslikes you will refresh your healing items and/or other resources when using them. When you die, you drop all of your experience or money resources and respawn at the bonfire, but if you make it back to the spot you died you recover them. Souls game levels are intricate and usually involve several permanent shortcuts and skips (such as kicking down a ladder) that will allow you to more quickly get to/from bonfires and areas. Souls levels you can think of as being laid out more like a metroid but not really? You can very quickly tell when a game is souls inspired because their level design will be set up like this - Nioh, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, etc. Souls games also tend to have very deliberate combat that lock you into animations when you start an attack, and have a heavy emphasis on stamina management, dodging/iframes, and a parry system.

Tsushima, as folks have pointed out, is a big open world action game more in the vein of assassin's creed.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Sekiro
    Goddamit. Im the world's dumbest boy. Ughhh. One guess as to why.

The worst part is, i cant even be mad. Like, what didi think would happen?

• Options
    Dark Souls 2
    In Dark Souls if you get surrounded by enemies you are 10,000% fucked.

In Tsushima if you get surrounded by enemies you throw down a smoke bomb, start lobbing actual bombs in between one-shotting people from "stealth", and climb to a high vantage to being sniping whoever's left before hiding in the bushes until everyone forgot you existed and startle at the sight of corpses wondering where they came from despite being in the brawl a few minutes ago.

• Options
    Dark Souls
    We can list a hundred little reasons souls games and assassin's creed games don't feel like the same kind of game except in the broadest of strokes of being 3D action games, but it seems kind of obviously self-evident if you've played both of them? Do we need to list reasons?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark Souls 2

Treasure on top of the hut with no enemies nearby?

• Options
    Sekiro
    Madican wrote: »

Treasure on top of the hut with no enemies nearby?

I wish. Much worse.