As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/5zYa1p0jJco

Look at that, now think of every racially charged case, and this fuckmuppet in charge

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    it's useful sometimes to be reminded that high-level professionals (like judges) are still just people and for the most part have the same dumb foibles lots of people do

but still, jesus fucking christ you'd like to think a judge could separate his personal BS at least a little bit from the courtroom

You don’t get the massive incarcerated population and shitty worker laws we got in the U.S. without a lot of spectacularly shitty judges.

Like the complete monster earlier in this thread that put kids in jail for a crime that doesn't exist?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

God foreign countries are just so crazy

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn dude what the fuck

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Didnt somene post an article last thread listing a sampling of how many police dogs are shot and killed by police officers over the past year?

Let me reiterate

POLICE KILLING POLICE DOGS!

Accidentally, of course

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Hobnail wrote: »

The Chinese government thing is more about an official higher up government decision to kill pets as part of a quarantine procedure instead of the in the moment decision American cops make to just kill dogs because they feel like it and they won't get punished for it regardless of what the any officials outside of the cops want

The latter is not remotely better, but I don't think the comparison is that good even though they are both the "government"

Couscous on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Couscous wrote: »

The Chinese government thing is more about an official higher up government decision to kill pets as part of a quarantine procedure instead of the in the moment decision American cops make to just kill dogs because they feel like it and they won't get punished for it regardless of what the any officials outside of the cops want

The latter is not remotely better, but I don't think the comparison is that good even though they are both the "government"

Just a reminder that in the US, the government (as official policy, not a side-effect of police recklessness) does kill tons of dogs every year for essentially no reason, other than their appearance.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also this is only the latest example of "News reporting something China did as an atrocity when it's something we've been doing over here forever."

It's nakedly propaganda and manufacturing consent for military action.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also this is only the latest example of "News reporting something China did as an atrocity when it's something we've been doing over here forever."

It's nakedly propaganda and manufacturing consent for military action.

lololol what kind of 1984 hellscape is China with this giant statue of Mao? Anyway, here’s the Lincoln Memorial.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Relatedly, it turns out apparently there are limits to qualified immunity for police officers.
    (Tweet put in spoiler tags because of picture of a dog with visible injuries.)
    A Minneapolis cop who shot two service dogs in 2017 won't be shielded by qualified immunity, says judge. "It is clearly established that an officer cannot shoot a dog in the absence of an objectively legitimate and imminent threat to him or others."

Of course, the police officer lied in his report about the threat that the dogs posed, but that wasn't why the qualified immunity argument was rejected. No, it was that the courts found it unreasonable that he would have perceived the dogs acting in a friendly manner (even after one of them had been shot!) as a threat.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I only have myself to blame but I probably shouldn't have clicked that spoiler tag!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Text: BREAKING: Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt GRANTS clemency for death row inmate Julius Jones, sparing him from execution. His sentence is commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
    Source: Dillon Richards is a reporter for OKC ABC affiliate KOCO

Holy shit. Oklahoma governor and reverse mortgage telemarketing scam made flesh Kevin Stitt has cancelled his afternoon plans to torture a probably-innocent man to death via pre-botched lethal injection.

Absolutely no credit attaches to him here, as he did everything in the cruelest fashion right up to the last possible moment and also he tortured another man to death via pre-botched lethal injection less than a month ago.

He slug-slimed his way over the lowest possible moral bar and everything has been in such a state of stomach-cramping vile inevitability around here that the relief is palpable and shameful. The best news of the day is that a probably-innocent man is still in a cage where the man who begrudgingly refrained from murdering him intends to keep him forever.

Good state, great country, cool system.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Edit, nevermind don't want to derail. Was a question about the injection but I'm reading about it now.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    iirc this is the state that likes doing lethal injections but the companies that produce the chemicals necessary do not want to do business with them and so they source "similar" chemicals from seedier sources.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    also, medical personnel cannot be a part of the procedure! so we've got untrained COs sticking people with lethal drug cocktails! fun!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also, medical personnel cannot be a part of the procedure! so we've got untrained COs sticking people with lethal drug cocktails! fun!

medical personnel can take part, they just risk losing their licensing because they are actively killing a person

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

medical personnel can take part, they just risk losing their licensing because they are actively killing a person

fair enough!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't think we should kill people and I don't think life without parole should exist as an option, but since that's not the world we live in I think it should be the responsibility of the governor of the state to kill the person by their hand. And also we shouldn't be doing this nazi "scientific" bullshit, 2 shots to the back of the head.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »

Text: BREAKING: Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt GRANTS clemency for death row inmate Julius Jones, sparing him from execution. His sentence is commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
    Source: Dillon Richards is a reporter for OKC ABC affiliate KOCO

Holy shit. Oklahoma governor and reverse mortgage telemarketing scam made flesh Kevin Stitt has cancelled his afternoon plans to torture a probably-innocent man to death via pre-botched lethal injection.

Absolutely no credit attaches to him here, as he did everything in the cruelest fashion right up to the last possible moment and also he tortured another man to death via pre-botched lethal injection less than a month ago.

He slug-slimed his way over the lowest possible moral bar and everything has been in such a state of stomach-cramping vile inevitability around here that the relief is palpable and shameful. The best news of the day is that a probably-innocent man is still in a cage where the man who begrudgingly refrained from murdering him intends to keep him forever.

Good state, great country, cool system.

Oklahoma,. surprising to me, is the most hostile , racist violent state that is against Original Natives Americans and used slaved Black people , as a free from paying, subdivision of the U.S. Army, to continue the Indian Removal Genocide act.

Not surprising. Both Natives Americans and then as a revenge against the Blacks for joining with Natives, "Rosewood" (Tulsa White riots.) Happened right at Reconstruction, Oklahoma 's violent history is well entrenched.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    iirc this is the state that likes doing lethal injections but the companies that produce the chemicals necessary do not want to do business with them and so they source "similar" chemicals from seedier sources.

I always thought it was weird we use some mix of chemicals that cause someone to die in a slow and painful way that sometimes doesn't work.

Like I could kill anyone in completely painless way just by giving them a ton a morphine and letting them not breath for a couple minutes.

But I guess executing without suffering doesn't get their justice boner hard enough?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I always thought it was weird we use some mix of chemicals that cause someone to die in a slow and painful way that sometimes doesn't work.

Like I could kill anyone in completely painless way just by giving them a ton a morphine and letting them not breath for a couple minutes.

But I guess executing without suffering doesn't get their justice boner hard enough?

I always wondered why they don't just use a bunch of propofol and dilaudid or fentanyl or something.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    TheStig wrote: »

Yeah, that was always an additional WTF?! for me in addition to the murder part. Like assisted suicide/euthanasia, whatever you might think of it, is a thing and even legal in some places and they manage probably manage to do that reliably and painless. But no, the "humane" death penalty has to involve a complicated drug cocktail that more or less regularly just keeps people paralyzed but awake while setting their nerves on fire and has them suffocating for prolonged periods of time.

honovere on
  • Options
    I am reminded of the invention of the electric chair, a painless method of execution, and then it was used for the first time and it was a demented fucking horror show where the guy caught on fire and did not die good and they were like that went great lets do this from now on

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Growing up in Florida, the electric chair was always in the news for how often it managed to fuck up and murder someone horribly.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The electric chair was the sole means of execution in Florida from 1924 until 2000, when the Florida State Legislature, under pressure from the U.S. Supreme Court, signed lethal injection into law. Although no one has been executed in this manner since 1999, prisoners awaiting execution on Florida's death row may still be electrocuted at their request. It is currently located in Florida State Prison on the outskirts of Starke. It was known for frequent malfunctions in the 1990s, namely in the cases of Jesse Tafero (executed May 4, 1990), Pedro Medina (executed March 25, 1997) and Allen Lee Davis (executed July 8, 1999). Reportedly, six-inch flames shot out of Tafero's head and 12-inch flames shot out of Medina's head, raising the question whether use of the electric chair was "cruel and unusual punishment". After the Medina execution, Florida Attorney General Bob Butterworth commented, "People who wish to commit murder, they'd better not do it in the state of Florida because we may have a problem with the electric chair."

• Options
    I don't think execution via red hot pincers and tongs would be a very unpopular proposal in certain areas

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's never actually about painlessness. It's very easy to kill someone quickly and painlessly, you just apply literal tons of force in an instant. A large enough block of metal dropped on their head. A big enough bomb. Etc. But those things make it harder to lie about it being "humane" or "ethical" because they're loud and messy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's never actually about painlessness. It's very easy to kill someone quickly and painlessly, you just apply literal tons of force in an instant. A large enough block of metal dropped on their head. A big enough bomb. Etc. But those things make it harder to lie about it being "humane" or "ethical" because they're loud and messy.

A guillotine or bullet to the base of the skull would also work

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Those methods do create a bit of extra work for the mortician, in the case of open casket affairs

I assume that is at least part of the intention of effort towards humane executions (an intention that has had many failures, mind)

• Options
    The only downside I can apprehend of the Soviet method where you get popped in the back of the head when you arent expecting it is that it does not allow for religious observances which some people feel strongly about

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The only downside I can apprehend of the Soviet method where you get popped in the back of the head when you arent expecting it is that it does not allow for religious observances which some people feel strongly about

You could ask them to prepare and to say when they're ready.

Some might never say that they are ready to be executed? What a shame. Guess we don't execute people anymore.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Yes ideal method given a reality that people are going to get got one way or another if not executing people is on the table I'd advocate for that myself

Hobnail on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

A guillotine or bullet to the base of the skull would also work

Not sure a guillotine guarantees immediate cessation of consciousness - hence listing methods that definitely 100% destroy the head instantly. The messiness is definitely a bonus from my perspective of "fuck the death penalty" though.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    You know, I think we can table the discussion of which executions would be better

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I feel methodology is not the core issue here

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Even by the low low standards of the GOP, Stitt's a real fuckin' piece of work

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

The Hill
    @thehill
    JUST IN: Jury finds Kyle Rittenhouse not guilty on all counts http://hill.cm/qOfzCDi

I can't say I'm surprised, but still, fuck this.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Would like to remind everyone that these forums are publicly indexed, which is why we have rules against certain things.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow what the fuck

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So are we gonna see a wave of copycats now?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Got a huge increase in cars being driven into protests after Charlottesville, so that would have happened regardless of this. This means it'll be even more than that.

This discussion has been closed.