As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    After a joke about slavery reparations, John Cleese said that Italy and France should Make reparations to Great Britain for colonization.

In trying to decide how right or wrong the man was, I gave myself a laughter headache trying to calculate who exactly owes the Irish money

I have tears in my eyes picturing a bunch of Dublin youth pounding on the front door to a Saudi palace

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    After a joke about slavery reparations, John Cleese said that Italy and France should Make reparations to Great Britain for colonization.

In trying to decide how right or wrong the man was, I gave myself a laughter headache trying to calculate who exactly owes the Irish money

I have tears in my eyes picturing a bunch of Dublin youth pounding on the front door to a Saudi palace

Hey, the Normans were the ones who started shit with the Irish too!

Slightly more seriously, there's a legitimate discussion to be had about "well how far back does responsibility for reparations go then?" Because I tell you what, them Normans did fuck over the inhabitants of England pretty hard before they went on to start a fashion for turning up on the East coast of Ireland.

In my irrelevant, uneducated opinion there are two metrics to use

1) How much are the offended demographic in question still disadvantaged economically, culturally, via privilege, etc. by the damage caused by the offending demographic?

2) How much are offending demographic still benefiting economically, culturally, via privilege, etc. from the event?

And I guess you'd probably want to take into account actions taken to repay or mitigate meanwhile. (Eg: the UK benefited hugely from the Atlantic slave trade, but it also subsequently led the way in the West in abolishing slavery and taking active and effective steps to prevent that trade. That doesn't clear the account, obviously, but it should be accounted for as well.)

So by those guides, I'd say that, for example, the Danish and Norwegians are probably going to be let off with a verbal warning on their record for the shit the Vikings did to Britain and Ireland in the 8th Century, heinous though it indisputably was. However at the other extreme of the scale, well, yeah a bunch of less amusing examples.

I realise that this kind of sounds like "So if China can stop anyone doing anything about what they did to Tibet for a couple hundred years, then they... just get away with it?" but yeah, maybe they do actually. After a while it stops being a wound, and, like the viking invasions of Britain and Ireland, is just history.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Today marks 2 years since LMPD officers shot and killed 26 year old Breonna Taylor. People are starting to gather in Jefferson Square park—aka Bree Way — for a remembrance

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I agree with the remembrance, not the killing.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sometimes headlines are short because of clickbait. Sometimes they're short because of space requirements. Sometimes the editor just doesn't notice.

f1bwjogk624u.png

Actual story, no the article is not endorsing sucker punching cops. Still funny though.

sig.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A certain reading of the full headline could indicate a good time as well.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Sorce wrote: »
    Sometimes headlines are short because of clickbait. Sometimes they're short because of space requirements. Sometimes the editor just doesn't notice.

f1bwjogk624u.png

Actual story, no the article is not endorsing sucker punching cops. Still funny though.

Else where in the country, two troopers and the guy they had stopped in a similar scenario were run over and killed. The woman who killed all three had been stopped minutes earlier by the troopers who ended the stop early when they were told about the fellow they were killed with.

Which puts the preggo driver geting a pit maneuver because she didnt wany to cause this exact fucking scenario all the more galling.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

f1bwjogk624u.png

Else where in the country, two troopers and the guy they had stopped in a similar scenario were run over and killed. The woman who killed all three had been stopped minutes earlier by the troopers who ended the stop early when they were told about the fellow they were killed with.

Which puts the preggo driver geting a pit maneuver because she didnt wany to cause this exact fucking scenario all the more galling.

I can't even tell how many troopers you are talking about. Are you a math teacher?

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

f1bwjogk624u.png

I can't even tell how many troopers you are talking about. Are you a math teacher?

I’m not sure what the situation in Royce’s 2nd paragraph is, but the first paragraph was clear enough that he’s referring to this:
    https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/woman-charged-in-crash-that-killed-2-troopers-and-man-on-i-95/3184953/?amp

- 2 officers pull over a woman.
    - While the woman is pulled over both officers get a call about a man walking on the highway ahead of them.
    - Both officers leave the woman and drive down the road and find the guy.
    - While both officers are dealing with the guy, the woman hits all 3 of them (2 police and the walking guy) with her car.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

f1bwjogk624u.png

I’m not sure what the situation in Royce’s 2nd paragraph is, but the first paragraph was clear enough that he’s referring to this:
    https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/woman-charged-in-crash-that-killed-2-troopers-and-man-on-i-95/3184953/?amp

- While the woman is pulled over both officers get a call about a man walking on the highway ahead of them.
    - While both officers are dealing with the guy, the woman hits all 3 of them (2 police and the walking guy) with her car.

While sending a tweet complaining about being pulled over. Like literally timestamped to 20 seconds before impact.

Perrsun wrote: »

f1bwjogk624u.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/06/10/arkansas-police-rammed-pregnant-womans-suv-traffic-stop-lawsuit/7645474002/

This story

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Hooray! Cops brought to justice at last! BLM is worki- Oh, the victim was white. Never mind.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I wonder if those jackboots still think they "crushed" it when they did what they do best to an old woman with dementia.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The Independent: Biden requests more money for funding local police.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/biden-police-funding-request-b2078513.html

Fuck Joe Biden

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

https://www.thedailybeast.com/patriot-front-audio-leaks-show-white-supremacists-plotting-blackmail-of-girlfriends?via=twitter_page
    In recorded conversations, Patriot Front members discussed targeting Black and LGBT artwork so as to encourage contempt against those groups.

In one such leaked recording, Patriot Front members bemoaned a statue erected in remembrance of George Floyd, the 46-year-old Black man whose murder by Minneapolis police in 2020 helped spark a national reckoning over race and police violence.

A Patriot Front member called Floyd the n-word, and encouraged vandalism of the statue, arguing that it would inspire more people to act similarly. “You show people that you can do something like this, and you can get away with it, it encourages other people to do something,” he said.

Another member on the call approvingly compared the tactic to parents harassing school board officials over lessons that reference race, a nationwide phenomenon fueled by a larger right-wing panic over so-called “critical race theory” (CRT).

“Yeah it’s like all the parents going to school boards and, like, harassing the school board, you know, officials for the whole CRT shit, right?” he said. “Like, school board officials are actually legitimately afraid right now because they had like, parents like literally, like, harassing them over the anti-white shit being taught in schools.”

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The Independent: Biden requests more money for funding local police.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/biden-police-funding-request-b2078513.html

Fuck Joe Biden

What's most frustrating about this is that spending on police is barely an eligible expense.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My county council has approved a retention bonus for cops who are planning on remaining with their respective agencies for at least the rest of the year. Meanwhile they're also busy sweeping unhoused encampments and evicting folks for owed back rent, directing them to shelters that were already packed to begin with (if they even provide the services necessary to those in need, much less whatever children they might have).

Mysteriously, there's "no money" for affordable housing to be found anywhere in the budget. Wonder why that might be! 🧐

Hacksaw wrote: »
    My county council has approved a retention bonus for cops who are planning on remaining with their respective agencies for at least the rest of the year. Meanwhile they're also busy sweeping unhoused encampments and evicting folks for owed back rent, directing them to shelters that were already packed to begin with (if they even provide the services necessary to those in need, much less whatever children they might have).

Mysteriously, there's "no money" for affordable housing to be found anywhere in the budget. Wonder why that might be! 🧐

Same song and dance here in LA. With the bonus of police assaulting press during a homeless encampment clear out they were doing in Echo Park

Eh, there isn't gonna be enough money in any local gov budget for housing outside of say rental assistance.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    ChidiOkayButThatsWorse.jpg

I get there’s operating within current paradigms etc etc but it behooves us to call out shit as not good enough when it manifestly is not

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Eh, there isn't gonna be enough money in any local gov budget for housing outside of say rental assistance.

There sure would be if we weren’t paying way too many cops 6-figure salaries and even more in “””””overtime”””””

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

There sure would be if we weren’t paying way too many cops 6-figure salaries and even more in “””””overtime”””””

Overtime and six figure salaries would be acceptable if we had the ability to actually purge bad cops
    Bad training
    Bad leadership
    And stop paying upkeep on a fuxking light tank, sorry, apc

Tef wrote: »
    ChidiOkayButThatsWorse.jpg

I get there’s operating within current paradigms etc etc but it behooves us to call out shit as not good enough when it manifestly is not

Oh it definitely is worse. My point is more that, take your local annual sherrif (why do I always spell that wrong)/police budget and multiply it like 10-20 times over and that's what you'd need to really start putting a dent into the housing crisis we face from a government standpoint (assuming you have to purchase private land and can't just take it, which is I think a fair assumption in this environment for the local government's ability).

edited May 2022
    My county could absolutely afford to create affordable housing dwellings if they planned for things to happen more than an election year in advance, but they don't. Plenty of disused land around here that belongs to the county (or some weak municipality that would be happy to offload stewardship of it).

What they lack is the desire and willpower to do anything about it; all of my local governments are in the capture of real estate speculators and/or their enthusiastic lackies. It's almost shocking the degree to which they operate in their own self interests and expect everyone to be cool with it.

Good news is that people are becoming less cool with it the longer this housing crisis goes on, but not quite enough to move the needle on public housing. Still seeing furious letters from local homeowners show up in the paper about how their home equity is dipping (reading: appreciating at a rate slightly lower than other regional rates) because of how many homeless encampments are popping up in their zipcodes.

They're about this close to getting it, but keep falling short. It's fucking maddening.

Hacksaw on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I really wish any city anywhere would have the fuckin' guts to put ass-blastingly high empty-unit taxes on housing properties

The number of apartment buildings sitting empty as rent and homelessness rates skyrocket would, in a just universe, see property owners eaten by wolves

I really wish any city anywhere would have the fuckin' guts to put ass-blastingly high empty-unit taxes on housing properties

The number of apartment buildings sitting empty as rent and homelessness rates skyrocket would, in a just universe, see property owners eaten by wolves

Cities can't even properly enforce/tax short-term rental units, no surprise they wouldn't try and tax empty-unit properties (this is not a defense just an exasperation).
    My county could absolutely afford to create affordable housing dwellings if they planned for things to happen more than an election year in advance, but they don't. Plenty of disused land around here that belongs to the county (or some weak municipality that would be happy to offload stewardship of it).

What they lack is the desire and willpower to do anything about it; all of my local governments are in the capture of real estate speculators and/or their enthusiastic lackies. It's almost shocking the degree to which they operate in their own self interests and expect everyone to be cool with it.

Good news is that people are becoming less cool with it the longer this housing crisis goes on, but not quite enough to move the needle on public housing. Still seeing furious letters from local homeowners show up in the paper about how their home equity is dipping (reading: appreciating at a rate slightly lower than other regional rates) because of how many homeless encampments are popping up in their zipcodes.

They're about this close to getting it, but kewp falling short. It's fucking maddening.

This is actually the main thing I think localities need to do: if they own land they should turn it into affordable/supportive housing if it's not needed, especially with the huge change toward remote work now. It's an idea I've floated around with higher-ups because of how much is shifting to telework.

One of those older mangas from when I was a kid had a cyborg cop the kid he was guarding dip into an empty apartment for the night in a random ass highrise.

That sticks in my mind when I consider how many sit empty at night verses the people I deal with on the street.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    The other thing local governments could do is drop zoning laws that make it impossible to build more housing that people actually want.

The number of "in this house we believe" signs outside Berkeley homes that have appreciated 1000% in thirty years is... ironic.

Obviously this is only a problem in certain jurisdictions but it's definitely true in a lot of the hottest markets that people are moving out of.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The (cop cause what other peofesion makes x2 as much as the average income round here, and confirmed not speculation heh) person who bought the dear elderly woman's house across the street from my parents managed to do it as a investment property for their daughter

Who then fucked up the address and got my parents sent final bills for gas and electric without any of their consent

And the poor family who rents it is paying a absurd amount after a bidding war basically demanding 6 months down payment it's literally insane

Oh and I'm sure the landlord will dodge the payments my parents had to pay which will take 4 months to be reimbursed lol

Housing is insane

And yes you can probably spite turn of your neighbours gas and electricity cause automation baby

Oh and the system wiped out the service payment history of my parents (as in well we were told you where moving so it's like technically changed, but it's a new account number in their eyes) so the corporation can pretend they are new customers lolololo

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The other thing local governments could do is drop zoning laws that make it impossible to build more housing that people actually want.

The number of "in this house we believe" signs outside Berkeley homes that have appreciated 1000% in thirty years is... ironic.

Obviously this is only a problem in certain jurisdictions but it's definitely true in a lot of the hottest markets that people are moving out of.

This is such a bare minimum to me that I wouldn't take any fucking government seriously about "addressing housing costs" unless they address that.

If politicians were smart they'd actually try and do shit about housing but instead it's either culture war CRT bullshit or "give more money to cops" and it's so exhausting

https://lasd.org/defunding-the-lasd-budget/

I dunno I think 3.5 billion dollars would go a long way towards housing stuff. Also note how they're welching about "only" getting 3.5 BILLION DOLLARS

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    If politicians were smart they'd actually try and do shit about housing but instead it's either culture war CRT bullshit or "give more money to cops" and it's so exhausting

They can't even do the voting rights let alone housing rights

So get ready for the voter registration avt in Nov : /

icGJy2C.png
    An easy fucking win for housing advocates (that would cost politicians almost nothing!) would be clamping down on the heinously unregulated AirBnB market that's causing residency crises in so many cities. You got a million expensive fixes that would put people in homes over the course of decades, but a quick fix would be an onerous vacancy tax and forbidding people to use entire residences as AirBnBs. Two simple tricks that would force landowners to either become landlords or sell their second and third residences, and no one can even be bothered to do that much! It's fucking pathetic!

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Treating housing as a wealth vehicle is a fucking abhorrent concept, and has done wonders for cementing capitalism, and a conservative mentality more generally, around the world. Not to say that I think there was a shadowy government orchestrating the whole thing, it was more dumb luck that was capitalised (heh) on

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, wish we had a tax setup where people eat some heavy taxes for vacation and second homes. We shouldn't have cases where people have 3 or more homes, that are just there for their fucking greed doing fuck all and honestly, second homes should be pretty damn fucking rare.

I'd also argue we should have taxes on empty homes. Feel like that's the best solution for dealing with wealthy assholes from other countries, that can even legally live here and may not want to anyways, from easily using the housing market as a vehicle for money laundering or again as just a vehicle to amass wealth at the expense of society. Would also hopefully put a fire under the asses of banks and landlords to make sure housing is being used. If done right, the tax would be a good way to force landlords to actually maintain and upgrade properties, instead of being shitty slum lords. Probably could set it up so that they only don't get hit by the vacancy house tax, is to have the property inhabited and to meet a minimum standard (with steep consequences if they get caught fudging things), with maybe some leeway to not get reamed if the property is undergoing renovations or repairs that make it uninhabitable or just not a place that people want to live in during that stuff.

I mean let's be honest. You force a ton of landlords to improve insulation on units and that helps out a shit ton of low income people by reducing their heating and cooling bills. Force them to do something to reduce noise from outside the unit and you probably tamp down on a bit of social unrest as well, I've been in an apartment and noisy numbers can be the worst fucking thing because they make things more stressful.

An easy fucking win for housing advocates (that would cost politicians almost nothing!) would be clamping down on the heinously unregulated AirBnB market that's causing residency crises in so many cities. You got a million expensive fixes that would put people in homes over the course of decades, but a quick fix would be an onerous vacancy tax and forbidding people to use entire residences as AirBnBs. Two simple tricks that would force landowners to either become landlords or sell their second and third residences, and no one can even be bothered to do that much! It's fucking pathetic!

Where's that fucking horsey comic

Tef wrote: »
    Treating housing as a wealth vehicle is a fucking abhorrent concept, and has done wonders for cementing capitalism, and a conservative mentality more generally, around the world. Not to say that I think there was a shadowy government orchestrating the whole thing, it was more dumb luck that was capitalised (heh) on

Something to consider is private property (and the single family home more specifically) as an extension of the feudal castle lord. David Roberts had what I think is a fairly cogent attack showing how it's just the modern day equivalent of the castle that might be of interest to you.

This discussion has been closed.