As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2021: Coup Harder

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    living in DC is expensive, but I could outright pay for 10 acres and a house less than an hour outside of DC with one year of their salary

Which works for everyone who lives near enough. The ones living thousands of miles away who are also expected to be in their state while congress is out of session not so much.

why not?

That's just an extreme example. The metro (or driving) from my town is about 45 minutes from the capitol and a house isn't squat

DC again is super expensive, but it isn't the only option

heck, you could live in a garbage house in Indian Head for $25,000 outright. It's not going to win style points, but it's 25 minutes to a metro station or just over 40 minutes to drive.

Plus a transcontinental flight.

they don't pay for those I thought

It's not even a matter of pay. It's a matter of time. No, I don't expect people who routinely have to fly cross-country...effectively spending 50% of their time on business travel...to also have to deal with a one hour commute on the other end. If my job wanted me to spend half my time on the other coast and insisted I book a hotel an hour from the work site, I'd tell them to fuck right off.

Also what you could pay for with one year of their salary is irrelevant, since they get paid one year of their salary less taxes, medical, retirement, and then have expenses back in their home state. So they don't have a full year of their salary to buy a home, that's not how life works. They already have a home, and bills. And all of this is just majorly whooshing the point that we should expect the five hundred and thirty or so of Americans who kinda-sorta "run shit" to make halfass decent salaries. A Congressperson makes about what a particularly successful Target store manager makes, last I checked. $175K sounds like a fuckton of money to people on the south side of the median income, I'm not ignorant of that. But it's actually not that much considering the theoretical qualifications of the job, duties required, responsibility it entails, and throwing in a dash of two households and having to live a public life.

I'd argue the pay is low.

Well, we can't discount the opportunity value of insider trading. What's the stat? Senators' portfolios average 22% higher than the mean?

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Evidence for inside job, chronologically (?):
    0. Capitol Police turning down offers to bolster numbers in light of incredibly obvious online planning and organizing
    1. Tours in the days before the coup attempt led by a congressperson we would be least surprised to learn was leading surprise tours
    2. Panic Button module removed from Pressley’s office, has been used before (?!?!?!) because as a member of the Squad there are MAGA chuds who threaten them and (Warning of gross stuff)
    reddits dedicated to degenerates posting their sexual abuse fantasies about them
    3. Terrorists pictured holding floor plans of the building during the coup attempt
    4. Terrorists telling “where are they?!?!” when their targets weren’t in the places they were expected to be
    5. Clyburn’s unmarked office being vandalized

Rep. Cawthorn (R-NC) also said he was carrying a gun inside of the capitol that day. He was probably trying to brag from a 2nd Amendment "I would have defended myself with a gun!" position, but it's possible he wanted to join in the violence.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    0. Capitol Police turning down offers to bolster numbers in light of incredibly obvious online planning and organizing
    1. Tours in the days before the coup attempt led by a congressperson we would be least surprised to learn was leading surprise tours
    2. Panic Button module removed from Pressley’s office, has been used before (?!?!?!) because as a member of the Squad there are MAGA chuds who threaten them and (Warning of gross stuff)
    reddits dedicated to degenerates posting their sexual abuse fantasies about them
    3. Terrorists pictured holding floor plans of the building during the coup attempt
    4. Terrorists telling “where are they?!?!” when their targets weren’t in the places they were expected to be

Rep. Cawthorn (R-NC) also said he was carrying a gun inside of the capitol that day. He was probably trying to brag from a 2nd Amendment "I would have defended myself with a gun!" position, but it's possible he wanted to join in the violence.

If only he'd have been one of the guys to blow his own junk off and slink off to be the Philosopher-King of some subreddit.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

The fact that so many of these assholes insist on carrying a gun, but refuse to wear a mask, means that this has never been about defending, protecting, or safe guarding anyone.

It's about having the chance to kill someone.

VuIBhrs.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

The fact that so many of these assholes insist on carrying a gun, but refuse to wear a mask, means that this has never been about defending, protecting, or safe guarding anyone.

See also: anyone who chooses to carry a gun, but doesn't have a first aid kit in their house or car.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The New York Times reports that “confederate flag guy” joins the ranks of the arrested

A man who carried a Confederate flag inside the Capitol last week during the riot was arrested on Thursday. Kevin Seefried was wanted by the FBI, which had sought help from the public to identify him and had widely circulated a dispatch with his photo.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jesus. Delaware.

Imagine.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Or imagine being whisked away to... Delaware.

Hi... I'm in Delaware.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Problem is... no matter how much you pay them... kinda like dragons, they have the instinct to accumulate MORE. Sure their salary might be able to pay for a residence in DC...but when company XYZ offers a home for 'vacationing purposes', or something, the ability to resist is tested.

yeah it's not like people are taking corporate money because they can't afford rent. you've got motherfuckers that are already worth millions and millions that are still more than happy to take those corporate "donations"

raising the salary would have zero impact on the influence of that kind of money

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Problem is... no matter how much you pay them... kinda like dragons, they have the instinct to accumulate MORE. Sure their salary might be able to pay for a residence in DC...but when company XYZ offers a home for 'vacationing purposes', or something, the ability to resist is tested.

yeah it's not like people are taking corporate money because they can't afford rent. you've got motherfuckers that are already worth millions and millions that are still more than happy to take those corporate "donations"

raising the salary would have zero impact on the influence of that kind of money

that's the trap of aspirational capitalism, even if you manage to cross one threshold to next strata of wealth you're immediately tempted by the next even more opulent door to the next even more privileged class. once you fly first class you gotta know what business class is, you gotta know what a private jet is like, you gotta know what riding Wynn's Jet is like, you gotta know what OWNING a private jet is like... and you can never go backwards. those gilded doors only open once and you can't waste it.

making public service a path to those doors, is a foundational flaw in democracy.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Spears: not weapons

https://www.propublica.org/article/no-one-took-us-seriously-black-cops-warned-about-racist-capitol-police-officers-for-years/
    Last month, days after a bloody clash on Dec. 12 between militant Trump supporters and counterprotesters, Melissa Byrne and Chibundu Nnake were entering the Capitol when they saw a strangely dressed man just outside the building, carrying a spear.

He was a figure they would come to recognize — Jacob Chansley, the QAnon follower in a Viking outfit who was photographed last week shouting from the dais of the Senate chamber.

They alerted the Capitol Police at the time, as the spear seemed to violate the complex’s weapons ban, but officers dismissed their concern, they said.

One officer told them that Chansley had been stopped earlier in the day, but that police “higher ups” had decided not to do anything about him.

We don’t “perceive it as a weapon,” Nnake recalled the officer saying of the spear.

Are you fucking kidding me? When I was doing Grand Jury Duty in 2019 (God that feels like a decade ago), the security on the doors wouldn't let me bring a fork into the courthouse. A fork. And this was Dallas county where virtually everyone is packing. Until now the Capitol has been left more defenseless than Guns, USA. JFC.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The bigger problem is the pay for all the lower level offices.

If you want a career in politics and aren't independently wealthy or have like a spouse who makes enough to cover the household you're kind of fucked when like local city council pays a token 5k or some shit.
    Hell usually even state level positions pay shit.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    This dude gave an interview after beating a police officer in which he said all the officers should be killed, which I'm guessing may increase the severity of his charges:

https://youtu.be/SVhLKKTUhIg

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Aioua wrote: »

If you want a career in politics and aren't independently wealthy or have like a spouse who makes enough to cover the household you're kind of fucked when like local city council pays a token 5k or some shit.

A lot of state legislatures are part time paid jobs and full time work. Virginia assembly members make around $30k a year. They meet for about 6 months out of the year and have to campaign and still answer constituents all year. During the assembly its a full 8-10 hours a day so you can't work.

This to me is insane. How can we expect people basically not work for 6 months for shit pay who also write our laws? Also I mean some state governments don't even go that long. Its like 3 months or every other year. It is insane to me how our state governments function as if running a state of millions of people with huge economies only requires part time work by those governing it. Its insane.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

https://www.propublica.org/article/no-one-took-us-seriously-black-cops-warned-about-racist-capitol-police-officers-for-years/
    Last month, days after a bloody clash on Dec. 12 between militant Trump supporters and counterprotesters, Melissa Byrne and Chibundu Nnake were entering the Capitol when they saw a strangely dressed man just outside the building, carrying a spear.

He was a figure they would come to recognize — Jacob Chansley, the QAnon follower in a Viking outfit who was photographed last week shouting from the dais of the Senate chamber.

They alerted the Capitol Police at the time, as the spear seemed to violate the complex’s weapons ban, but officers dismissed their concern, they said.

One officer told them that Chansley had been stopped earlier in the day, but that police “higher ups” had decided not to do anything about him.

We don’t “perceive it as a weapon,” Nnake recalled the officer saying of the spear.

Are you fucking kidding me? When I was doing Grand Jury Duty in 2019 (God that feels like a decade ago), the security on the doors wouldn't let me bring a fork into the courthouse. A fork. And this was Dallas county where virtually everyone is packing. Until now the Capitol has been left more defenseless than Guns, USA. JFC.

Pentagon employees can't break a sneak knife to eat a steak they're bringing in.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    DHS wrote: »

that's the trap of aspirational capitalism, even if you manage to cross one threshold to next strata of wealth you're immediately tempted by the next even more opulent door to the next even more privileged class. once you fly first class you gotta know what business class is, you gotta know what a private jet is like, you gotta know what riding Wynn's Jet is like, you gotta know what OWNING a private jet is like... and you can never go backwards. those gilded doors only open once and you can't waste it.

making public service a path to those doors, is a foundational flaw in democracy.

On a more fundamental level, psychology calls it the Hedonistic Treadmill.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

But it would empower more people like Cori Bush to run for and hold office. Maybe even let them afford to get their professional attire from somewhere other than a thrift store.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Or it's just cultural signaling. Masks are for left-wingers, guns are for right-wingers, ergo I wear one and not the other.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Literally the dictionary definition of a spear:
    1. a weapon with a pointed tip, typically of steel, and a long shaft, used for thrusting or throwing.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

A lot of state legislatures are part time paid jobs and full time work. Virginia assembly members make around $30k a year. They meet for about 6 months out of the year and have to campaign and still answer constituents all year. During the assembly its a full 8-10 hours a day so you can't work.

This to me is insane. How can we expect people basically not work for 6 months for shit pay who also write our laws? Also I mean some state governments don't even go that long. Its like 3 months or every other year. It is insane to me how our state governments function as if running a state of millions of people with huge economies only requires part time work by those governing it. Its insane.

I had a teacher in high school who was also a state rep. I'd actually have to look to see which paid worse (...probably teaching, because fucking over teachers is a national pastime, but)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

Pentagon employees can't break a sneak knife to eat a steak they're bringing in.

Blades longer than 3 inches, most facilities just don't check.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Representative Adriano Espaillat has announced he has covid-19, having been forced to shelter with maskless GOP representatives

The gutting part is that he was also vaccinated last week, but the effects of the second dose hadn’t kicked in in time

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

But it would empower more people like Cori Bush to run for and hold office. Maybe even let them afford to get their professional attire from somewhere other than a thrift store.

Oh yeah I'm definitely not saying things are fine as is, just that we shouldn't look to raising salaries as a way to combat corruption.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Atomika wrote: »
    Jesus. Delaware.

Imagine.

I enjoy our no sales tax and charging travelers exorbitant fees to drive on I-95 through our State :).

Also, it's small enough that I've hung out with Uncle Joe while getting coffee.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Come for “hello nice FBI lady, here are the videos of my crimes!”

Stay for “Is this a photo you posted on your Instagram of the plaque outside Nancy Pelosi’s office?”
    “Wow! You’re good! I only had it on there for an hour!”
    “...”
    “Also I can’t be sure I posted that.”

Southpaw is Twitter’s lawyer dog, a writer and legal expert

LYONS stated that he "100% guaranteed, without incriminating himself" that he saw nothing being damaged. He further stated that in a dream he had, he saw a lot of banging on doors, paper being thrown about, and a mob of people. Acording to LYONS, in the dream, people didn't really have much choice of where they were going because of the mob. LYONS advised that if he were inside, he was inside for approximately 45 minutes

fucking

what

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh wow that was a trip.

There's apparently a second Kevin Lyons who's a NY graphical artist. And on his image results there's a picture where he's sitting at a desk just like that other dude inside Pelosi's office. And he actually kinda looks like that dude as well, just older.

kevin-lyons-banana-phone_857477577590579ebced437e7f6a75bc_grande.jpg?v=1504595635

So he's not involved but my mind is somehow convinced he was there?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Come for “hello nice FBI lady, here are the videos of my crimes!”

Stay for “Is this a photo you posted on your Instagram of the plaque outside Nancy Pelosi’s office?”
    “Wow! You’re good! I only had it on there for an hour!”
    “...”
    “Also I can’t be sure I posted that.”

Southpaw is Twitter’s lawyer dog, a writer and legal expert

“He attempted to wear his level 3 Kevlar vest, but was unable to fit it over his sweatshirt.”

Glorious.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    This has got to be one of the dumbest insurrections in world history... and yet they’re a genuine threat.

"I see everything twice!"

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I think these people are actually mentally disabled. Like, in the clinical sense. No one could be this stupid and arrogant otherwise.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think these people are actually mentally disabled. Like, in the clinical sense. No one could be this stupid and arrogant otherwise.

Nah. They're conservative, far right and mostly white. Consequences are for other people is probably something they've dealt with their whole lives.

White privilege is a helluva drug

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Nah. They're conservative, far right and mostly white. Consequences are for other people is probably something they've dealt with their whole lives.

Yes. Absolutely. These are insulated, naïve people who have basically been coddled their entire lives while believing they're somehow oppressed.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

I can't believe that it's just a white conservative thing. I know plenty of white conservatives who wouldn't upload videos of themselves committing crimes to YouTube at the request of the FBI. This guy in particular has to have some kind of brain damage. Maybe he was huffing paint thinner or something.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    LYONS stated that he "100% guaranteed, without incriminating himself" that he saw nothing being damaged. He further stated that in a dream he had, he saw a lot of banging on doors, paper being thrown about, and a mob of people. Acording to LYONS, in the dream, people didn't really have much choice of where they were going because of the mob. LYONS advised that if he were inside, he was inside for approximately 45 minutes

fucking

what

He has the right to remain silent. What he lacks is the ability.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Yes. Absolutely. These are insulated, naïve people who have basically been coddled their entire lives while believing they're somehow oppressed.

Aka, the King and Queens of ,"Projection".

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Nova_C wrote: »

Exactly. It's like a self inflicted, mass hysteria has descended upon them. It scares the shit out of me because I figured in this day and age with how easy information is to find, things like the satanic panic couldn't really happen anymore. But all these bored, schlubby white people are convinced that it's actually them the world has done dirty, when that couldn't be further from the truth. We know conservative media has done incredible damage to cause this, but I'm so confused what drives these people here in the first place. Ultimately I always come back to the only reasonable answer being straight up racism.

Dark_Side on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I mean, they're a real threat, but I can't help but feel like this is a Jerry Lewis character tried to stage a revolt.

"OH! Thank you Mister Nice FBI Lady. I was there with the riots and the sedition and the podium. Yes, oh, the picture with the house and the Pelosi and office and the incriminating myself and OH NO."

VuIBhrs.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean sure there are some white people who wouldn't do this stuff and be this stupid, but there are some who literally say "they are supposed to shoot black people not whites!" And they aren't even wrong! Its just that this time they went far enough they actually are facing consequences.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.