As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2021: Coup Harder

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i have zero interest in the idea time will help take care of fascism

fascism is resurgent largely because the generation that took care of it last time is mostly gone now and the rest of us got complacent in its absence

fight it tooth and nail until it is buried and gone and then never let it take root again

I'd say fascism is the natural evolution of unchecked late stage capitalism myself.

That's funny, fascism as we understand it has been happening since before capitalism.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    We're at over 100 year of fascism floating around now, so it doesn't go away by magic process of ageing. And the young people may be more progressive now but there's that theory about people getting more conservative as they age to deal with.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    re: changing political views over generations

It's also important to remember that in a ton of ways, the more progressive side of a lot of issues is winning. Consistently. For decades now. It's basically the source of a lot (I'd say most personally) of the gripping you see on the right where they talk about how they are victimized or more discriminated against or whatnot. No matter how much political power they've accrued over the years it doesn't feel like winning because they've continually lost most of the battles they really care about, which centre around social and cultural issues.

So while you or I may think "Shit, they control the SCOTUS now", they look at shit like how badly they've lost the fight on gay marriage and can't help but feel like they are constantly losing. In 2004, the GOP went 11 for 11 passing gay marriage bans at the state level. 15 years later no one really thinks the right-wing-controlled SCOTUS is gonna suddenly overturn Obergefell.

So yeah, people have been saying "the younger generation is more left-wing" for a long time. And there's lots of evidence of that floating around.

shryke on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    About all those pardons that were rumored to be coming down today?

Especially the ones absolving his kids and the insurrectionists?

Guess what? Those might not be happening after all.

Holy cow! CNN reporting Republican lawmakers asked Trump for pardons for their role in the insurrection. And at a Saturday night meeting with White House lawyers he was advised of the risks of pardoning Republicans and his children for his own legal exposure. Now he will not.

More details: More: "His final batch of pardons, due later Tuesday, is expected to contain few of the controversial or outlandish criminals that have characterized his earlier use of his clemency powers."

Tweeter is author/activist/known inside political circles.

I mean, mister I must save my own skin first and foremost being told that he should be really interested in saving his skin first and foremost shouldn't come as a surprise but here we are.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

fascism is resurgent largely because the generation that took care of it last time is mostly gone now and the rest of us got complacent in its absence

fight it tooth and nail until it is buried and gone and then never let it take root again

I'd say fascism is the natural evolution of unchecked late stage capitalism myself.

Given when fascism first emerged, that would require a different definition of "late stage capitalism" then I've ever seen.

Why? The 1920's was like... the poster child for laissez-faire capitalism and inequality.

Late stage capitalism does not refer to a time scale it refers to the point at which it becomes reasonable to say that someone or someones have "won" capitalism.

The 1920s is like the end of the progressive era, not the height of laissez-faire capitalism. Plus that's not really the definition of late-stage capitalism anyway. Or not one I've ever seen, as I said.

Like, people also throw around shit like "the new Gilded Age". Which, sure. But the Gilded Age was over before the 1920s.

shryke on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    We're at over 100 year of fascism floating around now, so it doesn't go away by magic process of ageing. And the young people may be more progressive now but there's that theory about people getting more conservative as they age to deal with.

That's mostly explained by people who are more conservative (rich, white) having longer life expectancy than those demographics who are generally more liberal (poor, minority) who stop having a voice in elections because they're dead.

Also, remember, the demographic composition of age cohorts are drastically different across generations. The youth are more Progressive in no small part because they are less white. Not because substantial numbers of white kids have gotten better on various issues than their parents. There are just fewer white kids, proportionately, to be racist.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    People have been saying that kind of thing since the 60s; it was super popular rhetoric among boomers as they started to become politically active

It’s largely BS; there are conservative/reactionary people in every generation, and it also does seem like people trend that way as they age.

This is interesting, I'd like to see party affiliation for young people across the decades.

there has been a steady realignment since Eisenhower as northern Republicans became Democrats and southern Democrats became Republicans (and smaller groups realigned as well), so really party affiliation from even two decades ago may not actually tell you much

You'd probably have to use one of the rating systems for how liberal the elected officials are and ignore party affiliation, but also the polling data is probably much thinner from then so it's probably not possible.

DW-Nominate is what I was thinking of but couldn't remember then.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Delzhand wrote: »
    So there are two footballs and two biscuits, but Trump's biscuit expires at noon tomorrow. I still really don't like the idea of a football in the hands of a vindictive ex-president.

If the football contained a big red button he could push without having to justify himself to anyone we would have run out of nukes in 2018 and Trump would still be waiting for his diet coke.

There's enough things that have to happen to have stopped Nixon (known) and Reagan (rumored) and was why a lot of people who knew just how strung out Kennedy got on all his medicines could still sleep at night, his finger was not literally on the button but on a memo asking the location of the keys to the box containing the button. There's enough history behind the nuclear taboo that at this point outside of a mutually assured destruction use 'em or lose 'em scenario I'm not sure a president could launch a nuke even for a non-stupid reason.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So while you or I may think "Shit, they control the SCOTUS now", they look at shit like how badly they've lost the fight on gay marriage and feel like they aren't constantly losing. In 2004, the GOP went 11 for 11 passing gay marriage bans at the state level. 15 years later no one really thinks the right-wing-controlled SCOTUS is gonna suddenly overturn Obergefell.

Outright? Probably not. Probably.
    Render it hollow and toothless, with loopholes and carveouts, while still technically in force? Entirely possible, IMO.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Holy cow! CNN reporting Republican lawmakers asked Trump for pardons for their role in the insurrection. And at a Saturday night meeting with White House lawyers he was advised of the risks of pardoning Republicans and his children for his own legal exposure. Now he will not.

More details: More: "His final batch of pardons, due later Tuesday, is expected to contain few of the controversial or outlandish criminals that have characterized his earlier use of his clemency powers."

I mean, mister I must save my own skin first and foremost being told that he should be really interested in saving his skin first and foremost shouldn't come as a surprise but here we are.

fingers crossed!

lot of time between now and then

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That's funny, fascism as we understand it has been happening since before capitalism.

It's can be caused by many things, late stage capitalism is one of them.

Because late stage capitalism will always lead to a huge wealth gap, which will lead to civil unrest. Civil unrest + an easy scapegoat + a charismatic leader is a great way to end up in a fascist state.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The past couple of pages reminds me of after Obama won 2012 and the GOP made an attempt at immigration reform, culminating with Eric Cantor getting primaried by the Tea Party. That event full stop killed any immigration support in the GOP going forward.

I’m thinking the GOP establishment wants to get rid of Trump, but they’re cowards and scared pissless that doing so will get them primaried by their base in 2022. If anyone in the House or Senate that voted against Trump ends up primaried, I expect Trumpism to be fully embraced by the GOP for at least the next decade.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is probably harder to find when there wasn't civil unrest in societies than when there was

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Breaking NYT: Officials with Dominion Voting Systems have sent Mike Lindell, the CEO of MyPillow, a legal letter warning of pending litigation over his baseless claims of widespread fraud involving their machines.

MyPillow dude is about to have his day in court.

And Mike, being one of the dumber people to have been told by Dominion to come get the smoke if they want it, is apparently ready to get smashed in court, unlike pretty much everyone else that Dominion told to hush.

I wouldn't mind seeing him ruined.

What's the betting pool for when he starts a gofundme for his legal fees?

Oh god you reminded me of Private plane realtor. I did send an email to Fundly yesterday to report it but it's still up so maybe they don't care or maybe they don't work on weekends. Anyway she added some comments to her fundly because people are posting comments on her wall about about her being a rich, selfish crook (most of which she has deleted). She writes:
    JENNA TOOK OFF WORK TO SUPPORT PRESIDENT TRUMP.

JENNA MARCHED TO THE CAPITOL AS A PATRIOT.

JENNA IS NOT RICH AND DOES NOT OWN A PRIVATE PLANE.

JENNA IS NOT RACIST OR SPOILED. SHE IS A HARD WORKING WOMAN WHO LOVES THE USA.

JENNA STAYED AT THE WESTIN CENTRAL DC.

JENNA HAD A HEART ATTACK AND CANNOT BREATHE WITH A MASK ON.

I'm happy to report that Fundly removed her campaign. Though you can still see it on their "Politics and Public Office" section, if you try to click through it doesn't go anywhere.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    So while you or I may think "Shit, they control the SCOTUS now", they look at shit like how badly they've lost the fight on gay marriage and feel like they aren't constantly losing. In 2004, the GOP went 11 for 11 passing gay marriage bans at the state level. 15 years later no one really thinks the right-wing-controlled SCOTUS is gonna suddenly overturn Obergefell.

Outright? Probably not. Probably.
    Render it hollow and toothless, with loopholes and carveouts, while still technically in force? Entirely possible, IMO.

I'd say that's also very unlikely. At most I'd expect a continuation of their current "freedom of speech/religion/association/whatever means freedom to discriminate by private businesses" thing.

But even that is a very huge and obvious loss compared to what they were doing less then two decades ago.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Gee, Donnie, maybe you shouldn't have sent a mob to lynch the one person you could have asked to take over the gig and issue you a pardon to cover your part in all those potential pardons.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So some additional good news. Amanda Chase, who is a piece of shit that took party in the insurrection and somehow is a Virginia state senator has had her one and only committee assignment stripped. The vote was 37-1, with one abstain. Apparently, they'll have another vote today to censure and she'll probably eat a censure. Wish they'd just expel her from the Senate. That said, given how batshit the VA GOP is these days, that does leave some hope that the fuckers in the US Congress may indeed get hit with some real penalties, at least Ted Cruz probably will, want to say disdain levels from him are probably on par with or greater than disdain levels for Amanda Chase.

https://bluevirginia.us/2021/01/virginia-senate-votes-37-1-to-strip-sen-amanda-chase-who-spoke-at-the-1-6-pro-trump-rally-in-d-c-of-her-last-committee-assignment

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, the end of the Belle Époque in Europe is comparable to our own era in lots of ways: a superficially successful economic regime that rewarded the wealthy but was becoming increasingly untenable for most people (even in the petite bourgeoisie).

It produced social alienation and similar tendencies toward aesthetic, schotastic violence to the ones we see today (European heads of state were getting assassinated at an astonishing rate in the pre-WW1 years.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

fingers crossed!

lot of time between now and then

20 hours 26 minutes..

• Options

Because late stage capitalism will always lead to a huge wealth gap, which will lead to civil unrest. Civil unrest + an easy scapegoat + a charismatic leader is a great way to end up in a fascist state.

That assumes the wealth gap is what's causing our current issues. I'm not seeing how that's really accurate given what we know. Economic anxiety is just not a well supported argument for why voters back people like Trump. Most studies of the 2016 election showed it was actually correlated with various kinds of cultural and social grievances.

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Gee, Donnie, maybe you shouldn't have sent a mob to lynch the one person you could have asked to take over the gig and issue you a pardon to cover your part in all those potential pardons.

I doubt he's ever felt he could trust Pence to do something like that, and especially after his "betrayal" in not fixing the election for him. Remember, Pence has never been one of "his"; the Party picked the guy, and made Trump put him on the ticket.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'll believe he won't pardon himself until 12:01 rolls around tomorrow. All it's gonna take is Rudy rolling around tonight with the suggestion and he'll be back on it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

That's mostly explained by people who are more conservative (rich, white) having longer life expectancy than those demographics who are generally more liberal (poor, minority) who stop having a voice in elections because they're dead.

Also, remember, the demographic composition of age cohorts are drastically different across generations. The youth are more Progressive in no small part because they are less white. Not because substantial numbers of white kids have gotten better on various issues than their parents. There are just fewer white kids, proportionately, to be racist.

I'd have to see some numbers to buy that last line. Anecdotally, virtually everyone I went to high school with was decidedly less conservative than their parents. In my own family, only one of 5 kids has stayed Republican; all of the rest are very strongly liberal.

It's pretty damn hard to continue supporting GOP points once you live long enough to see them literally destroying the future for anybody but the wealthy.

I just don't buy at all that younger white generations aren't flipping politically in significant numbers. I mean, there are reasons that Boomers are struggling to understand why their kids and grandkids "abandoned" them on a wide scale, and from personal experience it has largely to do with younger generations being appalled at the "fuck you, got mine" Boomer mindset while watching their policies devour your chances of a decent life.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

That assumes the wealth gap is what's causing our current issues. I'm not seeing how that's really accurate given what we know. Economic anxiety is just not a well supported argument for why voters back people like Trump. Most studies of the 2016 election showed it was actually correlated with various kinds of cultural and social grievances.
    Angry racists, mad about people of color being in charge and making decisions.

There's also some classism and a few other things.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

But that would have required him to stop being a whiny piss baby for two seconds and was therefore impossible.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The past couple of pages reminds me of after Obama won 2012 and the GOP made an attempt at immigration reform, culminating with Eric Cantor getting primaried by the Tea Party. That event full stop killed any immigration support in the GOP going forward.

I’m thinking the GOP establishment wants to get rid of Trump, but they’re cowards and scared pissless that doing so will get them primaried by their base in 2022. If anyone in the House or Senate that voted against Trump ends up primaried, I expect Trumpism to be fully embraced by the GOP for at least the next decade.

The Tea Party wave was the base (and thus the people who influence and grift them) demonstrating that they ran the show, not the establishment. The structure of the GOP was the establishment leveraging grievance politics to win power so they should ram through a catastrophically unpopular pro-rich-donor tax cut and deregulation agenda. But suddenly (not actually suddenly) they could no longer keep the base in line and were getting their asses primaried for stepping out of line. And they've been running scared every since, right up to and including Trump.

Shit, look at the recent bullshit with the coup and continued support for not certifying the election. They either believe the bullshit themselves or have to pretend to because otherwise the voters who believe the bullshit will primary and replace them and/or murder them.

shryke on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i would bet Trump's pardon list this time is going to be a lot more an attempt to rehabilitate his (and by extension, the Party's) image than to own the libs

i doubt he will have had much input on it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

It's not.

A new arrest today — a woman with a bullhorn at the Capitol turns out to be a business owner in Beverly Hills, CA who confirmed her attendance by tweet, posted video of herself, and gave a 2h interview about her participation to the Beverly Hills Courier. https://t.co/C7bii5N0kn?amp=1
    Two other residents of Beverly Hills (according to CBS LA) were also arrested today for unlawful entry into the Capitol; the couple, delightfully named GOLD and STRAND, gave an interview and an photograph to the Washington Post.
    Trumpism is not an economic movement and it never has been

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Given when fascism first emerged, that would require a different definition of "late stage capitalism" then I've ever seen.

Why? The 1920's was like... the poster child for laissez-faire capitalism and inequality.

Late stage capitalism does not refer to a time scale it refers to the point at which it becomes reasonable to say that someone or someones have "won" capitalism.

The 1920s is like the end of the progressive era, not the height of laissez-faire capitalism. Plus that's not really the definition of late-stage capitalism anyway. Or not one I've ever seen, as I said.

Like, people also throw around shit like "the new Gilded Age". Which, sure. But the Gilded Age was over before the 1920s.

The 1920's was the tail end of the progressive age but not the end of a progressive era. The progressive age was a time of people pushing for social reforms, but not a time of socialist policies being implemented in order to modernize states towards the post war consensus. There was a great push towards socialism but there was no success in it. It was not until fascism won in Germany (and rose elsewhere) that socialist programs took hold. Suffrage movements do not imply that capitalism somehow stopped operating after 1900.

Its like saying that what we're seeing right now isn't late stage capitalism because the real late stage capitalism push started in the 1980's and ended at the dot com bust(or the S&L crisis)! And after that it was just the age of gender and racial equality... And while those things were important aspects of the post dot com bust era they do not imply that capitalism suddenly stopped and got better in 2001.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

And that maga hats, especially the ones who did stuff like storm the Capitol strapped with hundreds of dollars of tacticool gear, are actually fairly well off

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i do believe economic anxiety is related to Trumpism in an indirect way for many Trump voters, it just does not explain the entire phenomenon

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    i do believe economic anxiety is related to Trumpism in an indirect way for many Trump voters, it just does not explain the entire phenomenon

They have economic anxiety, they are just incorrect about the things that cause it/would alleviate it (it doesn't have much to do with brown folks stealing their jobs).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The reality is most people couldn't take off a work day in the middle of january fly across the country in thousands of dollars of tactifool gear and assault the capitol. Like that should put a bullet in the idea that economics played into the insurrection beyond "we don't want to give up more of our money" but doesn't stop fucking morons like Bill Mahr from still trotting it out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Well, not in the manner they claim.

The continuous revenue, both "legitimate" fundraising, and blatant graft, indicate it was an economic movement.

Moving the economy from the rubes, into their pockets.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

It's not.

A new arrest today — a woman with a bullhorn at the Capitol turns out to be a business owner in Beverly Hills, CA who confirmed her attendance by tweet, posted video of herself, and gave a 2h interview about her participation to the Beverly Hills Courier. https://t.co/C7bii5N0kn?amp=1
    Two other residents of Beverly Hills (according to CBS LA) were also arrested today for unlawful entry into the Capitol; the couple, delightfully named GOLD and STRAND, gave an interview and an photograph to the Washington Post.
    Two business owners (so, not working class folks) at the coup afraid the socialist president elect has stolen the election and will take away their power and money sounds like an economic motivation to me.

No I don't.
  • Options
    The funny thing is that I think it is a kind of economic anxiety. Just not the kind where you're worried about eating. It's the kind of "economic anxiety" where you're mad when you think someone "undeserving" is getting something. Where people don't "know their place." It mostly applies to non-whites achieving things or protesting against anything, but it can also apply to women, LGBTQ+, and young people.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    The reality is most people couldn't take off a work day in the middle of january fly across the country in thousands of dollars of tactifool gear and assault the capitol. Like that should put a bullet in the idea that economics played into the insurrection beyond "we don't want to give up more of our money" but doesn't stop fucking morons like Bill Mahr from still trotting it out.

to be fair how many rural voters with little or no education or access to well-paying jobs are voting Democrat?

the problem is wanting a nice little one issue package to stuff Trumpism into (it's racism) and it isn't ever really that simple (it is, it's racism) and there are different coalitions of voters that support Trump (united by their racism)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Yes but many more can call in sick and drive to their state capitol in mere hundreds of dollars worth of Wal Mart tier tacticool toys*. The US Capitol was just one of the things that's happened throughout all of this, and wasn't even the only capitol building breached in the past year by Trumpists.

*-when Trumpists broke into Michigan's Capitol back in season 3 one of the things used to make fun of them online was how cheap and poorly matched their cosplay toys were.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I think someone hit on it some pages back: "the brown people are gaining on us, soon they'll have as much as we do, or even more, and that's just Not Acceptable!"

Not actually at risk of losing anything but their precious privilege and sense of superiority. But that's everything.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

to be fair how many rural voters with little or no education or access to well-paying jobs are voting Democrat?

the problem is wanting a nice little one issue package to stuff Trumpism into (it's racism) and it isn't ever really that simple (it is, it's racism) and there are different coalitions of voters that support Trump (united by their racism)

Those people support Trump because of his racism, but that's still a jump from the well off idiots who actually assaulted the capitol. Or like tried to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer. There is a subset of Trumpism that is well off gentry that literally don't have an issue with money but rabidly support Trump because they want to enforce white supremacy, and they benefit from the bs argument that its economic anxiety.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.