As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shadowlands: Chains of Domination June 29th!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    We wouldn't accept a bad guy "just being an asshole villain" if he was throwing around homophobic slurs, I'm not sure why you're giving a pass on a sexist slur.

If it fit the storyline and audience of the game, I would absolutely accept a bad guy throwing around homophobic slurs. He'd be the bad guy. Related, that's also why I'm not put out by them removing the line from Garrosh. WoW is for a younger / all audience.

I think this is a pretty lousy thing to accept, honestly. You should demand better from your entertainment than demonstrating that someone is a bad guy by shitting on marginalized groups who already have to deal with that in real life. Fridging sucks, and using slurs is just a shorthand version of fridging.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Kamar wrote: »
    Garrosh also has a pretty sizeably fashy fanbase, in part because of moments that resonated with them like that.
    Hell, what he does in the current patch is pure fanservice for that crowd. It's not the dismal last moments of an asshole villain, it's pure Garrosh Did Nothing Wrong energy.

While I'm sure that's true because fashy fanbases are everywhere, a big part of why people reacted the way they did to that cutscene is because Garrosh was allowed to stay an irredeemable asshole all the way to his end and beyond. That's appealing in the age of Blizzard going "actually you're now BFFs with every major villain you've ever killed."

admanb on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    We wouldn't accept a bad guy "just being an asshole villain" if he was throwing around homophobic slurs, I'm not sure why you're giving a pass on a sexist slur.

If it fit the storyline and audience of the game, I would absolutely accept a bad guy throwing around homophobic slurs. He'd be the bad guy. Related, that's also why I'm not put out by them removing the line from Garrosh. WoW is for a younger / all audience.

I think this is a pretty lousy thing to accept, honestly. You should demand better from your entertainment than demonstrating that someone is a bad guy by shitting on marginalized groups who already have to deal with that in real life. Fridging sucks, and using slurs is just a shorthand version of fridging.

I dunno, personally that feels like pretending these problems don't exist (to me anyways). I'd rather something be brave enough to deal with touchy subjects like that and trust their audience to understand they aren't advocating for those things (as long as it serves the overall story anyways.. they shouldn't just randomly be throwing out homophobic slurs in a work that doesn't deal with that issue in some way).

That's just my opinion though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Media and art should absolutely address and discuss bigotry, but it requires care and sensitivity (and it actually being, like, a focus of the story). Randomly calling a woman "bitch" or a gay man a homophobic slur while nowhere else grappling with the bigotry underlying those slurs isn't actually a discussion of the issue, it's just pointing at it and using it for shock value.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Media and art should absolutely address and discuss bigotry, but it requires care and sensitivity (and it actually being, like, a focus of the story). Randomly calling a woman "bitch" or a gay man a homophobic slur while nowhere else grappling with the bigotry underlying those slurs isn't actually a discussion of the issue, it's just pointing at it and using it for shock value.

Yeah, if you're actually trying to tackle the issue of homophobia, then having your villains use homophobic slurs makes sense.

Otherwise, stick to knife-ears.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I disagree with that viewpoint and in the belief that it's a shorthand version of fridging. While I'll say again that I had no problem with it being removed from WoW since it felt inappropriate for the general audience feel of the game (only murder and death please k thx), if we're discussing it from an overall sense, if it's an attempt at a realistic story with realistic characters, I think it's fine. Sometimes, a character is a hateful asshole who hates everyone.

We could probably have a fun and more involved debate, but it's probably too much for a Shadowlands thread.

….so, how about that Elune letting her favored children die, NOT become Wisps, and all in a vain attempt to help Ardenweald, eh?!

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    ….so, how about that Elune letting her favored children die, NOT become Wisps, and all in a vain attempt to help Ardenweald, eh?!

I've only read bits and pieces of this but yeah, it feels like they kind of jumped the shark with this one. I think I'd be ok with something like this if it were some other god (it feels like a very "godlike" thing to do to think of mortals as pawns for their own desires), but Elune was pretty well established already so it really really doesn't feel like something she would do :/ But then I've been overly unhappy with the writing for awhile now. (I'm still beyond baffled at all the Illidan stuff in Legion.. I was waiting so damn long for that stupid wind chime fawning over him murdering tons of people to be revealed as evil... and then, nope, it was just straight up played off as Illidan is Jesus...)

Edit: I will say, from what I understand of the whole thing, I kind of like the idea of where this story was going? I just think it was executed really poorly. But from what I have heard and seen, it looked like it was tying back in to the Spirit of Vengeance lore from WarCraft 3 (aka the Warden's ultimate spell) which I think is a fun topic for them to explore. But apparently they did a really butts job of doing it which is disappointing.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The irritating thing about all of this...100% of every current story beat in Shadowlands is that we do not know anyone's motivations. Not anyone.

We don't know why Sylv sided with the Jailer or what she got out of the deal. We don't know what the Jailer's motivations are or why he wants to unmake reality. We don't know why Elune, who gave the power of the Night Warrior to Tyrande so she could enact revenge on Sylvanas, suddenly pulled her power and support in the act of completing the mission. We don't know why Elune favors the Night Elves. We don't know why she allowed her favored children to die other than a vague assertion that she wanted to help Ardenweald. But why?

And also. Let's think about this.

The Winter Queen is mad because she asked Elune for help, and Elune ignored her and didn't help. But actually she did help, the help just wasn't received. Clearly there's some form of channel of communication there, since the Winter Queen asked for help. So why didn't the Winter Queen also elaborate a bit more on why she needed help? Why was Elune aware that they needed help, but not specifically what kind of help they needed? Is a massive influx of souls honestly the best way to help?

The problem is that there's an anima drought, and the cosmic sorting hat seems to have gone dormant so the entire cosmic machine of the afterlife has ground to a halt. And somehow Elune's solution to helping that problem was "here's more souls." What did she think was going to happen? Why was allowing a bunch of mortals to die her solution to the anima drought? Or the solution to anything at all?

These characters are just all so illogical. Blizzard's entire storytelling relies on characters acting out-of-character, acting illogically, and never thinking about anything, never considering the consequences, and never acting in a realistic manner. Ever.

• Options
    Clearly, it's time to emulate Planes of Power from Everquest and take on the gods. Elune must die.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Clearly, it's time to emulate Planes of Power from Everquest and take on the gods. Elune must die.

The scary thing is that I would not be surprised if the game went there too...

Edit: Jesus

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    So, there's a story about the Cosby Suite business: https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-developers-infamous-bill-cosby-suite-1847378762

There's a picture of eight people posing with a framed picture of Bill Cosby.

In addition to Alex Afrasiabi, the following people are directly named as being involved: David Kosak, Cory Stockton, Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) and Jesse McCree.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    @UrQuanLord88 joined my fledgling guild (and a few PUGs) that formed from the ashes of a dead raiding guild for our inaugural raid and helped us clear 10/10 N in just over three hours despite having only a couple people who had seen the whole raid.

Also the Balance Druid that plays with the #3 M+ team in all of S1 (yumytv/growl/petzergling's team) queued for our Normal Sylvanas kill? That was pretty strange.

probably trying to kill her for the guaranteed Shard before Mythic.

yeah, that's what I assumed. It just felt like, why us? We listed as a rando group, half of which weren't even 5/10N when we started, with like a 215 ilvl requirement. I guess there probably weren't a lot of N Sylvanas groups up on a Tuesday night and everyone knows that "one-shot" and "6/10M leader" and "link AOTC" groups are a huge trap, but still.

what's funny is we had two big DPS drop because we refused to kick the rSham that had never seen the fight before and died twice (they'd been with us since we started and were solid the entire time -- there was no way we were booting them for a couple mistakes in a new-to-them fight) and within a minute of posting the group we had like 40 230+ DPS applying for two spots. Then we one-shot it. Fools.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    So, there's a story about the Cosby Suite business: https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-developers-infamous-bill-cosby-suite-1847378762

There's a picture of eight people posing with a framed picture of Bill Cosby.

In addition to Alex Afrasiabi, the following people are directly named as being involved: David Kosak, Cory Stockton, Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) and Jesse McCree.

This one is even worse given the accusations -

9acb85d348b577cfd2864f39f40cb196.jpg

Maybe it's because I've only worked at essentially mega corps, but the stupidity of this is breathtaking.

• Options
    Yeah that chat is uh

fuckin' yikes

• Options
    Maybe it's because I've only worked at essentially mega corps, but the stupidity of this is breathtaking.

If they don't completely ban alcohol from the office and company social events as part of their "cleanup" after this shit I'd be extremely surprised

• Options
    Here's a tweet from Ghostcrawler just couple of days ago:

I was only talking about the video, and really only because @tha_rami brought it up, and I respect the hell out of him. I wasn’t trying to call whatever happened at Blizzard an accident. I hope I didn’t contribute to that and I even hope I made the culture a little better…

I'm sure the Cosby Suite appreciated your non-contributing cultural improvements, Greg.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    The idea that Elune had no idea what was going on in the Shadowlands when it was so cataclysmic and all-encompassing is really... not... great.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    To be fair, we don't know if Greg actually did anything up there beyond pose for that picture (I think? I can't read the Kotaku article atm). He still shouldn't have gone up though. I imagine he'll get pressured to address it on twitter tho. Out of everyone in that chat, I could maybe believe he was peer pressured into going (if that's actually what happened, I dunno). Doesn't absolve him tho.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    To be fair, we don't know if he actually did anything up there beyond pose for that picture (I think? I can't read the Kotaku article atm). He still shouldn't have gone up though. I imagine he'll get pressured to address it on twitter tho

Someone found this tweet from him from 2013.

There must always be a Cosby Suite.
    #takingoverfromKosak #absurdProclamations

I guess that means the crab named after Ghostcrawler will also be gone soon.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    To be fair, we don't know if he actually did anything up there beyond pose for that picture (I think? I can't read the Kotaku article atm). He still shouldn't have gone up though. I imagine he'll get pressured to address it on twitter tho

Someone found this tweet from him from 2013.

There must always be a Cosby Suite.
    #takingoverfromKosak #absurdstatements

Ok, then nevermind! (edit: Why do you even tweet something like that? That's beyond stupid, even without the context behind it...)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Because the culture you're immersed in has so embraced the idea that rape is a haha funny joke that even when it's happening right in front of you you're still capable of laughing it it off as "oh but no one was actually raped in the Cosby suite. If anything we were laughing at Afrasabi because of how creepy and aggressive he can be!"

• Options
    edited July 2021
    admanb wrote: »
    Because the culture you're immersed in has so embraced the idea that rape is a haha funny joke that even when it's happening right in front of you you're still capable of laughing it it off as "oh but no one was actually raped in the Cosby suite. If anything we were laughing at Afrasabi because of how creepy and aggressive he can be!"

Yeah but out of context it just comes off as kind of bad to an average person in 2013 reading that tweet (like "What the hell is a Cosby Suite?"). I'm kind of surprised no one caught it before now.

Also just saw this:

Sounds like Ghostcrawler was also luring women up there :/

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    A sort of startlingly good illustration of both what the term "rape culture" means in practice and how it influences even ostensibly well meaning men.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Apparently Ghostcrawler is now an executive at Riot in charge of fixing THEIR toxic sexist work culture? Nice, great, awesome.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    They claim is that the Cosby suite was so named because the terrible hotel decor vs Cosby's terrible sweaters. All of this happened in 2013 - Cosby had been rumored and accused in the early 2000s, but it wasn't until 2014 when it exploded thanks to the Hannibal Buress bit. Honestly, if you'd told me prior to the Hannibal bit that Cosby was a serial rapist, I'd have laughed in your face, I think most people would have. Olivia Grace chalks it up to being from England and not knowing about the allegations. That said, I'd heard previously that Afrasiabi's womanizing was what drove the Cosby suite name, so they were/might have been aware of the rumors and jokingly run with it.

People have found a few tweets with the Cosby portrait now in other Blizzard dev's twitter feeds.

Looking back now, we can scratch our heads and wonder why you'd post something incriminating to your twitter feed. Feeling untouchable, unaware or hey, it's just a joke?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Definitely feeling untouchable. People push the limit, and when they aren't rebuked they normalize that behavior in their minds.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Was it widely accepted in 2013 what Cosby had done? I'm not really sure what words to use to describe this but to me it feels like this looks worse retroactively than it was at the time - though it of course it would never have been good.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    You don't say "I'm gathering the hot chixx for the Coz" cause you're hanging out in ugly sweaters and eating jello

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I believe he'd been accused, there were rumors going back to 2005 or so - but it didn't really break until 2014. Ghostcrawler has replied about the pics floating around; he said the picture went from convention to convention and it was just some odd thing they dragged around. The hot chixx in question? It was Dave Kosak's wife and her friend that he was bringing.

I mean, could be, or maybe not. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ It's kind of pushing into... well, Cosby territory. "What? Bill Cosby isn't a rapist!" 30 accusers later, "Well, ok I admit, it doesn't look good for the Coz."

Nosf on
  • Options
    Was it widely accepted in 2013 what Cosby had done? I'm not really sure what words to use to describe this but to me it feels like this looks worse retroactively than it was at the time - though it of course it would never have been good.

The reporting on Cosby started in 2005 with pretty high profile stories that just kinda went nowhere, and I remember by 2009/2010 at least in the circles I was running in it being at least generally accepted that he'd done some sketchy shit, even if all the details weren't known yet. So I don't know how much plausible deniability they have here.

• Options
    Like even if their meaning wasn't "ha ha we're going to sexually assault these women," by 2013 that aspect of Cosby was enough in the public consciousness that what they were saying was in astoundingly poor taste.

That said, I think what is much more damning in those chat logs is the objectifying way they speak about women.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    They claim is that the Cosby suite was so named because the terrible hotel decor vs Cosby's terrible sweaters. All of this happened in 2013 - Cosby had been rumored and accused in the early 2000s, but it wasn't until 2014 when it exploded thanks to the Hannibal Buress bit. Honestly, if you'd told me prior to the Hannibal bit that Cosby was a serial rapist, I'd have laughed in your face, I think most people would have. Olivia Grace chalks it up to being from England and not knowing about the allegations. That said, I'd heard previously that Afrasiabi's womanizing was what drove the Cosby suite name, so they were/might have been aware of the rumors and jokingly run with it.

People have found a few tweets with the Cosby portrait now in other Blizzard dev's twitter feeds.

Looking back now, we can scratch our heads and wonder why you'd post something incriminating to your twitter feed. Feeling untouchable, unaware or hey, it's just a joke?

You know, despite everything I think I could buy that explanation. Was seeing a lot of people pointing out the Cosby stuff wasn't really well known until 2014 so yeah, I guess I could understand that being why they had the Cosby picture (I also kind of wondered if there might have been some kind of joke with David Kosak's name - a "Cos" and "Kos" kinda thing)

But yeah, maybe Afrasabi was aware of it though? Hard to say.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

The reporting on Cosby started in 2005 with pretty high profile stories that just kinda went nowhere, and I remember by 2009/2010 at least in the circles I was running in it being at least generally accepted that he'd done some sketchy shit, even if all the details weren't known yet. So I don't know how much plausible deniability they have here.

Not so much plausible deniability, but I had thought that in 2013 the Cosby stuff in the wider consciousness was on the level of Marilyn Manson having some of his ribs removed, you know? In that context a group name like that is in poor taste but not quite on the level of "ha ha we are criminal sex pests"

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I am in awe of their inability to shut the fuck up, especially Ghostcrawler.

• Options
    posting through it is an art and one day someone will find the perfect combination of brush strokes that make it work

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

Not so much plausible deniability, but I had thought that in 2013 the Cosby stuff in the wider consciousness was on the level of Marilyn Manson having some of his ribs removed, you know? In that context a group name like that is in poor taste but not quite on the level of "ha ha we are criminal sex pests"

I find the Cosby reference incidental. I mean... they set up a room in the convention center hotel for BlizzCon during the show with the express intent of inviting their female coworkers there for sex. They could have called it the Mother Theresa Suite and it wouldn't make what they did any better. It's not really credible that any of them who were part of that chat group or posed for that pic didn't know what was going on.

Of the WoW principles past and present, so far it seems like only Kaplan and Ion didn't participate. Hard to believe that they didn't know, though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    why were they bringing a big portrait of bill cosby to their "let's lure some women up to be sexually inappropriate to" hotel room party

e: that was rhetorical question by the way, you fucking know the real reason it was the Cosby Room

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I’d like to think and hope and believe that Kaplan was above all that. But I also won’t let that optimistic hope blind me.

But seriously. Out of everyone at Blizzard, Kaplan is my hero. He’s the guy who persevered. He’s the guy the took the broken ashes of Titan and sculpted a masterpiece in Overwatch. And while I will not bury my head in the sand, I really do hope he wasn’t involved in this shit.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I’d like to think and hope and believe that Kaplan was above all that. But I also won’t let that optimistic hope blind me.

But seriously. Out of everyone at Blizzard, Kaplan is my hero. He’s the guy who persevered. He’s the guy the took the broken ashes of Titan and sculpted a masterpiece in Overwatch. And while I will not bury my head in the sand, I really do hope he wasn’t involved in this shit.

Jeff "Tigole Bitties" Kaplan? Don't kid yourself.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Jeff "Tigole Bitties" Kaplan? Don't kid yourself.

Yes, I realize that his moniker is terrible. But that’s a name he adopted during his EQ days. EQ came out in 1998. That was 23 years ago. Kaplan would have been in his late teens or early 20’s at that time. And teenage boys love boobs.

I’m not making excuses for him. Rather, I’m just making a factual statement. Lots of people say and do really dumb things at that age. Kaplan is not the only person to ever adopt an unfortunate online moniker when they are young and dumb.

This discussion has been closed.