As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Shadowlands: Chains of Domination June 29th!

• Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It's been that way for quite a while

I can't really pinpoint at what point town guards turned from something that would threaten even a geared raid tank tank into something a mage could happily tank 20 of, but it seems to have been an intentional change

Not even sure why guards exist at that point. So dumb.

Tried to get that sword in maldraxxus. My brother already has it so I asked him for help with it and I ended up failing to pull the sword. He told me 3 of the red mushrooms but apparently it is supposed to take 4 so that really fucking sucks. How often does the ballista WQ spawn?

Is there a different strength buff I can use besides two stacks of battle hardened?

Did you also chug the strength pot from the theatre of pain dudes on the east side?

I did. Got the potion from Nath, got the Mald one, got two stacks of the WQ buff and three mushrooms.

I like the idea of the achievement, it is pretty interesting. Just bummed I gotta wait for a while now. I was reading through wowhead and apparently it was way worse before.

Bummer. If it's just the weapon you're after, you can blow through your covenant campaign instead. Lots of gear to be had and you get a raid finder weapon token at the end.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I did not manage to hit 60 on my Death Knight. Got to 59. I'm pretty sure if I had warmode on and a gathering profession I would have hit 60 no problem and been able to the sorrowbane.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It's been that way for quite a while

I can't really pinpoint at what point town guards turned from something that would threaten even a geared raid tank tank into something a mage could happily tank 20 of, but it seems to have been an intentional change

Not even sure why guards exist at that point. So dumb.

Tried to get that sword in maldraxxus. My brother already has it so I asked him for help with it and I ended up failing to pull the sword. He told me 3 of the red mushrooms but apparently it is supposed to take 4 so that really fucking sucks. How often does the ballista WQ spawn?

Is there a different strength buff I can use besides two stacks of battle hardened?

Did you also chug the strength pot from the theatre of pain dudes on the east side?

I did. Got the potion from Nath, got the Mald one, got two stacks of the WQ buff and three mushrooms.

I like the idea of the achievement, it is pretty interesting. Just bummed I gotta wait for a while now. I was reading through wowhead and apparently it was way worse before.

Bummer. If it's just the weapon you're after, you can blow through your covenant campaign instead. Lots of gear to be had and you get a raid finder weapon token at the end.

Do I get renown doing the campaign? I haven't done much of the campaign stuff on my main because I honestly haven't really been into the shadowlands expansion and I'm mostly just goofing off with older content and I wanted to get my paladin decently geared in ret so I can try and farm taeshalach from aggramar in antorus.

I don't remember if any part of the campaign I've done so far gave me renown or not. I know some of the quests I can get from my covenant will give renown and doing dungeons gives a chance at them as a catch up mechanic.

Maybe I just need to pull my head out of my ass and give the shadowlands content another go. I haven't done anything in about two weeks on my main. I've been getting all my level 45 alts to 50, farming transmogs and other old shit, and then rushing my DK, Paladin, and next my Shaman to 60.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The game doesn't exactly explains how Renown catchup works so made a point of saving explanations of it:
    Renown catch up caps at level 15 this week. You can loot renown from callings, dungeons, etc until you reach level 15. After that you should do the campaign chapters and the two weekly quests. You shouldn't do the campaign or the weeklies until you hit the cap. (If you're not gonna hit the catch up renown cap before reset, be sure to complete the two weeklies so as to not set yourself back a week.)
    You can technically go from renown 1 to 26 in a single week if you're lucky on RNG drops.

TryCatcher on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean I saw this whole thing about the random dropped renown catchup basically capping at the point where you can get the rest of the way with the campaign. But I also saw people who did go beyond that and then just didn’t get renown for any extra stuff because there is a hard cap of what the normal max for that week is.

However you should always do the campaign quests as they unlock. It is 1 renown per chapter.

Btw it seems to me the fastest way to get those renown drops is raids. This includes lfr. I got 2 renown in 3 bosses in lfr on an alt. Even with lfr being what it is it was fairly quick

Is the WC3 remaster good now? I remember hearing a lot of bad stuff about it when it first came out. I kind of want the meat wagon mount and I also really liked WC3 so I'm hoping it isn't bad now.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    hush wrote: »
    it seems like that WQ pops up once a week or so

im sure this is not what you want to hear right now, but the biggest protip for that is to be in a raid group when you do the WQ - you can get 2 stacks and it won't complete the WQ, so after you flub up the rest of it you can go back and do it again on the same timer.

If I recall, you can actually get a third stack of the WQ buff if you're in the raid group, since there's a third ballista. May or may not allow you to skimp on a mushroom or a potion though, and I don't think I'd want to be the guy to test that, lol.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Oops. I told my friends "I'm gonna run hpally instead of rshaman if we're just doing another +2", fast forward a few days and now words like 'PTSD' are going around when I mention gearing my HPally more.

Not sure what the split was of me being rusty on HPally/me not at all knowing how to play glimmer/my weapon being like a 150/none of us knowing Sanguine Depths well/shaman being much stronger atm but it didn't go great. Past a certain point I was so flustered that I couldn't do mechanics right and kept hitting the ground.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is the WC3 remaster good now? I remember hearing a lot of bad stuff about it when it first came out. I kind of want the meat wagon mount and I also really liked WC3 so I'm hoping it isn't bad now.

The WC3 remaster failed on 3 levels:

1) It did not live up to the marketing promises, BlizzCon reveal, or 2019-era expectations for what constitutes a "good" remaster.
    2) It launched in a buggy state, both in the campaign and in the multiplayer modes, leaving many fans with a very bad first impression as game lobbies failed to open, campaign progress was halted, and so forth.
    3) It delivered less content than the original version of the game, specifically with regards to battle.net functionality. Yes. The 2003 bnet client is more feature rich than the 2019 Reforged version.

They have resolved most of the issues in number 2. So in that regard, yes it is better than it was.

However, they never did polish up the visuals, or deliver the high fidelity cutscenes that were promised, and even now there are screenshots that show things that simply do not exist in the version that was delivered to the public. And as for #3, the 2003 version of bnet is still better.

Also, much of the graphical redesigns were outsourced to a 3rd party, and they do not look like "Blizzard" character models or look like "Warcraft." Much of the actual remade content looks like a cheap mobile knockoff game.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Also, much of the graphical redesigns were outsourced to a 3rd party, and they do not look like "Blizzard" character models or look like "Warcraft." Much of the actual remade content looks like a cheap mobile knockoff game.

That same company has done work for a lot of games, such as Final Fantasy 14 and Bloodborne, and in those games everything fits in seamlessly. The art style of Reforged being as it is is entirely the fault of bad management on Blizzard's part.

1) It did not live up to the marketing promises, BlizzCon reveal, or 2019-era expectations for what constitutes a "good" remaster.
    2) It launched in a buggy state, both in the campaign and in the multiplayer modes, leaving many fans with a very bad first impression as game lobbies failed to open, campaign progress was halted, and so forth.
    3) It delivered less content than the original version of the game, specifically with regards to battle.net functionality. Yes. The 2003 bnet client is more feature rich than the 2019 Reforged version.

They have resolved most of the issues in number 2. So in that regard, yes it is better than it was.

However, they never did polish up the visuals, or deliver the high fidelity cutscenes that were promised, and even now there are screenshots that show things that simply do not exist in the version that was delivered to the public. And as for #3, the 2003 version of bnet is still better.

Thank you for the breakdown. Definitely doesn't seem worth buying at all which is a bummer cause I want that mount. At least I still have my original copies of WC3 to play.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Oops. I told my friends "I'm gonna run hpally instead of rshaman if we're just doing another +2", fast forward a few days and now words like 'PTSD' are going around when I mention gearing my HPally more.

Not sure what the split was of me being rusty on HPally/me not at all knowing how to play glimmer/my weapon being like a 150/none of us knowing Sanguine Depths well/shaman being much stronger atm but it didn't go great. Past a certain point I was so flustered that I couldn't do mechanics right and kept hitting the ground.

HPally is in a really rough spot right now, their kit has some big holes. They don't have the just straight up "numbers too low" tuning issues of Mistweaver but the spec itself is probably the most awkward of all the healing specs at the moment.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I just started messing around with HPally after not touching it since I was leveling through Chromie time, and I believe you've described four significant problems and one that's not exactly true but still applicable.
    • "me being rusty on HPally" -- yes. HPally isn't a super complicated spec. You don't actually have a ton of buttons and your heals are even more limited, but it's a very precise spec. You need to be hitting a button on every GCD and you almost never get to spam. You can't go "oh shit emergency better spam Flash of Light" because it's actively worse than Crusader Strike > Holy Shock > Word of Glory. Which means you don't get to turn your brain off. Similarly, you have very powerful "oh shit" buttons in Wings, Aura Mastery, and (I hope) Divine Toll, but that's only three. If you mis-time one of those, it can get rough fast.
    • "me not at all knowing how to play glimmer" -- see above. Though I don't think there's a lot of trickery to using glimmer other than "spread your Holy Shocks when you can, because it makes you heal more."
    • "my weapon being like a 150" -- oh no. Yeah, an underpowered weapon is always a big issue but Holy Paladin is very much a scaling spec so being under-geared will be especially rough. And your melee DPS is not irrelevant to your group's success, so that's doubly bad.
    • "none of us knowing Sanguine Depths well" -- double oh no. Sanguine Depths is one of the roughest M+s imo and Holy Pally is less capable of saving your group from their own mistakes.
    • "shaman being much stronger atm" -- this is the only one I disagree with. It's not that Shaman is stronger, it just has a more straightforward set of basic buttons, a much more obvious "spam to save" plan, and a ton of emergency buttons. If you can't keep a group alive as a Resto Shaman no one could keep that group alive.

Get that weapon up to par and fix any other gaps in your gearing and you'll be much better off.

edited January 2021
    3clipse wrote: »

HPally is in a really rough spot right now, their kit has some big holes. They don't have the just straight up "numbers too low" tuning issues of Mistweaver but the spec itself is probably the most awkward of all the healing specs at the moment.

A lot of it I know was me panicking over my lack of on-demand AoE and using Light of Dawn even though it's a poor choice in M+?

What I've read since is that I should just calmly fix health bars one at a time with HS and WoG, with various CDs being enough for when that's not going to be fast enough. And that I'm better off hitting Crusader Strike than casting FoL or Holy Light?

Kamar on
    3clipse wrote: »

A lot of it I know was me panicking over my lack of on-demand AoE and using Light of Dawn even though it's a poor choice in M+?

What I've read since is that I should just calmly fix health bars one at a time with HS and WoG, with various CDs being enough for when that's not going to be fast enough. And that I'm better off hitting Crusader Strike than casting FoL or Holy Light?

Yup. Your "oh shit AoE" buttons are Divine Toll (which applies Glimmer so it's both a big heal and a heal buff) and Aura Mastery. Glimmer + Beacon mean that if you go Holy Shock on DPS1 > WoG on DPS2, you've done HS + Glimmer on DPS1, WoG on DPS2, and 50% of HS+WoG on the tank. That's your AoE healing.

And also yes, Crusader Strike is both 1/3rd of a WoG and 1/4 of a Holy Shock (because Crusader's Might removes 1.5s of CD) so it's pushing you towards your big, efficient healing. Whereas spamming FoL/HL is just kicking the problem down the road. If you need emergency healing, Light of the Martyr is better. The one exception is when you have an Infusion of Light proc, Holy Light on your Beacon target is efficient and generates Holy Power.

Wings is Up is the definitive guide as far as I know. The Hard Mode is adding Blessing of Sacrifice, Divine Shield (esp. BoS+DS as a combo), and BoP into your rotation.

Meanwhile you can go into pvp and be a god as hpal because they are living the dream there.

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    I'll echo all of admanb's advice here. I think Holy Paladin is the most interesting and most fun that it's ever been, but it's certainly not the most straightforward healer.

borb_sig.png
    Paladin is a triage class. Use your instants to stabilize and save lives. Your Flash of Light and Holy Light are for topping people off after they have been triaged.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i've been watching a huge amount of wow arenas in shadowlands... I've been following the arena scene since wod....

night fae seed pod thing + hpally ultimate sacrifice is the most insane batshit mechanical synergy I have ever seen in this game and I can hardly believe they allowed it

if you're not familiar.. you can be killed, turned into the seed pod thing.. and then the hpally can ultimate sac the pod so it cannot receive damage allowing it to respawn you in place so the game can continue

as far as I know there is no way to dispel it or counter it, at least not anything widely available

I can't believe that they actually let Pod work on Arenas period.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    I can't believe that they actually let Pod work on Arenas period.

Outside of paladin shenanagins it would be weird for it not to work. It is not difficult to stop.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    afaik ultimate sac is the only thing that makes it bulletproof... everything else can be either spellstolen, mass dispelled, etc...

but the way the game is balanced usually you have to blow your load just to kill the player, so you tend to be gassed when the pod spawns.. so you don't have anything left in the tank to punish the ultimate sac

the pod doesn't have versatility, so it actually hurts the paladin extremely hard, but again, since you've already used all your damage, the paladin usually just deals with it. its nutty!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/0PGFVbz723A

MDI trailers get more hype every time.

I started leveling my Shaman in shadowlands, the Shaman is already level 53 since I did all the quests to unlock the horde allied races in BfA. The experience for quests is noticeably smaller so I'm just trying to bust ass getting through the quests.

Something weird happened though. I killed the 4 beasts in bastion and got the weapon drops. I equipped the 1h hammer in my main hand and the 1h dagger in my off hand but I couldn't use my enhancement melee abilities. Kept saying I need to equip a 1h. I switched the dagger out for the 1h fist weapon and it worked just fine. Any idea why that might have happened?

Also got lucky cause a friend of mine was leveling his Paladin through bastion and as soon as I landed the game alerted me to two alliance assassins in the area but my friend didn't see any at all even though he was also in warmode so I had him invite me so I could be in whatever version of bastion he was in.

I joked about alliance ganking hardcore when I finally decided to play my horde character since alliance were such lame asses when I was playing my alliance character and it the joke came true.

edited January 2021
    I started leveling my Shaman in shadowlands, the Shaman is already level 53 since I did all the quests to unlock the horde allied races in BfA. The experience for quests is noticeably smaller so I'm just trying to bust ass getting through the quests.

Something weird happened though. I killed the 4 beasts in bastion and got the weapon drops. I equipped the 1h hammer in my main hand and the 1h dagger in my off hand but I couldn't use my enhancement melee abilities. Kept saying I need to equip a 1h. I switched the dagger out for the 1h fist weapon and it worked just fine. Any idea why that might have happened?

Also got lucky cause a friend of mine was leveling his Paladin through bastion and as soon as I landed the game alerted me to two alliance assassins in the area but my friend didn't see any at all even though he was also in warmode so I had him invite me so I could be in whatever version of bastion he was in.

I joked about alliance ganking hardcore when I finally decided to play my horde character since alliance were such lame asses when I was playing my alliance character and it the joke came true.

Daggers are 'daggers' and not '1h weapons' now, at least for the purpose of enhancement abilities.

Kamar on
    Daggers also have awful transmog options. You cannot transmog a dagger into a 1h sword, mace, or axe. It's pretty dumb.

Unless you are a priest, then daggers have the best options.

That whisper to you sassy remarks.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Oh, uh, yeah, Enhancement can't use daggers for any of its actual abilities. No, it doesn't make any sense, and yes it's extremely confusing.

I am sure it has to do with the attack speed aspect.

They try super hard to make attack speed not freaking matter. Enh has things that would benefit from the faster daggers so can't have that.

Why it even is a stat on weapons at this point confuses me. Just make every weapon swing every 2 seconds and affect it by haste and be done with it. No one would notice.

That is so absurd. Blizzard does some seriously stupid shit.
    Daggers also have awful transmog options. You cannot transmog a dagger into a 1h sword, mace, or axe. It's pretty dumb.

This frustrates me so much because I use subtlety on my Rogue and I really want to use sword transmogs but I don't like the outlaw spec at all.

Also looks like the ballista WQ is back up so I'm gonna get that sword on my Paladin and Death Knight today.

It's all holdovers from when the game was closer to a really crunch RPG instead of the much more ARPG-like game it is today. But yes, edge cases like the Enhancement dagger thing and dagger transmog sucks.

I've actually been kind of curious about attack speed on weapons. Back in vanilla I'd use a slow dagger in the MH and a fast one in OH but all the daggers I've been finding have the same attack speed. I didn't really think about it in legion or BfA.

Weapons have all had the same attack speed in weapon class since I think maybe even some point in TBC? Or at least Wrath.

They soft fixed instant attack issues in Vanilla with the normalization of what was used for those attacks for all damage added by attack power. But they let the actual base damage of the weapon still matter. So slow weapons were still better. So then instead of just fixing THAT they made them all have the same speed. Of course, once we hit Cata (I believe this was the point, dont quote me on that) they started doing Attack Power based abilities entirely. Then I think it was BFA they just said fuck it and removed "weapon damage" skills entirely and now everything is based on atp or sp. They just math out what the atp factor would be from weapon damage now.

It being a holdover would be such a lazy excuse. But then again, I learned early in BFA that Resists were actually never even removed from the game, they just stopped putting them on things and made the actual stat invivible. Like, they couldn't be assed to remove a damn stat somehow. Spaghetti code or not, it can't be that hard to just make it not exist anymore. Only found that out because I saw some bugged gems on the AH and it was because they were resist gems that worked before then and people even rarely used them in Legion for a super stupid low chance of a resist as a gimmick.

The thing is though attack speed still matters, mostly because it becomes relevant with haste and they sometimes put in weapon attack speed only increases. They benefit a few classes like Frost DK and Outlaw rogue due to very specific talents or passives. In the case of Enhance it would be things like flametongue being back again and the damage occurs per hit. Daggers would be best in all cases due to that as weapon attack skills are no longer a thing. I think some other aspects of Enhance would be impacted as well but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Reading that, my conclusion is that the trend towards making gear less confusing over the years and tying gear to primary stat of your spec have been good things. Nobody misses healing plate.

I agree though I do enjoy getting lost deep in lots of numbers personally. But I know like 99.9% of people don't.

The way secondaries work now is a good compromise. Lots to "figure out" but the loss for not doing so is fairly small. Unlike hit and expertise which was a clusterfuck of ifs ors and buts.

Yeah. I think what's important is that there's still a lot of maths to do with the four secondaries, and while a lot of classes have clear "best" ones there are still breakpoints, variations based on build/legendaries, etc. It doesn't have the same feeling of a complex mechanical box to explore as vanilla did, but the actual conclusions are at least as interesting if not far more so.

My only issues with secondaries is how some change the feel and others don't. Haste is popular even when not the best since it actually impacts how you play, and drastically so. Mastery often can by changing priorities for damage. Crit only does when class aspects are impacted by crits occurring. Otherwise crit is like the most boring stat in the game. It increases average damage, but the actual impact on GETTING crits is almost unnoticeable. Then there is vers, which at least has a directly visible effect of making damage higher, and also can make you survive more which can affect gameplay feel a bit.

IMO if it were my choice, I would make crit some kind of primary stat and add another secondary that has an impact on how gameplay feels. CD reduction is the biggest one, but that always is super dangerous to balance. That being said this expansion has an awful lot of CD reduction things here or there and so far they haven't broken the game wide open. I guess the other reason CD reduction can be iffy is because people work around setups for CDs and when they dont add another use over the course of an entire fight they often seem pointless.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Also Blizzard put something in the EULA about owning anything made in reforged so they don't have another DOTA getting under them.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Universal cooldown reduction would be crazy hard to balance. It's true that there are a lot of cooldown reduction abilities, but they're very specific and still often the most powerful choices.

Got sorrowbane on my DK and Paladin now. Made sure to do the WQ in a raid this time in case something went wrong. I'm at 150 ilvl on them both now so I'm almost able to run heroics. I think I'm gonna get my Shaman to 60 first though.

admanb wrote: »
    Universal cooldown reduction would be crazy hard to balance. It's true that there are a lot of cooldown reduction abilities, but they're very specific and still often the most powerful choices.

Ineffable Truth was a clusterfuck.

This discussion has been closed.