As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Right DC Putsch thread 2

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I must be missing something for why they care so much about playing nice with McConnell so Harris doesn't have to come vote.

...what else is she going to be doing that's more important/effective?

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    The Teamsters have won the Hunts Point strike:
    The union announces they’ve won, that the bosses have given concessions and they’ve reached an agreement.
    Fire speeches now
    (Joshua Potash is an independent journalist/twitter person)

Video of AOC speaking.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    is.. is biden gonna keep being cool?

between EO saying trans women are women and expanding food access he's doing pretty alright on just those two metrics alone for the first week

It was always a safe bet that he'd be solid-to-good on this kind of low stakes EO stuff. Cynically, he can see where the wind blows. That's not to minimize the good it'll do of course, which is serious, but there's minimal push and pull, not a lot of deal cutting or risk etc. The real nail biting will be when it comes to big legislative pushes or foreign policy/security stuff.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I must be missing something for why they care so much about playing nice with McConnell so Harris doesn't have to come vote.

...what else is she going to be doing that's more important/effective?

They're just trying to set the rules for how the Senate is going to operate at this point, the same as every time there's ever been a change in the ruling party. Thing is, unless either McConnell and Schumer agree OR all 100 Senators agree on those rules the former ones are still in effect, which means all those committee chairs that had Republicans in them continue to have those Republicans instead of the Democrats that by rights have won the gavels.

This is unprecedented in living history as far as I'm aware.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

between EO saying trans women are women and expanding food access he's doing pretty alright on just those two metrics alone for the first week

I think he's learned a lot over the years and still has a sound mind. Folk kept maligning his age and past positions, but he seems to be doing a fine job? Maybe that's just being able to listen to the people that advise you? Also his faith matters. I'm an atheist but I have an admiration for catholics (Biden is a big ol catholic) because their faith tends to skew more humanitarian acceptance these days.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I assume schumer can unilaterally blow up the existing rules with 50+VP but it will take longer and be annoying, but of course mcconnel is doing what he does best, being an ambulatory tar swamp

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    For anyone looking for a handy list of all 30 executive orders, memoranda and directives signed by Biden since his inauguration, cnn has them all here along with short descriptions of what they do: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/politics/joe-biden-executive-orders-first-week/index.html

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    That AoC video, big white fist bump man really needs to pull his mask up.

edit: and also AoC you can yell through a mask have to do it all the time at work.

Weaver on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    that is super handy actually, thank you!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

The official account of ABC News Politics (American Broadcasting Company, natch):
    Senate Majority Leader Schumer outlines plans for the upcoming Senate impeachment trial: "Once the briefs are drafted, presentation by the parties will commence the week of February 8."

So Schumer gave McConnell the 2 week reprieve after all. I hope they got something good out of it

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a handy list of all 30 executive orders, memoranda and directives signed by Biden since his inauguration, cnn has them all here along with short descriptions of what they do: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/politics/joe-biden-executive-orders-first-week/index.html

The one he signed yesterday for FEMA is a big deal. Previously FEMA reimbursements for COVID-related expenses required a 25% local match, which in an economic downturn when cash flows are hurting is obviously a problem. Lot of localities were using money from the CARES Act to pay that match. The EO removes the local match requirement, so now those expenses are free if FEMA reimburses them (huge if to be fair).

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

It was always a safe bet that he'd be solid-to-good on this kind of low stakes EO stuff. Cynically, he can see where the wind blows. That's not to minimize the good it'll do of course, which is serious, but there's minimal push and pull, not a lot of deal cutting or risk etc. The real nail biting will be when it comes to big legislative pushes or foreign policy/security stuff.

Given that the Republicans couldn't even pass stuff they themselves supported, almost all of the actual changes of the past four years came from Trump EOs and position assignments. That's all super low-hanging fruit to fix and rack up a whole lot of 'wins' on. It is good that he's actually doing it, but I think the real test will be in a few months when the EOs are cleared out, the positions assigned, and further real improvements need the involvement of Congress.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Does punting the impeachment trial down the road 2 weeks actually matter at this point? IDK what purpose that serves at this point aint' like we're on a time limit anymore.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The reason why is because while the impeachment is going on, doing other work requires unanimous consent, which they wouldn't get, and Dems (rightfully) determined getting the cabinet approvals and covid relief and shit is more important.

Now why that's the case when they can set the roles, I don't know, but I've long since given up trying to make heads or tails over what's a norm v what's a law and otherwise with the fucking Senate.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Punting gives them time to get Biden moms approved and deduct the committees and senate rules.

Imagine McConnell making the trial 3 months long and refusing to hand over power in the meantime.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://apnews.com/article/race-and-ethnicity-biden-cabinet-lloyd-austin-army-4b92df07f4c319deeb7d6a94ae9af60a

Defense secretary fighting racism and extremism in military ranks.

Remember when the right freaked out over that report that terrorists would target American troops for recruitment?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    We should really stop the whole Bernie meme. It's too close to political idolatry.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    no it isn't

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ok, have fun.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    we should stop the bernie meme, but because I'm sick of it. I've never been so oversaturated with a single meme in my life

sig.gif
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    its a fast burning meme, it'll probably be out of fuel by next week, maybe a month. Gotta get them hits in fresh before it's burned out.

• Options
    He got asked about his gloves and was like (paraphrasing) Fuck you there's work to be done. Move on.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    its a fast burning meme, it'll probably be out of fuel by next week, maybe a month. Gotta get them hits in fresh before it's burnied out.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    we should stop the bernie meme, but because I'm sick of it. I've never been so oversaturated with a single meme in my life

I have seen far more saturation in number memes than this Bernie meme could ever hope to achieve.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

How many have you seen?

Over 9000?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    memes these days got a lifespan of like 4 days at most. ain't no one says shit about Bean Dad now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    memes are definitely idolatry

its why we all worship Kilroy

he was here, after all

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

I think he's learned a lot over the years and still has a sound mind. Folk kept maligning his age and past positions, but he seems to be doing a fine job? Maybe that's just being able to listen to the people that advise you? Also his faith matters. I'm an atheist but I have an admiration for catholics (Biden is a big ol catholic) because their faith tends to skew more humanitarian acceptance these days.

There's also that he's old and this is definitely the last job he's gonna have. He's old enough and has firsthand knowledge of how the job ages a person that he himself might possibly be thinking of only one term. Is this super incredibly optimistic and way to early to think this? Absolutely, but I'm allowed a moment of fancy fantasy before bed. If this is what Biden with no more fucks left to give looks like, keep it coming.

I'm just sad that EOs can be undone by the next person so easily.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    memes these days got a lifespan of like 4 days at most. ain't no one says shit about Bean Dad now

remember bean dad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    As memes go, this one is pretty dang harmless

Also one that I've seen folks get the most creative with in a fair while, it's really great

Veldrin on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    One last one for all you folks out there who are also fans of Bernie Sanders and 1989's Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero.

august on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    meme are definitely idolatry

its why we all worship Milroy

he was here, after all

wtnuydyrbdfy.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

remember bean dad

I liked bean dad a lot better when I thought the guy making fun of him who got called a fucking clown by his daughter was bean dad.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    If Bean Dad had waited until Wednesday to post his stupid shit no one would have even noticed

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Remember Balloon Boy

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bean dad lasted for all of half a day because I remember waking up around noon and people like blowing up about bean dad and I have no idea what it was even about and haven't seen it mentioned since and I still don't think I've seen a bean dad meme yet

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Remember Balloon Boy

No

Did Trump actually pardon Balloon Boy? Was that real?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Remember the lady who said that men only think short women are cute because they can control them?

As much as Beandad got swept away because of the insurection she got swept away because of Beandad.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.