As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WandaVision] Yakety Yak! Open Spoilers!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    So you know how each of these commercials are references to get traumas? (The stark bomb, being experimented on by strucker). I bet that the whole thing collapses when they get to the thanos one
    WandaVisison is brought to you by Quicksilver Silver Polish

Quicksilver mesh screens, for when you need to stop the outdoors... dead in its tracks.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I am hoping for a half off at Thanos funeral services or something similar.

Gnizmo on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    This might be a stupid question, but if Wanda was in control, wouldn't she also bring her brother back?

I can think of a lot of reasons for that. Biggest is that Wanda and Vision only seem to be aware of themselves inside the setting; they have no memory of how, when, or where they met, or how they even really got there. So they know their powers, know they aren't normal people, know they should be together, but don't know really anything beyond that. This only seems to crack in moments of stress when Wanda changes the "show", like she's trying to avoid reality. So her brother isn't there because show-Wanda just doesn't know she had a brother, and subconscious-Wanda doesn't want to think about him being dead.

Wanda also doesn't seem particularly aware that she controls the show. When she has Vision save his boss the first time, she's wierded out. When she rewinds from the beekeeper she again seems disturbed because she knows something odd happened, but she doesn't actually seem to know what she just did (like the rewind erased her memory of the rewind). And there's no telling what this place even is yet, so something like summoning a whole person, real or imagined, may be beyond what she can do there.

Someone pointed out before that their self-knowledge seems limited to exactly what was said about them in the intro song, and nothing more than that.

It seems like Wanda does have control through her powers, but also the world she's in is influencing her use of her powers. And there's quite a lot of lines scattered around about having children, for the children, etc.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This show is making me want to get Disney+.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This might be a stupid question, but if Wanda was in control, wouldn't she also bring her brother back?

I can think of a lot of reasons for that. Biggest is that Wanda and Vision only seem to be aware of themselves inside the setting; they have no memory of how, when, or where they met, or how they even really got there. So they know their powers, know they aren't normal people, know they should be together, but don't know really anything beyond that. This only seems to crack in moments of stress when Wanda changes the "show", like she's trying to avoid reality. So her brother isn't there because show-Wanda just doesn't know she had a brother, and subconscious-Wanda doesn't want to think about him being dead.

Wanda also doesn't seem particularly aware that she controls the show. When she has Vision save his boss the first time, she's wierded out. When she rewinds from the beekeeper she again seems disturbed because she knows something odd happened, but she doesn't actually seem to know what she just did (like the rewind erased her memory of the rewind). And there's no telling what this place even is yet, so something like summoning a whole person, real or imagined, may be beyond what she can do there.

I'm not entirely convinced it was Wanda that rewound time.

Could also see it being whatever group is controlling/manipulating the world going "Whoops! They weren't supposed to see Bob the Bee Dude!"

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Between Marvel and Star Wars, there's a solid lineup of content that could last a year or more. If you like those two properties, at least.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Between Marvel and Star Wars, there's a solid lineup of content that could last a year or more. If you like those two properties, at least.

I think I may drop HBO Max and get it. I already watched Doom Patrol and that was the only thing I cared about on it.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I wonder if we're gonna get a reverse Wonder Man situation as a result.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Plus the service is pretty cheap as far as streaming platforms go.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I wonder if we're gonna get a reverse Wonder Man situation as a result.

James Gunn has already shown interest in using Nathan Fillion as Wonder Man.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode and I'm just kinda like why? I had no interest in watching the 2nd. It's not even that I disliked old sitcoms because I fucking stayed up late when I was 8 to watch bewitched on Nick at night or whatever it was called.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Olson and Bettany are absolutely nailing the classic sitcom stars vibe in this. Everything about this show is very well thought out, and while I can see folks just not being into it, I'm very much loving what they're doing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I watched the first episode and I'm just kinda like why? I had no interest in watching the 2nd. It's not even that I disliked old sitcoms because I fucking stayed up late when I was 8 to watch bewitched on Nick at night or whatever it was called.

Episode 1 was just setting the stage, episode 2 the plot starts to show up I feel. I can understand it being too slow developing for people, and if you're not into it that's fine. Maybe when episode 3 comes out just give episodes 2 and 3 a try if you still have any interest at all in the show? I quite like the weird concept and the creepy stuff that starts happening in the second episode personally.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So weird and wild! I was laughing at times, and at other times I was racing trying to put together the significance of every little thing. Because with this kind of show, EVERY LITTLE THING means something.

I suspect it is a show people are going to rewatch multiple times to see how it contextualizes Phase 4 and the MCU in general.

I'm also really willing to bet the music is super important. Starting with Yakkity Yak in E1, and then Help Me Rhonda (switched to Help Me Wanda) in E2... Lots of symbolism there.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I don't even need anything past the WandaVision sitcom schtick. It's real good so far. I get that this is Marvel and we'll inevitably move on to saving the neighborhood from a villain or monster, but I hope they don't hurry.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Having classic Simpsons at one's fingertips has value too.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I can completely understand how episode one might put some people off.

It’s such a dedicated tribute to sitcoms of long ago that they just mail it perfectly. But if you watch an old sitcom now, they kinda suck because we’re used to such different pace and plot structure.

So far I love the show though.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Olson and Bettany are absolutely nailing the classic sitcom stars vibe in this. Everything about this show is very well thought out, and while I can see folks just not being into it, I'm very much loving what they're doing.

Can you imagine the actors' lives right now? Hired eightish years ago to star in an action movie about fighting an evil robot, and this is what that career choice turned into?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So people keep saying sitcom parody but I think that’s not the word I’d use.

having just finished episode 2, this is actually the thing I was coming in here to post. This is 100% not a parody, it's not having a laugh at the expense of the material but celebrating it.

For the sort of person who thinks old stuff is dumb and black and white is stupid and old special effects are lame, that means the show will be alienating. To which I say, good! I'm so glad to see a Marvel property taking a creative stand, drawing a line in the sand and going "we're doing this" instead of rushing around trying to please everyone. I've really liked or at least had a pleasant time with most of the MCU stuff but have never really been thrilled by how it abandoned one of the biggest advantages of the comics, which is that Marvel characters coexisting in a larger world doesn't have to stop their individual books from each having their own very distinct look, feel, and creative identity. Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange can be horror and Daredevil can be gritty noir and X-Men can be horny teenage soap opera and Fantastic Four can be 30s super-science pulp adventure and it's fine!

The original Iron Man had a tone that really fit the material: a kind of Tom Clancy techno-thriller vibe, a traditional Hollywood action movie that just happened to have a superhero as the star. That fits how the Iron Man comic has always felt and the kinds of villains Iron Man fights - corrupt executives, international terrorists, etc. But then every subsequent Marvel thing just did that, and suddenly it's a less great fit when you're doing Doctor Strange and it doesn't feel weird or spooky or supernatural at all.

And I'm sure these stylistic decisions were made and locked in to maximize each movie's potential audience and not risk turning anyone off or alienating anyone. I'm sure it's all very sound from a business point of view. But I'm glad that this show is just going "nah" and is committing to its bit. I feel like the freedom to experiment is one of the advantages of streaming TV and I'm glad that, at least for this one, they've seen that and are running with it.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The committement to that cheesy dialog and old special effects is fantastic. I would probably watch an entire season of just that.

Also, anyone else notice that the neighbor character is a little more... saucy than you'd expect from an era appropriate character? I bet there's something up with her.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Can you imagine the actors' lives right now? Hired eightish years ago to star in an action movie about fighting an evil robot, and this is what that career choice turned into?

Well, in Bettany's case, he was hired 13 years ago (well actually more) in order to play a robot, so.. either they had REALLY long term plans, or he just lucked into the role of a lifetime.

After all, the MCU kicked off with Stark, Coulson, Fury, and Jarvis.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Well, in Bettany's case, he was hired 13 years ago (well actually more) in order to play a robot, so.. either they had REALLY long term plans, or he just lucked into the role of a lifetime.

I wonder how much of Wandavision is them looking at who they had and fitting a project to their actors.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I'm loving this so far, but I also grew up on I Love Lucy reruns (it's my mom's favorite show, which is to say the only english speaking show she would ever actually pay attention to, and the only show we could truly watch together) so I may be biased.

However... 30 minute episodes released a week at a time? And like 5 of those minutes are the longest end credits in the world? Can we please go back to releasing all of a series at once or at least two episodes a week?

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I'm an old fucker who grew up in a house with black and white tv so I am enjoying the hell out of this so far.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Idk I kinda like having a new episode to look forward to each week. You can just wait until they're all out and binge then if you'd prefer.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm actually really glad we get to spend more time with these actors, in a way that's so different from what we've seen of them in the MCU. Bettany is having the time of his life, between his straight-man Vision schtick actually having levity to balance it and his zany side getting a chance to come out and play. And this is the first time I've actually thought Olsen could *act* - she seems so much more together and adult than she has in Avengers. I bet she's been getting tips from Johansson because her style has grown leaps and bounds.

As much as I cringe at some of the dumb sitcom stuff, it's still been a pleasure to watch this homage. I'm appreciating this slow burn and am really looking forward to the mystery unfolding as the show goes on - I don't feel like I have to know what's going on already to enjoy it!

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Yeah I loved this. It’s great when the let the MCU get *weird* given how bland a lot of their offerings can be

Some things I noticed:

Vision’s day job was making calculations for... something. Maybe part of the simulation is manipulating him into doing some kind of processing

Wanda seems tasked with keeping everything together and running. There seems to be danger or something bad if... whatever is going on falls apart. If the dinner goes off the rails, if the fundraiser show weirds people out - Wanda has to push herself to keep everything going, and that seems really important for some reason

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I love this. It's different, and an excellent homage to classic TV while using that as the backdrop to tell it's own story (We're only just starting to see the curtain pulled back. If you're not for a slow burn, I think this is the bail out signal folks)

Also, the changes between episodes are not random, it's 100% style choice, the difference between the 50s and 60s style sitcoms. The fact they know the subtle differences and nail them is just beautiful to me.

Also, bee guy is totally Swarm cause he's got bees swarming around him in a non-tommy gun configuration so that rules out him being The Pain.

Folks are definitely stuck in Wanda's coping mechanism, except for like, maybe Agnes (Agatha Harkness? I know nothing about the casting and that's how I likes it) but I'm interested in why it's SWORD and why they're seem interested in maintaining the illusion. Oh, oh, and Wanda getting pregnant means we might get Wiccan and Speed later on!

Wait....devil in the details....? Like, highly unlikely, but if I get MCU Master Pandemonium I might just plotz.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I liked the two episodes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

having just finished episode 2, this is actually the thing I was coming in here to post. This is 100% not a parody, it's not having a laugh at the expense of the material but celebrating it.

For the sort of person who thinks old stuff is dumb and black and white is stupid and old special effects are lame, that means the show will be alienating. To which I say, good! I'm so glad to see a Marvel property taking a creative stand, drawing a line in the sand and going "we're doing this" instead of rushing around trying to please everyone. I've really liked or at least had a pleasant time with most of the MCU stuff but have never really been thrilled by how it abandoned one of the biggest advantages of the comics, which is that Marvel characters coexisting in a larger world doesn't have to stop their individual books from each having their own very distinct look, feel, and creative identity. Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange can be horror and Daredevil can be gritty noir and X-Men can be horny teenage soap opera and Fantastic Four can be 30s super-science pulp adventure and it's fine!

The original Iron Man had a tone that really fit the material: a kind of Tom Clancy techno-thriller vibe, a traditional Hollywood action movie that just happened to have a superhero as the star. That fits how the Iron Man comic has always felt and the kinds of villains Iron Man fights - corrupt executives, international terrorists, etc. But then every subsequent Marvel thing just did that, and suddenly it's a less great fit when you're doing Doctor Strange and it doesn't feel weird or spooky or supernatural at all.

And I'm sure these stylistic decisions were made and locked in to maximize each movie's potential audience and not risk turning anyone off or alienating anyone. I'm sure it's all very sound from a business point of view. But I'm glad that this show is just going "nah" and is committing to its bit. I feel like the freedom to experiment is one of the advantages of streaming TV and I'm glad that, at least for this one, they've seen that and are running with it.

Im a nick at night borderline millenial so this stuff is definitely hitting some sort of button with me.
    I have no clue why a 26 year old European girl who was raised in a secret facility would know what any of this is but w/e

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It kinda threw me off that they used the Dick Van Dyke set in the first episode but Wanda had Mary Tyler Moore's famous trousers in the second (Bewitched) episode.

Otherwise I'm loving this tremendously.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

Im a nick at night borderline millenial so this stuff is definitely hitting some sort of button with me.
    I have no clue why a 26 year old European girl who was raised in a secret facility would know what any of this is but w/e

she was raised in sokovia, and later recruited to hydra for their experiments, she wasnt raised by them.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

I'm not familiar with Bewitched that much, but as kids we used to watch Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy on Slovenian TV every Sunday morning.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I'm loving this so far, but I also grew up on I Love Lucy reruns (it's my mom's favorite show, which is to say the only english speaking show she would ever actually pay attention to, and the only show we could truly watch together) so I may be biased.

However... 30 minute episodes released a week at a time? And like 5 of those minutes are the longest end credits in the world? Can we please go back to releasing all of a series at once or at least two episodes a week?

Yeah. If they hadn't released 1 & 2 together I probably wouldn't have bothered. It didn't 'click' for me until 2, ep 1 was sooooo slow and almost annoying to watch. But 2 was 'ahh this is what they're doing, ok I'm on board'.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    It kinda threw me off that they used the Dick Van Dyke set in the first episode but Wanda had Mary Tyler Moore's famous trousers in the second (Bewitched) episode.

The entire set changed episode to episode and they didn't acknowledge it (also very sitcom)

As someone who didn't grow up on Nick at nite, I am very glad to see you all call out these small touches.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I wonder how much of Wandavision is them looking at who they had and fitting a project to their actors.

My wife told me a story about how when they approached Paul Bettany for this project he thought they were letting him go from the MCU.

I do have to say he and Elizabeth Olsen really have a solid chemistry even in the old timey way the show presents it. I am intrigued and would like to know more.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Agnes did say that it was too late do anything about her fashion.

steam_sig.png
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    My wife told me a story about how when they approached Paul Bettany for this project he thought they were letting him go from the MCU.

From https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-paul-bettany-thought-marvel-studios-kevin-feige-firing-him-vision-marvel-cinematic-universe/:
    "So my contract was up, and I got a call from Kevin Feige saying, 'Can you come into the office?' And when the boss calls you up and says to come by the office when your contract is up, you know what that means," Bettany told The Hollywood Reporter. "So I looked at [wife] Jennifer [Connelly], and I was like, 'I'm outta here.'"

Bettany continued, "So I went in, and I didn't want anything to be uncomfortable between us all because it's been such a great time. So I walked in and said, 'Kevin and Louis [D'Esposito, Marvel Studios co-president], I love you. I totally get it. It's been a great run and no hard feelings.' And Kevin went, 'Wait, are you quitting?' And I went, 'No, aren't you firing me?' And he went, 'No, we were going to pitch you a TV show.' So I went, 'Oh, okay. Yeah, I'm in.' (Laughs.) So that's how that happened. I'm always thinking I'm about to get fired. I've spent my life thinking I'm about to get fired."

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    It was an understandable assumption - they did kill him off twice in about two minutes in his last appearance. :lol:

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe