As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PODCASTS] the backlog is real

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i dunno if it beats out Hades, but one of my favourite games of 2020 was probably G String

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    GOTY lists for the day are out:
    Jeff Bakalar's Top 10 IPs That Should Immediately be Pinball Machines (An incredible list, he's absolutely right about his #1 pick)
    THE COMMISSIONER OF BLASEBALL Parker MacMillan IIIII's Top 10 Games(?) of 2020 (oh hell yeah)
    Mike Mahardy's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Mary Kish's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Bruno Dias' Top 10 Games of 2020 (Narrative writer/designer at Failbetter Games, 5 honorable mentions and 5 he genuinely loved)
    Erica Lahaie's Top 10 Games of 2020 (AKA Aurahack)
    Lena Raine's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Leon Chang's Top 5 Games of 2020 (stream Return to Bird World)
    Rich Gallup's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Felix Kramer's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Mega Ran's Year in Games 2020 (This one's a music video by Ran and K-Murdock)

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Bakalar's list
    Dan Ryckert mode: just hold the ball with a flipper and do nothing for an instant jackpot

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    How has there not actually been a Beetlejuice pinball machine.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    pjgn1b8r4412.jpeg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I don't think I even played 10 games in 2020 I'd want to include on a top 10 list, unless I also include 2019 games I didn't play until 2020.

I did do a goty adjacent thing where I ranked pretty much every game I've ever played.

For fun, here's the distribution of release years of my top 50:
    fJEDyfN.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    fyi: if you only subscribe to the Bombcast through the Premium feed they never uploaded yesterday's GOTY stuff to it, you have to go to the regular feed to get it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    best music is surprisingly contentious

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    best music is surprisingly contentious

this is how best music always is, because jeff really hates orchestral music, but brad loves it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    is it the same thing it is every single year, which is listening to isolated tracks out of context and the people that didn't play the games go "ok" while the person that's really into the game sits there awkwardly

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    There Is No Game had a really really good original song

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That kid is clearly a future social media influencer. She's already hitting that hashtag.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    brad likes it when the piano is sad

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    best music is approaching best world in terms of absolute nightmare category.

this sucks so fuckin' bad lol.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Only dog I got in this fight is that the animal crossing 5AM track is 2020’s best game track

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Re: the thread title - am I the only person who hasn't had the heart to listen to anything from November onwards yet?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I couldn't get into Fantasy High but Unsleeping City slaps.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    There Is No Game had a really really good original song

Yeah!

Honestly if I bothered doing a GOTY list that game would be high up there.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    there is a lot to unpack in this potato-centric Taco Bell munch squad

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Best Game Feel:
    I am super surprised at Jeff being the voice that gets Tony Hawk eliminated.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Best Game Feel:
    I am super surprised at Jeff being the voice that gets Tony Hawk eliminated.
    It was really something to see Alex (and Jeff) spend a solid hour defending Astro, only then for Alex to realize nobody actually has Tony Hawk's back and it gets cut to little opposition.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think the grousing I’ve seen about the Music category was a little unfounded, I actually ended up feeling like that was a really nice and evenhanded look at a year of really wide variety of great music

I got knotted up waiting for Kentucky Route Zero to be the one to get short-shrift but that one especially got a fair amount of respect for something nobody but Alex gives a shit about

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I love the frustration in A More Civilized Age, this is the first analysis of the prequels that really explain how I feel about how much potential is there, and that you might still be able to get 3 good movies out of it if you had access to the dalies and or deleted scenes.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Rami Ismail's Top 10 list is, once again, a great read. I dig how thoughtfully he explores what he picked and why.

I love a list that I don't "agree" with, in that it does not match mine, but that is so well-explained that I can go, "Oh, totally, I see what you mean."

Edit: Like, I love how something bugged him about how impossibly smooth Hades felt, about how it's lack of jank/flaws kept him at a distance. That's a really interesting sentiment!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I got a little bit frustrated when they decided to keep literally everything on the list on their first pass, but that's a minor thing where I was just going "Well this isn't working at all"

Overall it was fine to listen to

Also I still think dubstep is fun to listen to

• Options
    what's a worst artefact of a musical fad

dubstep, or jungle music

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    what's a worst artefact of a musical fad

dubstep, or jungle music

I still like dubstep so the latter

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    really

you don't hear a drum-and-base loop just fucked five ways to hell with the amen break and think "aww yeah this is my JAM"

kids these days, no respect for culture

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
  • Options
    Really it's a testament to how the devs fucking got comedic timing down to pat with that game

iirc that line always cuts at that exact moment, which means it has to trigger at the perfect time when an object is launched at a dude's head

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    Vinny’s laugh in that clip is so gd funny. Hitman was such a gift for gb content.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Vinny losing his shit is one of my favorite things.

https://youtu.be/k8jNkAAM9gU

• Options
    I don't listen to Giant Bomb because I don't have 12 free hours a week, but I always like reading their guest Top 10 lists. They get a great cross-section of different perspectives, I dig it.

It's really interesting this year how Hades is just... Sweeping. It's a consensus pick for game of the year, and nothing else is coming close to touching it. I can't really recall another game that so dominated its release year.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't listen to Giant Bomb because I don't have 12 free hours a week, but I always like reading their guest Top 10 lists. They get a great cross-section of different perspectives, I dig it.

It's really interesting this year how Hades is just... Sweeping. It's a consensus pick for game of the year, and nothing else is coming close to touching it. I can't really recall another game that so dominated its release year.

I think its because it hits so many different areas

Its got fun combat, great art, good character writing, relationship stuff, and it doesn't feel like it punishes you for dying the way some roguelikes do

Everyone has specific things they want in a game and I feel like it hits so many of them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    jan and vinny are explaining the plot of 13 sentinels everyone else

f4lk26kemrj9.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I love jeffs dumb glasses

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.