As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows doesn't recognize my [Game Controllers & Other Input Peripherals] thread

ElaroElaro ApologeticRegistered User regular
Game controllers! Perfected by Nintendo in the early 2000s, they have been a steady companion for our gaming sessions since time immemorial. Did you know that you can use your Nintendo Switch Pro Controller on the PC?

At least that's what I thought. This evening, however, as I was settling down to play Hades on Steam, I tried to play it with aforementioned controller. To no avail! Windows wouldn't even react to me plugging it in again!

Now I was using an XB1 controller, until my father asked for my micro-usb cable, and I don't have Bluetooth on my gaming PC. So what should I do, to get my sweet sweet Switch Pro Controller working with Steam?

Also, discuss your game controller adventures here, I guess.

EDIT: Apparently we don't have a mouse/keyboard/other input peripherals thread? Well, time to refactor this one, then.

Children's rights are human rights.
Elaro on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Game controllers! Perfected by Nintendo in the early 2000s, they have been a steady companion for our gaming sessions since time immemorial. Did you know that you can use your Nintendo Switch Pro Controller on the PC?

At least that's what I thought. This evening, however, as I was settling down to play Hades on Steam, I tried to play it with aforementioned controller. To no avail! Windows wouldn't even react to me plugging it in again!

Now I was using an XB1 controller, until my father asked for my micro-usb cable, and I don't have Bluetooth on my gaming PC. So what should I do, to get my sweet sweet Switch Pro Controller working with Steam?

1) You could buy an Xbox Wireless Adapter ($20-$30US), but that is probably an unnecessary expense unless you plan to use that Xbox One (or any future Xbox controllers) with your PC frequently, or use more than one at once, both of which the wireless adapter can handle.

2) You could obviously buy another Micro-USB cable (I'm genuinely surprised if you don't have any other ones lying around, though maybe they're of the non-data variety). Or a USB Blutooth adapter--these are actually kind of bad for lag and response time especially compared to option one but for a lot of people tiny $6 USB dongle is good enough.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

1) You could buy an Xbox Wireless Adapter ($20-$30US), but that is probably an unnecessary expense unless you plan to use that Xbox One (or any future Xbox controllers) with your PC frequently, or use more than one at once, both of which the wireless adapter can handle.

2) You could obviously buy another Micro-USB cable (I'm genuinely surprised if you don't have any other ones lying around, though maybe they're of the non-data variety). Or a USB Blutooth adapter--these are actually kind of bad for lag and response time especially compared to option one but for a lot of people tiny $6 USB dongle is good enough.

Good luck finding one. A ton of the ones on Amazon are actually bluetooth adapters with crappy shells over them to make them look like the Xbox adapter.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Good luck finding one. A ton of the ones on Amazon are actually bluetooth adapters with crappy shells over them to make them look like the Xbox adapter.

Best Buy. Seriously, buy it from Best Buy. They seem to be the last retailer consistently selling the real deal.

I just bought another one a couple weeks ago.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited January 2021
    syndalis wrote: »

Best Buy. Seriously, buy it from Best Buy. They seem to be the last retailer consistently selling the real deal.

Target also sells them bundled with a controller (which is probably more than you actually need).

The second result on Amazon is a third-party model which, if the reviews are any indication, actually works--it's just a clone of the original Xbox Wireless RF device. They're actually not that hard to find, you just need to know what you're looking for.

Synthesis on

Only available with a controller now. If I could get one there I would.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I'm able to plug in my Pro Controller and Steam recognize it. One piece of software I did buy to help out with this is reWASD. It also allows me to remap everything non-Steam (Xbox, Epic, etc) without having to deal with the AB/XY swapping. You can even remap a keyboard to a controller for those older games that don't support controllers.

e: I've been using this software for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it.

urahonky on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows-10-black/6253924.p?skuId=6253924

Just keep an eye on this page, stock comes and goes.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm able to plug in my Pro Controller and Steam recognize it. One piece of software I did buy to help out with this is reWASD. It also allows me to remap everything non-Steam (Xbox, Epic, etc) without having to deal with the AB/XY swapping. You can even remap a keyboard to a controller for those older games that don't support controllers.

e: I've been using this software for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it.

Did you update your Switch controller through the Switch menu recently (last 2 months or so)? Because I suspect that Nintendo made it impossible to use the Switch Pro Controller on a PC very recently, but I'm not sure.

ETA: Also, I got some micro-usb cables. Hades can be played again!

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I believe that one of the recent fixes from reWASD mentioned fixing it. I haven't updated my controllers yet though.

Edit: reWASD has a 14 day trial to see if it works for you. Can't hurt.

urahonky on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I did the exact opposite. I dislike the Switch Pro controller. In fact, I dislike pretty much all modern controllers, but I've found the Dualshock4 to be the least bad.

I bought one of the 8bitDo Bluetooth adapters for switch, and I play my Switch games with a DS4.

ak2gpduqofys.png

I also bought the 8bitDo Saturn controller conversion kit, which turns the best controller of all time into a Bluetooth device.

7byt0wi78jab.png

The only thing that stops the Sega Saturn controller from being the perfect controller is the lack of analog sticks.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    None of that is meant to diminish the OP's problem, I'm just assuming this is also going to be a general controllers thread

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I did the exact opposite. I dislike the Switch Pro controller. In fact, I dislike pretty much all modern controllers, but I've found the Dualshock4 to be the least bad.

I bought one of the 8bitDo Bluetooth adapters for switch, and I play my Switch games with a DS4.

ak2gpduqofys.png

I also bought the 8bitDo Saturn controller conversion kit, which turns the best controller of all time into a Bluetooth device.

7byt0wi78jab.png

The only thing that stops the Sega Saturn controller from being the perfect controller is the lack of analog sticks.

That's a pretty big gap in its features, though. It makes it only potentially the perfect controller for, like, fighters and side-scrollers.

Since hearing Woolie from SBFP/Castle Superbeast talk about his custom DS4s he got from Battle Beaver Customs, I've thought that when I have money to throw at nonsense I'll look into buying one. Go all out with a better dpad and face buttons, and the triggers and bumpers set up to be really quick-pressing buttons. Maybe add some back buttons too, so I don't have to do the claw to run and control the camera at the same time in Soulslikes.

Kamar wrote: »
    That's a pretty big gap in its features, though. It makes it only potentially the perfect controller for, like, fighters and side-scrollers.

I fall back to a DS4 when I need analog sticks.

Honestly, the games in which I need precise dpad inputs (like fighters and sidescrollers) are almost never games where I need analog sticks. It's a venn diagram that's pretty much two nonoverlapping circles.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    DS4 isn't the best d-pad either as I am regrettably learning. I too would prefer a decent all-in-one but lack it. Heard some good thing about the Series d-pads though, if you don't mind some click.

BTW DS4 will pair with any bluetooth receiver. Its just that for most games you need Steam or another program to make it emulate an Xbox controller.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I've been using the Xbox One and Dual Sense controllers.

Not sure why but they both temporarily lose connection which makes the DS break somehow.

Can't help but wonder if it's a Bluetooth issue.

Magus` wrote: »
    I've been using the Xbox One and Dual Sense controllers.

Not sure why but they both temporarily lose connection which makes the DS break somehow.

Can't help but wonder if it's a Bluetooth issue.

If you're using them both on BT, I would guess that. One BT device causing another one to disconnect has been a potential, if not common, issue with BT peripherals since they were introduced.

Nah, not at the same time.

Does the same happen if you only use one via USB and another via BT.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows-10-black/6253924.p?skuId=6253924

Just keep an eye on this page, stock comes and goes.

Thanks for bumping this thread Magus, reminded me to check and these are in stock. Just ordered two of them.

Does the same happen if you only use one via USB and another via BT.

I haven't tried to use them at the same time. But I'll keep the wired and wireless thing at the same time in mind.

I only got one of my adapters. The other box that came was a new Xbox controller.

Oops.

• useruser Registered User regular
    Were you getting 2 because you needed that wireless connectivity on two different machines?

Cause one dongle can connect 4 controllers, p sure.

user wrote: »
    Were you getting 2 because you needed that wireless connectivity on two different machines?

Cause one dongle can connect 4 controllers, p sure.

Yeah, one for my computer and one for the wife's. I just ordered another one, hopefully I get it this time.

But if the order picker wants to send me an elite instead, I mean..

I hope there are official Windows PS5 controller drivers.

I read Linux got some, so.

At least Steam works!

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    If anyone else is still trucking along with a Steam Controller, check out GloSC. It makes it play nicely with UWP games like Forza Horizon 4.
    I hope there are official Windows PS5 controller drivers.

I read Linux got some, so.

At least Steam works!

The best thing about Steam's controller support is that it can extend to practically anything if you setup a desktop profile.
    Settings > Controller > DESKTOP CONFIGURATION > BROWSE CONFIGS > Templates > Gamepad > APPLY CONFIGURATION > DONE.

The PS4 controller will now be detected as a standard Xbox controller in any non-Steam game as long as Steam is running.

Frem wrote: »
    If anyone else is still trucking along with a Steam Controller, check out GloSC. It makes it play nicely with UWP games like Forza Horizon 4.
    Tool for using the SteamController as systemwide XInput controller alongside a global overlay

ooooh now that's sexy

Ah, the Steam Controller. Truly the Windows Phone of game peripherals.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Does 1 or 2 nonessential things better than anything else, but that's about it?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    And a bunch of essential things significantly worse in compromise, yes.
    Actually that comparison might not be fair to the windows phone.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    GloSC also works for DS4s. I had to use it to get...something? working with mine, after DS4Windows and Steam Overlay failed me.

So, while I still prefer the Playstation analog stick layout and the way they don't, uh, try to take a layer of skin off my thumb, I find myself using the Series X controller I bought more often because the sticks are significantly more accurate and the bumpers are nice.

Still annoying when I play something that expects me to use the d-pad frequently while also using the left analog, because left-hand claw feels way worse with that layout than on a DS4 (swapping characters in Genshin, using shortcuts/items in Souls or Nioh).

The fact that I never have to rely on DS4Windows ever again is also nice.

In Microsoft's "defense", they also never claimed Windows Phone (or Windows Mobile before or after it) were going to "change phone-calls forever."

Unlike Gabe Newell and the Steam Machines. :D

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    To this day I miss the WinPhone autocorrect.

I miss absolutely nothing else about it since everyone already cribbed the design language, but that autocorrect was fucking amazing.

I can't think of a single thing I'm missing from the Steam Controller, having tried to use it once

• breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    oh, this might be the place for this question. anybody have recommendations for PC controllers with quiet buttons?
    I got an xbox 2nd party controller, but it's driving my wife crazy when I play Hades with all the loud button clicks.

It's fantastic for playing KBAM games on a couch.

Feral wrote: »

It's fantastic for playing KBAM games on a couch.

Definitely did not feel that way. Even compared to my crummy Logitech media keyboard with its big trackpad.

My Dualsense no longer works on the PC.

When I power it on, Windows asks if I want to add a wireless controller. If I say yes OR no, the controller turns off.

Repeat forever. Very annoying.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    oh, the Steam controller. That thing was... a thing.

Though actually, I did find it quite good for turn based games on PC like Civ and xcom. I played a lot of those two games on a secondary screen that had a steam link attached to it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Will a 360 controller work with WinXP in vmware? I got a wireless usb thing I can hook up.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Will a 360 controller work with WinXP in vmware? I got a wireless usb thing I can hook up.

I got it to work. With a modded driver.