As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All [birds], all the time!

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Doves have to brood multiple times a year because they are, quite frankly, terrible at building nests that protect the eggs.

You can't just say that and not post any photos!

mqzrk72rzf431.jpg

l0vi2p3vuvz41.jpg?auto=webp&s=d2c1f1c0c604bd47df1c3a423c781ede4cc63888

broken image link
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "I made this!"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Me as a bird

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I can't tell what we're looking at there.

If you rotate the image 180 degrees you will see that it is in fact a squirrel

bu6zwhkkbunu.jpg

I'm not sure rotating it helps. But yeah, it's a squirrel. I meant to actually say that, but that's what I get for having a total of 7 hours of sleep in 3 days.

And most of the squirrels around here are that color.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've never seen a squirrel that brown before.

Did you expect it to be more red, or more grey? I've only lived in one place with squirrels, and they're just kind of that shade of brown.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Did you expect it to be more red, or more grey? I've only lived in one place with squirrels, and they're just kind of that shade of brown.

More grey, like the squirrels we had in Washington.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I am absolutely delighted that the birds don't even seem to be able to figure out how to sit on the eggs in those photos. This is probably not true, but it is now my head cannon.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Up in northern MN, we had grey squirrels and red squirrels (and chipmunks). Greys were a menace, but Reds weren't as tenacious in the Bird Feeder Defensive Arms Race.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There is a burrowing owl that lives near my house
    It built it's nest along side a bike path
    a2ls0xd1qltb.png
    It's been raining at night so with how dry it's been it makes a mess
    I don't know if it collected the rocks or they ended up washing up like that
    kmjpa1vd1l84.png

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »

More grey, like the squirrels we had in Washington.

That's because it's (edit: The squirrel in the picture upthread) probably a Fox Squrrel and not the Western Gray you get in Washington (similar to the Eastern Gray,but neither species cross the rockies)

Veevee on
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Doves have to brood multiple times a year because they are, quite frankly, terrible at building nests that protect the eggs.

You can't just say that and not post any photos!

mqzrk72rzf431.jpg

l0vi2p3vuvz41.jpg?auto=webp&s=d2c1f1c0c604bd47df1c3a423c781ede4cc63888

Otoh, it always warms my heart to see massive pigeon nests built on top of anti-pigeon spikes :biggrin:

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Time for the 2021 Audubon Photography Awards. This link is for the top 100, gems like these:
    web_021_aud_apa-2021_rhinoceros-auklets_p1_14020-6_photo-rhys-logan_0.jpg

web_032_aud_apa-2021_mountain-bluebird_a1_14407-1_photo-eric-peterson_0.jpg

web_037_aud_apa-2021_common-loon_p0_12409-11_photo-sue-dougherty_0.jpg

And once you go through those 100, there are the grand prize winners. There's a new video award too, and I recommend watching the one with the hawk.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So earlier this year I saw some roadrunners
    vf3qwewpcpqm.png

I have seen one or the other around the neighborhood since so I think they live in that cactus patch as I saw them both today
    The female
    6ynx7oriscdl.png

And the male was in the street nearby
    936tirn1p3nt.png

My brother and I make fun of the fact how many predators are in the neighborhood so their must be an abundance of prey

Brainleech wrote: »
    So earlier this year I saw some roadrunners
    vf3qwewpcpqm.png

I have seen one or the other around the neighborhood since so I think they live in that cactus patch as I saw them both today
    The female
    6ynx7oriscdl.png

And the male was in the street nearby
    936tirn1p3nt.png

My brother and I make fun of the fact how many predators are in the neighborhood so their must be an abundance of prey

Funny thing is that I never knew roadrunners were predators until I played Wingspan.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Cr0w coin

edited July 2021
    I've started hearing my little mystery friend again, but it seems like every time she's chirping there's a ton of noise in my neighborhood so Merlin can't get a fix. I never realized how much noise pollution there is around here but it's very annoying.

Anyway, enjoy this Common Yellowthroat I heard while vacationing last week (around 0:08)

https://youtu.be/62dPRms4vC0

DisruptedCapitalist on
    I learned of a borb I hadn't known of before: the rufous antpitta.

Rufous%20Antpitta%20-%2001.jpg

Also I learned about them too late because it turns out "rufous antpittas" are actually a complex of 13 different species that all basically look alike but are distinguished by different ranges, habitats, and songs. Thirteen species of borb!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hey little borb why are your legs so long?

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's a crow that lives near me, I call them Scar 'cause they've got a scrape/divot down the side of its beak. not bad enough to be an impediment, 'cause I think they're pretty old.

sometimes I see it around town, doin' crow stuff

Ok birb people... there's this bird I've heard over the past year that's been driving me nuts. I can't figure out what it is, and it's birdsong is not like anything I've ever heard in New England before. The closest thing I figured was that it was some exotic bird that was a lost pet and would likely die in the winter; but no, it started chirping again this spring!

Any ideas??

https://youtu.be/dpSTO5pErbw

My mom thought it was a red wing blackbird, but... it doesn't sound anything like that AFAICT

Ok! I finally managed to get a recording on Merlin that worked! This is a Song Sparrow!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Goose flying upside down is simply showing off, say experts

Reads like an Onion headline but I promise you it's an actual article with bird pictures in it.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Not gonna get me! This is a rickroll or something, isn't it?

Whatever it is, nice try, pull the other one.

Reading up on song sparrows: apparently song sparrows have different songs depending on what region they're in, so my song sparrow would sound a lot different from a song sparrow from Nevada for example. That explains why I never heard any thing like it before but even more amazing that Merlin can still identify it.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Royal Albatross~Health check up by an Ranger ~ 6:40 PM 2020/02/03 1:48
    https://youtu.be/SItO0Lz1gY0

Some kind of magical serenity in this footage

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that bird is surprisingly chill about the guy taking its chick out from under it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    that bird is surprisingly chill about the guy taking its chick out from under it

“Hey. C’mon, now. Hey. What—hey.

Hey.

Hey.

And don’t ever let me catch you coming around here again.

Sure showed him.”

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that isn't the weirdest looking bird I've ever seen, but there's definitely something a little weird about it

probably the angry eyes

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Albatrosses kind of look like enormous seagulls, and it throws off my perception of the scale of everything around them :razz:

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

“Hey. C’mon, now. Hey. What—hey.

Hey.

Hey.

And don’t ever let me catch you coming around here again.

Sure showed him.”

I always love watching birds biting at people way bigger than them. Like obviously depending on the bird and how it gets you it can be pretty bad (i got bitten by a parrot once and tore a strip of skin off my finger) .
    But stuff like that albatross basically just gumming that guys arm or the video of the pelican trying to eat the capybara while it studiously ignores it make me giggle.

steam_sig.png
    What about the shoebill and the duck?

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Royal Albatross~Health check up by an Ranger ~ 6:40 PM 2020/02/03 1:48
    https://youtu.be/SItO0Lz1gY0

Some kind of magical serenity in this footage

Oh hey, it's the Royal Albatross nesting site near Dunedin. I've met a couple people who worked there.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    I saw a red tailed hawk nab a bunny in my back yard this evening. It blew my mind.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, the All [bunnies,] all the time! thread isn't going to be happy about this.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it's crazy how fast it is

just scooop

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Oh they'll scoop ya!

I always love watching birds biting at people way bigger than them. Like obviously depending on the bird and how it gets you it can be pretty bad (i got bitten by a parrot once and tore a strip of skin off my finger) .
    But stuff like that albatross basically just gumming that guys arm or the video of the pelican trying to eat the capybara while it studiously ignores it make me giggle.

Spoiled for big
    ldojprzeyb1l.jpg

Was just trying to get this chickadee out of a net during bird banding.