As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

CNN news anchor with Acosta reporting
    Senior Trump adviser tells
    @Acosta
    Trump is "clueless what any of this means internationally or historically," but Trump has told aides and advisers he does fear what the violence at the Capitol has done to his businesses and "the long-term brand."

What a shock Trump is more worried about losing more money versus you know getting people killed.

Holy fucking shit.

Yeah man who could have predicted running a 3 month long unsuccessful coup attempt culminating in a riot and sack of the capitol building could have a negative effect on your hotel and golf course business.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

@Acosta
    Trump is "clueless what any of this means internationally or historically," but Trump has told aides and advisers he does fear what the violence at the Capitol has done to his businesses and "the long-term brand."

What a shock Trump is more worried about losing more money versus you know getting people killed.

Holy fucking shit.

Yeah man who could have predicted running a 3 month long unsuccessful coup attempt culminating in a riot and sack of the capitol building could have a negative effect on your hotel and golf course business.

You're looking at the priorities of a man who has literally failed his entire life without suffering a single consequence of that failure.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure it's the monetary value of his brand he's worried about. I mean, of course he is, but there's also what his brand is supposed to represent, the take-no-shit successful businessman. That aspect is also shattered.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The impeachment is for us

The total ruination of his shitty empire of fools gold is for him

I mean, it’s also for us

But he will understand that more than anything else

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They weren't even firmly rejected in the 2020 election! It's never going to happen. We have to stop hoping and wishing for it. And we also don't need to be surprised by it every time. That's the status quo for them.

We're not wishing and hoping, we're angry. And letting them off the hook by pretending this shit is acceptable isn't going to help.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The impeachment is for us

The total ruination of his shitty empire of fools gold is for him

I mean, it’s also for us

But he will understand that more than anything else

Oh, I don't know. The total ruination feels like it's for me.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    They weren't even firmly rejected in the 2020 election! It's never going to happen. We have to stop hoping and wishing for it. And we also don't need to be surprised by it every time. That's the status quo for them.

We're not wishing and hoping, we're angry. And letting them off the hook by pretending this shit is acceptable isn't going to help.
    I didn't say let them off the hook. I said stop being surprised that the entire Republican body voted not to impeach. Don't mince my words.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular

@Acosta

Holy fucking shit.

You're looking at the priorities of a man who has literally failed his entire life without suffering a single consequence of that failure.

He is the textbook definition of failing upward.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    So is this the day he finally becomes President, or is that next week?

When he drops dead they should absolutely deny him the right of any sort of state funeral

Presidential Libraries are initially funded by a President's foundation with private donations to the nonprofit. Trump is barred from operating a nonprofit in the State of New York due to fraud. Meaning he can't have his Presidential Library in New York because of a court order acknowledging he defrauded children.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

When he drops dead they should absolutely deny him the right of any sort of state funeral

Presidential Libraries are initially funded by a President's foundation with private donations to the nonprofit. Trump is barred from operating a nonprofit in the State of New York due to fraud. Meaning he can't have his Presidential Library in New York because of a court order acknowledging he defrauded children.

I hate this only because I have to hope he chooses Florida over New Jersey

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Get out of my state, Trump! >:(

• Options
    Roll Call 17 with the list of votes

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/202117

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

He'd put it in Florida anyway, in some tourist trap, and charge an arm and a leg to get the tour of his "accomplishments." I suspect there aren't really even any presidential documents to maintain. And if there were, a good chunk of them would be incriminating.

Dark_Side on
  • Options

I hate this only because I have to hope he chooses Florida over New Jersey

He could try Pennsylvania, but I doubt Wharton wants to be affiliated even more with him.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Not going to lie, while I'm glad he's Impeached again, seeing that only 10 republicans voted yay, and 197 republicans voted to support domestic terrorism, is a bit of a wet blanket.

Do you mean terrifying?

Yes. Very much this.
    Enc wrote: »
    Not going to lie, while I'm glad he's Impeached again, seeing that only 10 republicans voted yay, and 197 republicans voted to support domestic terrorism, is a bit of a wet blanket.

That's actually a very large R number for this sort of thing.

It will never not be disappointing that this is our current reality.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure it's the monetary value of his brand he's worried about. I mean, of course he is, but there's also what his brand is supposed to represent, the take-no-shit successful businessman. That aspect is also shattered.

it was never there

half the country just pretends

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Roll Call 17 with the list of votes

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/202117
    One of the No Votes, Granger (R-TX), has only 2 recorded votes out of 17 roll calls in 2021.

What garbage.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Is he actually impeached? The senate acquited him last time, can they not just do it again this time?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Is he actually impeached? The senate acquited him last time, can they not just do it again this time?

House impeaches, Senate determines whether or not to remove him.

Edit: Pithier answer: Yes he is impeached, no they can’t acquit (meaning that he is not considered impeached), but yes they can keep him in office.

Nonetheless, he’s impeached.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Yes, he's impeached. Now the House must transmit the articles of impeachment to the Senate floor for them to take up and start the removal trial.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    You get Impeached in the House. Convicted in the Senate.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    But he was already impeached before, but then the Senate acquitted him. So surely the Senate has to agree to impeach this time in order to prevent him running again?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    But he was already impeached before, but then the Senate acquitted him. So surely the Senate has to agree to impeach this time in order to prevent him running again?

Not acquitted, just not removed from office. For there to be meaningful consequences that aren’t legacy-based, yes, the Senate needs to vote for his removal. Procedurally, I think the ‘barred from office’ bit is a separate vote after the removal vote.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

He did the same thing the other day. He asked a question, and stood there while he was ignored.

• Options
    southwick wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

He did the same thing the other day. He asked a question, and stood there while he was ignored.

Nobody else can speak unless he yields his time to them, which he did not do.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is McConnell still planning on waiting until after inauguration to move forward?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Senate does three votes (four if you count setting their rules)

Conviction - requires 2/3
    Removal - requires 2/3
    Disqualification (from holding office again) - requires majority

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Disqualification also doesn't require conviction or removal and is an optional vote at their discretion

Chanus on
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is McConnell still planning on waiting until after inauguration to move forward?

answer seems to change every time i hear an answer

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

He announced today that he is waiting until after.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Removal - requires 2/3

What is conviction, if removal and disqualification are both separate votes? Could a president be "convicted" in that the Senate finds impeachable shit occurred, but allows the president to stay in office and serve again if the Removal/Disqualification are voted down?

Taximes on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Well. According to Chanus' findings on the Disqualification vote, that means Majority Leader Schumer can disqualify Trump from holding office with a straight majority vote...

• Options
    AnsagoAnsago Formerly QuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »

Well. According to Chanus' findings on the Disqualification vote, that means Majority Leader Schumer can disqualify Trump from holding office with a straight majority vote...

This is probably what McConnell is hoping for, letting the D's do the dirty work while still managing to rid the GOP of having to worry about him running again.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Removal - requires 2/3

What is conviction, if removal and disqualification are both separate votes? Could a president be "convicted" in that they admit impeachable shit occurred, but allowed to stay in office and serve again if the Removal/Disqualification are voted down?

This is all so confusing I googled it until I got an answer that seemed to have done the legwork to cite stuff. Based on the article linked below the Senate has held that conviction means removal from office since at least 1936. Barring from office is currently interpreted by the Senate to require a simple majority vote after conviction which they have stuck to so far. All of this appears to be based on what the Senate from 1936 agreed to so who knows if it holds up, but it appears to be the best answers we currently have. Or I found a shady site masquerading as a solid site.

https://law.justia.com/constitution/us/article-2/49-judgment-removal-and-disqualification.html

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ansago wrote: »

This is probably what McConnell is hoping for, letting the D's do the dirty work while still managing to rid the GOP of having to worry about him running again.

My entire adult life has been Democrats having to spend most of their time unfucking whatever the Republicans did while they were in power.

• Options

Removal - requires 2/3

What is conviction, if removal and disqualification are both separate votes? Could a president be "convicted" in that the Senate finds impeachable shit occurred, but allows the president to stay in office and serve again if the Removal/Disqualification are voted down?

i mixed myself up there

Conviction/Removal is one vote requiring 2/3

Disqualification is a separate optional vote only requiring a majority and not requiring conviction/removal

• Options
    Ansago wrote: »

yeah McConnell is more than happy to let this happen on Schumer's watch

• Options
    technically conviction and removal are separate votes but they just assume one follows the other apparently

• Options
    it is telling that nobody is sure how it works because the only time in the last almost 100 years impeachment was legitimate before Trump was Nixon and he resigned before it could happen

Clinton was not only bullshit but he also was in his second term so Disqualification would have been pointless

This discussion has been closed.