Options

Merry Christmas! Thread for being cheerful

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm upstairs, the wife is downstairs, wrapping each other's gifts before working on our son's. I think she's watching Christmas Vacation, I'm watching last night's wrestling. Can't wait for her to open the custom pop figures I made of our vow renewals with Elvis.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I am watching the Ron Howard/Jim Carey Grinch, one of the only four good Christmas movies.

This will be the extent of my Christmasing.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Probably the greatest Christmas movie of all time

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Moriveth ’s parents knocked it out of the park this year

Sometimes his dad gets a lot of little crappy gag plastic gifts/novelties that the kids love for 5 seconds then discard

This year my lucky kids got: marble elevator tower run, wind turbine kit, volcano kit, a mechanical engine kit, a kids’ Purple pillow each (after Anya went on and on about how much she loved her grandmother’s), meditation cards + Buddha board, light up rockets, a wooden version of Connect-4, books and a couple of other things I am probably forgetting

They went all out because of the crappy year the kids have had and how great they’ve been being stuck at home for the past 9 months

We also went all out on the kids this year so

Wow these kids have a lot, haha

Also Mori baked me mince pies as a taste of home, and he made pickle-juice brined fried chicken, which is how I read Chick Fil A makes their chicken taste so good (we have never eaten at Chick Fil A and never will, but we wanted to know the secret and it is a family favourite now)

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Holy shit

Loving how much science and engineering they got in those gifts, kid me would have had a time

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I wonder if the holiday forum will make an appearance

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I wonder if the holiday forum will make an appearance

I'll be a bit bummed if it doesn't

We always got a few lurkers out of the woodwork with it

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm exhausted, scalloped potatoes, roasted brussels, yorkshire pudding, and the first 2/3's is tomorrow mornings cinnamon rolls all made today.

It was so humid today I was worried about they'd turnout but so far I'm really happy with the cinnamon rolls this year. It took almost 20 minutes of extra kneading to get the dough to the right consistency but I ended up getting a fantastic first rise. I was able to roll out the dough into a good shaped rectangle so I ended up with the most even log I've ever done since I started doing these by hand every year. Did such a good job the misfit pan only has two actual misfits in it and those are the ends.

Rolls in their early, penis-like phase
    zfbw5bsc0fa3.jpeg

Cut and in the pan for the second rise
    8dsob8szjees.jpeg
    rnyld8esj6zv.jpeg

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh. Man.

I got so wasted (half a handle of Japanese whiskey solo) and then got on a zoom call with my wife’s family.

She is not pleased.

It’s been a fun Xmas eve!!!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    One of us one of us gooble gobble one of us

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Just toasted some moldy bread, don’t care, ate some and put the rest into tomorrow morning’s breakfast casserole

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It is my child’s nap time, we are not at home, so far she’s cried for eight minutes straight and there isn’t an end in sight.

And since viv isn’t here, the only beer I’ve got to drink is alcohol free.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    There are so many fireworks going off tonight. I don't remember Christmas Eve ever being a big firework night, but 2020 I suppose?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    u1flxeppas83.jpeg
    Mummy bought me Super Mario PJs

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    merry christmas everyone

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I hear gunfire :( and the echoing quiet

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    It's gonna be a champagne and Hades heat run kind of Xmas eve

Maybe even mimosas but I'd have to go get OJ and eh

Good news everyone!

I didn't find OJ, but I did find cassis so this a-hole is gonna be fancée and make kir royale

You've reminded me I have chambord in the back of the drinks cupboard.

That'll be me falling over before lunchtime then.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Spent the evening at a covid-bubble house making our own Christmas ornaments and festive pompoms! Then forgot to take any photos. But we're going back tomorrow afternoon for Christmas linner so I'll have to grab some then.

They (house-inhabiters) both have large extended families, who seem to have assuaged their feelings of isolation and holiday guilt by sending WAY too many presents; plus we all went nuts gifting each other with stupid stocking stuffers et al, so there is officially Too Much Bullshit under the tree. It's gone from "hallmark movie excess" to "uh, where do we walk?".

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Dude did a handful of these, but this is the only one that's geographically relevant to me, so I'm posting it. Also it's LDB-safe for those who are participating.

The Night Before Christmas in Florida [5:39]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiKleNUEixg

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    LDB?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    LDB?

probably the infernal child with his drum

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    LDB?
    The song Little Drummer Boy because of the challenge.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am blitzed on champagne and have a snuggly HULK blanket and things to read so christmas is going pretty darn well so far

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    my upstairs neighbors have selected Christmas morning to have another fight.

I wish I had some christmassy heavy metal to blast and that my soundbar was louder.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    LBD > LDB

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Today was a lot, Vivienne was at work so I was running solo, I still have no idea how single parent frickin surive.

We did present amd breakfast with mum, she left, then we did a walk with the kid and the dog, call the in-laws, go down for a nap, pack the car with all the food and all of her stuff, attempted to take a nap, which means she immediately woke up, drank a lukewarm coffee,, pack up the turkey, shove her into the car and leave. Two minutes into the drive realise you forgot the gravy so turn around and pick that up, get to the parents place, set up the sous vide for the turkey again, get change and go for a swim, have her have some fun in the pool but inevitably lose it. Dry and change everyone, discover the child does not want to be held by her grandparents at all, do presents, and finish off the turkey in the oven.

Then we had Christmas lunch! Where she mostly ate very little other than corn, until it was time for a nap, where the room with the fold out bed we found out the air conditioner did not work so we got to disassemble her cot and move it to a room with air con. So I got to put her down for her nap, to which she screamed her head off for like twenty minutes. She did sleep though so I stole a nap for an hour or so, she woke up had dessert together. Then headed home.

Hung out with her and the dog for a bit. Went for a walk all together then did dinner, bath, story, bed and cleanup amd dinner amd dog dinner.

It’s lucky she’s cute.

zdgg9882e26v.jpeg

This picture may or may not be sideways, I no longer care.

• Options
    bf0r8jslb212.jpg

Least I slept good last night.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is my first year not having Christmas with my brother and his family. We are going to try to zoom while opening presents.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    My dad moved down from Ontario about a month ago so I and sister and her family are all staying at his house so we can have Christmas morning together

Of course, my sister’s family includes my not quite two years old nephew, so I’m in bed early as he is definitely going to be up early

Tomorrow I’m making crispy French toast for everyone (dip in the egg mixture as usual, but then coat each slice in a mix of panko bread crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon before frying)

...Gonna need pictures of these

2kiivjoq30fy.jpeg
    3sb9pbv1kxzh.jpeg

• Options
    Those photos are clogging my arteries.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    What, I only went through two sticks of butter to make a dozen

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Happy Holidays you all!

I am still full and tired from the feast last night

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My first time cooking Christmas dinner, turned out okay.

bt3hcwgrocvd.jpg

I'm so full, and there's still Christmas pudding and cake and stollen and a cheeseboard. Help.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As gifts I received the complete works of Calvin and Hobbes and a very large Lego Ecto-1

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    My fiancee got me a ninja blender and the flavor bible!!

edit: mole and harissa for DAYS

Xaquin on
  • Options
    The Flavor Bible fuckin rules, nice

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    x0ib88ivcxma.jpg
    3tf3tuco6woq.jpg

Happy paper-and-box day from Pansy, my parents' 11-year old kitty

Had some stollen for breakfast, good stuff. Mum's making vegetarian scotch eggs now, we discov a few years back that the vegan sausage is awesome for them because of how sticky it is

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    The Holidays may be over, but we still need to be cheerful!

or else.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2021
    ok here's a cheerful thing
    Day after New Years (so, hangover had worn off) a bunch of local friends held a Socially Distanced Scavenger Hunt. Everything in the hunt could be done without interacting with anyone outside your bubble, which included a lot of home-based activities and out-doorsy stuff. Progress was marked by time-stamped selfies (and validated by ensuring a bespoke sock puppet, made on that day, was visible in every picture)

Some highlights: decorating a mask

y5k7jgc05tfi.jpg

Bouldering

37ygi11pscy5.jpg

Mailing a letter to Kelsey Grammer

68julyssn9ls.jpg

Other notable adventures included a sung eulogy to some roadkill, finding the crunchiest possible leaf, interpretive icecream dances, and a very impressive impromptu socially distanced rap battle staged by two teams who accidentally ran across each other at a photo point (extra points awarded)

tynic on