As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I just got through playing Strikers and you know lately I've been wanting something a bit more lighthearted and chill so maybe I'll give DQ another go.

Also want something turn-based I can play just laying down.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Sailed to the Outer Sea, did some exploration, and then proceeded with the Lonalulu segment of what I assume is part of the main quest.
    Decided to tell Michelle the truth because nothing good comes of lying for something that important. Well...now Kai knows the truth about his grandfather and Michelle has joined her love. Not so happy ending though, or maybe it is in some respects.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Phnom Nom. Phnom Nom Nom Nom.
    Anyway time to bonk this evil child monster thing on the head I think. Does no one else notice her? She's literally billowing purple miasma with bright crimson eyes cackling in the middle of the town square.

Edit: Dora-In-Grey. Not exactly the most subtle pun for a painting. Anyway, Magic Key acquired. Time to go treasure hunting!

Madican on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Squenix confirmed a presence at E3.

Come on new FF16 update! Show us it's super far along and ready to come out way sooner than people expect!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Squenix confirmed a presence at E3.

Come on new FF16 update! Show us it's super far along and ready to come out way sooner than people expect!

More like, "Here's a couple of useless pieces of DLC we'll be making available for FFVIIR: Intergrade Boogaloo and a screen cap of Yuffie's posterior."

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Okay, just about done with this Orb collectathon I think. Red from Heliodor early in the story, Yellow from fight times in Octagonia, Green from Nautilus after some fucked up racism against mermaids because humans are awful, Silver from Bird Up after visiting the Loony Land that is the Academy, and Purple from a crypt in Zwaardsrust next to another sealed door with a magic symbol.

All that remains is Blue in Snifflheim and I know where to go since I was there way earlier but couldn't get in. I also went and revisited all those locked magic doors, but apparently those locked locked doors are staying put for now, and picked up some real goodies, like Erik and two Falcon Blades for what I really hope results in quad attacks. Reskilled him to Swords so he can take full advantage. I saw something about farming Strength Seeds to make him absolutely busted but that sounds like it'd take forever.

I'm assuming the skill board increases at some point? They seem a bit small but then going by my level and amount filled that could be everything they've got period.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yes they do

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Okay, just about done with this Orb collectathon I think. Red from Heliodor early in the story, Yellow from fight times in Octagonia, Green from Nautilus after some fucked up racism against mermaids because humans are awful, Silver from Bird Up after visiting the Loony Land that is the Academy, and Purple from a crypt in Zwaardsrust next to another sealed door with a magic symbol.

All that remains is Blue in Snifflheim and I know where to go since I was there way earlier but couldn't get in. I also went and revisited all those locked magic doors, but apparently those locked locked doors are staying put for now, and picked up some real goodies, like Erik and two Falcon Blades for what I really hope results in quad attacks. Reskilled him to Swords so he can take full advantage. I saw something about farming Strength Seeds to make him absolutely busted but that sounds like it'd take forever.

I'm assuming the skill board increases at some point? They seem a bit small but then going by my level and amount filled that could be everything they've got period.

To the question here.
    Yes, each one has an addition that gets added on at certain points.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Eric is busted on pretty much everything but boomerangs. I figured out the trick with him around this point and all bosses from then on were jokes.

Aside from all the dumb fucking act 3 gimmick bosses, I mean. Fuck ALL that obnoxious bullshit.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cool, got that to look forward to then. Already curious how I'm going to probably help accidentally screw things up once I've got all the orbs and go to Yggdrasil. There's a bunch of stuff still not addressed so I know I'm not even close to the end of the game.

Erik
    I still don't really know what his whole deal is despite being with me the longest. What I do know is that he was a thief and came to Heliodor on the advice of a Seer of some sort to get the Red Orb. Considering he's pretty miffed when he heard it might have been sold, but he's not particularly interested in the money that resulted when he confronted guys friend, there must be something else he wanted it for that had to be the Orb itself. So all of that still needs to be revealed.

Serena and Victoria
    These two are also still pretty mysterious. They come from a place called Arboria but no one I've met has ever mentioned such a country or city. They also came together specifically seeking the Luminary to be his bodyguards, which indicates they likely know more about his legend than just stories and that Arboria itself could be a hidden country dedicated to preserving the Luminary and the true story. I wouldn't be surprised if I made it there and found out they've got all kinds of apocrypha about the Luminary and Shadow Lord they've kept secret for thousands of years.

Sylvando
    The jester who knows more than he seems but rarely fights with all that he has. Clearly a knight of some respect with that epee from the start and probably Don Rodrigo's missing son who disappeared a long while ago going by the diary entry in the manor and Servantes reaction upon spotting Sylvando. But why is he avoiding being discovered? His family seems to think he's dead but various books I've found about his ship and Dave the Navigator always seem to indicate Sylvando is in the mix of things though never identified by name. Could even be his mentor maybe. How did he come to be the Great Sylvando? And why? There's plenty more to dig into that's coming up I'm sure.

Rab and Jade
    Not nearly as mysterious as the rest of them but I'm sure there's plenty to learn considering while the Hero was growing up in the middle of nowhere they were globetrotting and training. Not to mention all the connections Rab has in his search for Mordegon and Jade's childhood being growing up with the thought her "brother" is dead and Mordegon is the one to blame. Lots of stuff to draw on.

Madican on
  • Options
    Boomerangs are really good early game though, until your casters get some upgraded spells and such.

A small combat tip about Eric (and Slyvando a bit too) if you want it
    if you are building either as knife users, keep in mind most bosses can be poisoned.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I've tried landing Erik's whole Poison/Sleep + Combo 6x Damage skills on bosses but they've always died too fast since Veronica lands Sap and that's the game as Hero and Jade spam Unbridled Blade and Multithrust respectively. So I've swapped him over to Swords to try the Falcon Blades out, especially since respeccing costs a minuscule amount of gold so I can always switch back if I want to. My current builds are:

Hero - Greatswords: I went for Helichopter first, then Cutting Edge, and upgraded to Unbridled Blade with a Platinum Powersword +2. Picking up the +damage tiles in Greatsword before I branch off to either Swords or Luminary.

Erik - Swords/Knjives : He was Knives but now he's Swords with just enough into Knives to keep Dual Wield. Dunno how well this is gonna work but I'm gonna find out soon enough.

Veronica - Vim/Heavy Wand: Filled in pretty much every tile in Vim aside from a magic resist tile and now I'm into Heavy Wands pointed right at Antimagic next level-up.

Serena - Spear: I haven't actually done much with Serena since I got Jade. Should probably return her to Light Wand for focused healer stuff. Bosses are probably getting tougher judging by the mural one.

Sylvando - Showmanship/Whip: Sylvando is essentially my big support unit between Hustle Dance and Oomph stuff. Haven't gotten to make use of him much since he only comes out for boss fights or to save Erik/Jade Pep state.

Jade - Spear: I gave Jade a Lightning Spear +3, unlocked Multithrust, +3'd the bow accessory from the Academy, and now she is a terror on the battlefield especially against bosses.

Rab - Honestly I have never used Rab and I just sent him down the tree with Zing Stick in it for guaranteed revive I have also never needed yet. *shrug* He just doesn't do much of what I need right now.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Went back and played the sequel to that Digimon jRPG as I remember it being a budget title I had a pretty decent time with. And still having fun raising up Digimon.

Got me to wondering why I had abruptly stopped playing the first one. Then I remembered I played on hard and didn't know it then but the way they "balanced" hard was by simply doubling enemies stats. Which made late game an absolute grind.

They kinda learned from that and it's only a 1.5 increase this time. But that's still pretty crap balance so I'll just steamroll normal.

• Options
    Madican, definitely keep these updates going. I never knew I could feel so nostalgic about a game that wasn;t even that long ago haha. But man it really was just such a great experience that really had that proper "adventure"feeling the whole ride through.

And yea you can get by with Boomerangs on Erik. I stuck with them the whole game because I'm a weirdo who likes my characters to pick a weapon style and use it all game. Dual wielded them eventually which was p cool but yea he woulda been stronger otherwise. Still got through on Hard mode. Also no character swapping because there too... I like to stick to my set plans.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Went back and played the sequel to that Digimon jRPG as I remember it being a budget title I had a pretty decent time with. And still having fun raising up Digimon.

Got me to wondering why I had abruptly stopped playing the first one. Then I remembered I played on hard and didn't know it then but the way they "balanced" hard was by simply doubling enemies stats. Which made late game an absolute grind.

They kinda learned from that and it's only a 1.5 increase this time. But that's still pretty crap balance so I'll just steamroll normal.

They are both so very simple and basic and budget... but also surprisingly fun. I definitely abused the Digi island over nights for getting the digis I wanted properly set up. But something about have a monster raising game in 3d is just a blast.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    New Tales of Arise trailer:

https://youtu.be/tn7CY1EHc7w

Launches 9/9 in Japan, will have PS5 and XSX versions.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT!

Did not expect this today!

And Sep 10 for the West BTW!

This year is a legit a banger. And people were saying this year was gonna be weak!

Gameplay trailer too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBacdxeJQNo

• Options
    Nice to get a look at the rest of the party.

I knew they were switching things up but I wasn't sure how much and part if me thought it might be system more focused on a single character with a AI follower.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    That character swap tho! I know it's not tales style but it makes me wish for the ffviir command issuing slowdown menu

• Options
    edited April 2021
    And I do love me a system with XP and SP.

Interested to see how exactly that system works.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    As long as they're not sticking with Berseria's weird build a combo system I'll probably get that eventually.

My kingdom for a basic attack button

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    As long as they're not sticking with Berseria's weird build a combo system I'll probably get that eventually.

My kingdom for a basic attack button

I'm conflicted on that.

Some parts of that system I like a lot (boy, it's fun to dump a ridiculously long combo with Velvet, resetting it repeatedly with the claw attack, and then finish with a Mystic Arte), but some other things about it (the break system and status ailments being hard to inflict on bosses) drag it down a lot when it's not working at its full potential.

I think I'd be fine with going back to something like Graces, which had a basic attack button, but also had an action-point system.

If nothing else, I'd like for magic to be as fun to use as in Berseria. I love chaining some spells together as Laphicet.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man that gameplay is hitting all my action RPG buttons. Dope looking moves and quick-switching between party members and actual air combos? And the moves have impact.

When I saw a team-up super I actually gasped and closed the video because I don't need to see any more.

And then for icing on the cake, punchboy party member just for me.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    that MC is clearly in his 30s so i look forward to the official profile of this 17 year old

• Options
    I wonder what the framerate is...

Hoping it's 60fps for PS4 and PS5. If it's 30/60 I'm gonna be annoyed with how hard PS5s are to get.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wonder what the framerate is...

Hoping it's 60fps for PS4 and PS5. If it's 30/60 I'm gonna be annoyed with how hard PS5s are to get.

PS5 confirmed to have both 60FPS option and 4K pretties option.

For anyone that wants to check out the famitsu article that this comes from:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202104/21218269.html

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I really like the mini-super type things. Reminds me of how Abyss handled its supers and the FoF stuff. Strike meter thing looks like it's direct copied from Vesperia which I'm whatever on. Hopefully they added a bit more than just "press button for special." The bit of going around fussing with weeds... not so attractive. While I wasn't a big fan of Berseria's mechanics, what killed it (and Xillia and Vesperia for that matter) was all the backtracking, incredibly poorly thought out and horribly implemented overtures to open world and crafting systems, and nonstop impromptu games of hunt the NPC to continue the already way too fucking long story cutscenes. I know puzzle dungeons ain't coming back, but at least make that shit not so tedious and painful to deal with, and we're good.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Making my way through the Snaerfelt after being told by the Queen of Sniflheim to go kill a witch to unfreeze everyone. And what do I find way out here but a giant frozen dragon stuck in the ice. I'm sure that won't be plot relevant eventually.
    By the way the Queen is either the Witch playing tricks or she's the Witch and also Queen because she wanted some peace and quiet to read her books or something. That's what I'm calling anyway.

Detoured to Arboria because I wanted to see if I could and also get that Zoom location locked in.
    And found a book that reveals the eponymous Sudo Nim, the treasure hunter who first sought the Rainbough but eventually gained the Keystone instead, was none other than the Hero's grandfather Chalky!

Madican on
  • Options
    Making my way through the Snaerfelt after being told by the Queen of Sniflheim t

you're just making names up now!

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    All names are made up tho.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Beat up the Witch's pet monster and learned who is probably the mastermind behind this, though I'm still not ruling out my initial guess either.
    Matching necklace of one of the top two knights in Heliodor? Is it finally time I get to put my boot in Jasper's behind again? Also lol how Hendrik had such a hard time fighting the boss and I just put up Greatsword Guard to parry everything and followed up with Unbridled Blade. Three turns, no damage, easy peasy. Then cutscene caveat happens because JRPG. Oh well, on to the Royal Library!

Edit: Snorri are you Jasper? You have to tell me if you are. Because how convenient you "happened" to be out of the city and "happen" to know where and how the Witch was sealed up and "happen" to be a scholar just like Jasper. Conspiracy I say! Or maybe you're just a regular scholar and this is all a coincidence...NOT! Almost tricked me there but I see through your games!

I might be a little loopy.

Madican on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    All names are made up tho.

And the experience points don't matter.

• Options
    Blue Orb acquired.
    So I was right about the town being Frozen by Krystalinda pretending to be Frysabel, twice, and Jasper being the one who let her go. Snorri really is just a scholar though, which is good because making him also Jasper would have been some convoluted storytelling, if kind of hilarious. Though I gotta say this entire party is a group of idiots. "I wonder who could possibly have the same pendant as Sir Hendrik, ONE of TWO top knights in Heliodor. I just can't think of anyone at all..." And then for some reason the game decides now is the best time for Rab to reveal he stole a porno magazine from the Library by dropping it out of his royal clothes (because costume). Well they did say the Library contains the entire sum of human knowledge so in addition to prophecies and witches it only makes sense to include every copy of Playboy or whatever I guess. Not like perverted old man is anything new to a JRPG and he at least seems to limit it to inanimate magazines so far as I've seen. Please don't do anything to ruin that, DQ.

Now I could probably Zoom back to Arboria and proceed with the main story quest but I am 99% sure now's the time when new quests have opened up for me to do so I'm gonna do a sweep of the world before heading off. Not that I think I'm even remotely close to the end of the game.
    In fact I expect the landscape itself to be shifting once I reach Yggdrasil. There's been several chests I can't even reach in the overworld and no techniques to bridge the gaps. So my guess is I'm gonna accidentally unleash something that does a Cataclysm leading into a second half, World of Ruin FF6 style. Yet another reason to do as much as I can now.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    That Arise combat looks like a hyped up Hearts R and I'm here for that.

Definitely a fan of the more detailed/populated 'overworld' as well, Tales is pretty bad about putting all the work into dungeons or whatever and making the outside just some trees and grass.

Looking forward to it, Tales is a pretty comfy series and I need another. Crestoria writing was pretty good too but the game doesn't quite scratch that itch

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    That Arise combat looks like a hyped up Hearts R and I'm here for that.

Definitely a fan of the more detailed/populated 'overworld' as well, Tales is pretty bad about putting all the work into dungeons or whatever and making the outside just some trees and grass.

Looking forward to it, Tales is a pretty comfy series and I need another. Crestoria writing was pretty good too but the game doesn't quite scratch that itch

Yeah ever since Tales games abandoned fixed camera angles the design and art direction of the game-worlds absolutely tanked. Everything looks so generic, bland, and dated, and area maps don't feel anymore complex than your average Final Fantasy 12 one.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Blue Orb acquired.
    So I was right about the town being Frozen by Krystalinda pretending to be Frysabel, twice, and Jasper being the one who let her go. Snorri really is just a scholar though, which is good because making him also Jasper would have been some convoluted storytelling, if kind of hilarious. Though I gotta say this entire party is a group of idiots. "I wonder who could possibly have the same pendant as Sir Hendrik, ONE of TWO top knights in Heliodor. I just can't think of anyone at all..." And then for some reason the game decides now is the best time for Rab to reveal he stole a porno magazine from the Library by dropping it out of his royal clothes (because costume). Well they did say the Library contains the entire sum of human knowledge so in addition to prophecies and witches it only makes sense to include every copy of Playboy or whatever I guess. Not like perverted old man is anything new to a JRPG and he at least seems to limit it to inanimate magazines so far as I've seen. Please don't do anything to ruin that, DQ.

Now I could probably Zoom back to Arboria and proceed with the main story quest but I am 99% sure now's the time when new quests have opened up for me to do so I'm gonna do a sweep of the world before heading off. Not that I think I'm even remotely close to the end of the game.
    In fact I expect the landscape itself to be shifting once I reach Yggdrasil. There's been several chests I can't even reach in the overworld and no techniques to bridge the gaps. So my guess is I'm gonna accidentally unleash something that does a Cataclysm leading into a second half, World of Ruin FF6 style. Yet another reason to do as much as I can now.

You may already know this but the quest log will tell you if you have quests available but not accepted yet and where you can pick them up, if you want to save some running around the world.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    New Tales of Arise trailer:

https://youtu.be/tn7CY1EHc7w

Launches 9/9 in Japan, will have PS5 and XSX versions.

English-language version:

https://youtu.be/IBad1ZGvQzs

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    You can't fool me that's Thancred FFXIV

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Crossing my fingers for a summoner character.

Tales has always had their own series of summon spirits but that have been absent in the last few games.

I love summons and want them back PLEASE!!!!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yes, give me back my spirits.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.