As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I don’t mind it looking like a PS2 game, I just wanted it to look like an upscaled PS2 game

Default settings was 4:3 and the text was so blocky it was unreadable. I knew it had to be more scalable than THAT.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    There're some high res fan made things too.

FFXI has a pretty active mod scene that Squenix does not endorse or like very much, but it is very easy to find.

If you have any questions about how stuff functions, or what not, I'm happy to help.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Well

I’ve seen games that offer themselves to the player and really ease them in to their most basic functions

and now I’ve also seen Final Fantasy XI

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Bear in mind that FFXI is pre-WoW

The template that they were working off of was Everquest

Maddoc on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    I actually picked up Fire Emblem Fates as a break between routes in Fire Emblem Three Houses. (Its nice to be an adult and be able to go play all those series I missed before.) Still, let's take a moment to marvel at how insufferably bad the communication in FE:3H is. I did Azure Moon first, and it didn't explain anything about the church, the world, the crests, the various spoilery plot bits... Okay, well, I'll just do Crimson Flowers and get Edgelgard's perspective.

Noooope! A couple of name-drops and an abrupt ending that doesn't even finish the plot thread it opened except with a vague "and this continued for a while after".

Apparently the Golden Deer route is how you learn any actual backstory.

Crucial information is buried in supports, and those same supports have severe tonal whiplash.
    Lysithea alone is appalling. She goes from "I'm the jailbait who likes candy don't treat me like a child b-baka!" to "I have magic cancer and will die soon." Why in the everliving world would she be attending a school with the best crest scholars and healers on the continent and quietly proceed to die without saying anything? I understand not trusting Rhea - she does give off a rather unstable vibe - but Seteth is literally the most stable adult in the entire game!

(Yes, I'm aware of her supports with Hanneman and Lindhart. You shouldn't need an A-rank to see a freaking doctor.)

As usual, the plot only works if everyone dutifully carries their idiot ball.

Ah, well, back to Fates. Time to take my eugenic-empowered army and inexplicably fail to murder more of Hoshido.

Speaking as someone who put 500+ hours into Fates with its objectively terrible story

3H burned me out so badly. By the time I had played all four routes I had no desire to ever touch the game again and it was actively stressful, and there are just enough plotholes and inconsistencies that Golden Deer brings as many new questions as it answers, honestly

Also I read some very good observations on the world-building of 3H vs Fates that makes me finder of Fates in retrospect, honestly

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Cold Steel 1 review at the one hour mark: Current favorite character is the one who just really fuckin hates the aristocracy.

Machias is an asshole who is also correct about everything.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

I’m almost certain I remember reading that FFXI was at the time considered an especially friendly MMO, compared to Everquest

Which was a much friendlier Ultima Online

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

I’m almost certain I remember reading that FFXI was at the time considered an especially friendly MMO, compared to Everquest

They have added a bunch of NPCs to explain stuff to you in the starter towns near a bunch of exits. The Records of Eminence found in quests->ROE->tutorial->basics should also point you in the correct direction for some basics.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I was neck deep in Everquest for a year or so, and yeah, FFXI seemed like a HUGE leap forward at the time. Now... its whole setup seems ridiculous. Especially thinking back to how unwieldy the Menu-Based Combat system was. I had to spend hours fine-tuning my macros to get anything resembling a decent ability to react to circumstances, even with how glacially paced most of the combat was.

I'm frequently tempted to go back and try it out again, just to take screenshots and run around, but if you think getting started in the game is difficult, recovering an old account is fucking absurd. One time I had to replace my social security card, birth certificate, and driver's license, and get a new apartment due to the house fire, and found it easier to do all of that combined than it was to get my original FFXI account restored.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I built my first gaming PC as a kid in order to play FFXI.

Lots of saving and learning there.

So many nights that became mornings playing that.

Memories! Friends!

Heck I actually drove to visit some people I met in that game.. when I was 17! Why my parents accepted "Hey me and my buddy are going to drive across state lines and go stay in the basement of some dude we met online and don't even know what he looks like for a week, ok?" I may never know.

But we lived!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Y'all weren't joking about it being just Act 3. I have questions about the consequences of this but hopefully they'll answer some of it

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

They have added a bunch of NPCs to explain stuff to you in the starter towns near a bunch of exits. The Records of Eminence found in quests->ROE->tutorial->basics should also point you in the correct direction for some basics.

I'm following a beginner's guide that helpfully pointed me to those things, yeah. I'm getting the hang of it, I think. It's just unwieldy and unergonomic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    For sure. I used ijkl to move and wsad on camera and just learnednover years to move.

Use alt m/w/j/i to access magic/weapon skill/job ability/items faster.

You can type pretty much every command as well.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm going to save maxing all social links for NG+, but how many maxed S-links would be reasonable for a first playthrough in P4G?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    I'm going to save maxing all social links for NG+, but how many maxed S-links would be reasonable for a first playthrough in P4G?

Well depending on how experienced you are its pretty reasonable to max all links without a guide.

Golden is a lot more generous with time than 3.

But yeah just go with the flow and you'll be good.

Also if you are new one tip is having an persona with a matching arcana to your current s.link gives you a point bonus.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    For sure. I used ijkl to move and wsad on camera and just learnednover years to move.

Use alt m/w/j/i to access magic/weapon skill/job ability/items faster.

You can type pretty much every command as well.

In FPS games I used to use igjk as movement keys because it spread my fingers out more and left more keys available for other stuff. I've conformed to the wasd keys now, but my fingers don't love it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Without spoiling stuff, the hermit social link will make dungeons a lot more manageable so it might be worth it to focus on that a bit when you unlock it.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Alright FFXI people, help me out

I've had this Echad Ring equipped since I started, which I assumed gave me a 150% XP bonus while equipped, but it seems rather that I have to activate it on cooldown to get the bonus. How do I do that? I can't, like, mechanically, find where to turn it on in the UI.

sig.gif
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Cold Steel 1 at the 3 hour mark: wait a minute, this is a Persona.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cold Steel 1 at the 3 hour mark: wait a minute, this is a Persona.

Except totally not.

Definitely tries to crib that one part but... ugh ...UGH I SAY!

• Options
    Alright FFXI people, help me out

I've had this Echad Ring equipped since I started, which I assumed gave me a 150% XP bonus while equipped, but it seems rather that I have to activate it on cooldown to get the bonus. How do I do that? I can't, like, mechanically, find where to turn it on in the UI.

Open up your item menu and use it while it is equipped. Alt I is the shortcut. The indications at the bottom are to tell you that it is an enchantment with a requirement that you have to wear it for 30 seconds before you can use it, and a 1 hour recast time. You can take the ring off once you use the exp enchantment. Since it says that it's 1/1 that means it never runs out of enchantment and can be reused after the hour cool down. If it had 3/3 for instance, it would mean it only has 3 charges.

@SimBen

• Options
    I just figured it out. I was thinking too modern game design and not enough Final Fantasy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hey, given that 13 sentinels is vanillaware, is there like any chance of it coming to anything other than PS4/PS5?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh god, Kasuga geeking out over collecting cool bugs off the ground I can't even

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    hey, given that 13 sentinels is vanillaware, is there like any chance of it coming to anything other than PS4/PS5?

I'd like to hope so, but Vanillaware has done absolutely nothing for the Switch. Like, at all. They couldn't even be bothered to toss Dragon's Crown onto it when they did the PS4 port.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright hard mode < Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest normal mode. Blowing through that campaign with barely a road bump. I'm about 250 hours into the FE series now, and I've acclimated to the rhythm of the series. After Conquest, Three Houses hard mode feels like a summer stroll.

Gotta say that Garreg Mach wears thin by the third playthrough of spamming dinners and the weekly lessons.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm playing Omori, and about an hour into the game I've met my pan-dimensional nemesis, the naming screen.

Should this boy be "me" (as, I suspect, the game wants it to be), or should I accept the emotional distance of taking the default? At least they give you the option of a default here, as opposed to forcing you to put in a custom name with all the attendant expectations you may apply to it.

I can make any decision instantly except what arbitrary descriptor to attach to this 32x32 set of pixels. Ugh.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    If there's a default name I use it because who am I to erase who they are

• Options
    You are god and the characters are yours to play with until they inevitably rise up to kill and dethrone you.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I beat Mother 3 today. I really liked it. Earthbound wasn't released over here, so I never had any familiarity with the series growing up.

It was a lot shorter than I was expecting. Super linear too. I was a little surprised that Salsa didn't play a bigger role.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a big visual novel guy. I play games for their interactivity if I'm just here for story a movie or book is what I prefer.

Edit: Also is Sakura Wars any good...its half off but nothing about it really grabs me.

I personally liked it but I’m a sucker for mecha and visual novel stuff. If you aren’t, then it might not be for you because it is very heavy on that aspect.

I believe your enjoyment of it is directly opposite to how much you like the original game(s).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I beat Persona 4, which was an enjoyable experience if one I probably won't go back to 100% after getting the Golden Ending. Now I'm on to Octopath Traveler and it is time to learn how much patience I have these days for classic JRPG grinding for individual characters.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I decided to start a file on Dragon Quest IX.

...this Aquila dude is just Tien.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Also, the instruction book is gold. It’s full plentiful puns and an amazing assortment of alliteration.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Oh good, this thread got bumped

I’m now a level 42 warrior/20 thief and I’ve cleared Bastok rank 3. I logged off last night after settling in Parshhow Marshlands waiting for it to either rain or thunder for the summoner quest, which is by far the most annoying bullshit in this game so far.

My current goal is to finish getting Summoner (the last of the vanilla jobs I need to get), finish Bastok rank 5 and do the other two nations, which feels pretty attainable now.

I keep running into the intro cutscene of future expansions and it sure seems like they eventually started focusing on making the game more Final Fantasy.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I've spent the past few weeks playing through Jeanne d'Arc, the serviceable but charming PSP Tactical RPG Level 5 made for the PSP. I felt bad that I never finished it back when it came out.

The anime cutscenes are fun, I love the look of it and the gameplay is solid. I love the idea of taking a real life historical figure and just being like "hey, let's add demons and animal people and other mythical beings into this to really muddy the waters of these events"

I'll probably forget I ever played it in a month or so, but I'm enjoying my time.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I decided to start a file on Dragon Quest IX.

...this Aquila dude is just Tien.

Coincidentally, I just deleted my file halfway through, out of a sense that the game was taking up too much of my time when I really need to be more focused on serious matters.

And, admittedly, that was my own fault; if you commit to doing all the sidequests, you'll run into the game's thornier design decisions, like sidequests that want you to kill Metal Slimes after wasting turns on pointless moves or defeating an enemy that can cast Midheal four times using nothing but poison damage. Or when it asks you to bring items you haven't seen yet, and then refuses to let you stock more than 10 quests at a time because reasons.

It's a perfectly fine Dragon Quest if you limit yourself to the Vocation unlock quests and tell everyone else to pound sand, and also don't try to overlevel yourself with repeated Vocation swapping. I did both and immiserated myself.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Who else is ready for some good old fashioned Ys goodness this week?

I am hyped!

A lot of people are saying this one is real good. Taking all the best stuff of 8 and making it better.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I am hyped!

A lot of people are saying this one is real good. Taking all the best stuff of 8 and making it better.

Timed exclusive on inferior platform though it seems?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

I am hyped!

Yeah I played Ys 8 and while it didn't blow me away it was a very entertaining action RPG with combat I really enjoyed.

So I'll be getting the next one if not for anything more than that. All the praise its getting is a bonus.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.