Options

Advanced Table-Top RPG Thread: 2nd Edition

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    In our Starfinder game we adopted a whole bunch of Skittermanders.

We uh

we've had some... er... challenges with them.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My crew only adopts human beings. I've offered them domesticated foxes and robot dogs and they never even thought about flying off with one.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

We uh

Challenges how? They just want to be helpful!

(One of my favorite things in Starfinder is the story of the Vesk invasion of the Skittermander homeworld)

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Our party has a suicide pact, where every time one of our characters is killed they roll a Skittermander to replace them.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Just finished our one-shot, and holy shit my samurai did so much damage. I was held back by shitawful rolls, but if I did hit something it hurt. Did 74 damage to one creature, and did 106 to the boss (which also killed it). Plus the 15ft reach meant I hardly took damage since I stood way behind our barbarian lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

We uh

(One of my favorite things in Starfinder is the story of the Vesk invasion of the Skittermander homeworld)

Oh yeah, that's great. Vesk completely dumbfounded, Skittermanders "win" in that they get everything they want (to be helpful!) iirc?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Just finished our one-shot, and holy shit my samurai did so much damage. I was held back by shitawful rolls, but if I did hit something it hurt. Did 74 damage to one creature, and did 106 to the boss (which also killed it). Plus the 15ft reach meant I hardly took damage since I stood way behind our barbarian lol

Fighters have probably the best post 10 scaling and samurais are very silly

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Post... 10? Is that a thing? People make it past level 8 before the next edition rolls around?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've made it through 4+ 1-10+ level campaigns so far in 5e!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Oops, ignore me.

*holds up fig branch and rolls for stealth*

Okay, nobody noticed me. I shank Glal from stealth and replace him with a Skittermander with a fuzzy ear hat.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Hell, my group recently began a Theros campaign where we STARTED at 11.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    My 3.5 year Strahd campaign has everyone at level 10 and we'll probably gain 2-3 more before we hit Strahd. The DM has also offered to let us go off the rails and keep going if we wanted with appropriate scaling.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Hell, my group recently began a Theros campaign where we STARTED at 11.

*slaps Theros* This thing goes up to ιαʹ.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Post... 10? Is that a thing? People make it past level 8 before the next edition rolls around?

It's easier in D&D if you use milestones. I ran one campaign from 6th to 20th level that way. Now I'm actually using XP, but I've already gotten this party from 3rd to 7th in about four months.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    So I've got a player who chose to be a Shadar-Kai Way of the Long Death Monk who serves the Raven Queen, a goddess of death who hates undead other than revenants, who she creates with a year and a day to accomplish some task before dying permanently.

Another PC is a Hollow One, which are basically randomly-generated revenant-like undead, save that they can go on indefinitely and don't have a task to fulfill.

So far the two are in the party together because the Monk is interested in studying the Hollow One (Way of the Long Death is all about studying death), but this really does feel like a tension that should eventually come to a head in some way, though of course I don't actually want the Monk to try and destroy the Hollow One, and I doubt the player of the Hollow One would want his character to stop being a Hollow One in some way. I also expect that attempts to make the Hollow One into a Revenant with both a defined task and a year and a day lifespan would be unsatisfactory, too.

Another wrinkle is that the third player is playing a PC who bears a grudge against the Raven Queen because a family friend was temporarily a revenant that the Raven Queen claimed when his task was completed, despite the pleading of those who cared about him.

One idea I could propose to the player is that perhaps the Hollow One PC's nature is a mystery that the Raven Queen herself is behind as part of some kind of long-term plan. The character doesn't serve the Raven Queen, but perhaps she supernaturally stays the hand of her faithful for some purpose (maybe he's supposed to be a trap for someone who would be especially curious why the Raven Queen hasn't had him smited already).

The only problems with this are that it makes the character seem super important compared to everyone else since the goddess of death is allowing an unprecedented bending of her rules for him that she didn't allow for the character in the other NPC's backstory, and it hinges on him staying alive until his destiny (whatever that is) is achieved.

ALTHOUGH...maybe the whole point of the Raven Queen's plan is to make him seem very important to someone very curious about the secret behind his existence when he's really more of a red herring.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The thing about levels is that tracking XP is a fools errand, and milestone based leveling is fat better

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The thing about levels is that tracking XP is a fools errand, and milestone based leveling is fat better

The way I do it is instead of tracking XP for each PC individually I just take the XP total, divide it by the number of combatants on the players' side in battle, and use that result as the party's xp. I wanted something at least a little more structured for this campaign, which is a sandbox rather than a pre-planned storyline with clear milestones. If they end up a little bit short of the next level at the end of a session I bump it up to the required amount, too.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    My groups needs that XP end of battle splash screen.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So I've got a player who chose to be a Shadar-Kai Way of the Long Death Monk who serves the Raven Queen, a goddess of death who hates undead other than revenants, who she creates with a year and a day to accomplish some task before dying permanently.

Another PC is a Hollow One, which are basically randomly-generated revenant-like undead, save that they can go on indefinitely and don't have a task to fulfill.

So far the two are in the party together because the Monk is interested in studying the Hollow One (Way of the Long Death is all about studying death), but this really does feel like a tension that should eventually come to a head in some way, though of course I don't actually want the Monk to try and destroy the Hollow One, and I doubt the player of the Hollow One would want his character to stop being a Hollow One in some way. I also expect that attempts to make the Hollow One into a Revenant with both a defined task and a year and a day lifespan would be unsatisfactory, too.

Another wrinkle is that the third player is playing a PC who bears a grudge against the Raven Queen because a family friend was temporarily a revenant that the Raven Queen claimed when his task was completed, despite the pleading of those who cared about him.

One idea I could propose to the player is that perhaps the Hollow One PC's nature is a mystery that the Raven Queen herself is behind as part of some kind of long-term plan. The character doesn't serve the Raven Queen, but perhaps she supernaturally stays the hand of her faithful for some purpose (maybe he's supposed to be a trap for someone who would be especially curious why the Raven Queen hasn't had him smited already).

The only problems with this are that it makes the character seem super important compared to everyone else since the goddess of death is allowing an unprecedented bending of her rules for him that she didn't allow for the character in the other NPC's backstory, and it hinges on him staying alive until his destiny (whatever that is) is achieved.

ALTHOUGH...maybe the whole point of the Raven Queen's plan is to make him seem very important to someone very curious about the secret behind his existence when he's really more of a red herring.

Maybe the hollow one is carrying something in their soul that the Raven Queen would rather not have in the land of the dead?

Maybe they’re destined to go mad from their immortality, so the revenant is better off from a role playing stand point, even if it’ll never come up.

How about the hollow one is the work of an otherwise retired, exiled or dead god of death? Perhaps simply smiting them right now is a can of worms she’d rather not open.

Maybe goddesses can just be arbitrary like that since mortals are just pawns really. Even a good god is still so high up the food chain they’re lucky they notice them at all.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Maybe another god made a deal with the Raven Queen for this particular mortal to be created/spared? Favor trading is a thing among gods, usually.

I mean, ultimately, the significance it has is how much it warps the PCs actions to internal investigating rather than following the threads of whatever main plots you have going, and/or how much you want to incorporate it into said plot. The Raven Queen doesn't owe anyone answers to how she operates, after all.

• Options
    the way Adventures League aka the official D&D thing does levels, is that you gain one every 4 hours of play

also, the latest adventure path Rime of the Frostmaiden uses milestones instead

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    D&D is fundamentally not built to handle xp-based leveling. It could be, without too much pain, but ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

Milestone is so much easier.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm thinking up loot to hand out to my PCs and just had an idea for a fun magic item.

False Decanter of Endless Water - Though the Identify spell registers this as a Decanter of Endless Water, and it appears to be a transparent container of water, removing the stopper and using one of following three command words has these effects:
    - "Stream" produces one swarm of spiders.
    - "Fountain" produces five swarms of spiders.
    - "Geyser" produces three giant spiders and twelve swarms of spiders.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I'm thinking up loot to hand out to my PCs and just had an idea for a fun magic item.

False Decanter of Endless Water - Though the Identify spell registers this as a Decanter of Endless Water, and it appears to be a transparent container of water, removing the stopper and using one of following three command words has these effects:

that's a great way for a warlock with an invisible familiar to break every encounter

• Options
    edited January 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that's a great way for a warlock with an invisible familiar to break every encounter

Good point! Since this is intended to be more of a one-off surprise than a game-breaking tool, let me make the following changes:

- The decanter functions as a Decanter of Endless Water when used by a drow unless they wish otherwise.
    - The decanter can only be used in a way that summons spiders by non-drow once per day. Drow may use the decanter this way an extra time.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    alternately the spiders are not friendly to non-lolth worshipers or whatever and it's basically a cursed item

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    D&D is fundamentally not built to handle xp-based leveling. It could be, without too much pain, but ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

It was back when the game was primarily dungeon delving and getting phat lewt. The way D&D is being played is what's changed over the years.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

We uh

One of them found a welding tool.

They were... Very helpful. With the welding tool.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    alternately the spiders are not friendly to non-lolth worshipers or whatever and it's basically a cursed item

Oh, yeah, that's a given.

The whole of my intent with this magic item is for the party to use it for water and instead get spiders that immediately attack them.

I'm also considering making a magic spoon that enhances taste have a 1 out of 20 chance of transforming food placed in the user's mouth into spiders.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    oh I see, misunderstood what pip meant

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    spider are overdone

why have only 8 legs when you could have dozens! that's right, upgrade to venomous biting centipedes and get more bug out of your curses

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    My Starfinder rat medic has a three legged dog she rides that can fire lasers from its mouth.

It took 3 feats, 5 points in a worthless skill, half of my equipment worth in credits and it's not particularly effective, but she gets to ride a dog that fires lasers from its mouth into battle.

It is I, that person in your campaign that tries to adopt everything, ask me anything.

In the V5 game my friend is running I started playing a Tzimisce once they became available, and when I mentioned my character was an aspiring Koldun he offered to let me swap out Animalism with Blood Sorcery. I agreed... then spent some of my starting experience to grab Animalism as an out of clan discipline so I could have a pupper anyway. I have since modified her with snake fangs and scales.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

I prefer milestones just because it feels more rewarding.

But XP can serve a purpose as well. Particularly for encouraging less experienced groups to work their way around traps and combat. It lets them actually see that it's a viable way to just fighting all the time to advance.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    You can see the influence MMO's have had on D&D though with the leveling system ideal and encounters

• Options
    I think that influence runs the other direction, D&D was already structured like that in the early 90s, which inspired the multi-user dungeon games that eventually evolved into the first MMOs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure I can point to anything in D&D that was clearly influenced by MMOs. Even the much maligned gameplay of 4E is just backporting some mechanics that MMOs used to adapt the D&D concept of fighters standing in front to protect squishier party members into a system where (a) there was no DM to guide monster actions and (b) characters had no collision detection. 4E doesn't even really implement the holy trinity and is far more akin to Final Fantasy Tactics than World of Warcraft.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I like XP when it's blunt and short: Specific triggers giving low amounts that need low amounts to level up or buy an improvement.

Otherwise it's just a big number that eventually allows me to get bigger numbers and it's about as exciting as paint drying.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I like XP when it's blunt and short: Specific triggers giving low amounts that need low amounts to level up or buy an improvement.

Otherwise it's just a big number that eventually allows me to get bigger numbers and it's about as exciting as paint drying.

It me
    4cofd22pdpgy.jpeg

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Level six or seven I feel is the sweet spot to stop using XP and start using milestones.

It's where you start hitting low five digits and feels bloated.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I find that I suffer from anxiety when I think about DM'ing. I haven't dm'ed my daughter in months, and when I tried to.play my undersea campaign, we ended it after about an hour. I just... can't seem to think when I'm behind the screen.

I really wanted to finish up the Lost Mines of Phandelver and get back to my own stuff too.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.