As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I always get a kick out of the folks with both Back the Blue and Molon labe bumper stickers. I always want ask them if they’ve thought about who, exactly, is going to “come and take them.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I always get a kick out of the folks with both Back the Blue and Molon labe bumper stickers. I always want ask them if they’ve thought about who, exactly, is going to “come and take them.”

Love the cops with the don't tread on me stickers on their civilian vehicles too

Dumbass, you are the boot

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    If the government really, REALLY wanted to kill us, they'd create an environment that fosters stochastic terror and then politicize it in a way that encourages the ones in favor of the status quo to arm up, and the ones against to disarm.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'm sympathetic in a way to the "I need to protect myself from the government" thinking. Not because of the white dudes with a hundred rifles in their house. I think more of how nobody really cared about the Panthers until they started doing community action and arming themselves. Start feeding needy kids and make sure you're protected while doing it? Nah, the state can't have that.

It's a tough circle for me to square, largely because the whole country is just so fucked.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You go far enough left, you get the guns back.

bplmf16xvupj.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think that gun control and safety can be increased way more before we have to get to the point where we discuss whether people who need guns to defend themselves are able to get them. It feels like playing into the NRA talking point that any limitations on gun rights would mean a complete disarming of the populous. The next like, nine steps towards more gun control could be accomplished and we'd still have a lot of guns.

I have very complicated feelings about the idea that poc and leftists need guns for dear of right wing attackers. At it's core it's definitely right but it always bring to mind the fact that those people don't really have gun rights. From the aforementioned black panthers, to stop and frisk and asset seizure, to Californian Republican drug laws in the '80s that targeted black people it's clear that a threatened right wing will always just disarm marginalized people without any acknowledgment to the irony. Will denounce the mild violence of BLM while minimalizing the fact that they had a full on insurrection on their side.

I think tightening gun regulations would be helpful in the long term to eliminate various kinds of gun crime including mass shootings and so I support it. I am less certain such actions would be close too enough. Ultimately I believe that shootings are a product of a larger cultural problem. It's not video games. It's not bullying. It's not mental illness. It's a cultish obsession with guns. A cultish obsession with celebrity. A death cult at the center of a rotten terrifying world.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Also Universal Health Care would help a lot too, because you can't just walk off "nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll grab a gun". Therapy (and people that actually just give a shit about others) goes a long way.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I kinda hate when gun control proposals are countered with "But what about if we need to overthrow the state"

Why do the tools of revolution need to be legal within the system one is attempting to overthrow? If that's the real reason one is opposed to gun control, if the belief that arms will need to be taken up against government forces is genuine, why would one need/want that government's permission to do it?

It always strikes me as ideologically inconsistent, and just another reason to avoid doing things that might change the current status quo. "Oh, we might need these SOME DAY, better continue to do nothing to cure present ills"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I kinda hate when gun control proposals are countered with "But what about if we need to overthrow the state"

Why do the tools of revolution need to be legal within the system one is attempting to overthrow? If that's the real reason one is opposed to gun control, if the belief that arms will need to be taken up against government forces is genuine, why would one need/want that government's permission to do it?

It always strikes me as ideologically inconsistent, and just another reason to avoid doing things that might change the current status quo. "Oh, we might need these SOME DAY, better continue to do nothing to cure present ills"

Oh! Oh, shit! You just kinda blew the lid off of some things for me a little bit.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Yeah, like I work with people who make ghost guns, why should they give a shit? If the government outlawed civilians with guns and took them all away, I know a few people that have buried sealed cases with, like, forty AR-15s and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition. No need to get permission for something you've already gone to the trouble of stockpiling and hiding. So why not say, "Sure, go ahead, take our guns to save those kids!" knowing that you'll still have yours? It's real dumb

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I love "what if we need to overthrow the state with mah guns??"

Motherfucker, you wouldn't even be the first time the government has drone striked it's own people.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Does the time that cops strapped explosives to a bomb disposal robot to blow up and kill a gunman count as a domestic drone strike

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    And pooro, that is such an excellent point that I honestly don't think I'd ever really thought of. But it makes so much fucking sense. Damn.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My main concern with gun control is, as I said a few pages ago, every tool of law enforcement is used to empower the police to oppress people, particularly racial minorities, and I don't want us to give them another reason to do that in our efforts to stop atrocities from happening

Which is not to say we should simply throw our hands up and let the mass shootings continue. I'm not trying to concern troll here. More just saying that any solution needs to be extremely cautious about what exactly it's making illegal and how it can be enforced, because I don't want to give the piece of shit coward cops that just let 19 kids die more power.

My gut says a big part of it ought to be targeting the manufacturers and sellers, rather than purely regulating individual gun owners

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm fine with people keeping their guns and acquiring new ones.

The bullets, however...
    Should be securely held in a community-run stockpile (with a full-time clerk, no less) and issued on a justifiable need basis. Gun range? Sure. Hunting? Awesome. Forming a posse? No way, homies. Defending yourself and your community from a posse/corporate enforcers/unaccountable police? Absolutely, that's what they're for, comrades!

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The willingness of police to use laws to be extra silly pales in comparison to the need for those laws.

Problem is that even with police playing those laws straight, they are undermined by the NRA. 45 signed into law a measure that made gun licensing good outside the state you got it. So more stringent Texas and California have to accept more lax licenses from other states, regardless of their own laws

Second, and this one happened in the Seattle area, you have these fuckwits stockpiling guns for decades and then loosing control over them. Little league coach was arrested for his storage unit and the grenade missing its pin. How many chucklefucks we got like this across all 50 states.

Point I'm making is that the police's fuckups will come after everyone else's.

Also, that NRA law was protested by police chiefs and Chris Christy, but endorsed by Governors.

Ain't politics grand

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My main concern with gun control is, as I said a few pages ago, every tool of law enforcement is used to empower the police to oppress people, particularly racial minorities, and I don't want us to give them another reason to do that in our efforts to stop atrocities from happening

Which is not to say we should simply throw our hands up and let the mass shootings continue. I'm not trying to concern troll here. More just saying that any solution needs to be extremely cautious about what exactly it's making illegal and how it can be enforced, because I don't want to give the piece of shit coward cops that just let 19 kids die more power.

My gut says a big part of it ought to be targeting the manufacturers and sellers, rather than purely regulating individual gun owners

This is a HUGE part of it, and it needs to be regulated federally, or else all the gun manufacturers will just move to Mississippi or something. There are so many loopholes between states, FFL permits, back ground checks and a whole host of other things.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also Universal Health Care would help a lot too, because you can't just walk off "nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll grab a gun". Therapy (and people that actually just give a shit about others) goes a long way.

Also all the assholes crowing about mental health care. Like, cool yeah, health care for everyone who needs it right?
    The willingness of police to use laws to be extra silly pales in comparison to the need for those laws.

Problem is that even with police playing those laws straight, they are undermined by the NRA. 45 signed into law a measure that made gun licensing good outside the state you got it. So more stringent Texas and California have to accept more lax licenses from other states, regardless of their own laws

Second, and this one happened in the Seattle area, you have these fuckwits stockpiling guns for decades and then loosing control over them. Little league coach was arrested for his storage unit and the grenade missing its pin. How many chucklefucks we got like this across all 50 states.

Also, that NRA law was protested by police chiefs and Chris Christy, but endorsed by Governors.

Ain't politics grand

That makes a weird quandary with some states like Vermont that don't issue permits. Here you can just carry and own a firearm, no license required, but because there's no license, there's no reciprocity with other states.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    EDIT: Removed

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    What are you doing

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Love the cops with the don't tread on me stickers on their civilian vehicles too

Dumbass, you are the boot

Similarly, there is a patron with a full-sized No Step On Snek flag on his pickup truck who comes to the library every single day and monopolizes all the newspapers for a solid two hours.

My dude. I have shocking news about how your five newspaper subscriptions are funded, and I don't think you're going to like it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    What are you doing

Generating evidence that every time I speak it's a mistake.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    You removed it so I won't harp on it or anything, but while I get what you were trying to say and it could make sense in a vacuum, or in a different type of society, there's just so much shit wrong with the U.S. that it's hard to see it applying very well to us specifically.

I don't think it was a crazy terrible take, just one that takes a lot of glossing over the reality of living in the U.S. to apply usefully.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    What are you doing

Nah dude. Dudette? Fam.

I've posted some monumentally dumb shit in my time here. And I've said and done even dumber shit in my life. I try my best to learn what I can and move forward.

Don't beat yourself up about it and think I'm saying that you need to shut up forevermore or whatnot. It just wasn't the time or the place for that particular thing/style of thing. Keep on keeping on, especially around here. These fucking weirdos have done more to make me a better person than I would have ever thought possible. We got you.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    What are you doing

I know that feel.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I had a whole argument here about how a competent government has to maintain military superiority (or the appearance thereof) in its territory (or it gets conquered/overthrown), including over its citizenry, if it wants to last, so if it allows them to bear arms, it has to work harder to maintain that superiority, and that expense of effort isn't spent towards more useful things for its citizens. So when a government feels threatened by its citizens (like, say, by open-carrying copwatchers like what the Black Panthers were doing in the late 60s, which the Panthers were 100% in the right to do), it'll prioritize solidifying military superiority over providing essential services. Hence, the US government's choosing to stop subsidizing useful things (health care, education, housing) and start overspending on the military (and, eventually, the police) that was started by Reagan in the 80s.

Other places (I'm thinking UK) did it too, but since they had less armed citizens running around, they needed less money to achieve force superiority and so had more budget left over for useful programs.

That makes sense in theory, but upon observation of the historical record on wikipedia, this explanation looks wayyy too simplistic. I guess it begins to explain why the USA are an exception in terms of state-subsidized health care and gun violence, but I think there's more to this than what I've got right now.

Elaro on
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Also all the assholes crowing about mental health care. Like, cool yeah, health care for everyone who needs it right?

Ain't politics grand

That makes a weird quandary with some states like Vermont that don't issue permits. Here you can just carry and own a firearm, no license required, but because there's no license, there's no reciprocity with other states.

Yeah, so you have these communities taking action on a problem and having those undeecut by other states.

Which is why gun control by municipality and not geographic region doesnt work if pookie and cleatus can just cross a bridge to strap up and sell them back home.

Further sin of the GOP that they pimped out their precious 'states rights' for an NRA donation.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Ain't politics grand

Yeah, so you have these communities taking action on a problem and having those undeecut by other states.

Which is why gun control by municipality and not geographic region doesnt work if pookie and cleatus can just cross a bridge to strap up and sell them back home.

Further sin of the GOP that they pimped out their precious 'states rights' for an NRA donation.

Nah, "states rights" only ever meant one thing in particular.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    states' rights (to have slaves)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    True enough, but the bill sells out that ideal in such in such obvious fashion that it's insulting....

In addition to allowing more guns to flow into communities trying to keep them out.

The right bitches about chicago, LA, and NYC's crime rates and cuts their regulatory abilities out from under them is just so....fictionally corrupt that it hurts.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well they also conveniently ignore that red states have far worse crime statistics than blue cities

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    I had a whole argument here about how a competent government has to maintain military superiority (or the appearance thereof) in its territory (or it gets conquered/overthrown), including over its citizenry, if it wants to last, so if it allows them to bear arms, it has to work harder to maintain that superiority, and that expense of effort isn't spent towards more useful things for its citizens. So when a government feels threatened by its citizens (like, say, by open-carrying copwatchers like what the Black Panthers were doing in the late 60s, which the Panthers were 100% in the right to do), it'll prioritize solidifying military superiority over providing essential services. Hence, the US government's choosing to stop subsidizing useful things (health care, education, housing) and start overspending on the military (and, eventually, the police) that was started by Reagan in the 80s.

Other places (I'm thinking UK) did it too, but since they had less armed citizens running around, they needed less money to achieve force superiority and so had more budget left over for useful programs.

That makes sense in theory, but upon observation of the historical record on wikipedia, this explanation looks wayyy too simplistic. I guess it begins to explain why the USA are an exception in terms of state-subsidized health care and gun violence, but I think there's more to this than what I've got right now.

This seems mostly correct but is complicated by the fact that we COULD pay for all those things and any attempt to claim that we don't have the money to do X is a hollow lie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Well they also conveniently ignore that red states have far worse crime statistics than blue cities

Turns out that when people are unable to make ends meet, and the government is unable and/or unwilling to assist them, they are more likely to turn to crime.

There are many studies like this one demonstrating the link.
    This piece takes a deeper look at patterns of gun violence in four cities—Chicago; Nashville, Tenn.; Kansas City, Mo.; and Baltimore—and finds that each city’s gun homicide increases were driven predominantly by increases in neighborhoods where gun violence has long been a persistent fixture of daily life, alongside systemic disinvestment, segregation, and economic inequality. These patterns point to the longer-term need to address the place-based factors that influence violence and invest in the critical community infrastructure that has not only been proven to make communities safer, but can also help them thrive.

The problem is that while implementing stronger social safety nets and providing support to communities through a variety of positive and rehabilitative programs would provide better quality of life for residents and be more cost-effective than our current system, reforming our carceral state system would have a detrimental effect on all those shareholders who make a lot of money from their contracts to build, maintain, staff, and supply our prisons.

• Options
    Healthy, educated, and confident population cannot be controlled

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Turns out that when people are unable to make ends meet, and the government is unable and/or unwilling to assist them, they are more likely to turn to crime.

This piece takes a deeper look at patterns of gun violence in four cities—Chicago; Nashville, Tenn.; Kansas City, Mo.; and Baltimore—and finds that each city’s gun homicide increases were driven predominantly by increases in neighborhoods where gun violence has long been a persistent fixture of daily life, alongside systemic disinvestment, segregation, and economic inequality. These patterns point to the longer-term need to address the place-based factors that influence violence and invest in the critical community infrastructure that has not only been proven to make communities safer, but can also help them thrive.

The problem is that while implementing stronger social safety nets and providing support to communities through a variety of positive and rehabilitative programs would provide better quality of life for residents and be more cost-effective than our current system, reforming our carceral state system would have a detrimental effect on all those shareholders who make a lot of money from their contracts to build, maintain, staff, and supply our prisons.

Don't forget the money they make off the backs of the prisoners' sub-minimum-wage labor! Prisoner firefighters, prisoner janitors, prisoner farmhands, prisoner furniture builders, prisoner call center workers, the list goes on, but good luck reading it, it's private information between the contracting companies and the prisons!

This seems mostly correct but is complicated by the fact that we COULD pay for all those things and any attempt to claim that we don't have the money to do X is a hollow lie.

Yes, but getting that money out of the private hands of the rich and powerful and into public coffers is a lot more difficult when they can whip up a mob of "concerned citizens" with perfectly legal guns to turn away the tax collector, thus requiring said collector to gather a bigger mob (the Army, usually) to make the wealthy tax evaders contribute their fair share. The easier the access to weapons by the "concerned citizens", the bigger the "bigger mob" has to be. And gun possession being legal is a hell of a facilitator.

There are other factors too, but the 2nd Amendment alone goes some way towards explaining the American Exception on more fronts than just gun violence.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh definitely. I've increasingly found evidence to support the idea that strong social structures and safety nets could go a long, long way towards reducing crime. Much like how access to guns increases gun-related deaths, when someone's only real option to support themselves or their family is crime then that's the direction they're going to turn. So if they have other options, viable ones, the need is removed and that door remains closed as it should. It shouldn't be about punishing people for what they've done, it should be about looking at why they did it and what could have prevented them from turning down this path to begin with. Punishment affects one person, but identifying and correcting a social flaw that pushes people to a bad path in life then ripples forward like the proverbial butterfly's wings.

• Options
    https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2022/06/06/man-says-american-airlines-blunder-put-him-in-jail-for-17-days-after-traveling-through-dfw/

Michael Lowe boarded a plane
    AA gave police his name
    Conclusions were drawn
    They were all wrong
    So now he lives his life in emotional terror and pain

https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

This is probably the best way to go about it. Don't take away guns, but regulate which guns can be bought and sold. I'm in favor, however, of disarming the cops, as they don't really do anything good with them, and the states don't have 2nd amendment rights anyhow.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

This is probably the best way to go about it. Don't take away guns, but regulate which guns can be bought and sold. I'm in favor, however, of disarming the cops, as they don't really do anything good with them, and the states don't have 2nd amendment rights anyhow.

Seriously. Especially the military equipment. Nothing brings more fears about a right wing national coup than military equipped PDs.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.